• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Not new news, I know..... but still. He hasn't even had a year in MLB. And I didn't see this posted anywhere.

Another fine outing by Cole. he got 2 hits and even managed to get the win today. 2 series wins in a row.

Another fine outing by Cole. he got 2 hits and even managed to get the win today. 2 series wins in a row.

One series win at a time... A sweep would have been a lot better... if they can get close to .500 by June 10th, they may be setting themselves up for a run to make the playoffs.

Signing Byrd wouldn't have been very smart when you know you only need him for half a year. When Polanco is up in June,
RF will be set for quite awhile. I would have signed Morneau for what Colorado gave him. That offered mediocre and
are getting upside.

AJ I think messed the Pirates up by saying he only wanted to play here. Management took him literally and thought they could get a deal.
If he said I'm going to be a free agent, I think they make the 14.1 million qualifying offer and end up keeping him.

Hitting seems to be coming around. If pitching get back on track, Pirates will be OK.

Signing Byrd wouldn't have been very smart when you know you only need him for half a year. When Polanco is up in June,
RF will be set for quite awhile. I would have signed Morneau for what Colorado gave him. That offered mediocre and
are getting upside.

AJ I think messed the Pirates up by saying he only wanted to play here. Management took him literally and thought they could get a deal.
If he said I'm going to be a free agent, I think they make the 14.1 million qualifying offer and end up keeping him.

Hitting seems to be coming around. If pitching get back on track, Pirates will be OK.

4 wins in a row and 3 series wins in a row.

The starting pitching is still struggling, however.

They will not be able to sustain this if that does not improve.

The starting pitching definitely needs to improve. And that's the real ***** of Jameson Tallion going down for TJ surgery this year because he would have been up with Polanco in a few weeks. But I feel very comfortable with Brandon Cumpton starting games when they need him, he's as steady as anyone else. Liriano and Morton both seem to be getting better as the year goes on after rough starts but Volquez is definitely going downhill, at least lately. Cole will be fine I'm sure.

Cole will definitely be fine. Being his first full season in MLB, he'll get only better as the season progresses.

Liriano has not had an official quality start in nearly month. I'm worried about him.

Despite his great start in his last outing, I still don't trust Morton at all.

Hopefully, during his rehab, Rodriguez has been able remedy whatever was ailing him early one. With Taillon no longer an option, they basically need Rodriguez to perform well upon return.

bottom of the ninth down one run, no outs, bases loaded, Cutch on 3rd.

no one scores.

the first time I've ever seen Cutch visibly disgusted with anyone but himself.

We need to win the upcoming series in Milwaukee. Can't afford to go up there and bend over as usual.

I would have liked to take Ike Davis' and Jordy Mercers' heads and knocked them together after last night's travesty. Ike Davis.....bases loaded, nobody out in the bottom of the 9th, the pitcher is giving up hits left and right and is so shaken up he can't hit the strike zone to save his life. He walks the guy in front of you on 4 pitches that are nowhere near the strike zone. So what do you do? Swing at the first pitch out of the strike zone of course and pop it up in the infield. And Jordy Mercer right on cue with the game ending double play. What a waste. If I was Cutch I would have thrown my glove at both of them.

picking up a series win at the Brewers would be a nice feather in the Buccos cap...

******* Lame! Melancon totally **** the bed in the 9th. Hate the ******* Brewers

That was an extremely frustrating loss, as it was the third 9th inning lead the Pirates have blown to the Brewers this season.

Melancon was absolutely terrible. Half his pitches were not even in the same zipcode as the strike zone.

at least a starting pitcher finally got a win.

Hey Yinz, how are those Buccos doin. Not so great? Don't worry, all of those offseason moves are bound to pay off.

Pedro Alvarez is on a tear. He's raised his Batting average to .214:rolleyes:
Straight ball, I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.