• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Deshaun Watson get a Ben Roethlisberger-style Punishment, or a Pass?

It’s pretty obvious they gave him 11 games so his first game back will be @Houston. Never let a marketing opportunity go to waste.

For Watson this is not a big enough punishment. He specifically negotiated his contract assuming this year would be lost. This allows him to play long enough this year that they can possibly make the playoffs if the team is around .500 when he takes over.

For the Browns, this is a worst case scenario. It’s a long enough suspension that it can tank the season, and it will lead to cap issues next year. I heard somewhere that in terms of cap, the browns would be much better offf if Watson got a full season suspension, because then they’d be able to do some kind of contract maneuvers that would help the cap next year. Now they will have a big cap hit and they will have some big free agents next year.

The Browns could end up next year tied to Watson’s huge salary and a team that has a bunch of holes due to cap issues.

It’s pretty obvious they gave him 11 games so his first game back will be @Houston. Never let a marketing opportunity go to waste.

For Watson this is not a big enough punishment. He specifically negotiated his contract assuming this year would be lost. This allows him to play long enough this year that they can possibly make the playoffs if the team is around .500 when he takes over.

For the Browns, this is a worst case scenario. It’s a long enough suspension that it can tank the season, and it will lead to cap issues next year. I heard somewhere that in terms of cap, the browns would be much better offf if Watson got a full season suspension, because then they’d be able to do some kind of contract maneuvers that would help the cap next year. Now they will have a big cap hit and they will have some big free agents next year.

The Browns could end up next year tied to Watson’s huge salary and a team that has a bunch of holes due to cap issues.
Meh they can just trade their next two number 1s after the trade deadline.

Oh the Brownsish scenarios I am envisioning… the Watsonless browns, hanging in the past playoff spot, reinstall Watson and lose out

The Watsonless browns are way out of contention by week 13 and are getting pummeled in PR so they hold him out for tge rest of tge season and he gets pissed and demands a trade..

The Watsonless browns have a really bad year and finish in the bottom part of the draft, skipping drafting a qb because tgey have Watson, just to see a couple of the guys become franchise QBs, then Watson gets nailed again.......

Sometimes you have to let Karma play its hand…

I believe that was his intention all along....................

Salute the nation

How much does he earns in a yearly avg? 12/17th of that is what the fine should have been. At least

Because his contract was minipulated for the 1st year in anticipation of this suspension those 11 games will cost him $666,666.66. PLUS the 5 million fine.

He got off to cheap. It should have cost him 17 game paychecks plus a 10 million $ fine.

I also heard the NFL & NFLPA are each contributing 1 million to the cause. ALL the money will go to women's groups.

There is mandated counciling and progress evaluation also involved.............. YET he says he is innocent.

Salute the nation

Because his contract was minipulated for the 1st year in anticipation of this suspension those 11 games will cost him $666,666.66. PLUS the 5 million fine.

He got off to cheap. It should have cost him 17 game paychecks plus a 10 million $ fine.

I also heard the NFL & NFLPA are each contributing 1 million to the cause. ALL the money will go to women's groups.

There is mandated counciling and progress evaluation also involved.............. YET he says he is innocent.

Salute the nation
he should get some hair extensions to get that Predator look going.

The NFL seemed afraid of the NFLPA taking this to court. The NFL should have called that bluff. Give the full year suspension and then defer the fine until next season. Dare them to sue. Dare them to stand up and defend this serial sexual harasser. The worst thing that would happen to Watson would be if he actually won that suit and was allowed to play early. The public outcry would have been huge.

I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet. What happens if there are protests week after week at the stadium?

I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet. What happens if there are protests week after week at the stadium?
90% of Ohio thinks he's innocent, so all the protests, if any, would be on the road.
Add to that, Watson doesn't fit the profile to have organized protests against him.
Now, if Tim Tebow got caught doing this, the media would guarantee he received prison time.

Salute the nation

How ironic are all those 6’s? 🤔🤘👹

When he was a Texan he would talk about God and righteousness in interviews. Now he sounds like a thug.

The NFL seemed afraid of the NFLPA taking this to court. The NFL should have called that bluff. Give the full year suspension and then defer the fine until next season. Dare them to sue. Dare them to stand up and defend this serial sexual harasser. The worst thing that would happen to Watson would be if he actually won that suit and was allowed to play early. The public outcry would have been huge.

All in good therory tapeANaspirin2it, but the NFL wants this quiet as well as the browns do. It's bad for the "GREED MACHINE". They must feel that the 12 week (11 game) suspension was just enough to satify the women's groups (keep to small rumbling) combined to what existing presidence has been shown.

I'm with you saying he should have been fined more but Game Checks corrilate to when suspension is served and the actual fine could have been made way bigger, like 10 million. Extending this into a major leagal battle adds even more publicity and the GREED MACHINE wnts it out of the spot light as well.

I don't see Watson regaining his best form from the long absence from the feild of play.

Salute the nation

I'm hearing that since the arbitration process that was used was agreed on by Goodell and the NFLPA, that if he tries to go around it then Watson and/or the NFLPA can take him to court and Goodell will probably lose.
Ben is retired, I'm done defending what happened or didn't happen. Should we retry Lewis, Rice or another hundred guys who did something. Its over. I agree the final decision on this ends the Browns season. They will not be in position to make the playoffs after their starting Q is gone for 11 games. At best they could play spoiler to a team like the Steelers. The arbitrator had it at 5 games. The league wanted the season, they clearly had certain leverages, they split the difference at 11. He was not convicted or even indicted of a crime and like the Midgeville prosecutor said "We prosecute crimes not morales". I think Deshaun Watson is a POS. He is a sleeze, but its a slippery slope when sleezey gets you a lifetime ban. I think in the end the Browns will pay the price. I think they paid a ton for a guy with 2 more wins then losses with massive baggage. Like I said I would imagine at the opening of training camp they introduced Borris the new team masseur and the only person giving massages to anyone in the oganization.

Deshaun Watson has two ways to proceed forward, either he can totally change and show remorse or proceed as a thug preditor only disguised better.

Which will he pursue?

BEN immeadiately took the change route and proceeded to make himself a way better person. He did that by admitting he had a problem and proceeded to right that ship. All this happened in a very timely mannor.

Contrair to Watson having a lot of time lapse he has shown NO remorse or seeked any mentorship of change.

Where will Deshaun end up in this journey of life has yet to be determined but currently he has NOT started to right the ship as he is still in denial which translates to he hasn't hit rock bottom as of yet.

I'm saddened to see what is yet to come....................

Salute the nation

Deshaun Watson has two ways to proceed forward, either he can totally change and show remorse or proceed as a thug preditor only disguised better.

Which will he pursue?

BEN immeadiately took the change route and proceeded to make himself a way better person. He did that by admitting he had a problem and proceeded to right that ship. All this happened in a very timely mannor.

Contrair to Watson having a lot of time lapse he has shown NO remorse or seeked any mentorship of change.

Where will Deshaun end up in this journey of life has yet to be determined but currently he has NOT started to right the ship as he is still in denial which translates to he hasn't hit rock bottom as of yet.

Salute the nation

👍👍👍

Which will he pursue?

Salute the nation
Look, I'm not bashing Ben. However, to say that he "immediately took the change route" is revising history more than a little bit. If he had immediately learned his lesson about hangers-on, his behaviors, avoiding bad situations, etc. The second incident wouldn't have happened because he wouldn't have been anywhere near those sorority girls (and his security detail wouldn't have let them near him).

As for Watson, he's scum. He's acted like scum with those ladies. He's acted like scum when he was sued. He's acted like scum throughout the NFL investigation/suspension proceeding. And his continued denials are more of him acting like scum. Don't expect a "mea culpa" from him anytime soon ... at least one that's not financially motivated and/or PR driven.

The important thing to note is that tge NFL has it in the agreement that he sees a third party psychiatrist and that person clears him to return, otherwise he isn’t reinstated after 11 games….

Tgere is no guarantee that if he continues to deny responsibility and say what he did isn’t wrong that they let him play… that is part of the agreement

Look, I'm not bashing Ben. However, to say that he "immediately took the change route" is revising history more than a little bit. If he had immediately learned his lesson about hangers-on, his behaviors, avoiding bad situations, etc. The second incident wouldn't have happened because he wouldn't have been anywhere near those sorority girls (and his security detail wouldn't have let them near him).

As for Watson, he's scum. He's acted like scum with those ladies. He's acted like scum when he was sued. He's acted like scum throughout the NFL investigation/suspension proceeding. And his continued denials are more of him acting like scum. Don't expect a "mea culpa" from him anytime soon ... at least one that's not financially motivated and/or PR driven.
Perhaps Ben acted as he did, with the second incident, because of the other folks involved. He was not alone; there were a bunch friends, some cops, partying....maybe too hard, too openly. Maybe Ben was a team player then also.

I hear yaz SteelBuckeye but I was reffering to after the Millageville incident (i should have been clearer on that). He took pretty fast direction of change in comparison to our Watson player.

BEN was no saint but he has managed to clean up his act and WATSON should inspire to take those same steps in becoming a better human being. I'm in your boat as I highly doubt Deshon will right his ship but I will always hope he can..

Salute the nation

Perhaps Ben acted as he did, with the second incident, because of the other folks involved. He was not alone; there were a bunch friends, some cops, partying....maybe too hard, too openly. Maybe Ben was a team player then also.
Difference with Ben is that there was a decent amount of evidence that both women were willing participants. They only raised a fuss afterward because he was a douchebag (and also the babe at the hotel was crazy). Hence no criminal charges.

The important thing to note is that tge NFL has it in the agreement that he sees a third party psychiatrist and that person clears him to return, otherwise he isn’t reinstated after 11 games….

Tgere is no guarantee that if he continues to deny responsibility and say what he did isn’t wrong that they let him play… that is part of the agreement

True beans but saying the right stuff and acting the part is easy if you want the end results bad enough (field of play). We will never know if he truly means what he says to get reinstated other than what his actions show..

When I had read that the phsyco-evaluation was also manditory I was way more happy in that regards. I do hope he makes progress and becomes a MUCH better citizen in the future.

Salute the nation