• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

I am really wondering if the whole QB evaluation process this year is really about evaluating the QB evaluation process! This may be a practice run for next year.

In other words... do the evals, ranks the QB's, bring the prospects in that meet the criteria, then rank them again... and THEN make a pick (for internal use only).. THEN watch their play this year in the NFL (for whatever team they are ACTUALLY drafted by). What I am saying is that we don't seem to have a handle on picking QB's. We seem to have an understanding of WR's and OL... but not QB's.

I doubt it Colbert and the scout time is valuable. Seeing and interviewing a lot of QB's means they are serious. Ben can say he's leaning about coming back for 2017, but I think in private Tomlin and Colbert have to be conserved.

Without Ben, this is .500 team and both would have been shown the door long ago. Well-- Maybe Colbert would still be here.

I would say this QB class is more unproven, there are a few talent players.

Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, and Dak Prescott are recently examples of QB's taken in rounds 2-4. I am for drafting such a QB, and like Webb in round two or three.

But ask yourself this, if Ben retires after this season, are the Steelers prepared? We have too much talent to go less than 9-7, so we'll never get a top 10 pick.

Drew Brees is a recent example? He was drafted in the 2001 draft, sixteen years ago. OMG. What about Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo, Chris Weinke, Sage Rosenfels, and Jesse Palmer taken in the same draft. What about 2002 and Josh McCown, David Garrard, Rohan Davey or 2003 and Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, and Seneca Wallace. In 2004, there was Matt Schaub and Luke McCown. In 2005 ,it was Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene, Kyle Orton, and Stefan Lefors. In 2006, it was Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle. In 2007, it was Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, and Isaiah Stanback. In 2008, it was Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kevin O'Connell. In 2009, it was Pat White and Sephen McGee. In 2010, it was Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka. In 2011, it was Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallet. In 2012, it was Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins. In 2013, it was Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, and Matt Barkley. In 2014, it was Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage. In 2015, it was Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. In 2016, it was Christian Hackenberg, Jacoby Brissett, Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, and Cardale Jones.

The ONE fairly common trend for the drafts were gems were found later, it was usually pretty strong at the top (QBs went first, several first rounders). In weaker drafts, it went to garbage fast. But, I don't expect you to recognize that.

Now, you state WITHOUT BEN, they have too much talent to go LESS than 9-7. Keep that in mind as you read on down.

I doubt it Colbert and the scout time is valuable. Seeing and interviewing a lot of QB's means they are serious. Ben can say he's leaning about coming back for 2017, but I think in private Tomlin and Colbert have to be conserved.

Without Ben, this is .500 team and both would have been shown the door long ago. Well-- Maybe Colbert would still be here.

So, they are 8-8 without Ben, but cannot go less than 9-7 without Ben. You posted those two lines in BACK TO BACK posts. I mean, you dropped trousers, took a dump, and then fell back in it. The simple truth is, since Jones has been the primary backup and asked to replace Ben, the Steelers are 3-3 with the three wins being against Cleveland (2016), San Diego (2015), and Kansas City (2015). And, one of those wins belongs to Vick, two to Jones, including the overtime game last year against Cleveland. One of the losses belongs to Vick as well. So, Landry Jones is .500. Ben, on the other hand, is .692 as the starter (and I am including the game Landry started, got hurt, and Ben played almost the entire game on a bad wheel).

I'd say you are correct that the Steelers are, at best, a .500 team without Ben. That means, at best, they are 8-8 and that gives them a top 10 pick. So, you can whine and caterwaul about them being 9-7 or better because they are too talented in an effort to support your "draft a QB" line, but you are too big a jackass to even carry it one post further. Not even one post later you waffled back off it. The Steelers went 10-4 last year with Ben. They were 1-1 with Jones. By stating they would be 9-7 without Ben means you think that Ben is only worth 2 wins a season over Jones, which is damn near laughable on its face.

It makes complete sense for the Steelers to do a LOT of research on quarterbacks this year because no one knows exactly where they are going to get taken. It would not shock me at all if one or two of the QB's everyone talks about slides in the draft. It would not shock me if 3-4 QB's went in the first round. I just have no clue right now.

So the Steelers have to do all the homework on these guys because they can't sit in the war room and watch Kizer drop to their #62 pick and sit there not having done enough homework on the guy to know whether to pick him or not. Same thing with guys maybe that could be on the board in round 3.

Do I think the Steelers are seriously thinking of using pick #30 on a QB? God, I hope not. But after that pick, all bets are off. Who knows what they are thinking right now. If I was to guess, they just want to be ready if the owner asks why we aren't considering a potential franchise QB.

I would say this QB class is more unproven, there are a few talent players.

Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, and Dak Prescott are recently examples of QB's taken in rounds 2-4. I am for drafting such a QB, and like Webb in round two or three.

But ask yourself this, if Ben retires after this season, are the Steelers prepared? We have too much talent to go less than 9-7, so we'll never get a top 10 pick.

Why care? I sure as hell don't. We haven't even really started this year yet and you are worried about 2018 and beyond?

Anyone who says that the Steelers need to be in a win now mode but at the same time pushes for drafting a QB high is talking out of both sides of their ***.

Drew Brees is a recent example? He was drafted in the 2001 draft, sixteen years ago. OMG. What about Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo, Chris Weinke, Sage Rosenfels, and Jesse Palmer taken in the same draft. What about 2002 and Josh McCown, David Garrard, Rohan Davey or 2003 and Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, and Seneca Wallace. In 2004, there was Matt Schaub and Luke McCown. In 2005 ,it was Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene, Kyle Orton, and Stefan Lefors. In 2006, it was Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle. In 2007, it was Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, and Isaiah Stanback. In 2008, it was Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kevin O'Connell. In 2009, it was Pat White and Sephen McGee. In 2010, it was Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka. In 2011, it was Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallet. In 2012, it was Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins. In 2013, it was Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, and Matt Barkley. In 2014, it was Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage. In 2015, it was Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. In 2016, it was Christian Hackenberg, Jacoby Brissett, Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, and Cardale Jones.

The ONE fairly common trend for the drafts were gems were found later, it was usually pretty strong at the top (QBs went first, several first rounders). In weaker drafts, it went to garbage fast. But, I don't expect you to recognize that.

Now, you state WITHOUT BEN, they have too much talent to go LESS than 9-7. Keep that in mind as you read on down.

So, they are 8-8 without Ben, but cannot go less than 9-7 without Ben. You posted those two lines in BACK TO BACK posts. I mean, you dropped trousers, took a dump, and then fell back in it. The simple truth is, since Jones has been the primary backup and asked to replace Ben, the Steelers are 3-3 with the three wins being against Cleveland (2016), San Diego (2015), and Kansas City (2015). And, one of those wins belongs to Vick, two to Jones, including the overtime game last year against Cleveland. One of the losses belongs to Vick as well. So, Landry Jones is .500. Ben, on the other hand, is .692 as the starter (and I am including the game Landry started, got hurt, and Ben played almost the entire game on a bad wheel).

I'd say you are correct that the Steelers are, at best, a .500 team without Ben. That means, at best, they are 8-8 and that gives them a top 10 pick. So, you can whine and caterwaul about them being 9-7 or better because they are too talented in an effort to support your "draft a QB" line, but you are too big a jackass to even carry it one post further. Not even one post later you waffled back off it. The Steelers went 10-4 last year with Ben. They were 1-1 with Jones. By stating they would be 9-7 without Ben means you think that Ben is only worth 2 wins a season over Jones, which is damn near laughable on its face.

tmc if you don't remember coach is well... special. You see he only say things as they fit his agenda, even if there's no support to them.
We just call him out and then ignore him because he won't ever acknowledge being wrong. Even so, sometimes he writes decent posts

TMC and Del what are y'all thoughts on Jarrad Davis LB Deon Florida

TMC and Del what are y'all thoughts on Jarrad Davis LB Deon Florida

Davis has decent size at 6'1"-240. He runs well. Very athletic. When he sees it, he closes and can deliver a hit. But, he will miss some tackles. He doesn't always come through the trash well. He gets caught on blocks. In coverage, first step is almost always forward and can lose guys in coverage. He really has some work to do there and his athleticism doesn't always show through. Better playing forward. Great athlete, probably go in the 2nd but might sneak into the first. That is a little rich for me. I think he is very similar to Timmons when he came out, raw, and will need some time to get better. I'm not so sure he reads plays well either.

I don't think it matters though. I think the ILB we are targeting is a conversion guy, Javancy Jones. Jones is 6'1"-245 pounds. He played DE in college. He isn't as explosive as Davis, but he does run in the 4.55 range. He threw up the bar 26 times, should come from the 5th down. He played as an off-the-ball linebacker at the Shrine game and was excellent. He has a lot of similar characteristics to Haason Reddick. Forgive the music on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiFvCUM34WI

Davis has decent size at 6'1"-240. He runs well. Very athletic. When he sees it, he closes and can deliver a hit. But, he will miss some tackles. He doesn't always come through the trash well. He gets caught on blocks. In coverage, first step is almost always forward and can lose guys in coverage. He really has some work to do there and his athleticism doesn't always show through. Better playing forward. Great athlete, probably go in the 2nd but might sneak into the first. That is a little rich for me. I think he is very similar to Timmons when he came out, raw, and will need some time to get better. I'm not so sure he reads plays well either.

I don't think it matters though. I think the ILB we are targeting is a conversion guy, Javancy Jones. Jones is 6'1"-245 pounds. He played DE in college. He isn't as explosive as Davis, but he does run in the 4.55 range. He threw up the bar 26 times, should come from the 5th down. He played as an off-the-ball linebacker at the Shrine game and was excellent. He has a lot of similar characteristics to Haason Reddick. Forgive the music on this:

I agree we need an ILB who can play some nickel. The guy I like a lot is Anthony Walker. If he's there in round three, I hope we pick him.

TMC, What do you think of him?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/anthony-walker jr.?id=2558015

Keep seeing that he is good in coverage and with the draft being deep at positions of need I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers went with a curve ball that we aren't thinking about. I will check out Jones

I agree we need an ILB who can play some nickel. The guy I like a lot is Anthony Walker. If he's there in round three, I hope we pick him.

TMC, What do you think of him?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/anthony-walker jr.?id=2558015

I like Walker okay. I thought he was a 4th or later type guy. Still do. I think his stock has climbed some though as a lot of people have him in the early 3rd and he just isn't athletic enough for me to take that high. Those less athletic ILBs are kind of becoming like 2-down run stopping NTs. Even the really good ones are being devalued. I think Walker will be exposed as stiff in coverage once he gets to the NFL. I'm looking for a guy like Shazier in coverage. If he cannot cover like Shazier, or at the very least Timmons, good chance he won't be on the field ahead of Williams and I don't expect Williams on the field for 70% of the snaps. So, that puts any choice after the 4th for me.

Keep seeing that he is good in coverage and with the draft being deep at positions of need I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers went with a curve ball that we aren't thinking about. I will check out Jones

I don't really see that. He has the physical tools to get much better, but in zone, he doesn't get good depth. In man, he bites on shoulder and head fakes, can lose guys and be in chase with open windows. He can get there, but I don't see it right now. He wasn't used there much at Florida. He will need time to develop it. When I am looking at a draft where I can grab guys with the first four picks that can help right now, prospects that need time lose value.

I don't really see that. He has the physical tools to get much better, but in zone, he doesn't get good depth. In man, he bites on shoulder and head fakes, can lose guys and be in chase with open windows. He can get there, but I don't see it right now. He wasn't used there much at Florida. He will need time to develop it. When I am looking at a draft where I can grab guys with the first four picks that can help right now, prospects that need time lose value.
When I say see I mean when I read reports. I haven't really watched any film on him that's why I asked you and Del. Don't want to use the pick on a ILB so I haven't looked at them much except McMillan

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Jared Davis is a good football player. His film was good and his pro day was spectacular (once confirmed). Everyone talks about Reuben Foster but Davis isn't that far behind him. Aggressive downhill but still has the athleticism to cover so you can check off that box. Similar to guys like Timmons, Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner. Can blitz and will get better vs. RB blockers. Has the length and KEI to be effective doing that.

There's some injury concerns with Davis that have to be checked out. He had torn meniscus in his knee as a Sophomore, missed a couple starts as a junior (although played) and then had ankle issues this past year.

There is no reason he couldn't fit next to Shazier in our system. The issue might be the durability issue and positional value might not lead to pick him at #30 and he's probably gone at pick #62. But if you trade back from #30 or trade up from #62, he has value for the right price.

Note if Davis is there for us at #62 and he clears medical, I would pick him ahead of a lot of the CB's we've talked about. I think the CB's are so deep we can find good ones in round 3-4 while I think the LB population dries up quick in this draft between the really good 3-down guys and then a drop off to 2-down or situation guys or guys very similar to what we have or project/development guys.

1-Yes, both McKinley and Lawson have medical concerns. I would imagine both would be called back to Indy for medical rechecks. Watt may as well, two knee injuries sidelined him his freshman and sophomore year. If he goes back for med recheck, it is a concern. Question is, if McKinley heals, is he still a concern. Have to weigh all that. Right now, both Lawson and Watt are ready to go, McKinley is recovering. That dings him. But, without the injury, we don't sniff him. Are you drafting for Day 1 or a career?

2-For me, it is Budda Baker and Chidobe Awuzie. They are two guys I covet. Both can play the slot. Both support the run. Awuzie plays corner and could likely be a stud there. Baker plays FS, could be a stud there. Both help early in the slot. I don't know if we pull the trigger on either in R1 and might not see them make it to #62.

3-Hard to say. Realistic? Two scenarios. If we see edge rushers go early and hard, I think we go OLB first, it would be:
1-Watt (I think McKinley and Lawson would be gone).
2-Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida.
3a-Marcus Maye, S, Florida
3B-Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
4-Donta Foreman, RB, Texas
5-Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas

What I would like:
1-Budda Baker, S, Washington
2-Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State
3-Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
3b-Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
4-Rayshawn Jenkins, FS, Miami
5-Donta Foreman, RB, Texas.

I would take either one of these drafts right now and be happy.

TMC - thoughts on Trevor Knight?

I've seen him being mentioned as only a late draft pick or not at all.
my question is why.

is this analysis on nfl.com legit? i saw him play a few times and he may not be accurate, but dude's a winner.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-knight?id=2558267

Analysis
Strengths
Looks the part with a muscular, athletic build. Has the ability to hurt teams with his legs or extend plays outside of the pocket before striking downfield. May possess packaged play potential with zone-read capabilities on short yardage. Able to generate velocity on intermediate throws. Kept a clean sheet on his short passing attempts with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Weaknesses
One of the least accurate starting quarterbacks in college last season. Operates in the pocket with an excessively wide base as a passer. Has an elongated pitcher's windup and his arm slot drops down slightly below a three-quarter release. Location of his throws is a coin-flipper from snap to snap. Struggles mightily to attack outside the hashes. Lacks anticipation as a passer and allows defensive backs to close out throwing windows.

Bottom Line
Knight is a tough guy and a very capable runner, but he's never thrown with any functional accuracy and he doesn't have the anticipation and delivery quickness necessary. Knight is a longshot to make an NFL roster.

link from delzjc in another thread

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/trevor-knight-vs-auburn-2016/

Last edited:
I like Walker okay. I thought he was a 4th or later type guy. Still do. I think his stock has climbed some though as a lot of people have him in the early 3rd and he just isn't athletic enough for me to take that high. Those less athletic ILBs are kind of becoming like 2-down run stopping NTs. Even the really good ones are being devalued. I think Walker will be exposed as stiff in coverage once he gets to the NFL. I'm looking for a guy like Shazier in coverage. If he cannot cover like Shazier, or at the very least Timmons, good chance he won't be on the field ahead of Williams and I don't expect Williams on the field for 70% of the snaps. So, that puts any choice after the 4th for me.

Walker is a very smart player, and reads the QB well. His speed is decent. He defended a lot of passes, so perhaps he more than the sum of his physical parts in coverage. I think he's worth one of our third round picks.

The guy your looking for won't be there in round three for us. Timmons IMO was average at best in coverage for the past two years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-walker-1.html

as you all are saying after the 3rd is slim pickins for a 3 down ILB, we might have a better chance at getting a specialist big safety in later rounds, something like Jay Feeney last season.

Run downs Vince Williams plays, passing downs the big safety gets the snap

TMC - thoughts on Trevor Knight?

I've seen him being mentioned as only a late draft pick or not at all.
my question is why.

is this analysis on nfl.com legit? i saw him play a few times and he may not be accurate, but dude's a winner.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-knight?id=2558267

Analysis
Strengths
Looks the part with a muscular, athletic build. Has the ability to hurt teams with his legs or extend plays outside of the pocket before striking downfield. May possess packaged play potential with zone-read capabilities on short yardage. Able to generate velocity on intermediate throws. Kept a clean sheet on his short passing attempts with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Weaknesses
One of the least accurate starting quarterbacks in college last season. Operates in the pocket with an excessively wide base as a passer. Has an elongated pitcher's windup and his arm slot drops down slightly below a three-quarter release. Location of his throws is a coin-flipper from snap to snap. Struggles mightily to attack outside the hashes. Lacks anticipation as a passer and allows defensive backs to close out throwing windows.

Bottom Line
Knight is a tough guy and a very capable runner, but he's never thrown with any functional accuracy and he doesn't have the anticipation and delivery quickness necessary. Knight is a longshot to make an NFL roster.

link from delzjc in another thread

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/trevor-knight-vs-auburn-2016/

I'm not a fan. He plays primarily out of the shotgun. He had three draftable WRs in Speedy Noil, Josh Reynolds, and Ricky Seals-Jones. Reynolds and RSJ are BIG WRs. When he hits his drop, feet are often wide, makes it hard to step into throws. He throws a ton with just his arm, bad mechanics, causes passes to sail. He will throw into coverage and I don't think he reads things well. He is similar in his game to Johnny Manziel and that isn't a complement. He wasn't any better at Oklahoma and lost his starting job, it is why he was a grad transfer to TAMU. I'm not interested. I'd rather look at one of the smaller school QBs.

Walker is a very smart player, and reads the QB well. His speed is decent. He defended a lot of passes, so perhaps he more than the sum of his physical parts in coverage. I think he's worth one of our third round picks.

The guy your looking for won't be there in round three for us. Timmons IMO was average at best in coverage for the past two years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-walker-1.html

Are you really pointing to his 12 career passes defensed as a metric for his coverage ability? Well, hell, might as well go with Tyler Matakavich then, since he had 7 career INTs and 11 career passes defensed. He must be a coverage monster. Why not Jordan Evans of Oklahoma, bigger, faster, 5 INTs and 16 PDs in his career. Or Jayon Brown (3 INs and 12 PDs).

And, you have NO clue what I am looking for. Why? Because I have not written it on a website for you to read and use.

as you all are saying after the 3rd is slim pickins for a 3 down ILB, we might have a better chance at getting a specialist big safety in later rounds, something like Jay Feeney last season.

Run downs Vince Williams plays, passing downs the big safety gets the snap

The Steelers have visited or they are going to visit 30 guys. Of the 12 known so far, only 1 is an off-the-line LB and that is Javancy Jones. That is it. Now, they are looking at big safeties. They are bringing in Obi Melifonwu (6'4"-224), Josh Jones (6'1"-220), and Montae Nicholson (6'2"-212). Now, Nicholson played a glut of deep safety, but if he has an area of weakness, it is bad angles and being late to the play on the deep end. He will hit you though, so the transition to an in the box guy is in his wheel house. He is visiting today with Derek Rivers, Takk McKinley, and Jourdan Lewis.

The safeties they are bringing in are all big enough and versatile enough to play as a $backer.

I'm not a big fan of Walker Jr.

I scouted him as "Just a Guy" pretty much. Below the bar on height, length, athletic testing. Average film. Tries to run around guys a lot and can take long routes to the play. Not physically gifted enough to really tangle with the big boys. Limited in coverage.

I probably don't start getting interested in him until round 5.

Are you really pointing to his 12 career passes defensed as a metric for his coverage ability? Well, hell, might as well go with Tyler Matakavich then, since he had 7 career INTs and 11 career passes defensed. He must be a coverage monster. Why not Jordan Evans of Oklahoma, bigger, faster, 5 INTs and 16 PDs in his career. Or Jayon Brown (3 INs and 12 PDs).

And, you have NO clue what I am looking for. Why? Because I have not written it on a website for you to read and use.
I think Dirty Red will be a useful backup and eventually a Olsavsky type starter. You can't have superstars at every spot. The guy next to him is. Don't draft ILB in first 4 or 5 rounds.

just wanted this to be read again.....