• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

15 Years Ago Today…

Incredible day. After XL, I remember wishing we could’ve won one without all the crying about refs, poor play by Ben, etc, etc. Boy did XLIII deliver!

But there were pockets of opposing fans that were crying about the refs favoring the Steelers.
Like those in Cincinnati.

On the Bungles board they were passing off this photo as Holmes' TD catch.
Notice the right foot not down.

holmestoes.jpg

The actual photo:
Different shoes, different background.

2ftzoom.jpg

Ben pretty much sucked in all 3 Bowls...that is reality. I love Ben because of his style of play and his toughness, but the over glorifying of him is silly at times.

40: QB rating of 22.6...enough said... 43: When they started the last drive he had 186 yards of passing to that point...0 TDs and 1 interception.....again enough said. Tone absolutely deserved the MVP in that game. He made plays earlier to that drive as well. 45: Although everyone blames Mendenhall, get one of Ben's picks back and you win that game. Also in that game he did the stupidest thing I think I have ever seen a pro QB do...and that is pump fake to the same side you end up throwing the ball to....and interception.

In fact that "MVP talk" is what ended up costing us that 7th ring.

Max Starks:

“I think we were trying to make sure that guys had opportunities for bigger trophies at the end,” said Starks, referring to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

Starks said that it makes sense to put the ball in your “superstar’s” hands but the Packers were the wrong opponent try so many passes.

“I think if it was anybody else but the Packers that came out of the NFC that year, yes but the Packers [had] the number one secondary,” added Starks.

And here Mendenhall lays down the gospel as to why he is blamed for the loss and not Ben. We all know Mendenhall is out trying to repair his legacy and is sick of the fans blaming him, but he lays out some truths here that are eye opening and really logical when you think about it. The QB gets all the glory and none of the blame.

From about the 49:00 minute mark in this video to almost the end Mendenhall preaches the gospel. They wanted to get Ben the MVP and because of that they got away from their strength and lost instead.

Ben had bad stats no doubt in 40, but he made some big plays, 3rd and 28 or whatever it was, he scrambled away from pressure, made sure he stayed behind the LOS and found Ward at the 1 yard line to set up our first TD, which he scored. Threw the block that allowed El a clean throw, made a back handed pass to Ward to keep a FG drive alive, and Faneca credited Ben for setting up that Parker TD run.

45 if we're passing around blame, Kemo got bull-rushed right into Ben's arm as he was throwing on that first pick. That crap about them playing to get Ben an MVP is ridiculous, the run to pass split was pretty even up until we were down 21-3. It was 21-10 we stopped GB on defense, got the ball back down 21-10, that drive we ran the ball 4 out of 5 times on that drive, yep playing to get Ben the MVP. We got the ball back down 21-17 in the 4th, and we ran Mendy twice, the 2nd play resulting in a fumble, yep again looks like we were playing to get Ben an MVP. Mendy is just a little *****.

The playoff games leading up to the superbowl Ben was money. That Denver game was a cakewalk after saving our *** in the Colts game after the Bettis fumble.

They don't sniff any of the superbowls without him.

I do wish he would have played better in the Greenbay game early and we wouldn't have needed Spin then Fall to not fumble.

All becoming ancient history as the years click off.
Oline play contributed to that Green Bay loss as well. It wasn't just Mendy and Ben. They were the triplets in that aspect...

Oline play contributed to that Green Bay loss as well. It wasn't just Mendy and Ben. They were the triplets in that aspect...

It absolutely did. If you noticed it started going downhill prior and they never addressed it. They're only now addressing it after years of neglect.

It's all been defensive flops and offensive weapons. Well weapons are worthless if you can't run the ball and your qb is running for his life every other play.

15 years! That was a great game. James Harrison will always be the first thought in my brain when I think of that game.

Then that entire Ben&Santonio drive for the win.

The only reason XL has more meaning to me is that I had waited since 1981 to see that "One For The Thumb"happen.
Same here, even had a t-shirt with the "One for thumb in '81" on it.

Ben is not my favorite player in Steelers history but to say he played terribly is a stretch.

As for today and going forward watch and see if KP has a solid camp and season or we acquire a top QB things will turn around very quickly & it will be showtime again in a couple years

he did not play well in 2 Against the Hawks and Packers. what exactly was your expectation for him against the Cardinals
Well more that 186 yards up till the last few minutes of the game. Great QBs take over games like that. Guys like Montana , Brady, etc. Ben played good leading up to those games, no doubt. He just wasn't very good in the big game. In 05 he was basically a game manager and still really a rookie, so I don't think anyone can be too hard on him for that one. 43 he was working with B.A. so that is a negative, but by the time you get to 45 there are no excuses and he still does not play well. For whatever reason other than the last drive in 43 there isn't much there.

Well more that 186 yards up till the last few minutes of the game. Great QBs take over games like that. Guys like Montana , Brady, etc. Ben played good leading up to those games, no doubt. He just wasn't very good in the big game. In 05 he was basically a game manager and still really a rookie, so I don't think anyone can be too hard on him for that one. 43 he was working with B.A. so that is a negative, but by the time you get to 45 there are no excuses and he still does not play well. For whatever reason other than the last drive in 43 there isn't much there.
get used to disappointment

Ben had bad stats no doubt in 40, but he made some big plays, 3rd and 28 or whatever it was, he scrambled away from pressure, made sure he stayed behind the LOS and found Ward at the 1 yard line to set up our first TD, which he scored. Threw the block that allowed El a clean throw, made a back handed pass to Ward to keep a FG drive alive, and Faneca credited Ben for setting up that Parker TD run.

45 if we're passing around blame, Kemo got bull-rushed right into Ben's arm as he was throwing on that first pick. That crap about them playing to get Ben an MVP is ridiculous, the run to pass split was pretty even up until we were down 21-3. It was 21-10 we stopped GB on defense, got the ball back down 21-10, that drive we ran the ball 4 out of 5 times on that drive, yep playing to get Ben the MVP. We got the ball back down 21-17 in the 4th, and we ran Mendy twice, the 2nd play resulting in a fumble, yep again looks like we were playing to get Ben an MVP. Mendy is just a little *****.
And Starks is a little ***** as well? Where there is smoke there is fire.

Notice there are a bunch of ex teammates who don't have the kindest of words for Ben? Why is that? From Harrison to AB to all the others... it's funny how you don't see that with other NFL QBs.

On the first pick in 45 the D lineman Kemo was blocking got pushed into Ben. Again in one of the dumbest things I have seen a pro QB do Ben pump fakes to the side he is throwing to. That pulls the safety over WHICH YOU DON"T WANT. Even if his arm isn't hit that throw is probably still intercepted as the safety was making a bee line to Wallace because of the pump fake...as soon as he sees the ball lolipop he undercuts, and makes the pick 6.

On the second pick they go 5 wide for the 3rd time in that series as Mendenhall talked about. Wallace runs the crosser from the left side, Ben seeing that they are in man and that they have brought a corner up to stop any middle routes leaving one high deep safety TELEGRAPHS the play to Wallace. Heath runs the corner route and is wide open as the Pack secondary got confused and Heath is flailing his arms in the air signaling Ben as he is running toward the end zone by himself. Ben never looked to the right... Wallace was on the left and Heath was on the left and he stared Wallace down as he ran into a linebacker and the corner that came down... never bothering to look at Heath....no pass rush pressure..throws to Wallace...interception leading to a TD. 14 points spotted courtesy of 7.

The D did a great job holding off Rodgers after they got 7 early, but finally the dam broke toward the end. Ben was given chance after chance by our D and all we got were a lot of bad throws and a few good ones. Mendenhall was ripping run after run(even though he had few carries) 8-9 to 10 yards a pop. So was Moore and even Redman had a good run. The drive you are talking about was not 4 of 5...it was 5 of 5 for 50 and a TD.... no passes.

And of course Ben is also responsible for Willie Parker's record setting Super Bowl run in 40....LOL....the legend grows...like Pinocchio's nose. He got Parker that run while having broken toes of course...you know drama and all.

And leading up to Super Bowl 45 in both playoff games Ben had a combined total of 367 yards and 2 touchdowns to 2 interceptions with a QBR of 75....I can rest my case just on that.

Mendenhall fumbled on a hit from Mathews that any NFL running back would fumble on and lost the game for the Steelers...but Ben had a guy pushed into his arm....wasn't his fault....you see how that bias works? Even after the dumbass pump fake. And let's conveniently ignore the 14 points he spotted them.

I am not a defender of Mendenhall and I am not a Ben hater by any means, but sometimes we have to take the black and gold colored glasses and the faded Big Ben Fathead off the wall and be real...be honest.

Watch the Mendenhall video I posted from about the 49 minute mark to about the 1 hour mark. That's only 10 minutes...in those 10 minutes you will learn something about what team means. Again: not a Mendenhall defender, don't care for his Bin Laden comments and all the other stuff he's said in the past. I'm only listening to the football parts and the dude makes some legit points.

Again: Ben stunk in all 3 Super Bowls. Other than the last drive in 43 there is not much to write home about. And he definitely did not deserve MVP for any of those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC
I think you forgot to detail that Whiff Johnson completely "Ole'd" his block and Spinthenfall just got crushed when any RB would have expected his lead blocker to make some contact with the LB.

Ben is not my favorite player in Steelers history but to say he played terribly is a stretch.

As for today and going forward watch and see if KP has a solid camp and season or we acquire a top QB things will turn around very quickly & it will be showtime again in a couple years

They can't compete with the top defensive and offensive minds in the league.

That is the variable that goes beyond whatever players you have.

Everything will always be just a couple years down the road in a couple years.

They should have changed the staff out 8-9 years ago. Instead they've elected for the comfort of staying exactly the same.

It absolutely did. If you noticed it started going downhill prior and they never addressed it. They're only now addressing it after years of neglect.

It's all been defensive flops and offensive weapons. Well weapons are worthless if you can't run the ball and your qb is running for his life every other play.

Tomlin: “ Who needs lineman when you can have weapons”

Salute the nation

I was somehow calm and had faith Ben was gonna do it
It’s funny. I was totally calm knowing the Offense was going to score there too. Of course I still jumped 10’ on the pass. The greatest drive for me in SB history.

I think this is why the drive against Green Bay hurt so much. The Ball in Ben’s hands with a full 2 minutes to go to really cement his legacy as one of the best ever. It would have made him complete legendary. I was sitting down calmly waiting to enjoy the ride. It was definitely for me,the worst drive in Steeler History.

That's worked out real well for 1-5 yard passes...haha

Coach Tomlin has had some of the worse Offensive Lines in the NFL.

When a reporter questioned him on why not drafting OL, that was his reply.

I don’t remember the year, but I do remember that statement and just was like……. WTF ?

Salute the nation

And Starks is a little ***** as well? Where there is smoke there is fire.

Notice there are a bunch of ex teammates who don't have the kindest of words for Ben? Why is that? From Harrison to AB to all the others... it's funny how you don't see that with other NFL QBs.

On the first pick in 45 the D lineman Kemo was blocking got pushed into Ben. Again in one of the dumbest things I have seen a pro QB do Ben pump fakes to the side he is throwing to. That pulls the safety over WHICH YOU DON"T WANT. Even if his arm isn't hit that throw is probably still intercepted as the safety was making a bee line to Wallace because of the pump fake...as soon as he sees the ball lolipop he undercuts, and makes the pick 6.

On the second pick they go 5 wide for the 3rd time in that series as Mendenhall talked about. Wallace runs the crosser from the left side, Ben seeing that they are in man and that they have brought a corner up to stop any middle routes leaving one high deep safety TELEGRAPHS the play to Wallace. Heath runs the corner route and is wide open as the Pack secondary got confused and Heath is flailing his arms in the air signaling Ben as he is running toward the end zone by himself. Ben never looked to the right... Wallace was on the left and Heath was on the left and he stared Wallace down as he ran into a linebacker and the corner that came down... never bothering to look at Heath....no pass rush pressure..throws to Wallace...interception leading to a TD. 14 points spotted courtesy of 7.

The D did a great job holding off Rodgers after they got 7 early, but finally the dam broke toward the end. Ben was given chance after chance by our D and all we got were a lot of bad throws and a few good ones. Mendenhall was ripping run after run(even though he had few carries) 8-9 to 10 yards a pop. So was Moore and even Redman had a good run. The drive you are talking about was not 4 of 5...it was 5 of 5 for 50 and a TD.... no passes.

And of course Ben is also responsible for Willie Parker's record setting Super Bowl run in 40....LOL....the legend grows...like Pinocchio's nose. He got Parker that run while having broken toes of course...you know drama and all.

And leading up to Super Bowl 45 in both playoff games Ben had a combined total of 367 yards and 2 touchdowns to 2 interceptions with a QBR of 75....I can rest my case just on that.

Mendenhall fumbled on a hit from Mathews that any NFL running back would fumble on and lost the game for the Steelers...but Ben had a guy pushed into his arm....wasn't his fault....you see how that bias works? Even after the dumbass pump fake. And let's conveniently ignore the 14 points he spotted them.

I am not a defender of Mendenhall and I am not a Ben hater by any means, but sometimes we have to take the black and gold colored glasses and the faded Big Ben Fathead off the wall and be real...be honest.

Watch the Mendenhall video I posted from about the 49 minute mark to about the 1 hour mark. That's only 10 minutes...in those 10 minutes you will learn something about what team means. Again: not a Mendenhall defender, don't care for his Bin Laden comments and all the other stuff he's said in the past. I'm only listening to the football parts and the dude makes some legit points.

Again: Ben stunk in all 3 Super Bowls. Other than the last drive in 43 there is not much to write home about. And he definitely did not deserve MVP for any of those games.
Agreed

I don’t remember the year, but I do remember that statement and just was like……. WTF ?

Salute the nation

Tells you all you really need to know and why I really can't take them serious at all.

Just too many red flags that say we're really not committed.

It was 2008 and almost the entire draft was worthless, making the Tomlin quote extra moronic.

- Spin and Fall
- Limas (hands of) Tweed Sweed
- Bruce "worst LB pick of all time this side of Huey Richardson" Davis
- Tony "run for the hills" Hills, horrid OT
- Dennis "worthless" Dixon
- Mike "What's his position?" Humpal
- Ryan Munday

It was 2008 and almost the entire draft was worthless, making the Tomlin quote extra moronic.

- Spin and Fall
- Limas (hands of) Tweed Sweed
- Bruce "worst LB pick of all time this side of Huey Richardson" Davis
- Tony "run for the hills" Hills, horrid OT
- Dennis "worthless" Dixon
- Mike "What's his position?" Humpal
- Ryan Munday
Limas was hands of stone. That is what we referred to him as at least...

I think you forgot to detail that Whiff Johnson completely "Ole'd" his block and Spinthenfall just got crushed when any RB would have expected his lead blocker to make some contact with the LB.
Yes, that seemed to be Johnson's greatest skill...LOL. I re read my post and again I don't want to come across as bashing Ben or defending Mendenhall. Mendenhall also exaggerates certain scenarios to try to avoid blame(and he really isn't to blame but he let's the fans get to him) for that fumble in several interviews I've seen with him.

In one video he brings up the race aspect and how AB was treated vs. how Ben was treated after the devil went down to Georgia. And while there is some truth to it with some fans having that bias I'm sure, I think QBs get more of a pass because of their role in being the player that handles the ball the most and their value to the team

He tries to use the racial angle to buttress his argument that players that look like him always take the fall while white QBs get a free ride.

Now Mendy does know some team history from what I've heard him talk about, but he either doesn't know this historical fact or he conveniently ignores it...and that is that after Super Bowl 30 no one blamed Cory Holliday for the second interception even though we all know now that he didn't run the hot route and Neill threw it to the spot he was supposed to, where Holiday was supposed to be at... and in a very similar situation to SB 45 in that the Steelers were coming back, and then disaster...the turnover. O'Donnell of course is white and Holliday is black...so that whole thing goes out the window right there. Neil was a journeyman where Ben was the franchise. That probably had more to do with that situation than any other thing.

Even today people still blame O'Donnell...and last time I checked O'Donnell is still white.:ROFLMAO:

That seemed like a lifetime waiting for the refs to review that TD catch.
I was in the bathroom ******** my guts out with food poisoning. I missed the play in real time, and got off the pot in time to see it ruled a touchdown. To this day my wife tells me that she can’t believe I missed it.