• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

You gotta be ******' crazy.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
to even want to be a police officer in this country, much less in ANY community that has any kind of minority population in it.

Way to much bullshit to deal with. Entirely too dangerous. **** it. Let them police themselves. That's what they want anyway. Anybody doesn't like that, they can move away.

And if you're dumb enough to live in a community with minimal police protection - buy some ******* guns and learn how to use them. and don't be shy.

I agree.

I think cops should HAVE to live in the neighborhoods they patrol.

Abolish the war on drugs and violent crime will halve itself in under a decade. Make it federal law that all police officers must live in the districts they patrol. Abolish gun control and encourage open carry.

You'd see the safest streets in the history of America, and cops that are revered instead of reviled.

So if you work hard and take on a high risk, low reward job you should also be forced to live in shitholes among people who do nothing but cause problems all day? And raise your children there?

Yeah, way to make sure NO ONE ever signs up for the job.

So if you work hard and take on a high risk, low reward job you should also be forced to live in shitholes among people who do nothing but cause problems all day? And raise your children there?

Yeah, way to make sure NO ONE ever signs up for the job.

You should be invested in the communities in which you work.

I feel the same way about state/local politicians. They should be required to actually live in the districts they represent.

With cops, this cuts down on the cowboy factor. Before the Army I was a police cadet. I can tell you that WAY too many bros join the PD because they want to kick ***. Not nearly enough join because they want to serve the community. Action junkies do not make good cops, and YouTube is rife with evidence of this.

You should be invested in the communities in which you work.

I feel the same way about state/local politicians. They should be required to actually live in the districts they represent.

With cops, this cuts down on the cowboy factor. Before the Army I was a police cadet. I can tell you that WAY too many bros join the PD to kick ***. Not nearly enough to serve the community. Action junkies do not make good cops, and YouTube is rife with evidence of this.

Nice sentiment but if you tell people they have to live and raise their families in drug and gang invested ghettos you won't find many willing to do it. There are few enough reasons to become a police officer as it is.

Youtube is rife with anecdotes. Police interact with 63 million people every year and the vast, vast majority are unharmed in any way.

I agree.

Abolish the war on drugs and violent crime will halve itself in under a decade. Make it federal law that all police officers must live in the districts they patrol. Abolish gun control and encourage open carry.

You'd see the safest streets in the history of America, and cops that are revered instead of reviled.

Fred wrote about this very subject last year SV. Interesting evaluation and seemingly similar to your views...I think.

Questions for Black Lives Matter:The Case for Separation
https://fredoneverything.org/questions-for-black-lives-matterthe-case-for-separation/

I reading the endless complaints by blacks about shootings by the police, I usually find it hard to know what really happened. As far as I am aware, the media never allow an unedited interview, or any interview, with the police charged with the shootings but allow endless commentary by people who weren’t there.

I am also often puzzled by the motivation of the cops. Do they confer in the morning and say, “Hey, let’s shoot some totally innocent black guy in front of witnesses who probably have cell phones?” And why are cops not brutalizing Latinos, only blacks, especially in LA, which provides a target-rich environment?

If I could, I would speak to BLM as follows:

I cannot determine what you want. There seems to be a great deal of anger but little clarity. Discussion usually wanders off into demands for justice, but without specifics.

I agree.

That sounds good, but seriously...some of these inner city neighborhoods would not have any cops if that were the case and they would be the ones with the most crime. Cops aren't going to move there and the current population of these communities are most likely not filled with qualified candidates.

Chip-

BLM is a messy movement with no clear leadership or philosophy. Just like the Confederate protestors, they are a motley crew of loosely connected allies.

And I'm not calling for segregation. I'm saying I welcome white officers to work in Black communities. But you gotta come down here and break bread. You can't just roll in here, whoop *** from 10-6, then drive 70 miles away to avoid the fallout. You have to be accountable.

As for latinos, I lived in LA. My family is from there. I can assure you that Hispanic people have a long and well documented history of being brutalized by the LAPD. It's just not good copy for the news media. They want Black/white stories because that sells newspapers and airtime.

That sounds good, but seriously...some of these inner city neighborhoods would not have any cops if that were the case and they would be the ones with the most crime. Cops aren't going to move there and the current population of these communities are most likely not filled with qualified candidates.

You mean some of these cities would not have cops. You don't choose your district. You're assigned. So it wouldn't be that Watts had no cops, it would be that Los Angeles had no cops. And that crisis would force the power structure to act.

That's not how I read your suggestion. I thought you were saying they would live in the neighborhood. Not just in the same city. Big difference.

That's not how I read your suggestion. I thought you were saying they would live in the neighborhood. Not just in the same city. Big difference.

You are assigned a district. You don't get to choose it. You have to live in your assigned district. So you could not simply refuse the assignment to a Black district, you'd have to quit the force all together. Which I like. Get the frat boys and bros the hell out.

If you want to be a cop, and serve the community, you should want to live there. You should be all in. You should be committed. If not, you should do something else for a living. I hear veterinary techs are in demand.

How does it work when your kid goes to school, only to face school mates whose parents you arrested the night before?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Steeler Nation mobile app

So you cannot transfer districts or else you have to move? It's not enough that you are willing to police the shithole parts of your city...you have to move your family there? Let me know how that plan works out?

You have to live there. Your family can live wherever they want. But you have to live in the district you patrol. And it's not like you'd be alone, cops tend to live near each other. So rent a tenement house together. If you're not harassing and abusing people, there's no reason to **** with you.

You know who the safest person in any Black neighborhood is? The cool cop. The dude who plays basketball with the local kids and checks in on their moms. He's respected. I've seen this more times than I can count. He knows the neighborhood kids by name. But police culture is a combination of extreme sport adrenaline junkies, war culture, and frat culture. And that's toxic when it hits the ground. You kill their ability to escape accountability, you kill their desire to harass and brutalize people. Further, you MUST legalize drugs and abolish gun control. Most of the negative contacts initiated by police are contraband fishing expeditions. Get cops out of the confiscation business and focus on real crimes. If kids know the cops are there to help, they won't be so hostile when one walks up to talk to them. I've seen this first hand.

I have no experience living in a black neighborhood, so I trust what you say is true. However, I can't see your scenario where a cop is not going to live with his family permanently for the sake of a job. Plus, I believe if you have an apartment building where all of the neighborhood cops live in an extremely volatile community, it is only a matter of time until that ***** burns down.

I have no experience living in a black neighborhood, so I trust what you say is true. However, I can't see your scenario where a cop is not going to live with his family permanently for the sake of a job. Plus, I believe if you have an apartment building where all of the neighborhood cops live in an extremely volatile community, it is only a matter of time until that ***** burns down.

Black people aren't crazy. Some are ghetto, but most Black communities are full of poor working people. They're not interested in burning **** down.

The frustration here isn't that criminals are brutalized. It's that regular people who are perceived as criminals get brutalized. Eric Garner had a criminal record. But he was minding his own business when the cops attacked him for no damn reason at all. And killed him. For no damn reason at all. Just because they could. That **** has to stop. If those cops that choked and crushed him to death had to go home and explain themselves to their neighbors, it would change how they thought about their jobs. Furthermore it would weed out the kinds of cops who aren't committed to the well being of the community.

I don't assume that black people are crazy, but I will assume that if you are heavily invested in a highly drug infested neighborhood and you know the whereabouts of those looking to shut your industry down, you may be inclined to do something crazy. My understanding is that most inner city areas with the highest crime rates have very high drug activity.

My understanding is also that the poor law abiding citizens are prisoners in their neighborhoods but will not help the police out of fear of retribution.

I don't assume that black people are crazy, but I will assume that if you are heavily invested in a highly drug infested neighborhood and you know the whereabouts of those looking to shut your industry down, you may be inclined to do something crazy. My understanding is that most inner city areas with the highest crime rates have very high drug activity.

Again, abolishing the drug war is crucial. The trade leaves, the addicted go to rehab. The gang wars end for a lack of financing.

It's not as simple as one cure all. Many things have to happen. But having cops who both love to fight and who have nothing invested in the community is a dangerous combination. Remember that power corrupts. And absolute power with little or no accountability is a recipe for disaster.

My understanding is also that the poor law abiding citizens are prisoners in their neighborhoods but will not help the police out of fear of retribution.

IF they could trust the police they would fear retribution a lot less.

Sure, it's not like they agree with lawless behavior or anything. /s

That's coming from someone who knows damn well what it's like to live in a black neighborhood.

Sure, it's not like they agree with lawless behavior or anything. /s

That's coming from someone who knows damn well what it's like to live in a black neighborhood.

Culturally, Black people don't have much respect for established authority. You should consider that it's because they were denied basic human rights for the majority of this country's history. That doesn't wash away overnight. When you complicate it by letting dirty cops walk on obvious misconduct, misconduct caught on tape, it tends erode what credibility that established authority has. Thus the lack of trust/cooperation between Blacks and the system. I don't think it's irreparable, but so long as conservatives insist on enabling police malfeasance there will be no change to the status quo. Throw in drug prohibition and you're throwing napalm on a tire fire.

For laws and law enforcement to be respected they must be just. Our laws and our law enforcement fall short of that standard.

So rent a tenement house together. If you're not harassing and abusing people, there's no reason to **** with you.
I guess it can also be said that if you're not committing criminal acts, then the police won't bother you.

Crime is the cause, contact with police is the result. Why are you trying to correct the result instead of addressing the cause?

I guess it can also be said that if you're not committing criminal acts, then the police won't bother you.

Crime is the cause, contact with police is the result. Why are you trying to correct the result instead of addressing the cause?

Eric Garner was not committing a crime. He was murdered by the police for no reason.

Philando Castile was not committing a crime. He was shot to death for supposedly reaching for a gun.

Oscar Grant was not committing a crime. He was shot to death by the police for no reason.

This list goes on. And on. And on. Hell, Michael Bennett of the Seahawks was trying to get away from a shooting and was attacked by the police.

He had committed no crime.

The premise of your entire thesis here is entirely, demonstrably, false.

Culturally, Black people don't have much respect for established authority. You should consider that it's because they were denied basic human rights for the majority of this country's history. That doesn't wash away overnight. When you complicate it by letting dirty cops walk on obvious misconduct, misconduct caught on tape, it tends erode what credibility that established authority has. Thus the lack of trust/cooperation between Blacks and the system. I don't think it's irreparable, but so long as conservatives insist on enabling police malfeasance there will be no change to the status quo. Throw in drug prohibition and you're throwing napalm on a tire fire.

For laws and law enforcement to be respected they must be just. Our laws and our law enforcement fall short of that standard.

I grew up Arizona and had no idea that there were places with separate fountains, busses, lunch counters???? I was aghast. I at eight years old argued with an elder about church policies. I refused to accept their explanation as valid. I knew nothing of oppression until visiting Mississippi. A thread of it's own, I'm sure.

The war on drugs is a fraud and has ruined many lives both white and black. Hell, you could throw in the entire of humanity. The powers that be kowtowed to the textile magnates and created the demon weed narrative.. It's just my opinion....