• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

I'm over it. We all knew by game 20ish it wasn't going to be a 3peat. Those that didn't know figured it out after the trades. It was a fun ride and we enjoyed rooting for them. I'll forget the caps series and remember beating the Flyers. There was always hope. Class Organization with great Leadership.

It was a fun season. Liked seeing Sheahan and Oleksiak come along.
The rest of the team took a bit to jump start, I thought Jim would've left the roster alone in early feb

It was a fun season. Liked seeing Sheahan and Oleksiak come along.
The rest of the team took a bit to jump start, I thought Jim would've left the roster alone in early feb

Both were solid finds. It doesn't look like it right now but Brassard is a good hockey player. JR said Sprong will be a regular next year. The nucleus is there to be competitive for another 2-3 years.

Yet another year without a first round pick. All the help will be through trades. JR can make it happen but someone's got to want what we want to give.

Reactions: MTC
Both were solid finds. It doesn't look like it right now but Brassard is a good hockey player. JR said Sprong will be a regular next year. The nucleus is there to be competitive for another 2-3 years.

Yet another year without a first round pick. All the help will be through trades. JR can make it happen but someone's got to want what we want to give.

Brassard will be fine. I'm gonna guess his injury dampened his play.
I think there will be offers for Letang despite a bad season, unsure if the Pens want to part ways.

I also thought Sheary, although not spectacular was having a decent playoff showing.
While he was on Brassard's line, they had sparks of what could of been(positively).

The roster needs minimal change, just a bit ot rest and really smarten up on defensive play.
They'll be fine going forward.

Eh. I'm over it.
This loss didn't sting at all honestly.

All loses sting for me. Hell I hate losing preseason games. Losing sucks period. It will happen,but it's something I'd never get used to. That nucleus of greatness won't last forever. I'm hoping they can go right back at it the next few years before the inevitable happens.

Well, Nashville is gone, so I'm good. TB should spank the Craps and I like both teams in the West, so I'm looking forward to the conference finals.

Wish the Pens were still playing, but it is what it is. Still haven't taken down my yard sign from Dicks.

I got the feeling watching the Jets and Preds last night that both were playing for the chance to be the bridesmaid like the Pens and Caps were.

Don't think the Caps will beat the Lightning, and cant see how anyone can beat the Knights the way they are playing. If it weren't for Fleury I would be a bandwagon Jets fan right now. Have to pull for MAF no matter what.

I got the feeling watching the Jets and Preds last night that both were playing for the chance to be the bridesmaid like the Pens and Caps were.

Don't think the Caps will beat the Lightning, and cant see how anyone can beat the Knights the way they are playing. If it weren't for Fleury I would be a bandwagon Jets fan right now. Have to pull for MAF no matter what.

You just never know. I bet teams go bonkers if an expansion team wins the cup year one..haha.

MAF, Engelland, Reaves, Perron and Neal.
Not to mention VGK's strength coach was Wilkes barre's strength coach.

Plenty of Pens ties

Watching the teams still left it becomes obvious we were beat to death by hits that we in turn did not give out. We seemed to be worried about getting hit than skating even though the games were close . Nothing to hold our heads about we had three good years and can't wait till the next season stats

Watching the teams still left it becomes obvious we were beat to death by hits that we in turn did not give out. We seemed to be worried about getting hit than skating even though the games were close . Nothing to hold our heads about we had three good years and can't wait till the next season stats

The guys didn't have the energy to play a physical game.
A shortened off season limits that aspect come crunch time.

While most teams had near 3-4 months of preparation.
Gotta consider the majority of our guys had 2 months at best.

Not enough time to recover(injuries, surgeries, rest), do off ice training and bulking etc.
Pens should be a different machine come October.

Seems like the Pens are hungry to get at it.
The current group of role guys have never had a losing post season.
So this should serve as a good learning experience

I agree. The Bolts looked a lot like the Pens last night.

The Pens need to get some additional size in my opinion if they are going to beat a team like the Caps in the playoffs. (Don't see them getting as physical during the season) Not talking goons but add a few players who can not only take a hit but can dish it out as well.

Besides wear and tear. The loss of veteran leadership played a large role in the out come of this season and the playoffs. Fleury, mentor for Murray. Daley and Hainsey, steady vets who contributed. Kunitz, grit and winning experience.. Cullen a solid leader and clutch player. Bonino a solid 4th liner.

Then for the playoffs we dumped Reaves. He had a role on the ice and a big one in the locker room. The we dumped Cole. I understand he had his ins and outs with Sully and likely wouldn't be back next season but if you're all in you're all in.

Take all this chemistry out of the room and we were lucky to have gone as far as we did. Most of these moves had to happen, salary cap, expansion draft and the like. I'm not saying any one of these changes made a difference but as a combination it becomes a tidal wave. Some moves worked like Olesiak. Some may work like Brassard. The nucleus is still here and rest assured there will be more moves come July.

I think you could tell in the playoffs the Penguins just didn't have it this year. They didn't play with that fire and motivation after the first round that they did all of the last two postseasons. The team chemistry seemed to be off. Guys like Letang, Maatta, et al weren't on their best games. Crosby seemed to disappear after Game 1 of the Capitals series. Where was Malkin, too, in Game 5 & 6?

I thought Murray rebounded well after a rough start to the regular season. I think he'll reflect and recharge this off-season and be ready come September. I bet he will be an excellent goalie for years to come.

The NHL really killed us with the schedule, which was expected. I believe the Pens played the most back-to-back games this year. They had 19 sets of such games. Plus, the team lost a lot of players from 2017 - Kunitz, Fleury, Cole, Daley, Bonino, Hainsey, Matt Cullen, Mark Streit, etc. - and that showed. The Reaves trade was dumb given the team traded him later that year. Bringing in Brassard looked good and theoretically worked, but he really did not make a HUGE star impact like I think many thought. He looked more like the early GM JR years and Shero years of bringing in rental guys - Ponikarovsky, Klinkhammer, Kovalev, Hossa, etc. - who failed to lead in the playoffs. There were also guys like Matt Hunwick who were brought in that fizzled completely. Oh well, it is what it is. I hope the team hones its focus on the areas of necessity and makes those moves. This is still a proud, fantastic team who is a threat to make a run to the SCF every year.

LGP!

Read an article today that the Pens are shopping Phil Kessel. Tried to trade him to Phoenix for Oliver Eckman Larsson. Got laughed at, so they offered him for a pick. No dice. Yotes want to stay right at the cap floor. Josh Yohe wrote the article, and it was on Yahoo Sports, but now I can't find it.

Still wonder what happened to him. Was he physically spent, hurt or was his mind just not right.. I don't see anyone offering much after that performance. Maybe see if he wakes up some to start the season and then shop him

I don't get what's up with Phil. Maybe he's content with 2 cups and has checked out. I can only speculate. He's certainly done his part. It would be nice to get another great year out of him with playoffs included.

I don't get what's up with Phil. Maybe he's content with 2 cups and has checked out. I can only speculate. He's certainly done his part. It would be nice to get another great year out of him with playoffs included.

GMJR has said that the trade rumors are over blown. Usually when he talks like that something is about to happen. With Toronto still contributing to Phil's Cap hit. I would think it would be foolish to trade him. Hard to replace his points for the cost. Media keeps reporting that Sully and Phil don't have a great relationship. (like Cole and Reaves) and we know where that got us. I hope Phil stays, we'll find out tonight or tomorrow night.

GMJR has said that the trade rumors are over blown. Usually when he talks like that something is about to happen. With Toronto still contributing to Phil's Cap hit. I would think it would be foolish to trade him. Hard to replace his points for the cost. Media keeps reporting that Sully and Phil don't have a great relationship. (like Cole and Reaves) and we know where that got us. I hope Phil stays, we'll find out tonight or tomorrow night.

I think the media likes to create drama when nothing is going on. I hope so at least. That man has been a great asset to a well oiled machine for 2 years.

I don't think Phil is going anywhere.
All this "Pens drama" is overblown. Such a quiet organization in the off season. The reporters need something to write about.

I think the media likes to create drama when nothing is going on. I hope so at least. That man has been a great asset to a well oiled machine for 2 years.

I completely agree. Kessel was one of the easy targets cause he didn't do much in the Washington series. But you know what? Neither did anyone else after Game 1. Brassard didn't do crap. Crosby and Malkin stopped their high intensity. It's like the team gave up and forgot how to play defense and play with a lead.

I'm gonna guess the guys drafted are more for re-tooling Wilkes barre.
Sprong, JSD and Simon will probably be seeing nhl time.

Wbs needs to find someone to fill Kostopilis' shoes

Calen Addison- Offensive Defenseman, read that, was a -18 last year. Plays with Jordy Bellerieve at Lethbridge. He will be a Gonchar project. He can skate, handle the puck. Makes some bad decisions...... sound familiar ?

Filip Hallander- Gritty 2 way Swedish winger that has a net front presence. Sound familiar ?

Justin Almedia- Small guy with a scoring touch. Like most of our wingers. He's an overager so we may see him sooner.

Liam Gorman- Headed to Boston U next year. 6 ft 3 and needs to fill out. OK skater and a decent shot. He's a Center now but projected as a winger.

None of these guys were a reach. Some were actually rated much higher (depending on which scouting report you believe). Not much immediate help coming to WBS. Without a first round pick (again) you have to trust the scouting and development parts of the organization. I'm glad the Pens moved up to snag Hallander after that the draft was pretty thin. So thin that we traded the 7th rounder to our buddies in Vegas for their 7th next year. Only four picks made. I hope they did the best they could do with what they had. I guess we'll see in 3-4 years.

Last edited: