• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

They're taking the season off. Or taking it half *** at that. Play a period with effort here and there. They have absolutely no intent of trying for a 3peat. They can't even win 2 games in a row. Oh well. It is what it is.

You could see cracks in the defense developing last year, then Letang getting injured, not returning to form, and lost players in FA. Still think they should have traded Geno while he still had high value. Oh well. Can't complain after repeat cups. Would have been awesome if they could have at least threatened for a 3-peat.

Murray is not the goaltender he was. Still Injured ?, Misses Fluery? He gives up a goal and usually a bad one, anytime he has had some rough contact. I'd like a more even spilt with Jarry for a while.

Being down our best two offensive defenseman is killing a team that can't score goals already. The Pens have the worst 5X5 goal differential in the league -34.

We are lucky that no one in the Metropolitan is setting the world on fire. There's hope but if the Pens don't start scoring goals, it will be over soon.

You could see cracks in the defense developing last year, then Letang getting injured, not returning to form, and lost players in FA. Still think they should have traded Geno while he still had high value. Oh well. Can't complain after repeat cups. Would have been awesome if they could have at least threatened for a 3-peat.

No doubt true about the defense.
They really grinded out the series against Washington last season.

And yeah I'd love a 3peat too, but cannot complain.
The majority of the guys who were on the cup teams. I think they're burnt.
Easy for us to say as fans, but pro sports are brutal. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, I think a full offseason with some
recovery and actual strength & conditioning will benefit these guys.

I think Sid and Geno have at least one more ring to add.
Like Uncle Ben said, there's still hope for this season.
But they gotta get rolling soon.

This season is toast. No reason to fool ourselves.

Next year

Us too. Enjoying the Jr. league games now.

I watched the US and Canada game last week.
A lot of snow. Liked the Buffalo Bills looking uni's for the US.

Watched the game vs Slovakia I think. US lost.

How are the junior league's going? Haven't followed the qmjhl in a few seasons.
I need to catch up with the baby Pens and the Nailers too. I think the baby Pens are on a win streak.

The Nailers were 2nd in their conference as well. But that was about two weeks ago.

Speaking of Nailers.
Anyone able to catch the baby Pens games? Cody Wydo got called up from Wheeling. Curious to know how he's looking

The Pens have heavily mortgaged the future for the cup wins of today. The cupboard is pretty bare. We have used our #1 pick only once since 2012 (Maata). We drafted Kapanen in 2014 and traded him away in the Kessell deal.
Both Wheeling and WBS have good talent for the level those leagues play at but not much that is going to translate to the NHL anytime soon.

The hard part is the guys we have spread over the NCAA and the European league's
Keeping up with those guys is tough. Most of those talents are a minimum of 2 years away. If they make it at all.

I've enjoyed our success but it's time to rebuild. We need to rebuild fast as Sid and Geno aren't getting younger. Now is the time to gather draft picks and young prospects.

I heard Sid is boycotting hockey this year to protest the NHL benching him from winning another Gold Medal for Team Canada in the Oympics.

LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

WOOO, Go Flyers!!!

Reactions: MTC
Penguins (19-18-3) at Flyers (16-14-8)

KEY PLAYERS: The two-time defending Stanley Cup champion Penguins are 0-2 on their three-game road trip, losing in Carolina, 2-1, and in Detroit on New Year’s Eve, 4-1.

Sidney Crosby, certified Flyers killer, will try to get the Penguins back on track. He has 87 points (37 goals, 50 assists) in 60 career games against the Flyers. In 28 games at the Wells Fargo Center, he has 16 goals and 23 assists for 39 points.

Phil Kessel leads the Penguins in goals (16) and points (42). Crosby has 35 points (14-21) but is minus-13.

Six Penguins have reached double-digits in goals.

The Penguins have allowed the fourth-most goals in the NHL, but injured defensemen Kris Letang (minus-15) and Justin Schultz (plus-1, Pittsburgh’s only “plus” player) are close to returning. Letang, in fact, could return against the Flyers.

Goalie Matt Murray has had a disappointing season for the Penguins. He is 14-11-1 with a 2.98 GAA and .902 save percentage.

The Flyers are led by Sean Couturier (career-high 18 goals) and wingers Claude Giroux (46 points) and Jake Voracek (46 points), who are fifth in the NHL in scoring. Couturier and Robert Hagg are each plus-13.

Brian Elliott (14-9-7), expected to make his 14th straight start, has been one of the Flyers’ most consistent performers. He has a 2.62 GAA and .914 save percentage.

The Flyers are coming off an impressive 5-3 win in Tampa. They are one point behind Pittsburgh but have two games in hand. Both teams are out of a playoff spot.

Eye-opening stat: In five-on-five play, Pittsburgh has been outscored, 91-53. Conversely, the Flyers have outscored their opponents, 65-56, in five-on-five situations.

THINGS TO KNOW: The Flyers have identical 8-7-4 records at home and on the road. … Pittsburgh is just 7-12-2 on the road. …. Overall, the Penguins are 3-7 in their last 10 games, while the Flyers are 6-3-1. … In December, Pittsburgh was 6-8 and the Flyers were 8-4-1. … The Penguins’ power play is tied for second (25 percent success rate) and the Flyers’ is tied for 14th (19.5 percent). … Pittsburgh will try to exploit a Flyers’ PK that is just 29th (76.9 percent success rate). Pittsburgh’s PK is tied for 15th, clicking at 81 percent. … Since Thanksgiving, Pittsburgh’s PK has gone 46 for 51 (90.2 percent). … Former Flyers goalie Michael Leighton is with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the Penguins’ AHL affiliate.

HEAD TO HEAD: The Flyers lead the overall series,153-90-30-9, but Pittsburgh has gone 12-6-2 in its last 20 games at the Wells Fargo Center. The Penguins overcame 3-1 and 4-3 deficits and beat the visiting Flyers in overtime on Nov. 27, 5-4. Crosby had three points in that game, including the winning goal. In that game, Murray was injured in the second period and replaced by Tristan Jarry.

LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

WOOO, Go Flyers!!!

Hahahahaha.... I do like the cheesesteaks and those frigging soft pretzels in that neck of the woods. The team not so much. That Orange...ugh. Good luck. I used to crack up at how much they hated Crosby in flyer land. At least you pull for the stillers my friend.

LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

WOOO, Go Flyers!!!

Yes I agree. Most Flyer Fans probably have the CLAP ! I am looking forward to tonight.

Justin Schultz is a plus 1. Sheahan and Sprong are even. Every other Penguin is minus. No matter how long or short their stay, minus. You won't win many that way.

LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP
LET'S GO FLY-ERS!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

WOOO, Go Flyers!!!

Pfft! Puh-lease!

Get outta here Stillers.

;)

May the best hockey team win tonight.
PS - Cryers suck

Both teams look aggressive tonight.
Looking to be a fun game.

Philly ********.
Don't tell Cope, but I do like Wayne Simmonds and Voracek lol

Reaves and Olesiak going for some hits!

Bad penalty by Letang. Cryers will be on the PP at the start of the 2nd

Well it's zip zip, so I guess that's ok. I caught the last part of the period.

So just as I was happy Phil scores on the pp, they score a min later...and as I type this Reaves scores...haha

And we score again on rhe breakaway by Sheary...3-1... think I'll keep typing,we keep scoring.

4-1..think I'm in the magic fan zone...keep scoring

4th line is kicking some ***.
Reaves finally with a goal.

Hope Jarry is ok. Murray is scaring me

So I'm pulling for 2 more goals before I feel ok. The flyers are getting some good shots.