• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Yea Starbucks

Coffee preference really, really depends on how you drink it.

The starbucks crowd is predominantly mixing the (designed) very strong and bitter coffees with cream/sugar and other additives. You need a strong base to hold up to that.

I am a black coffee drinker and starbucks can be overly powerful. It's not bad, just different. Almost a full cup of espresso (which I enjoy as well).

There is also a "texture" to coffee in the mouth. Some like their coffee very "thin" and filtered. Dunkin Donuts is the king of this style. I'm not a fan. Too me it's flavored, colored water.

That said, coffee can also be too "dirty". People that espouse French press coffee (and say that is the best way to make coffee) love the texture of having some degree of coffee particles/powder floating around.

I'm kind of in the middle.

Once you get past strength, bitterness and texture, THEN, based on how it is prepared what what it is mixed with do you start to get into the subtlety of bean/grounds flavor profiles. I much prefer getting the strength and texture correct in my black coffee than worrying about flavor profiles. I like almost all of them at that point (although I seem to prefer Colombian).

We are all different. You can't really say "I like so-and-so coffee" without also telling me how you LIKE your coffee. Cream, sugar, flavorings completely need all different base coffees to be effective and good.

The starbucks crowd is predominantly mixing the (designed) very strong and bitter coffees with cream/sugar and other additives. You need a strong base to hold up to that.

I am a black coffee drinker and starbucks can be overly powerful. It's not bad, just different. Almost a full cup of espresso (which I enjoy as well).

There is also a "texture" to coffee in the mouth. Some like their coffee very "thin" and filtered. Dunkin Donuts is the king of this style. I'm not a fan. Too me it's flavored, colored water.

That said, coffee can also be too "dirty". People that espouse French press coffee (and say that is the best way to make coffee) love the texture of having some degree of coffee particles/powder floating around.

Once you get past strength, bitterness and texture, THEN, based on how it is prepared what what it is mixed with do you start to get into the subtlety of bean/grounds flavor profiles. I much prefer getting the strength and texture correct in my black coffee than worrying about flavor profiles. I like almost all of them at that point (although I seem to prefer Colombian).

We are all different. You can't really say "I like so-and-so coffee" without also telling me how you LIKE your coffee. Cream, sugar, flavorings completely need all different base coffees to be effective and good.

Yeah, but Starbucks sucks.

I used to grind beans fresh and use a French press, probably for about a year. I loved it. And then, boom, all of a sudden it just became a big pain in the ***. Now I use a drip maker and set the timer at night so it's ready as soon as I wake up.

The old percolators make a cup of coffee very similar to Dunkin Donuts. It's "thin" like that. Very little texture.

I kind of miss my old school drip coffee. My wife and I converted 100% to Kuerig. She was using it every weekday before work and I was only using drip on the weekends. One day the drip pot broke and instead of getting a new one, we just Kuerig all weekend now.

But I think drip makes the best cup of coffee. Good beans, freshly ground, a little strong with the brown filters and that's a very good cup of coffee in my opinion. Tough to beat that anywhere. Problem with drip coffee makers is it doesn't really keep. After about 1-2 hours, you can taste the difference from the heater.

Denny's still makes the best coffee

I agree with most of your post. You're right, it's about taste.

I'm a cream and sugar guy. Always have been (sue me world, I like it that way).

Starbucks coffee is so rancid and strong, you need to dedicate nearly 1/4 of your grande size cup of coffee for creamer so the black color even changes shades. You need to put MORE sugar in to cut the bitterness than other coffees. The base is so strong, you have to over cream and over sugar the coffee.

I like the Dunkin smooth filtered blend. Cream and sugar are absorbed into the brew and you don't need so damned much. It tastes smooth. I disagree that DD is "thin." When I filter brewed, I ground my own beans (DD beans) and I'm a guy that would fill the filter 3/4 of the way with beans. I like the flavor to be strong. Frankly a cup from a DD store tastes no different to me than that filter brew I would make at home. Maybe I'm hung up on the word thin. I think of it as smooth instead of thin.

I agree about drip coffee. It's the best fresh out of the pot and yes in 1-2 hours it's just not the same sitting on the burner. I switched to the Keurig so I get a consistent (albeit not the best) cup of coffee each time (and I'm always on the run so it's nice to get a cup in a couple minutes). Each time it's the same and yes I use DD k-cups and DD creamer.

Sucking one down now.

Oh and blech to drinking any coffee with grinds floating around. Why not just go crunch on a coffee bean? haha.

To each their own in the coffee world.

Last edited:
We still wanna know why their coffee tastes like such garbage though...

Have her write us a short report please. Thanks!

Here ya go Tim..

You can’t please all of the people.. all of the time.
Give your business to Dunkins, McDonalds, or WaWa.
Not to worry...Starbucks will be fine

End of report.

I buy my coffee from an Italian guy who owns a gelato and espresso shop and also owns the best Italian restaurant in the Midwest. Luciow doesn’t **** around. I was a Lavazzo fan for years. Now I’m on Umbria. Illy, Gevalia... whatever you pick, Italian coffee rules.

Is that the one in Clay Terrace?

I agree with most of your post. You're right, it's about taste.

I'm a cream and sugar guy. Always have been (sue me world, I like it that way).

Starbucks coffee is so rancid and strong, you need to dedicate nearly 1/4 of your grande size cup of coffee for creamer so the black color even changes shades. You need to put MORE sugar in to cut the bitterness than other coffees. The base is so strong, you have to over cream and over sugar the coffee.

I like the Dunkin smooth filtered blend. Cream and sugar are absorbed into the brew and you don't need so damned much. It tastes smooth. I disagree that DD is "thin." When I filter brewed, I ground my own beans (DD beans) and I'm a guy that would fill the filter 3/4 of the way with beans. I like the flavor to be strong. Frankly a cup from a DD store tastes no different to me than that filter brew I would make at home. Maybe I'm hung up on the word thin. I think of it as smooth instead of thin.

I agree about drip coffee. It's the best fresh out of the pot and yes in 1-2 hours it's just not the same sitting on the burner. I switched to the Keurig so I get a consistent (albeit not the best) cup of coffee each time (and I'm always on the run so it's nice to get a cup in a couple minutes). Each time it's the same and yes I use DD k-cups and DD creamer.

Sucking one down now.

Oh and blech to drinking any coffee with grinds floating around. Why not just go crunch on a coffee bean? haha.

To each their own in the coffee world.

My wife does cream and sugar (or flavored creamers with sugar added) and she likes Dunkin Donuts too.

"Thin" is a weird adjective for it but it's hard to find the one I want. If you take a cup of black coffee from Dunkin vs. Starbucks and tilt it along a white Styrofoam cup, light actually goes through Dunkin coffee very easily. Although it looks blacker (coffee should have some brown coloring too it), when you spread it out, the black is very transparent.

Also, when I say "thin" I also mean a texture closest to water. Milk has a creamy texture. Maybe a texture like soup broth is what I like in my coffee. There is a difference between good soup broth and water in your mouth. I think a good cup of coffee should have that somehow (mostly from dissolved or very, very fine grounds).

Honestly, you probably only really notice it when you drink it black. The cream changes the texture (thin or course) towards creamy regardless of the starting point. And you are correct, to get creamy, starting with Dunkin coffee is probably easier to get there than with Starbucks or a courser, textured coffee.

Edit: And BTW, instant coffees are absolutely the WORST. It's not even coffee in my opinion.

Great review. Wife and I like artificial sweetener and creamer in our coffee. We like French Roast. Very strong flavor that mellows out with the sweetener and creamer.

Our favorite? Starbucks. Tried several others, but just too damn weak for me. I put in a LOT of coffee for each pot I brew - basically 8 tablespoons for a pot that holds 10 cups (or 3 mugs) of coffee.

I drink mine black. 5 tablespoons in a 12 cup pot. Steeltime is drinking a slurry.

I drink mine black. 5 tablespoons in a 12 cup pot. Steeltime is drinking a slurry.

Just a little sweetener and cream to smooth out coffee's natural bitterness, Indy. And to be fair, French Roast can be more bitter than that Stanford law professor.

Just a little sweetener and cream to smooth out coffee's natural bitterness, Indy. And to be fair, French Roast can be more bitter than that Stanford law professor.

Yeah, she's a real *****. Ugly inside and out.

Yeah, she's a real *****. Ugly inside and out.

WTF is the deal with liberal women and the law?? Seriously:

dvorak__3261457639232.jpg

pamela-karlan-rex-ftr.jpg

shutterstock_9672504b_0.jpg

Good God, man, these hags should be spokeswomen for eye bleach.