• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Obama pardon Clinton? And if he does, will she accept?

Spike

Reaction score
Executive orders barring offshore drilling in most U.S. Arctic waters; an abstention at the U.N. permitting the Security Council to declare all Israeli settlement activity to be illegal and an obstacle to peace; the possibility of further action at the U.N. to formalize the administration's comprehensive vision of a two-state solution to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict

In dashing through his last few weeks in office, will one of Obama's final acts be to pardon Hillary Clinton for any violations of federal law she might have committed while she was secretary of State?

We should first note that the Obama administration's decision not to prosecute Clinton would not bind the Trump administration. Until relevant statutes of limitations have expired, she could still be prosecuted by the new administration.

That question seems to be a proverbial no-brainer. Surely, any person who had been in federal government would be eager to receive a presidential pardon, because it eliminates even the possibility of federal prosecution. That looks like all upside and no downside.

But there is a downside, and it isn't trivial. A pardon must be accepted by the person who is pardoned if it is to effectively stymie any prosecution.

Furthermore, there is solid legal precedent that acceptance of a pardon is equivalent to confession of guilt.

Because acceptance of a pardon amounts to a confession of guilt, the acceptance by Clinton would, to a degree, besmirch both Clinton and also Obama. After all, Clinton was Obama's secretary of State. If she was committing illegal acts as secretary, it happened literally on his watch.

On the other hand, if the new administration were to prosecute and convict Clinton of crimes committed while she was secretary, that might be an even greater embarrassment for Obama post-presidency.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...the-interruption-clinton-allegation-may-force

-----------------------------

21 DAYS!!!

Donald-Trumps-reaction-to-Hilary-Clintons-conceding-call-640x357-600x335.png

I don't see a pardon. But Trump's justice department can investigate Clinton's smelly foundation littered with Iranian money.

How can she be pardoned if she hasn't been convicted?

How can she be pardoned if she hasn't been convicted?

That's not how presidential pardons work

It's not necessary for someone to be charged or convicted of a crime to receive a pardon. Ford pardoned Nixon, in 1974, although Nixon hadn't been charged or convicted of a crime.

Can't pardon someone that hasn't even been charged with a crime... let alone convicted of one. Don't you think if there was anything out there that they could use to charge her with a crime, the republicans would have found it by now.

The only thing I can think of charging her with might be that foundation. I'd like to know if that's on the up and up. As far as the e mail thingy goes: pardon her for being stupid?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hard to say. Bomma and the Clintons don't like each other, on the other hand it would be good for the Dem party if He did.

The Clintons should have kept their mouths shut and accepted their humiliating defeat.

Clinton Investigation Back On: FBI Agents In NY Ordered To Continue Foundation Probe

Officials at FBI headquarters instructed its New York field office to continue its corruption investigation into the Clinton Foundation following the election of Republican candidate Donald Trump, according to a former senior law enforcement official.

The instructions ordered agents to “go forward” with their ongoing inquiry into the Clinton Foundation which is focusing on issues of corruption and money laundering, according to the source.

“There were no instructions to shut it down, to discontinue or to stand down on the investigation, but to continue its work"

http://dailycallernewsfoundation.or...ice-told-to-continue-clinton-foundation-probe

I think that by pardoning her he would be vindicating the Republican investigations and he doesn't want to do that. I don't think think he will but he is pretty ballsy so I could be wrong. If he does it think she will accept it readily. She would play it off as protection against the crazy, right-wing conspiracies. It's just a Russian plot right?

I think that by pardoning her he would be vindicating the Republican investigations and he doesn't want to do that. I don't think think he will but he is pretty ballsy so I could be wrong. If he does it think she will accept it readily. She would play it off as protection against the crazy, right-wing conspiracies. It's just a Russian plot right?

If He doesn't pardon her then it looks like that mean old Trump is going after her for political reasons (nevermind that the investigations started under Bomma) and they'll play that up for all it's worth. Or Trump could not investigate further and risk getting his own party pissed off. If Bomma doesn't pardon her then Trump loses either way.

If He doesn't pardon her then it looks like that mean old Trump is going after her for political reasons (nevermind that the investigations started under Bomma) and they'll play that up for all it's worth. Or Trump could not investigate further and risk getting his own party pissed off. If Bomma doesn't pardon her then Trump loses either way.

Yep. Aren't they clever? Who would see through such a well thought out plan? Certainly not their sycophants.

Yep. Aren't they clever? Who would see through such a well thought out plan? Certainly not their sycophants.

It's a matter of will Bomma do what's good for His party or what will make Trump look bad as well as hurt the Hildebeast who He doesn't like anyway?
I think I can see where the smart money is going.

Don't you think if there was anything out there that they could use to charge her with a crime, the republicans would have found it by now.

There may be enough evidence, but not a DOJ that is willing to charge.

WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton will not get a pardon from President Obama.

If Obama is to be kept to his word, neither will former CIA director David Petraeus, convicted Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard, intelligence contractor Edward Snowden or Pvt. Chelsea Manning, all of whom were accused or convicted of mishandling classified information.

The reason is simple: None of them has applied to the Office of the Pardon Attorney for executive clemency.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons-clinton-snowden-pardon-attorney/93784856/

AYQdMON.png

Nobody gives a **** about Hillary anymore, besides the paranoid alt right, of course. You won, move on.

Nobody gives a **** about Hillary anymore, besides the paranoid alt right, of course. You won, move on.

Nope.

The rule of law maters. As somebody who was warned about disclosing classified under penalty of prison the idea of Hildebeast getting a pass for mishandling classified documents is infuriating. Whats more it gives the impression that there is a separate law for the politically connected. That can't be allowed to happen.

Nope.

The rule of law maters. As somebody who was warned about disclosing classified under penalty of prison the idea of Hildebeast getting a pass for mishandling classified documents is infuriating. Whats more it gives the impression that there is a separate law for the politically connected. That can't be allowed to happen.

In all my years (35) of working for the Government I was never cautioned about receiving or sending classified e mail on my personal accounts. And the last 20 years I had to attend yearly security training sessions. And I held a secret clearance. We were cautioned about using Government internet and e mail for personal reasons. But never about storing, receiving and sending classified from a personal server. I used to take things home at night and when I finished my project I would e mail it to my Government address. My command didn't care, all they knew was the project was complete and they didn't have to pay overtime.

In all my years (35) of working for the Government I was never cautioned about receiving or sending classified e mail on my personal accounts. And the last 20 years I had to attend yearly security training sessions. And I held a secret clearance. We were cautioned about using Government internet and e mail for personal reasons. But never about storing, receiving and sending classified from a personal server. I used to take things home at night and when I finished my project I would e mail it to my Government address. My command didn't care, all they knew was the project was complete and they didn't have to pay overtime.

I don't know why that is.

In the military everything was hand receipted, and kept under lock and key with two man integrity. The things Hildebeast did are the same reason General Petraeus is now on Federal probation and paid a $100K fine for. I know the SEC STATE has more sensitive things in possession than a Sgt at a BDE HQ.

I don't know why that is.

In the military everything was hand receipted, and kept under lock and key with two man integrity. The things Hildebeast did are the same reason General Petraeus is now on Federal probation and paid a $100K fine for. I know the SEC STATE has more sensitive things in possession than a Sgt at a BDE HQ.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Petreus was blabbing to his girl friend? I've handled so called secret plans before and they were just kept in a safe. All I had to do was request to look at them, no problem. I think if Hillary was sharing some of this info with people who weren't trust worthy that'd be a different deal. I can see now where this would be an issue but I think it needs congress to fix it. I think the only reason Hillary set it up this was so congress wouldn't be able to question as to what kind of deals she was making behind their backs. Congress is the ones that need to fix it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Petreus was blabbing to his girl friend? I've handled so called secret plans before and they were just kept in a safe. All I had to do was request to look at them, no problem. I think if Hillary was sharing some of this info with people who weren't trust worthy that'd be a different deal. I can see now where this would be an issue but I think it needs congress to fix it. I think the only reason Hillary set it up this was so congress wouldn't be able to question as to what kind of deals she was making behind their backs. Congress is the ones that need to fix it.

No Petraeus had documents at his home and unsecured. Per regs there is no difference between electronic or hard copy documents.

Obama can't pardon Hillary. That would imply Hillary did something wrong, or is Obama finally admitting Hillary did something wrong?

That would be just as hard for him to say as to say "Islamic terrorism".