• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

15 Years Ago Today…

That's why he got MVP. The throw was great, but the catch was unbelievable.
The play before that, Ben threw a pass that went right through Tones hands that would've been a TD. I'm not saying Tone didn't deserve MVP, I'm just saying had that been Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers (Rodgers is probably the only one of those 4 that would've remotely had a chance to lead that drive behind that line, Ben was under pressure every play) they'd talk about that drive non stop, and they would've absolutely gotten MVP. Harrison's play very well may be the greatest "play" in Super Bowl history, but even with that play we are trailing in the 4th with around 2 mins left.
Neil ALMOST led a come back, but didn't Neil also has ZERO rings.

The play before that, Ben threw a pass that went right through Tones hands that would've been a TD. I'm not saying Tone didn't deserve MVP, I'm just saying had that been Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers (Rodgers is probably the only one of those 4 that would've remotely had a chance to lead that drive behind that line, Ben was under pressure every play) they'd talk about that drive non stop, and they would've absolutely gotten MVP. Harrison's play very well may be the greatest "play" in Super Bowl history, but even with that play we are trailing in the 4th with around 2 mins left.
Neil ALMOST led a come back, but didn't Neil also has ZERO rings.
I guess you missed this below.
The first one to the left was actually a little too high. If he even snags it out of the air he's not making that catch. And the reason is because his hips are twisted as the pass is behind and high and he is falling face down....no receiver is making that catch as the act of just breaking your fall won't let you. Even Pickens who makes those circus catches does it falling on his back. The only way you make that type of catch falling face down is if it's pulled in with one hand to the chest(and it can't be in this case because it's too high...you need both hands to even snag it) and the fall broken with the other arm/hand.
No human being is making that catch. And that's because the pass was off.

I have a question about Harrison's INT for a touchdown. Larry Fitzgerald was chasing him down and was clearly out of the field of play for a period of time. Is it legal for him to come back onto the field of play and make a tackle? In the end it doesn't matter but had he caused a fumble or tackled Harrison short of the goal line what would have been the call?

Oddly enough the guy who dropped the pass admitted that he dropped the pass.

Still can bring back emotion. What a play...what a game. I think that prior throw was a little high but catchable. A hard catch but no matter that next throw and catch was golden. Black N Golden. Where my emotions went from oh we lost to oh we won in a blink of the eye.

Oh what a rush.

He did drop it, but even if it stays in his hands the ground or him breaking his fall is popping that ball out. Go watch that play...the ball is slightly behind and high, then watch how he lands. When have you ever seen a receiver come down on his face and complete a catch like that? The dudes hips are twisted sideways.....it's just not physically possible The rules at the time would have guaranteed it being incomplete.

" Did not survive the ground."

Remember the Jesse James catch against the Pats? I know, I know, who wants to relive that. James wasn't even that high up and when his elbow hit the ground the ball moved. Tone would not even have held on to the ball he was so high up....LOL...yeah, not happening.

Wow. Already knowing we won didn't make a difference.
You know that had to have been one of the greatest SB's ever played when watching the replay made me nearly as nervous and on the edge of my seat as it did when it was played.

Impossible catch. This gives you an idea, but you need to watch the video.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Here it is at the 2:08:30 mark. Watch it at full speed then watch the slo mo. No way Jose.

Pickens had made catches nobody believes he should have. Others too. Nobody would say that was a perfect pass but the majority would say that was catchable. I will have to agree to disagree that it was an uncatchable pass. If a football passes through hands it is catchable. Difficult but not impossible.

Pickens had made catches nobody believes he should have. Others too. Nobody would say that was a perfect pass but the majority would say that was catchable. I will have to agree to disagree that it was an uncatchable pass. If a football passes through hands it is catchable. Difficult but not impossible.
I have never seen a receiver make a catch like that. Pickens almost always lands on his back...you are just not holding on to the ball when you hit the ground face down like that. Watch the video.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion though.(y)

The problem is not the football and hands, the problem is him being twisted and the momentum he has doesn't allow him to pull it in and land. The only way that works is with a one handed catch and the other hand breaks the fall. The pass would have to be lower and in stride for that to work. Not behind and too high.

The problem is not the football and hands, the problem is him being twisted and the momentum he has doesn't allow him to pull it in and land. The only way that works is with a one handed catch and the other hand breaks the fall. The pass would have to be lower and in stride for that to work. Not behind and too high.
Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion though.😁

Impossible catch. This gives you an idea, but you need to watch the video.
I don't need to watch the video because I listened to the guy in the video say he dropped it. End of discussion.

Only Steeler fans ***** at each other about what catch should have won their 6th ring
I prefer to ***** at what's holding them back from winning their 7th.

I don't need to watch the video because I listened to the guy in the video say he dropped it. End of discussion.
It's pointless even replying to him, if it remotely makes Ben look like he did something right or good, he'll argue it non-stop.

What still impresses me about that catch is the velocity that Ben put on the ball and Holmes snatched it out of the air like it was no big deal.
Making up for the blatant drop the play before.

It's pointless even replying to him, if it remotely makes Ben look like he did something right or good, he'll argue it non-stop.
Really? And you are the flip side of that....right? Ben is Jesus to you...like I said I remember.
I'm not bashing Ben, it just was not a good pass. Ben threw tons of great passes in his career and a bunch of bad ones.... he is not God. I get it we need someone to worship for whatever reason and he fits the bill for you.

And as far as what Tone said...do you really think he's going to say the pass could have been better? He understands how legacy works both in terms of the team you are linked to, the historical hierarchy on said team. And for that matter how the whole country works in that aspect....read some James Baldwin, get a clue. Besides Holmes is a narcissist if you didn't catch it all through the interview.

Do you have any other players you defend and worship with the fervor you defend and worship Ben with? How about Rod Woodson....what about Dermonti Dawson...hmmm....James Harrison....Troy Polamalu...of course not...of course not.

Didn't mean to poop on your worship moment, but you need to be real dude.
funny-meme.gif

Last edited:
I have a question about Harrison's INT for a touchdown. Larry Fitzgerald was chasing him down and was clearly out of the field of play for a period of time. Is it legal for him to come back onto the field of play and make a tackle? In the end it doesn't matter but had he caused a fumble or tackled Harrison short of the goal line what would have been the call?
The rule is vague. If you are pushed you have to get back in bounds as quickly as possible. I would say Fitzgerald committed that foul, and if he would have downed Harrison before the goal line Tomlin would have run into the locker room without doing anything. It would have been the greatest crime since the Jesse James robbery of 2016.
mike-tomlin-breathe.gif

The rule is vague. If you are pushed you have to get back in bounds as quickly as possible. I would say Fitzgerald committed that foul, and if he would have downed Harrison before the goal line Tomlin would have run into the locker room without doing anything. It would have been the greatest crime since the Jesse James robbery of 2016.
Good thing he made it regardless. That would have been an unbearable crime.