• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
He's not a great coverage safety playing deep (he never did really on the film I watched). I think he can cover underneath stuff. Stick with TE's and RB's, maybe bump off a slot receiver.

We used to debate "heavy nickel " around here a lot. It comes and goes as a topic.

To get off topic with another question. You weren't around for last draft season so my question is this:

Without injury reasons, which prospect from last year most exceeded your expectations/scouting and which prospect most disappointed you from your expectation/scouting? Any major surprises from last years draft you remember and feel worth mentioning? What was your original reaction to Burns in round 1 and Davis in round 2?

I just don't know about Peppers. I have seen plays where he sticks to guys like he has a rope tied to them. Then, the next play, they will give a head nod outside and break inside and he is swimming. Just so inconsistent with it and I think there are guys later that could do it and not get lost as much. In fact, since he is a Michigan DB, I'd rather have Josh Jones or Obi Melinfonwu with the same pick. Or, wait later and grab Nate Gerry, Reyshawn Jenkins, Jelano Hill, or Tedric Thompson. Hell, even a corner like Rasul Douglas or Ahkello Witherspoon.

As for last year, the biggest surprise was how badly I missed with Andrew Billings. I thought he was something along the lines of Casey Hampton. Now, might be, but I think his fall had something to do with the NFL not valuing 2-down run stoppers as much as they do pass rushers. It caused me to adjust my thinking. I'll also throw in Kamelia Correa. I thought he would be an excellent pass rusher and thought when Baltimore drafted him, he would give us problems. But, he ended up moving to ILB and in the Baltimore area, his photo is on the back of a milk carton. Dude vanished.

As for exceeding, Chris Jones and Artie Burns. I had Burns to us in the 2nd. I thought he needed a season. Boy, missed that one. He came on quick. Of course, we also allowed him to play more man, which was his strength, so he was able to seat in quicker. Chris Jones, I thought he would struggle, was over drafted. Turns out, he should have went higher. Dude is a best.

As for overall surprises, again, once all the CBs went early, I thought we would go at Billings. They were in force at his pro day, dinner, all that. WJIII and Karl Joseph were gone. Just felt like he was the guy. It was Burns. After that, I kind of thought I might be undervaluing some guys. I would have liked Justin Simmons, but when they drafted Sean Davis, I could see it. Long and athletic, played corner, good coverage abilities and was much better at safety the year before. We had talked about Billings and Hargrave and thought at one point they could go WJIII and Hargrave (1st/2nd). Kind of had Billings and Hargrave as 1A/1B options for the NT spot. It boiled down to if you wanted power and run stopping, Billings. If you wanted a little lesser run stopper but a quicker, more athletic pass rusher....Hargrave. Then, as the 3rd is coming around, kind of felt it would be DT, but was uneasy about Billings since they passed on him twice. Was good to see Hargrave there. I thought Hawkins was a little out of left field, glad now though with this piss poor OL draft. I'd scouted Ayers and Feeney. I liked Feeney because he was athletic as hell. Pretty fair pass rusher too, kept Joe Mathis on the pine. Ayers ran poorly, but he was a good punt returner and ran with a bad hand, so that had to slow him because you cannot lean into the start. Matakavich was a surprise. I did not think he was athletic enough, but dude is a football player.

The one thing I thought the Steelers did well was manage the runs. They were on the tail end of the DBs, but they got a long, press corner that could run. Then, they kind of got out in front of the position runs. When they took Davis, I think only 2 safeties had gone and one was Karl Joseph. So, they got their man. Then, in the 3rd, everyone is snapping up DEs and they got the NT they wanted. Again, kind of out front. In the 4th, big long stretch with no OTs. Willie Beavers goes 2 slots ahead of Hawkins. Again, not trailing the pack and getting the guy they wanted. When you get to the 6th, everyone is digging in the bargain bin looking for something to take home. Still, they found some value. I thought they managed the draft well, staying away from being the last in line to get what you want. Overall, good stuff from them. I thought it was one of the better drafts they had. And, that is saying something because 2014 was pretty damn strong with Shazier, Tuitt, and Bryant.

Now, the 2015 draft, I would not have taken Bud Dupree. I had some reservations about his read and react. I wanted Byron Jones. No need to lie about it now that Bud is coming on, I would not have taken him. I would have taken Owa Odighizuwa in the 2nd and he really hasn't done ****. I liked Coates in the 3rd. Adrian Amos was my guy in the 4th. He really is so damn athletic, much like Byron Jones. Koyak, the big TE from Notre Dame would have been next and he hasn't done ****. James was a better choice.

That is the thing, all in all, the front office does a solid overall job because nobody will hit them all. Nobody will. And, I'm picking guys that might come here and not fit because I don't know what they want.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I would be pretty pleased with this. It would indicate for sure where we are headed! When it comes to the secondary... go big or go home! Vince would clearly NOT be getting a lot of snaps... and I am great with that. 3-3-5 would definitely be do-able. If we are really going further toward a penetrating 3-4 with press and man mentality in the secondary? Woohoo! I am all-in. I cannot stand prevent defense... and even less so when seems to often be our base defense! LOL.

I am very intrigued with Jarron Jones... especially in the 4th. I know he had a number of injuries slow him down... 20 inches in the vert at the combine? Yikes... my 11-year-old could do that! What are your thoughts on him?

I am thrilled with the options in this draft.

Again, welcome back.

First, I like Jarron Jones and Isaac Rochell. I might take Rochell later because I don't know if there is a huge difference in production between the two. Jarron Jones is so big though. He is kind of like McCullers when he decides to go, he goes. I'm just not so sure he is different to McCullers in his consistency. He is a hard one to peg.

As for the 3-3-5. I mean, I think if the Steelers are trotting out their top 11 players right now, who are they? Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Bud Dupree, James Harrison, Ryan Shazier, Artie Burns, Mike MItchell, Sean Davis, and who? Would you put Vince Williams or Ross Cockrell ahead of Javon Hargrave? I wouldn't. So, why not put your 3 DL on the field and massage the defense from there. If you can land a top corner that beats out Cockrell, then maybe you have a nickel or big safety that takes snaps from Williams.

If you want to call it a nickel with a $baker like Arizona uses, okay. Or a defense like the Chargers with Jatavis Brown (all 227 of him) and he has Denzel Perryman next to him at 231. It is the era of the pass. I think we are closing in on a 35/65 run/pass split. Highest ever in the NFL. Better prepare.

deljzc

Reaction score
I watched that Miami game of Jarron Jones and I thought I was looking at a 1st rounder. I didn't understand at all why people were ignoring him. The guy was an unblockable monster in that game.

Then the combine came and went and he looked fat and slow. His pro day wasn't much help. I've stuck in some other tape and he disappears. Probably can't last more that half the snaps on defense. But when he flashes, jesus it's bright....

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of either. I don't think Price fits what we want to do. I might be wrong, but I don't think he does. He lacks height to play OLB for us and his 4.84 forty makes me think he struggles with coverage if he moves inside. I'm kind of tired of watching small, fast WRs run away from our LBs on crossing routes.

latest

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Del, Keonte Davis is a guy you might want to throw on your edge list. He looked really athletic in some games, then he gets against Alabama and while he held his ground against Cam Robinson and they even helped a little on him, he really didn't show much in the form of explosiveness as a pass rusher. He did against lesser teams, but against better competition, not so much. I had kind of written him off as a little unathletic. He goes to the combine and DNPs it. So, I'm thinking he won't test well. His pro day was today. At 6'3"-268, he runs a 4.71, throws the bar up 30 times, has a VJ of 37" and a BJ of 10'1". That is a KEI of 78...with pretty good long speed.

So, I'd toss him on my 3rd day list of sleeper edge rushers.

I follow the SoCon TMC, particularly UTC (Chatt) and you pegged Davis pretty good. He's a well known commodity around here, but the realization of a top college competition seemed to overwhelm him. He was solid though other games. With his solid pro day and some seasoning being accustomed to the bright lights, think he could a contributor in our scheme? Optimistically could be had in the 6th/7th? But probably UDFA.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep thinking about the QB comments you made TMC, that roughly Ben could leave, They would let Landry temporarily fill in. Then when the season went sour Steelers would be in a good position to draft a QB.

I was like yeah this is the ticket.

Then I thought it would be just like the Steelers to win 8 games on the year and **** that up.

I go back n forth on when to draft Ben's replacement. Perhaps one of the hardest questions based on many different scenarios.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I follow the SoCon TMC, particularly UTC (Chatt) and you pegged Davis pretty good. He's a well known commodity around here, but the realization of a top college competition seemed to overwhelm him. He was solid though other games. With his solid pro day and some seasoning being accustomed to the bright lights, think he could a contributor in our scheme? Optimistically could be had in the 6th/7th? But probably UDFA.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah, he will probably rise because edge rushers with athleticism are not easy to find, but if he is there in the 6th or so, I take a flier on him. I think he needs time. To me, he could use a coach to kind of tear him down some and rebuild what he does from the floor up. He plays with decent power at the point of attack. Cam Robinson, who is considered a first round talent this year, did not drive him off the ball. He did not get pushed around, so he has the power to hold the point. As a pass rusher, he will try to run the arc, but he doesn't have elite speed around the corner. When he engages, he will kind of try to toss guys off or just work free, no real pass rush moves. You don't see a great club or swim or rip. No spin moves. He is surviving on his physical traits and just beating guys in that manner. That won't work in the NFL. I would love to see him cut down some, up his cardio. There are times where he looks winded and he doesn't always chase well or finish plays. I think if he cut down to the low 250s, got about 15-20 pounds off that frame and did it by upping his cardio, so he can stay in the fight longer, you won't see a significant drop in power, he should gain a little quickness and maybe increase that bend around the edge (bigger guys don't bend as well in most cases). Then, you start incorporating pass rush moves and I'd start with the rip. Teach him that speed to power bull rush. I think he has good upper body strength, get him using that push/pull where he engages, extends his arms, and then snatches the blocker to the side and you begin to have something. For me, when I talk to his coaches, the first question I have to ask is how hard a worker he is, because if he isn't all-in, he won't makes those changes and he'll fade away.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I keep thinking about the QB comments you made TMC, that roughly Ben could leave, They would let Landry temporarily fill in. Then when the season went sour Steelers would be in a good position to draft a QB.

I was like yeah this is the ticket.

Then I thought it would be just like the Steelers to win 8 games on the year and **** that up.

I go back n forth on when to draft Ben's replacement. Perhaps one of the hardest questions based on many different scenarios.

We drafted Ben at #11. If you were 8-8 this year, you would be drafting 15th. So, let me ask you this, would you rather draft a QB in a bad QB draft and pick one at #30, or draft a QB in a better QB draft at #15. And, this team with Landry Jones went into overtime with the Browns. Do you really believe Landry Jones is good enough to be 1 game from a Wild Card berth?

If you think Ben has one more season, why not maximize the potential talent around him? If he plays 2 more seasons, do it for 2 more seasons. He is signed for 3. I won;t panic because he made some comments in the press. He is leaving a pile of money on the table if he retires. He has a very limited window to earn what he can before his days of getting millions a year are over.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We drafted Ben at #11. If you were 8-8 this year, you would be drafting 15th. So, let me ask you this, would you rather draft a QB in a bad QB draft and pick one at #30, or draft a QB in a better QB draft at #15. And, this team with Landry Jones went into overtime with the Browns. Do you really believe Landry Jones is good enough to be 1 game from a Wild Card berth?

If you think Ben has one more season, why not maximize the potential talent around him? If he plays 2 more seasons, do it for 2 more seasons. He is signed for 3. I won;t panic because he made some comments in the press. He is leaving a pile of money on the table if he retires. He has a very limited window to earn what he can before his days of getting millions a year are over.

One thing is clear, Landry Jones is nothing but a back up.

Its not the Steeler way to sign a QB for 10+ million a year in free agency. The best time to draft a QB for the future is now, so taking a shot at one like Davis Webb in rounds 2 or 3 makes sense. If he doesn't work out, then okay pick a QB in round one when we are 500 or worse.

I disagree with the panic part. Ben has been at odds with Steeler coaching, and admitted to being depressed about the game. He's been hit a lot, and is now married.

Players these days TMC worry about their health post football.

Ben isn't motivated the way Tom Brady is ( Few are ), and I do think he'll walk away if the following happens.

1 ) He gets hurt

2 ) The team is NOT close to another lowB repuS meaning an early playoff exit or worse in the 2017 season.

PS: Our free agency with cap space for once has been a disappointment. We should have spent more to win a super bowl NOW, with Ben still playing.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Here is another thing you have to ask yourself when looking at QBs, and let me paint this picture first....back in the Pre-Ben Roethlisberger era, we were pretty desperate for a QB. I mean we had Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, you name it. Each year, fans would beg for a QB. The FO would pass. They passed on Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Patrick Ramsey, Josh McNown, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, and others. Why? If you need a QB so bad, why continue to pass on those guys? Because none of them really jumped out as franchise guys. Brees is the only one that really turned out and he did not turn out until after the Chargers drafted his replacement, the same year the Steelers drafted Ben.

The difference is, in that draft, there were franchise QBs available when they picked. Eli Manning was a great college prospect. Ben Roethlisberger was a guy from a lesser conference that just lit it up. Big, big arm, and a playmaker. So, who is your franchise QB this year? Who is the guy that wows you. Which guy is the one that you look at and think: "This guy is going to come in and light up the league"...because that is what I saw with Ben and Eli. Those guys had the tools. I mean, Ben, in his college career, was a three year starter (and starting more than 1 season is pretty important). As a freshman, he had a 63.3% completion rate, threw for 3,105 yards, 25 TDs and 13 INTs. That was his worst season. He only got better. As a senior, he competed 69.1% for 4,486 yards, 37 TDs and 10 INTs....and wasn't playing in a system designed to throw quick hitters and help the QB with easy reads.

Clemson has Watson reading half the field on a lot of plays. Kizer folds under pressure. Trubisky started 1 season. Mahommes is in that Texas Tech offense. Webb lost the job at Texas Tech to Mahommes and transferred to Cal where he started 1 season. Kaaya does not handle pressure well. Who is that guy?

If there is THAT guy in this draft, point him out and if he falls to us, I'm in. We could have drafted Paxton Lynch last year. He was closer to a franchise QB than any one in this draft. He went one pick after Burns. If that had happened, everyone would have lost their mind. Why has that changed? Is Ben being one year older that big a difference? Or, is it because he stated he was evaluating his career one year at a time. He probably has been doing that since he signed his last deal.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
One thing is clear, Landry Jones is nothing but a back up.

Its not the Steeler way to sign a QB for 10+ million a year in free agency. The best time to draft a QB for the future is now, so taking a shot at one like Davis Webb in rounds 2 or 3 makes sense. If he doesn't work out, then okay pick a QB in round one when we are 500 or worse.

I disagree with the panic part. Ben has been at odds with Steeler coaching, and admitted to being depressed about the game. He's been hit a lot, and is now married.

Players these days TMC worry about their health post football.

Ben isn't motivated the way Tom Brady is ( Few are ), and I do think he'll walk away if the following happens.

1 ) He gets hurt

2 ) The team is NOT close to another lowB repuS meaning an early playoff exit or worse in the 2017 season.

PS: Our free agency with cap space for once has been a disappointment. We should have spent more to win a super bowl NOW, with Ben still playing.

The best time to draft a QB is when the opportunity to draft a franchise QB presents itself. Just because you take a QB today does not mean he is worth a ****.

Of course you disagree with the panic part, because you panic.
Panic : a state or feeling of extreme fear that makes someone unable to act or think normally or : a situation that causes many people to become afraid and to rush to do something.

We could have drafted Paxton Lynch last year. If you did not advocate drafting a QB last year, when a guy many felt had franchise characteristics was there, and you advocate drafting a guy like Davis Webb, probably a 4-5 rounder last year, in the 2nd, that is panicking.

As for Ben, no real proof he is at odds with the coaches, only opinion. He continues to sign checks for them when he could have easily forced a change. When he was going through his issues and the talk of trading him arose, he did not ask for them to cut ties. Would have been easy. Did he get married again this year? I thought it was way back in 2011, four years before his signed his last MEGA contract and they handed him $35 million.

So, you think that IF Ben gets hurt, at 34, he will walk away? At that age, any significant injury is probably career ending anyway. You don't heal like you do when you are 20. That is a very astute analysis. Hey, I have one. I bet he walks away when people quit paying him a boatload of money. That is just, so astute.

As for him walking away if they have an early playoff exit, you mean, going out in the first round or worse? Let me ask you something, where would they draft if they got knocked out sooner? Would it be 30th or worse? Since this is considered a bad QB draft, wouldn't logic dictate they could get a better QB then? I mean, higher pick....better talent....nah, draft some turd out of this batch and hope. Could have had Lynch last year instead of Burns. Hell, had interest in Dak Prescott, could have had him instead of Hawkins. Yet, QB wasn't on the radar last year...because of team needs.

That certainly makes a case for best player available doesn't it? And BPA in this draft would likely dictate you don't draft a QB. But, keep swinging at those needs. Panic.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Since QB seems to be the flavor of the morning, I'll run down the list and tell you what I see and who I think these guys could become (best case scenario)....

Mitch Trubisky-he isn't a pinpoint passer, misses targets and had WRs that could go and help him out. Had some large windows to throw in and could still pat the ball with indecisiveness. I see a healthy Tony Romo.

DeShaun Watson-played with a ton of weapons at Clemson, can throw into tight windows but some question as to how he can read a full field. Often has easy throws. Some mechanical issues can cause him to spray the football around the field. Runs real hot and cold. I see a lot of RGIII/Kordell Stewart, but best case scenario, Teddy Bridewater.

Deshone Kizer-really struggles with pressure. Big QB, bit of a windup, Byron Leftwich.

Pat Mahommes-bit of a gunslinger, likes to chase big plays down the field and will throw into coverage at times. Played in a wide open offense. I see Jay Cutler.

Brad Kaaya-really doesn't like pressure and will start bailing, still throws it anyway. Often throws off his back foot. Poor mechanics. Rhythm guy that likes to have his feet clean. I see Tommy Maddox....spaghetti arm and all.

Davis Webb-good size, good arm, not sure how well he can read defenses and locks on at times. Upside....Kirk Cousins.

Nathan Peterman-probably the last guy here most would consider an upgrade to Jones. Decent size, decent arm, shows solid poise. Has some mechanics issues and he can be inconsistent, missing some easy throws and can struggle with arm strength and accuracy. I see Matt Moore.

Does any of that excite anyone?

deljzc

Reaction score
I thought I saw a better arm on Kaaya in tape but the combine MPH tests kind of hurt him in my eyes. I thought he threw one of the better deep balls in this draft but you are right about having to have his feet clean. And I guess I would worry with that arm strength moving him from sunny Miami into cold Pittsburgh. This is not the place to play if your game revolves around long deep balls with lots of air under them. I thought I saw a lot of Flacco in his game because that's the kind of offense you will need to develop, but Flacco has a vastly superior arm strength-wise. Flacco's not great under pressure, loses accuracy when throwing off his back foot, et. al.

That's just the nature of QB's sometimes. You sort of have to "see" the offense you have to run to make them successful when they are not elite prospects (and many of these in this class are not). And you really have to buy into that offense 100%. Once they have some success you can bring some new stuff to the table, but that takes time and good coaching.

Like you said, this is not the draft to panic and force a QB earlier than you think. If they throw a 4th or 5th at a guy, so be it. They do that all the time anyway and even if I don't agree with it, I can live with it.

The ONLY possibility of anything more than that to me is if Trabinkski falls to #24. That is Oakland's spot. Before Houston at #25 and Kansas City at #27. If one of your 3rd round picks moves you from #30 to #24, do you pull the trigger on that? I might. Trabinski is the only one with all the tools. And the experience thing can work out with him sitting for two seasons behind Ben.

That's an interesting question. I don't want to chase a QB, but Trabinski might be worth it to me. TMC, would you consider it? Make a call to Oakland if Trabinski is still on the board at #24? I think it's highly unlikely that happens, but we are just throwing out far-fetched ideas on WHEN/IF we would deviate from a normal BPA/need position draft.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight in Leggett, I really like him with the comp. pick. But only if there isn't a CB or S talent worth the spot. I think we can get the backup RB with the 4th rounder

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I thought I saw a better arm on Kaaya in tape but the combine MPH tests kind of hurt him in my eyes. I thought he threw one of the better deep balls in this draft but you are right about having to have his feet clean. And I guess I would worry with that arm strength moving him from sunny Miami into cold Pittsburgh. This is not the place to play if your game revolves around long deep balls with lots of air under them. I thought I saw a lot of Flacco in his game because that's the kind of offense you will need to develop, but Flacco has a vastly superior arm strength-wise. Flacco's not great under pressure, loses accuracy when throwing off his back foot, et. al.

That's just the nature of QB's sometimes. You sort of have to "see" the offense you have to run to make them successful when they are not elite prospects (and many of these in this class are not). And you really have to buy into that offense 100%. Once they have some success you can bring some new stuff to the table, but that takes time and good coaching.

Like you said, this is not the draft to panic and force a QB earlier than you think. If they throw a 4th or 5th at a guy, so be it. They do that all the time anyway and even if I don't agree with it, I can live with it.

The ONLY possibility of anything more than that to me is if Trabinkski falls to #24. That is Oakland's spot. Before Houston at #25 and Kansas City at #27. If one of your 3rd round picks moves you from #30 to #24, do you pull the trigger on that? I might. Trabinski is the only one with all the tools. And the experience thing can work out with him sitting for two seasons behind Ben.

That's an interesting question. I don't want to chase a QB, but Trabinski might be worth it to me. TMC, would you consider it? Make a call to Oakland if Trabinski is still on the board at #24? I think it's highly unlikely that happens, but we are just throwing out far-fetched ideas on WHEN/IF we would deviate from a normal BPA/need position draft.

The only part about Trubisky, he is a one-year starter. Marquise Williams kept him on the bench. Williams went undrafted and was signed by Green Bay. He was released, ended up on the Vikings practice squad. He wasn't good enough to stick as a 3rd QB, but he was good enough to keep Trubisky from starting. And, the part about his film that bothers me, there are throws where he needs to put it on guys and they are forced to adjust, climb the ladder to get passes, reach back behind them, just doesn't seem to throw with great timing and touch. Could he be a good QB? Sure, I guess.

But, if he wasn't a QB and played CB with those flaws, would I take him ahead of other players? Nope. Not even a question. He would barely be hanging on to the top 100 in this draft. Since he is a QB, he has more value.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Not on ILB or Center unless we are talking about a hall of fame player. Pouncey has been injured too often, and replaced by journeyman...and the Steelers win just fine without him. That much is proven. It is my belief that Pouncey has dodged some off the field trouble, and it would not shock me if he was arrested one day. Yes he is very quick and can pull, but he's nothing special as an in line blocker. We use him correctly at least.

I'd rather share shift that cap money to more impactful positions such as Corner or Edge rusher. There is a reason why you see many pass rusher and corners drafted in round one, but next to no centers or ILB's taken in round one. Edge and Corner impacts the outcome of games more so than ILB and Center.

You can get a functional center or two down ILB in rounds 3-4 of the draft.

My issue with Ike and Troy is they both could have been cut sooner, and with the savings on the cap, you could at least replace them with someone better than what we did. I felt the same for Hampton.

I had no problems with letting Wallace go as he was not worth that type of money, but I think Colbert should have taken the 3rd round pick and not matched to keep Sanders for a year.

Alejandro Villanueva On Maurkice Pouncey: ‘I Am Influenced By His Desire To Win And Be Better’

BY MATTHEW MARCZI APRIL 1, 2017 AT 10:00 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers recently posted a website conducted with left tackle Alejandro Villanueva conducted by Teresa Varley, which I touched on yesterday in an article highlighting his comments about how the competition for the starting job affected his confidence, and how it took the course of the season for him to cement himself into that position.

That was just a portion of the interview, however, and I wanted to talk about the rest of it as well, not simply because Villanueva has proven to be such a quotable and well-spoken player, but also because it is an important topic about the dynamics of the offensive line room and the group as a whole.

The former Army Ranger called upon his previous experiences in the interview to draw comparisons to his current profession. He likened offensive line coach Mike Munchak to a platoon leader, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to the platoon sergeant.

“Coach Munchak can say how to block a play, your responsibilities and assignment. He is going to say it in a very soft voice and he is going to say it once”, Villanueva said. “He is going spend all of the time teaching you how to do it, but it’s going to be Pouncey who makes sure you get it done and yelling at you if you mess it up. It’s a very similar dynamic to the military and I think that’s why it’s so effective”.

Pouncey, the Steelers’ 2010 first-round draft selection, has gone to the Pro Bowl in the five of his seven seasons in which he has been healthy and played more than eight snaps. He is not only the best player on the unit, however, he is also the clear and unquestioned leader, the energetic and vocal presence of the group around whom the rest rallies itself.

Villanueva was in just his first season in 2015 when he was called upon to start the majority of the season due to injury. That just so happened to be one of the two seasons that Pouncey spent in the background after he suffered a fractured fibula.

While he typically remains rather involved during injuries, that was likely not the case to the extent that it would ordinarily have been last year because his recovery process was a trying and complicated one due to a number of infections that resulted in more than half a dozen total procedures.

So it was really only last season that Villanueva finally got the opportunity to meaningfully work with Pouncey together on the field, and the novice starter certainly noticed the pronounced difference that such an important player makes when he is present.

“It’s almost like in the French Revolution”, he said of Pouncey, “the guy carrying the flag. That is what Pouncey is like. He is an inspiring, intense player that cares about winning. It’s contagious. I am influenced by his desire to win and be better”.

That is the sort if intangible quality that you simply cannot teach, nor can you really plan for to produce. It is an organic production from the makeup of the team. Pouncey hosts a weekly dinner gathering for the offensive line that Villanueva and the whole group relishes, which he described as “a hallmark”.

That's why we value Pouncey. Besides his play

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach hates Pouncey. You're never gonna convince him that he doesn't suck. Wants him cut immediately

ark steel

Reaction score
Alejandro Villanueva On Maurkice Pouncey: ‘I Am Influenced By His Desire To Win And Be Better’

BY MATTHEW MARCZI APRIL 1, 2017 AT 10:00 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers recently posted a website conducted with left tackle Alejandro Villanueva conducted by Teresa Varley, which I touched on yesterday in an article highlighting his comments about how the competition for the starting job affected his confidence, and how it took the course of the season for him to cement himself into that position.

That was just a portion of the interview, however, and I wanted to talk about the rest of it as well, not simply because Villanueva has proven to be such a quotable and well-spoken player, but also because it is an important topic about the dynamics of the offensive line room and the group as a whole.

The former Army Ranger called upon his previous experiences in the interview to draw comparisons to his current profession. He likened offensive line coach Mike Munchak to a platoon leader, and All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to the platoon sergeant.

“Coach Munchak can say how to block a play, your responsibilities and assignment. He is going to say it in a very soft voice and he is going to say it once”, Villanueva said. “He is going spend all of the time teaching you how to do it, but it’s going to be Pouncey who makes sure you get it done and yelling at you if you mess it up. It’s a very similar dynamic to the military and I think that’s why it’s so effective”.

Pouncey, the Steelers’ 2010 first-round draft selection, has gone to the Pro Bowl in the five of his seven seasons in which he has been healthy and played more than eight snaps. He is not only the best player on the unit, however, he is also the clear and unquestioned leader, the energetic and vocal presence of the group around whom the rest rallies itself.

Villanueva was in just his first season in 2015 when he was called upon to start the majority of the season due to injury. That just so happened to be one of the two seasons that Pouncey spent in the background after he suffered a fractured fibula.

While he typically remains rather involved during injuries, that was likely not the case to the extent that it would ordinarily have been last year because his recovery process was a trying and complicated one due to a number of infections that resulted in more than half a dozen total procedures.

So it was really only last season that Villanueva finally got the opportunity to meaningfully work with Pouncey together on the field, and the novice starter certainly noticed the pronounced difference that such an important player makes when he is present.

“It’s almost like in the French Revolution”, he said of Pouncey, “the guy carrying the flag. That is what Pouncey is like. He is an inspiring, intense player that cares about winning. It’s contagious. I am influenced by his desire to win and be better”.

That is the sort if intangible quality that you simply cannot teach, nor can you really plan for to produce. It is an organic production from the makeup of the team. Pouncey hosts a weekly dinner gathering for the offensive line that Villanueva and the whole group relishes, which he described as “a hallmark”.

That's why we value Pouncey. Besides his play

What does he know? You should know that you never listen to what a player says...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
TMC

excluding the 1-15 range prospect who won't be available....

sorry if some of the questions might be considered repeats...

1 Your best pass rusher with the ability to drop in coverage and not miss a beat.
2 The FS with the best range.
3 The CB with the potential to be the best outside cover corner.
4 WR with the best separation ability.
5 WR that would be the best fit on the outside opposite AB.
6 Most explosive TE in the draft.
7 Best cover capable /drop in coverage ILBer.
8 Best short yardage/ red zone RB prospect.

(some of the things I have been trying to figure out within this draft)

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC

excluding the 1-15 range prospect who won't be available....

sorry if some of the questions might be considered repeats...

1 Your best pass rusher with the ability to drop in coverage and not miss a beat.
2 The FS with the best range.
3 The CB with the potential to be the best outside cover corner.
4 WR with the best separation ability.
5 WR that would be the best fit on the outside opposite AB.
6 Most explosive TE in the draft.
7 Best cover capable /drop in coverage ILBer.
8 Best short yardage/ red zone RB prospect.

(some of the things I have been trying to figure out within this draft)

1-TJ Watt. To me, Watt is excellent in coverage, twitchy enough as a pass rusher, and uses his hands well to create space to get around the edge. His biggest issue, to me, is he lacks the overall power to engage a the point of attack, shed, and make enough plays in the run game. He can, just doesn't do it consistently enough. Tyus Bowser can do it too, but he isn't as good as a pass rusher or at the point, might be better in coverage though. I think Takk McKinley might be next. He did not drop as often, but he did some, also played some MLB on occasion. Watt is first though. I'd tab McKinley second because he is really strong at the point, a good pass rusher, and I think he can drop. But, if your two keys are coverage and pass rush, Watt.

2-Budda Baker for me. Not only did he run a 4.45 at the combine, he was timed at Washington in the high 4.3s. He is pretty instinctual, so he gets good jumps. He covers ground well. He is a guy I would target because he also plays the slot. He plays strong, free, all your coverages (cover-1, cover-2) and can play in man or zone. Good against the run. If he were 6'1" tall instead of 5095, he'd be your top safety. He is a half inch shorter than Troy Polamalu and Earl Thomas. He changes games like they do as well. But, this draft is very good with safeties. I like Marcus Mayes, Josh Jones, Marcus Williams, Tedric Thompson, John Johnson, and Rayshawn Jenkins. I think all could be significant contributors and potential starters in the NFL. And, guys like Josh Jones, Marcus Williams, and Rayshawn Jenkins are physical enough to walk down and be $backers. So, I would not rule those guys out even if they land a safety early. See, if you get a guy like Baker or Awuzie (and he has played safety), both can walk down onto the slot receiver because both have elite change of direction and both covered the slot a ton. Then, if you have that $backer, even with Mitchell and Davis deep, you have a guy in the box that can line up over TEs. So, your 6 DBs would be Burns (RCB), Mitchell (FS), Davis (SS), Cockrell/Whomever (LCB), Baker/Awuzie (nickel), and your 6th DB as a $backer. That is your dime with Shazier and your 4 DL.

3-I really liked Sidney Jones and I would not be against drafting him still because I don't draft for 2017, I draft for the career. But, if we discount him because of injury...and try to determine who falls outside that top 15...who knows. I mean, the top corners, who is best, who falls, it is so muddy. Best to just quickly run them down because my rankings might be different and my top guy might fall.
1-Marlon Humphrey-He is a big, fast, physical edge player that came out as a RS sophomore. I think he is 20. Young, Still developing, and is an in your face physical guy with elite attributes. He should only get better.
2-Gareon Conley-some like Lattimore better, but Conley is polished and rarely makes mistakes. He and Lattimore are almost stamped out the same mold, almost identical in size. Lattimore has better long speed and athleticism, but Conley just does it better, for now, but Lattimore could end up the better pro. Still, hard to go wrong with either. Both are stud prospects.
3-Mashon Lattimore-for the reasons above.
4-Chidobe Awuzie-One of my favorite players in the draft along with Baker. I view them as Swiss Army knives because they can help you in so many ways. Awuzie plays outside, the slot, can play field or boundary as well as both safety spots. He hits like a truck. He is 6'-202, runs a 4.43 with excellent COD. Physical, challenges the ball, tackles well. He is Ike Taylor with hands on the edge.
5-Tre'Davious White-there are other guys I want to like better because White's COD are not great, but I cannot put them ahead of White. He is just so steady and consistent. He gets multiple coverages. He just walks up play after play and does his job and does it well. He is so smooth and consistent, you almost overlook how well he does it.
I'll stop there, but I think they can find a starter in Quincy Wilson, Howard Wilson, Cam Sutton, Kevin King, Adoree Jackson, and maybe Rasul Douglas.

4-Ryan Switzer, but do you really want another 5'9" WR? As for as high end guys, Zay Jones and Chris Godwin. I built a metric that measures WR quickness as it compares to height and it kind of adjusts for height, so a 6'3" guy that has good quickness could score better than a 5'9" guy that is timed faster. Zay Jones and Chris Godwin put up two of the highest numbers I have ever gotten for WRs over 6'. When they get to the pros, with the right coaching, they will be elite guys, terrors, that can not only handle deep routes (because both are over 6'1" with speed), they also have the ability to run any route because they have elite COD for their size. Both have excellent hands as well and both make contested catches. If I were a team in need of a WR, I would not have issue taking either in R1. In fact, I like both better than John Ross, even though I know he will likely be an edge terror in the NFL.

5-Zay Jones or Chris Godwin, for the reasons I mentioned above. Either have the ability to press deep. Both can run shorter routes and get separation. Both have good hands and make contested catches.

6-Most explosive? You would think it would be Engram with his speed, but I would say David Njoku. Engram doesn't always play to his speed and when he does, he drops some passes. Njoku plays faster than he times and is a physical runner. I mean, could say Howard, but I think he goes top 15. I'd also watch the guy from South Alabama, Gerald Everett, he is really, really good. He is my #3 TE behind Howard and Njoku.

7-Meh, don't really like any of the ILBs in coverage. Jared Davis or Raekwon McMillan I guess. McMillan might be the best fit. He needs to improve in coverage, but he is smart, coachable, could improve. I'd rather draft one of those big safeties and cover. I mean, Obi Melinfonwu could probably become an elite ILB for us. He is 224 pounds. Rueben Foster, the top ILB in the draft, was 229. Who covers better? Josh Jones is 220. Josh Harvey-Clemons is 217. Nate Gerry is 218. Rayshawn Jenkins is 214 and he will hit you. If you really want a coverage player, why not go with a coverage player. But, if you want an ILB, a true ILB, I'd look at McMillan in the middle rounds.

8-The best short yardage RB would be Bell. I'd look for a guy with his characteristics. I mean, if Bell is out there at the 1, are you running him, swinging him out, moving him to the slot, what exactly does the defense trot out? If they go big and heavy, force them to cover him with run stopper. If they keep coverage guys out there, run it. The best thing for the Steelers in the red zone, would be getting a second healthy TE that can play and getting Martavis Bryant back. Then, if you 2 TEs, 2 WRs, and Bell. You can spread the defense with 5 receivers or bring a TE into the backfield and run. It opens up all options to counter the defense. But, I think if you want a thumper, I'd look at D'Onta Foreman of Texas and Elijah Hood of UNC. The Steelers have shown interest in both, both will drop their pads and pop somebody, both have decent hands, and both have some speed. There was a lot of talk about Colbert being at the UNC pro day to watch Trubisky because Fitchner was there. I'm not buying the high end QB talk. In fact, I'm not sold they draft one at all. I have a sinking feeling it is smoke. Colbert was seen talking to Elijah Hood for a while. Hood is 5'11"-232 and ran a 4.58 forty. He is a thickly built stump of a runner than will drop his pads. They also went to Texas to see D'Onta Foreman. Foreman wasn't allowed to run at the combine because the medical team found a stress fracture in his foot. Apparently he offered to sign a waiver and workout, but they shut him down. He is 6'-233 pounds. At his pro day, he was timed in the high 4.3s in the 40. I read someone compare him to Blount as far as style and I can see that a little, especially between the tackles, but I think he has better hands and is more versatile.