• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 Draft Profile: Western Michigan’s Skyy Moore

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Skyy Moore (Wide Receiver), Western Michigan, Sophomore

OVERVIEW

For having only played quarterback and cornerback in high school, Moore is one of the top wide receiver prospects in this year’s draft. If you are a follower of Pittsburgh high school sports, you may recognize Moore as a graduate of Shady Side Academy. Coming out of high school, Moore was a three-star recruit and earned four Division I offers. But once he committed to Western Michigan, he switched to wide receiver and made an immediate impact. As he grew into the position, Moore made a name for himself in the slot and with such a high demand for slot receivers in the NFL, he’s going to be a name that is going to be rising to the top of a lot of draft boards. With the futures of JuJu Smith-Schuster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and James Washington still uncertain, the Steelers are going to need to draft a dependable wide receiver to help whoever starts under center next year; and Moore is exactly what they need.

PROS

Moore is a quick, shifty receiver who has some of the best hands in this draft. With his background of playing both quarterback and cornerback, Moore has a unique skill set in reading where he should be on the field in different scenarios and adjusting to different coverages. Between that and his footwork, Moore always finds himself open and in position to make a play. Once the ball is in his hands, Moore is one of the best at picking up yards after the catch. Although he is a bit undersized, Moore has a high motor and is incredibly difficult to bring down. Moore has a nose for the pylon and is willing and able to pick up the tough yards to extend drives. It is also worth mentioning that in college, Moore racked up 171 receptions for a total of 2,482 yards with 16 touchdowns. In that, Moore only dropped 7 passes. That means Moore caught about 96% of passes thrown his way.

CONS

For being ready to take the leap to the NFL, Moore is a bit undersized for being a slot receiver. Measuring 5’10” and 195 pounds, this may lead to him getting lost in traffic in the middle of the field or getting beat on blocks on sweep or counter runs. Moore was also never asked to block much in college, so he’ll need to show he’s able to be coached to fit into a run scheme. Although he has great hands, Moore lacks deep-play ability and has a fairly limited route tree. This may have worked in the MAC, but NFL scouts may see this as indicating a relatively low ceiling. For Moore having quickness and agility in his route running, he lacks true break-away speed.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late 2nd to Early 3rd Round

As of right now, Moore is hovering at the 8th-best wide receiver prospect going into the NFL Combine. With other names like Drake London, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams, and Jahan Dotson, Moore may slide a bit in the second day of the draft. In addition, with teams most likely using their first picks on the quarterback position, offensive line positions, and on defense, this will push Moore’s name further back in the second day.

VERDICT

I like Moore. Watching his tape from college, I immediately think of Hines Ward. For reference, Ward measured about 6’0” and 195 pounds at the NFL combine in 1998; almost identical to where Moore currently sits. We’ve seen a large influx of “undersized-but-reliable” players in the NFL the past several years with the likes of Wes Welker, Hunter Renfrow, Rondale Moore, Cooper Kupp, and Jamison Crowder and Moore could easily find himself in that same category. For the Steelers, there’s a constant demand for sure-handed slot receivers and Moore would fit seamlessly into the offense. Just like last year with Pat Freiermuth, don’t be surprised if the Steelers stretch for Moore with their 2nd selection. Should Smith-Schuster depart from Pittsburgh in free agency, Moore would be a great plug-and-play for the 2022 offense. Plus, we are all familiar with how much the Steelers appreciate the talent level of the MAC.

Where do you see Moore going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think Kupp is like 6'2? Not undersized by any means. Anywho I was thinking Hines Ward when I read the intro with his background but Hines I didn't consider undersized either. For me undersized at WR is 5'8 -5'9.