• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

15 Years Ago Today…

I was in the bathroom ******** my guts out with food poisoning. I missed the play in real time, and got off the pot in time to see it ruled a touchdown. To this day my wife tells me that she can’t believe I missed it.

DANG, sorry Sarge but as you know from the countless re-plays…… it definitely was a TD.

Salute the nation

Limas was hands of stone. That is what we referred to him as at least...
Wasn't it "Dwight Stone" who was the original "hands of Stone?" But boy that dude could fly, way more productive than the little guys drafting after him (Dri Archer, Rainey.) Dwight was around during the "bad 80 days." One of the few offensive weapons on the team. And he wasn't as bad as most of us remember. He had more moments than I recall, I only really remember like 2 TDs he scored. He had more than that. He had 13.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StonDw00.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM
But I can still recall thinking "what a steal" I was pumped.
Yea, that feeling lasted for about 1 season. And then reality set in: Limas couldn't catch a cold in February.

Wasn't it "Dwight Stone" who was the original "hands of Stone?" But boy that dude could fly, way more productive than the little guys drafting after him (Dri Archer, Rainey.) Dwight was around during the "bad 80 days." One of the few offensive weapons on the team.
Yeah Dwight was the original hands of stone. So many nicknames. One of my favorites was BamBam (Bam Morris) and Barry Bananas Foster. Of course there was a classic simple Mean Joe Greene and Jerome -The Bus- Bettis.

They need some new ones to keep tradition alive...

Yeah Dwight was the original hands of stone. So many nicknames. One of my favorites was BamBam (Bam Morris) and Barry Bananas Foster. Of course there was a classic simple Mean Joe Greene and Jerome -The Bus- Bettis.

Keanu “Reaves” Benton?

Like excellent. Ch/yeaah - Bill & Ted

And Starks is a little ***** as well? Where there is smoke there is fire.

Notice there are a bunch of ex teammates who don't have the kindest of words for Ben? Why is that? From Harrison to AB to all the others... it's funny how you don't see that with other NFL QBs.

On the first pick in 45 the D lineman Kemo was blocking got pushed into Ben. Again in one of the dumbest things I have seen a pro QB do Ben pump fakes to the side he is throwing to. That pulls the safety over WHICH YOU DON"T WANT. Even if his arm isn't hit that throw is probably still intercepted as the safety was making a bee line to Wallace because of the pump fake...as soon as he sees the ball lolipop he undercuts, and makes the pick 6.

On the second pick they go 5 wide for the 3rd time in that series as Mendenhall talked about. Wallace runs the crosser from the left side, Ben seeing that they are in man and that they have brought a corner up to stop any middle routes leaving one high deep safety TELEGRAPHS the play to Wallace. Heath runs the corner route and is wide open as the Pack secondary got confused and Heath is flailing his arms in the air signaling Ben as he is running toward the end zone by himself. Ben never looked to the right... Wallace was on the left and Heath was on the left and he stared Wallace down as he ran into a linebacker and the corner that came down... never bothering to look at Heath....no pass rush pressure..throws to Wallace...interception leading to a TD. 14 points spotted courtesy of 7.

The D did a great job holding off Rodgers after they got 7 early, but finally the dam broke toward the end. Ben was given chance after chance by our D and all we got were a lot of bad throws and a few good ones. Mendenhall was ripping run after run(even though he had few carries) 8-9 to 10 yards a pop. So was Moore and even Redman had a good run. The drive you are talking about was not 4 of 5...it was 5 of 5 for 50 and a TD.... no passes.

And of course Ben is also responsible for Willie Parker's record setting Super Bowl run in 40....LOL....the legend grows...like Pinocchio's nose. He got Parker that run while having broken toes of course...you know drama and all.

And leading up to Super Bowl 45 in both playoff games Ben had a combined total of 367 yards and 2 touchdowns to 2 interceptions with a QBR of 75....I can rest my case just on that.

Mendenhall fumbled on a hit from Mathews that any NFL running back would fumble on and lost the game for the Steelers...but Ben had a guy pushed into his arm....wasn't his fault....you see how that bias works? Even after the dumbass pump fake. And let's conveniently ignore the 14 points he spotted them.

I am not a defender of Mendenhall and I am not a Ben hater by any means, but sometimes we have to take the black and gold colored glasses and the faded Big Ben Fathead off the wall and be real...be honest.

Watch the Mendenhall video I posted from about the 49 minute mark to about the 1 hour mark. That's only 10 minutes...in those 10 minutes you will learn something about what team means. Again: not a Mendenhall defender, don't care for his Bin Laden comments and all the other stuff he's said in the past. I'm only listening to the football parts and the dude makes some legit points.

Again: Ben stunk in all 3 Super Bowls. Other than the last drive in 43 there is not much to write home about. And he definitely did not deserve MVP for any of those games.
Yeah, I posted the stats, we were almost even run and pass, until we were down 21-3, then down 21-10 we ran 4 or 5 times on that drive, then on the Mendy fumble drive, we ran twice to start that drive, then he fumbled. Tell me how that is playing to get Ben the MVP when the run to pass split is pretty even????

The Harrison that basically quit on this team?? Then Harrison that acted like he was sleeping in meetings?? What did Harrison say about Ben, Harrison was on his podcast in his house with him. There's alot of ex teammates that have good things to say about him.

That wasn't going to be a pick if he wasn't hit, alot of QB's pump fake to the same side of the field, that's not uncommon, there's just trying to get a defender to take one step in the wrong direction. You can say it would've been picked if he didn't get hit etc, but what happened is Kemo got bull rushed right into him as he was throwing the ball.

I didn't credit him with the Parker run, Faneca gave him credit for checking to that, so when ex teammates say something negative about him it must be true, but if one says something positive about him, it's a lie, got it.

No one said he played elite or even great in any of those games, just that if Manning, Brady, Mahomes would've led that last drive they would've gotten MVP, Brady had a Super Bowl MVP by throwing for 145 yards.

You talk about the defense playing so well in 45, how about them giving up a 13 points 4th quarter lead in 43? The defense can only be let down by Ben, but Ben can't bail them out?

It's funny, Ben never once blamed Mendenhall for that loss, he took the blame, but Mendenhall is being a little ***** blaming Ben, yet Ben is taking **** as usual from fans.

Where’s Cope when you need him 😉

Yeah, I posted the stats, we were almost even run and pass, until we were down 21-3, then down 21-10 we ran 4 or 5 times on that drive, then on the Mendy fumble drive, we ran twice to start that drive, then he fumbled. Tell me how that is playing to get Ben the MVP when the run to pass split is pretty even????

The Harrison that basically quit on this team?? Then Harrison that acted like he was sleeping in meetings?? What did Harrison say about Ben, Harrison was on his podcast in his house with him. There's alot of ex teammates that have good things to say about him.

That wasn't going to be a pick if he wasn't hit, alot of QB's pump fake to the same side of the field, that's not uncommon, there's just trying to get a defender to take one step in the wrong direction. You can say it would've been picked if he didn't get hit etc, but what happened is Kemo got bull rushed right into him as he was throwing the ball.

I didn't credit him with the Parker run, Faneca gave him credit for checking to that, so when ex teammates say something negative about him it must be true, but if one says something positive about him, it's a lie, got it.

No one said he played elite or even great in any of those games, just that if Manning, Brady, Mahomes would've led that last drive they would've gotten MVP, Brady had a Super Bowl MVP by throwing for 145 yards.

You talk about the defense playing so well in 45, how about them giving up a 13 points 4th quarter lead in 43? The defense can only be let down by Ben, but Ben can't bail them out?

It's funny, Ben never once blamed Mendenhall for that loss, he took the blame, but Mendenhall is being a little ***** blaming Ben, yet Ben is taking **** as usual from fans.
Steelers 1st series: pass run pass punt 1st pass bubble screen 3-4 yard gain, 2nd down Mendy run for 4 yard loss 2nd pass nowhere near the receiver...

Packers 1st series: 5 plays punt D holds

Steelers 2nd series Mendy 15 yard run on 1st down, Mendy 1st down 9 yard run,2nd down after false start bubble screen for 3 yards, 3rd down pass to Heath way too high and slightly behind, punt.

Packers 2nd series: 9 plays 80 yards TD 7-0 Pack.

Steelers 3rd series: Dumbass pump fake on 1st play..Ben by the position of his face mask/helmet either pump fakes to the flat.... when no one is out in the flat....LOL....or he was pump faking to Wallace which is doubly fugging stupid as that is where the ball was going.

Either way it is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen a pro QB do. The safety is in perfect position for the pick or to put Wallace in a coma for at least 6 months. He bites on nothing because the pump fake is beyond idiotic. All it does is buy time for the d lineman to get to Ben's arm.

Hines and the tight end are both running deep slants, the safety is on a collision course for Wallace, sees the lolipop coming his way, leaves Wallace heads for the ball easy pick 6... Pack 14-0.

Troy Aikman who I believe knows a little about playing NFL Qb...kind of like Max Starks, Mendy, etc. know more than you or me what went on with that team and Ben....says right after that pick 6:" So here's what happens. When the pump fake goes to that side it immediately draws Nick Collins(the safety) to that sideline. If Ben had pumped Collins down the middle of the field that holds Nick in the middle"

Ya think Troy? Watch out because Coryea will call you a little ***** next.

Steelers 4th series: Mendy 5 yard gain on 1st down, Mendy 8 yard gain on 2nd... 1st down. Pass to Sanders 4 yard gain nullified by Kemo block in back, 1st and 16 pass to Mend for 7 yards, 2nd down and 9 Heath on a deep out Ben misses again....are we starting to see the pattern yet?

3rd and 9 Ben scrambles and makes about an 18 yard run, 1st down Mendy 2 yard loss on a safety blitz. 2nd down Ben on an out pattern to Sanders who is clearly covered...incomplete.
3rd and 12 complete to Sanders for 12 yards first down.

1st down Ben scrambles for 2. 2nd down Mendy gain of 1, 3rd and 7 pass to wallace for 4 yards. Field goal Pack 14 Steelers 3. 11:08 left in the 2nd.

Pack 3rd series 3 and out...D holds

Steelers 5th series: Mendy 7 yard gain called back because of hold. 1st and 20 Wallace 16 yard catch. 2nd and 4 Mewelde Moore for 7....1st down. Ben runs for 5.

The Pattern that should be clear by now. And that is that the run game is what you wanted to go with. Running was what was working. Ben was off on his passing and there was plenty of time in the game, yet down 7-0 they decide from the shadow of their own goal post that they have to go for it all on 1st down with the stupid azz pump fake play.

You talk about balance and that's why you don't get it. When you've done well with the run all year(not every game of course) you want to lean on the run...and in this game they were clearly picking up good chunks running and leaving Rodgers on the bench.

It should have been 60-40 to 65-35 run over pass. In the AFCCG Mendy had 121 rushing and 32 on two catches. Why would you go away from that? Against a team who's strength is their secondary... It had nothing to do with the score as the game was still early and it wasn't that big of a deficit. Why are you not hardly throwing to the RB or the tight end when the Pack clearly wants to take the deep ball away....because you had to put Wallace #1 so that he could make the big MVP plays for you.Then Ben throws the second pick with 4:28 in the second....going to Wallace of course.

As for the other stuff you said about Harrison, Harrison was lied to by the team...LOL...If Harrison slept in a meeting that is your problem with him? I'll bet you have no problem with Ben's trips down to Georgia or Vegas.

As far as 43, Ben didn't bail out the defense, the defense shoudn't have been in that spot to begin with...if the very guy we were talking about James Harrison doesn't get a pick six we sit at 5 Lombardi's. Up until that last drive Ben and his offense had scored 13 points against a lame 9-7 Cards team whose strength was their offense....LOL.

Ben always takes the blame (wink, wink) knowing he will always get a pass from the fans. Like Mendy said if Ben says he lost the game stop blaming him. Yet people don't stop....funny isn't it. When we all know(even you) that if Ben doesn't spot them 14 we have 7 rings.

I remember you from years ago when I was on this board with a different screen name that everyone knows and still talks about to this day....LOL. You are like a Ben cultist. He's like Jesus to you...I remember.
say-what.gif

I posted right after that game in Feb. of 2011 that we would never win a Super Bowl with Ben at QB and the multiple flaws in his game, and you were the one that came after me with a medieval inquisitors fervor....but yet here we sit after Ben's retirement..and how many Super Bowls did we win again...refresh my memory?

who gives a ****, we won 2 with Ben, that's the same number as Manning, more than Rodgers, more than Brees. How dare he not get a third.

Usually you need some production for a nickname; haven't had much of that around here lately. "BamBam" didn't have that much production but his name served that nickname easily. "Barry Bananas Foster" was a Chris Berman creation? Not sure. Of course "Heeeeeeeeeeeaaaath" was his own nickname. "Big Ben" was a nickname. Hopefully we have another drat as productive as last year and we will see some more.

Last edited:
who gives a ****, we won 2 with Ben, that's the same number as Manning, more than Rodgers, more than Brees. How dare he not get a third.
It's a team sport....you'll figure it out one day.

It's a team sport....you'll figure it out one day.
I guess reading comprehension isn't your friend, see the word "we"? and "with"? I never said Ben won those all by himself.

I bet 90% of Steeler fans and 90% of the people that post on this board will say we weren't winning 40 or 43 without Ben.

Ben pretty much sucked in all 3 Bowls...that is reality. I love Ben because of his style of play and his toughness, but the over glorifying of him is silly at times.

40: QB rating of 22.6...enough said... 43: When they started the last drive he had 186 yards of passing to that point...0 TDs and 1 interception.....again enough said. Tone absolutely deserved the MVP in that game. He made plays earlier to that drive as well. 45: Although everyone blames Mendenhall, get one of Ben's picks back and you win that game. Also in that game he did the stupidest thing I think I have ever seen a pro QB do...and that is pump fake to the same side you end up throwing the ball to....and interception.

In fact that "MVP talk" is what ended up costing us that 7th ring.

Max Starks:

“I think we were trying to make sure that guys had opportunities for bigger trophies at the end,” said Starks, referring to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

Starks said that it makes sense to put the ball in your “superstar’s” hands but the Packers were the wrong opponent try so many passes.

“I think if it was anybody else but the Packers that came out of the NFC that year, yes but the Packers [had] the number one secondary,” added Starks.

And here Mendenhall lays down the gospel as to why he is blamed for the loss and not Ben. We all know Mendenhall is out trying to repair his legacy and is sick of the fans blaming him, but he lays out some truths here that are eye opening and really logical when you think about it. The QB gets all the glory and none of the blame.

From about the 49:00 minute mark in this video to almost the end Mendenhall preaches the gospel. They wanted to get Ben the MVP and because of that they got away from their strength and lost instead.

If i remember correctly GB was missing most of their secondary and we were criticized for not Attacking it more.

I guess reading comprehension isn't your friend, see the word "we"? and "with"? I never said Ben won those all by himself.

I bet 90% of Steeler fans and 90% of the people that post on this board will say we weren't winning 40 or 43 without Ben.
You don't have to say it...you live it. Like I said I remember.

Trent Dilfer "won" 35 according to your logic right...? Oh no, you'll say...the Ravens had a great defense and a great running game. Yeah ... so did the 05 and 08 Steelers.
Not saying Ben isn't way better than Dilfer, just saying it's a team sport....you'll figure it out.

If i remember correctly GB was missing most of their secondary and we were criticized for not Attacking it more.
yeah, that's a staple when it comes to Tomlin's coaching

You don't have to say it...you live it. Like I said I remember.

Trent Dilfer "won" 35 according to your logic right...? Oh no, you'll say...the Ravens had a great defense and a great running game. Yeah ... so did the 05 and 08 Steelers.
Not saying Ben isn't way better than Dilfer, just saying it's a team sport....you'll figure it out.
I don't remember the Ravens defense giving up 16 points in the 4th quarter and a double digit lead...Trent Dilfer isn't leading a comeback if that happens, Tommy Maddox isn't, Kordell Stewart isn't, Neil O'Donnell isn't. QB is the most important position in sports, and we aren't winning either Super Bowl without Ben, XL, we never even get to the Super Bowl if Maddox was QB, same with Super Bowl 43, we don't get there or win without Ben, not saying he's the only one that did anything, but your rarely get to the Super Bowl and win it without a good QB, why because we watched it play out for 25 years before that......you'll figure it out.

What still impresses me about that catch is the velocity that Ben put on the ball and Holmes snatched it out of the air like it was no big deal.

That entire drive was just nuts. I was all amped up happy just a few minutes before that, until Fitzgerald split the defense and took it to the house.

Then it was awe **** mode with sweaty palms and all until the clock hit zero.

The Steelers sure have had some epic drama in superbowls. I live for that ****. It's the absolute peak of fandom.

I don't remember the Ravens defense giving up 16 points in the 4th quarter and a double digit lead...Trent Dilfer isn't leading a comeback if that happens, Tommy Maddox isn't, Kordell Stewart isn't, Neil O'Donnell isn't. QB is the most important position in sports, and we aren't winning either Super Bowl without Ben, XL, we never even get to the Super Bowl if Maddox was QB, same with Super Bowl 43, we don't get there or win without Ben, not saying he's the only one that did anything, but your rarely get to the Super Bowl and win it without a good QB, why because we watched it play out for 25 years before that......you'll figure it out.

Funny how you don't mention an average QB in O'Donnell who in 30 got real close in a comeback....as close as Ben was in 45.....
damn-shookt.gif

James Harrison would like to have a word with you. Not one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history, but THE GREATEST he claims. I would argue that Harrison deserved the MVP more than Tone. That was an incredible run back and crossing the goal line almost didn't happen. Unbelievable play.

What still impresses me about that catch is the velocity that Ben put on the ball and Holmes snatched it out of the air like it was no big deal.
That's why he got MVP. The throw was great, but the catch was unbelievable.

That's why he got MVP. The throw was great, but the catch was unbelievable.
Catch was unbelievable but Ben threw it where it needed to be twice. I still think Ben deserved MVP. Most fans probably wouldn't agree, but that's fine...

Enough talk about XLV. This is about No. 6 and winning XLIII. How about these great plays?

Catch was unbelievable but Ben threw it where it needed to be twice. I still think Ben deserved MVP. Most fans probably wouldn't agree, but that's fine...
The first one to the left was actually a little too high. If he even snags it out of the air he's not making that catch. And the reason is because his hips are twisted as the pass is behind and high and he is falling face down....no receiver is making that catch as the act of just breaking your fall won't let you. Even Pickens who makes those circus catches does it falling on his back. The only way you make that type of catch falling face down is if it's pulled in with one hand to the chest(and it can't be in this case because it's too high...you need both hands to even snag it) and the fall broken with the other arm/hand.