• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

I dont think the offense is terrible, but I am disappointed in the pitching. Liriano and Cole have been prettysteady, but the rest have been a crap shoot even the majority of the bullpen. I dont think last year was a total fluke, but I dont expect a repeat this year. I expect them to hover around .500 as I was very unimpressed with their off season.

I dont think the offense is terrible, but I am disappointed in the pitching. Liriano and Cole have been prettysteady, but the rest have been a crap shoot even the majority of the bullpen. I dont think last year was a total fluke, but I dont expect a repeat this year. I expect them to hover around .500 as I was very unimpressed with their off season.

Volquez, who pitches today, has been great so far, but given his recent track record, it's questionable whether he can sustain what he's doing.

After a rough stretch, the pitching overall has been strong lately, They just haven't been able to score.

It's difficult to consistently score runs when your lead off and cleanup hitters are as streaky as Marte and Alvarez. I was hoping for more consistency from those two in 2014, but that's looking like a pipe dream at this point.

Puig was absolutely mashing in Chattanooga last year after killing it in Spring Training, if I'm not mistake he wasn't brought up until June.

0-7 today???? glad I didn't give in a few days ago and buy the $30/month bullshit from mlb.com. Come on Bucs, show some ******* life. You are in the doghouse, 26 games in and you have more wins than exactly 3 teams in the bigs. This was supposed to be the year that you did not suck a gigantic donkey dick and showed that last year was not a fluke.

Just looked at some stats....can we ******* bench Pedro for a while? Batting .172???? I could bat .172 with my eyes closed. .172 is for pitchers. .172 is for rookies in Houston. .172 is way less than half of a really good hitter. .172 is a number that cannot be ignored almost 30 games in. Yeah you have a big bat Pedro, now put the ball in play instead of trying to be Babe Ruth every at bat. Wonder why we cannot score a run? Pedro is your answer. Maybe he is trying too hard on all of those billboards on I-95

Buccos get back on track tonight. Our new light hitting 1B hit a Grand Salami and Cutch hits a clutch 8th inning homer to tie it back up.
Our new light hitting 1B is now batting .196. Pretty much hasn't done anything since the slam.

man, are they ******* terrible.

another 11 lob in game 1 vs the O's.

They've lost 16 of 18. They may very well be the worst team in baseball right now.

What a disappointment.

Really really bad. Atrocious baseball at it's finest.

Shame to see that Nutting is such a cheap *** he would not drop another dime on improving the team from last year to keep it a contender. The Buccos will never be a top notch team so long as that Nut Job has anything to do with the team.

27th in MLB in batting average and 25th in runs. This team has had hitting issues for years and still nothing. At least the pitching is 14th in ERA and BAA so can't blame it all on the arm guys. What a difference 8 months make.

27th in MLB in batting average and 25th in runs. This team has had hitting issues for years and still nothing. At least the pitching is 14th in ERA and BAA so can't blame it all on the arm guys. What a difference 8 months make.

That's pretty much the issue in a nutshell.

Given the lack of upgrades offensively, it was pretty much common knowledge that 2014 was going to be rough if the pitching regressed at all, which has been the case. The pitching went from good to average, and they blow as a result.

At least Nutting is maintaining those consistent profit margins, remaining the 10th wealthiest owner in MLB.

That's pretty much the issue in a nutshell.

Given the lack of upgrades offensively, it was pretty much common knowledge that 2014 was going to be rough if the pitching regressed at all, which has been the case. The pitching went from good to average, and they blow as a result.

At least Nutting is maintaining those consistent profit margins, remaining the 10th wealthiest owner in MLB.

That can't be true. I was told that the Pirates had changed.

That can't be true. I was told that the Pirates had changed.

I would say that the team briefly changed, but Nutting didn't change with it.

If there was ever a time for Nutting to make good on his "I'll spend when the time is right" quote it was last season.

What did he and his FO do to address 1B? They didn't even offer Justin Morneau a contract and grossly short changed James Loney, both of whom are destroying the ball right now. The sad thing is that it's not like either player signed for THAT much money.

This doesn't even take into account the negative psychological impact on the team of having made great progress last season, only to see ownership and management do nothing to build on it.

I would say that the team briefly changed, but Nutting didn't change with it.

If there was ever a time for Nutting to make good on his "I'll spend when the time is right" quote it was last season.

What did he and his FO do to address 1B? They didn't even offer Justin Morneau a contract and grossly short changed James Loney, both of whom are destroying the ball right now. The sad thing is that it's not like either player signed for THAT much money.

I could see not giving Morneau a contract offer based on what he showed with the Pirates last year,. He was ****.

I could see not giving Morneau a contract offer based on what he showed with the Pirates last year,. He was ****.

He got on base at a strong clip, Granted, the power wasn't there, but it was a small sample size. He didn't look washed up to me at all.

Without the benefit of hindsight, I would have rather had Loney, but would rather have signed Morneau for 6mil/year compared with playing the trash they have there now.

Don't look now, the Buc's have won 1 in a row.

Thank goodness for the Cubbies.

I was kinda surprised when, pretty much knowing they weren't gonna re-sign AJ, that they didn't throw a bone in Byrd's direction. He is older but played well for us in the time he was here.

I think that the Pirates are missing A.J. in the locker room... I think his locker room presence was a huge part of turning the losing around during the past two seasons.

Thud.... that one hurt... They went from having a great game and winning three of four to just utter devestation after losing one where words cannot explain the loss.

It figures that they start hitting over the past week and the pitching promptly implodes.

This is looking like a 100 loss team.

It figures that they start hitting over the past week and the pitching promptly implodes.

This is looking like a 100 loss team.

Admittedly I don't watch baseball any more. I use to watch religiously when the Pirates were competitively back in the early 90s. But the way baseball is now with only a handful of teams that can possible win I hate the sport. Add to that the horrible way the Pirates have been managed and owned the past few years and I probably will never watch another baseball game again. I know people got their hopes up last year. But the Pirates have no chance of winning. They aren't going to spend the money and they can't out bid any team for any player. They should split baseball into two leagues. One for the Yankees, Boston, LA etc... and one league for the Pirates, Milwaukee etc...

Nice Win tonight. Marte seems better suited for the 5th spot in the lineup. He hit a triple and came around to score on the throwing error. He was ruled out at the plate but the Pirates challenged and won.