• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 in review and beyond

FordFairLane

Reaction score
QB- Tale of two halves. I stated I wanted to see improvement in December and Pickett definitely had a much improved second half. He pushed the ball down field more often which resulted in maybe a lower completion percentage but a much improved yards per attempt and TD to INT ratio. He seemed to make better decisions in and out of the pocket. I also think leaning on the run game allowed him to slow down a bit open more passing lanes. Toppled with his two game winning drives vs the Ravens and Raiders were confidence builders going into 2023. It was definitely a positive end to the season. That said we will need a step up in play next year if we are to make waves and not just get to the playoffs but win a game or two. If you take KP's last 7 games and spread it out over a 17 game season he would have thrown for a tick over three thousand yards, with 12 td's and two or 3 picks. Now we don't need him to be Tom Brady next year but I want to see that steady increase in play. My hope for him is 3,500+ yards, 20+ TDs and less than 10 INT's. I think with a year of experience under his belt and a good offseason those are all reasonable aspirations. As for the backup situation I would not expect Trubisky to be back and that is ok. He received his contract much like Tyrod Taylor in the assumption he should get paid like a starter but you will be hard pressed to find an 8 million dollar backup on a roster. Looking at 2023 QB free agents it is actually going to be a buyers market. Brady, Mayfield, Darnold, Garoppolo, Bridgewater, Daniel Jones, Rudolph, Geno Smith, Brissett, Mike White, Dobbs, Andy Dalton, Minshew, Heinicke, Lamar Jackson, Cooper Rush, and guys like Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Tannehill are likely to be on the market as well. Now obviously some of those guys will be tagged or signed before free agency but that is a decent crop of free agents. I would probably target Dobbs as he is a very intelligent QB who could almost be a player coach at 28 to Pickett on the sideline. The titans might sign him immediately to compete as Tannehill is likely gone, Willis is no where near ready to start, and Dobbs has done "ok
in his two starts with the team. An offseason could really do wonders for him as well. But with the list of guys above my intuition thinks a guy like Jacoby Brissett would be a target for them and a draft pick. Leaving Dobbs as the odd man out. Wait a few weeks and thow a 2-year 4 million dollar deal at him and see if he bites.
CmpAttIncCmp%YdsTDIntRateSkYdsY/AAY/A

RB- Much like above this was a tale of two halves for Harris. I believe, no real proof, that Harris was far from 100% at the start of the season. He probably tried playing through pain which is admirable but might have been detrimental to the team as well. Below is Najee's first 8 games vs his last 9. Looking at the roster Snell is likely gone as I feel he will at least try to catch on as a backup. He is a good special teamer but with the addition of Warren expendable. I wish him good luck. I think McFarland experiment should be about over. So a late round or UDFA running back is what I would want here. Tyjae Spears I saw rated as a 7th/UDFA priority and if he was there in the 7th I would jump all over that. Same with Roschon Johnson from Texas. He played behind the best running back in college football and did well in his few opportunities. Guess what I am saying there will be a solid #3 back who can push the guys above late in the draft.
AttYdsY/ATD

WR- I am very excited about this group as Pickens could be the best of the bunch for that deep 2022 receiving draft class. We don't even know what we have with Calvin Austin III. And even though DJ gets a lot of guff he is an above average receiver. Just needs to get better focus for his hands. I would not be against grabbing a receiver in the draft even with the core we have. I don't think it is a huge need as is but I probably wouldn't commit to DJ past this contract unless he is willing to sign for cheap. I also would be willing to listen to trade offers but would need a 1st or a combination that included a couple of day two picks. That said I think using Austin's speed paired with Pickens hands and DJ's route running should be a nice trio of options for Pickett all bringing their uniqueness to the offense.

TE- Freiermuth is a stud and I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when we found out his knee didn't have a tear. I think he and Pickett had a nice chemistry especially when things started to breakdown. I look forward to that relationship continuing to grow. But Gentry is likely gone and Heyward is more of a HB than pure TE. I was hoping we could stash Rader on the practice squad one more year but the Titans snaked him. So we likely need at the very least a blocking TE.

FB- I just can't justify bringing Watt back for 3.25m a year. He is a special teams ace and a decet inline blocking FB and short yardage guy but with the emergence of Heyward I really can't justify that price tag. I would let him test free agency and then offer him the 1.2m league min for his years of service. That I could support but other than that we just need to let him walk.

OL- This unit is much improved over Roethlisberger's last year. Still room for improvement but as a whole I would say top 15 in the NFL compared to dead last in 2021. IMO Dan Moore would be a phenomenal LG. I just don't think he has the kick slide to keep up with elite pass rushers at a premier position. But you put him in a phone booth and I really feel he would blossom into a pro bowl guard. Kevin Dotson just isn't more than an above average backup or spot starter. Way too many mental mistakes. 12 penalties is just not acceptable. Mason isn't something to write home about but has played above the line and is a smart player with only one penalty all year long. I think he is reasonably priced and though if a guy like John Michael Schmitz was staring me in the eyes with our second round pick I probably run to the podium, I would not feel the need to draft a center with Cole and JC on the roster next year. James Daniels is definitely the best lineman in terms of pass and run blocking and was a good free agent pickup. I think he needs to tighten up his 5 penalties but overall he played well. He started off like the entire line looking confused and lost but by the end of the season really had blossomed as a quality guard. Chuks is probably the second worst offensive lineman we have though has played better this last couple years. I am on the fence about his roster bonus due March 20th. I look at a guy like Jermaine Eluemunor who is a much better overall blocker and listed market value is 5.6 million and think to myself we could save 4.4 million and improve a spot on the line. Now easier said than done but I would say if we drafted two tackles in this draft I would not be upset.

DL- This is a huge question mark in my book. Heyward played elite and is the heart and soul of that defense. You can't release him. But he also has a huge cap number and salary with only 2 years left on his deal. So you have to extend him to really do much lowering of his cap hit. So what do you do? I personally let Heyward play out this contract. He will be 34 next year so extending him past 35 is just asinine as he already has 2 year left on his current deal. I let him prove in 2023 that he is worth 16 million in 2024. I do that because of two reasons. Heyward is playing well enough to earn 16 million next year. And after 2024 we are going to need to re-sign Freiermuth and Harris and even look into the possibilities of extending Pickens and Pickett if they have earned them. I don't want to be robbing Peter to pay Paul now. Montravis Adams is reasonably priced but I definitely would go into the draft looking for an upgrade. Either way he has one year left and is just a body imo. DeMarvin Leal and Loudermilk both are riding potential but Loudermilk especially needs to have a breakout season. He really again isn't much more than a body out there. So here comes the $64,000 question. Do you go into 2023 with Loudermilk and Leal fighting it out for the spot opposite Heyward or do you see if you can get Ogunjobi to sign another 1-year 8 million dollar deal? If you don't sign Larry it opens up a lot of opportunities for you to either re-up your free agents or go after another position. So like I stated the defensive line is a huge question mark on what Khan decided to do. We could either go into 2023 with the same starters in Heyward, Adams and Ogunjobi or possibly go in with three new starters or a variation of either.

Edge- Watt and Highsmith were a fearsome duo. Watt after his knee and pec injury really didn't look like himself until December rolled out. But I have high hopes for the two next year. I would attempt to get Highsmith locked up if he can come in at a reasonable price. Problem is with TJ's and Heywards contract we have a lot of money tied up in the front seven. Having him under contract for 2023 definitely helps our position at the bargaining table. We can realistically pay him 21 million over the next two years by letting him play out his contract and tagging him in 2024. I would see if we could get him to sign a 5 year 75 million dollar deal with 40 million upfront. I think that gives him a nice guarantee and insurance against getting injured going into the final year of his deal and it gives us a phenomenal duo pass rush for the next 2 or 3 years. If it looks like he is going to play hard ball I would make a pass rusher a higher priority in the draft.

ILB- Jack, Crowder and Robinson are the only ILB on contract for 2023. And imo Jack did not perform up to his salary. He didn't really make many any splash plays. Bush can leave as he really lost the fire he had as a rookie and the start of his injured sophomore season. His comments in the offseason should have got him bench but instead we road him out most the season to watch him allow running backs to run right past him and then try chasing them down from behind. He is honestly the least physical ILB I have ever seen. If you could put Spillane's head on Bush's body we might have something. But unfortunately, Spillane seems to know where to be but far too often is a step behind the play. I would like to have him back as a spot starter and situational football player but not as my every down ILB. Mark Robinson flashed his first action. But as good as he looked stuffing the run he whiffed and several tackles/sacks the very next game. He will need at least another year learning the position. I would say best case scenario is he takes over for Jack in 2024. This leaves more uncertainty at the ILB than we have had since the horrific injury of Ryan Shazier. This leaves only a few options for the Steelers but to either sign a priority free agent at ILB like a Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds. A stop gap like Kwon Alexander or Cory Littleton. Or investing a high draft pick at the position... again.

DB- The secondary imo has been undervalued as I would say as a collective unit we are one of the better secondaries in the league. Cam Sutton should be a priority as he is still young and playing his best football. Terrell Edmunds is still young and has been ascending as a player should be another guy we try to get back in the fold. Kazee should come back as a reasonable price tag. And I think we should keep Levi Wallace and let Witherspoon go, unless Witherspoon is ok with taking part of his salary in incentives. And I think James Pierre should receive more playing time in 2023. This all hinges on Sutton. If he leaves then a CB should be a top draft priority along with LT and ILB.

Just one question. How is there doubt about Najee not being healthy at the beginning of the season? He suffered a lisfranc injury in the preseason and missed a good bit of it. He had a setback in game 1 but kept playing with a steel plate in his shoe until the week before the bye. He got to rest during the bye and only ramped things up week after week from then on. I think that makes things pretty obvious. Plus, the O-line got better at run blocking. Pass blocking - not so much.

Nice write-up, though.

Nice breakdown of the positional groups. From an overall point of view, very interesting this week how the national media is hyping up Tomlin for yet another non-losing season while the local media and fans aren't quite as high on this accomplishment. Instead, it's been a focus on another year without a playoff win. In reality, the strong finish was a combination of the improvement on offense and defense while playing a very soft schedule. Basically, they won the games they were suppose to and that is a very good thing. I also won't pretend that this team is close to being a contender. It feels like they need one terrific offseason to get to that status next year or two good offseasons with the chance to be a legitimate contender in 2024.

QB - In retrospect, signing Trubisky was probably a waste. I thought he'd be better. I would've rather went into the season with Pickett as the starter and Rudolph as the backup, but whatever. Pickett showed some nice signs moving forward, but also missed opportunities. Probably should have another 5-6 TD passes. He's a hard worker and will be putting in the time to perfect his craft this offseason. I feel good about his potential.

RB - The Steelers finally found a nice 1-2 duo with Harris and Warren. Harris played some of his best games as a Steeler down the stretch, particularly against the Ravens. Still, only 12 games in two seasons running at 4.0 YPC. The Steelers drafted him to be a top back and while the OL hasn't always been there, he needs to become an even bigger threat. I'd also like them to throw to the backs more next season.

TE - Freiermuth had a big jump in YPC this year and it could be even better next year if the Steelers open the offense some. They need to get back to using him as a top red zone target.

WR - This group is underwhelming. Johnson has too many lapses, but maybe taking a step back with Pickens taking a step forward next year will be a positive. I hope Austin can be a speed threat this team needs and I hope that Sims improves moving into next season. I'd like one more veteran or rookie to- round out this group.

OL - The Steelers were going to be an improved team if the offensive line improved in the rankings by 7-8 spots. They blew that away moving into the top half of the league and you have to credit the players and coaches for that. Cole and Daniels were smart signings. I'd still like to see more athleticism in this group. The Steelers are at their best with an athletic guard and center. Give me at least one stud on the line next year.

DL - Heyward started off slow and finished as one of the top IDL in the league. They lost a valuable depth piece when Wormley went down and Loudermilk didn't exactly take a step forward.

EDGE - Watt and Highsmith are a great duo. What I like about Highsmith is he does it all very well and given how much the Steelers have invested in his development, I hope they can reach a long-term deal. Maybe approaching him early will help get him locked in at a discounted rate. I'd also invest another midround pick on a edge defender if a guy falls. This defense is at its best rushing the QB and a rotational piece would really help out.

ILB - Ford, I agree about Bush's comments. It was borderline worthy of just releasing him, just a terrible attitude. This team just can't figure out the position and they'll be in a weird spot this offseason. They just need competent play. Maybe the moneyball approach is best. Get four guys with different skill sets and mix and match their alignments throughout the season.

DBs - I am right with you on the DBs. It's a solid group from top to bottom if they can bring everyone back. I'm not convinced the Steelers value elite-level CBs so I'm not sold they'd go in this direction in the first. However, there is a lot of talent at the position, so it may be the year to capitalize on it and try to get a shutdown corner.

Nice breakdown of the positional groups. From an overall point of view, very interesting this week how the national media is hyping up Tomlin for yet another non-losing season while the local media and fans aren't quite as high on this accomplishment. Instead, it's been a focus on another year without a playoff win. In reality, the strong finish was a combination of the improvement on offense and defense while playing a very soft schedule. Basically, they won the games they were suppose to and that is a very good thing. I also won't pretend that this team is close to being a contender. It feels like they need one terrific offseason to get to that status next year or two good offseasons with the chance to be a legitimate contender in 2024.

QB - In retrospect, signing Trubisky was probably a waste. I thought he'd be better. I would've rather went into the season with Pickett as the starter and Rudolph as the backup, but whatever. Pickett showed some nice signs moving forward, but also missed opportunities. Probably should have another 5-6 TD passes. He's a hard worker and will be putting in the time to perfect his craft this offseason. I feel good about his potential.

RB - The Steelers finally found a nice 1-2 duo with Harris and Warren. Harris played some of his best games as a Steeler down the stretch, particularly against the Ravens. Still, only 12 games in two seasons running at 4.0 YPC. The Steelers drafted him to be a top back and while the OL hasn't always been there, he needs to become an even bigger threat. I'd also like them to throw to the backs more next season.

TE - Freiermuth had a big jump in YPC this year and it could be even better next year if the Steelers open the offense some. They need to get back to using him as a top red zone target.

WR - This group is underwhelming. Johnson has too many lapses, but maybe taking a step back with Pickens taking a step forward next year will be a positive. I hope Austin can be a speed threat this team needs and I hope that Sims improves moving into next season. I'd like one more veteran or rookie to- round out this group.

OL - The Steelers were going to be an improved team if the offensive line improved in the rankings by 7-8 spots. They blew that away moving into the top half of the league and you have to credit the players and coaches for that. Cole and Daniels were smart signings. I'd still like to see more athleticism in this group. The Steelers are at their best with an athletic guard and center. Give me at least one stud on the line next year.

DL - Heyward started off slow and finished as one of the top IDL in the league. They lost a valuable depth piece when Wormley went down and Loudermilk didn't exactly take a step forward.

EDGE - Watt and Highsmith are a great duo. What I like about Highsmith is he does it all very well and given how much the Steelers have invested in his development, I hope they can reach a long-term deal. Maybe approaching him early will help get him locked in at a discounted rate. I'd also invest another midround pick on a edge defender if a guy falls. This defense is at its best rushing the QB and a rotational piece would really help out.

ILB - Ford, I agree about Bush's comments. It was borderline worthy of just releasing him, just a terrible attitude. This team just can't figure out the position and they'll be in a weird spot this offseason. They just need competent play. Maybe the moneyball approach is best. Get four guys with different skill sets and mix and match their alignments throughout the season.

DBs - I am right with you on the DBs. It's a solid group from top to bottom if they can bring everyone back. I'm not convinced the Steelers value elite-level CBs so I'm not sold they'd go in this direction in the first. However, there is a lot of talent at the position, so it may be the year to capitalize on it and try to get a shutdown corner.
You could probably get that stud G with the 32 pick. Or upgrade RT with it. I am still in the WR or corner mode if LT isn't there at 18 with the dark horse being an OLBer. Ok with Trib returning. Not like there is a surplus of attractive QBs available. Usually this is where I would say he also knows the scheme but knowing a chalkboard full of crayon scribbles, I am sure isn't a hard learn. ILBer they probably should lock up their own minus Bush. That is including bringing both safeties back. No need to disrupt that room IMO. Find it hard to fathom that there isn't a Bush upgrade on the free agent market even with the rats locking up a good one.

You could probably get that stud G with the 32 pick. Or upgrade RT with it. I am still in the WR or corner mode if LT isn't there at 18 with the dark horse being an OLBer. Ok with Trib returning. Not like there is a surplus of attractive QBs available. Usually this is where I would say he also knows the scheme but knowing a chalkboard full of crayon scribbles, I am sure isn't a hard learn. ILBer they probably should lock up their own minus Bush. That is including bringing both safeties back. No need to disrupt that room IMO. Find it hard to fathom that there isn't a Bush upgrade on the free agent market even with the rats locking up a good one.
The draft is deep with top edge talent. I just don't know how I feel drafting an OLB with Watt and Highsmith under contract and so many other areas that could be upgraded.

The draft is deep with top edge talent. I just don't know how I feel drafting an OLB with Watt and Highsmith under contract and so many other areas that could be upgraded.
I get that. But think about this. Watt or Highsmith sit out a play. Then comes in a stud pass rusher with no drop off. Really helps out that secondary. The flip side is drafting a stud pass rushing DE. Then you have an extra push up front that nobody is giving you consistently outside of Heyward. I am equally fine with that approach as well. More pressure equals less completed drives which gives that crayola offense the chance to average two more points a game.

Highsmith played about 88% of the defensive snaps with Watt playing 84% (when healthy). If you get a guy like Dupree, then he only really plays one side so you're drafting a pass rusher to maybe get 15% of the snaps. I'd be open to it, I just think the draft would have to fall in a really bad way for the Steelers to draft an OLB in the first. Maybe long-term you're thinking OLB and then try to trade Highsmith next year.

I could see them trading DJ.

I think they are going to DBL down on being a running team. Not as much as the Ravens but like that.

Strengthen the OT, OG position maybe draft a blocking tight end.

Go with a weaker WR group than previously used to.

Get a true NT.

Let KP go dink and dunk here and there with well-planned deep throws to Pickens ETC

Basically, go back to Steeler Football.

Maybe

The Steelers could go either way with Mitch next season. His $8 million salary in 2023 is about the same as his and Rudolph's cap hit combined in 2022 (3.66+4.04=7.7), so with Mason gone and KP's cap hit only moving up around 600K, they should have plenty of room to bring him back (along with a rookie #3) if they so choose.

I liked what Ogunjobi brought to the DL. If they can re-sign him at a reasonable number, I think he provides great experience and depth. He made a lot of plays in the backfield this year. Kazee is another guy I'd like to see back, especially at a figure near the bargain-basement price they got him at in 2022.

What they do at WR is contingent on the health of Austin. If he's clear and ready to go, it's like getting a bonus second-day draft pick at the position.

They need help at OT and LB, where depth continues to be razor-thin.

Should be an interesting offseason.

We have a new GM, etc. now. It will be interesting to see how things run. Hopefully, it doesn't end up being Tomlin running everything. I said it in another thread. If they can't get something reasonable done with Highsmith this offseason, they could look to move him instead of letting him hit FA next year. This year may have priced him out of what we can afford even though he didn't do much when Watt was out. He is definitely one dude that should be giving Watt a bonus for being able to come back this year. He doesn't even get 10 sacks this year without Watt. He's a complementary piece, not the main guy.

We have a new GM, etc. now. It will be interesting to see how things run. Hopefully, it doesn't end up being Tomlin running everything. I said it in another thread. If they can't get something reasonable done with Highsmith this offseason, they could look to move him instead of letting him hit FA next year. This year may have priced him out of what we can afford even though he didn't do much when Watt was out. He is definitely one dude that should be giving Watt a bonus for being able to come back this year. He doesn't even get 10 sacks this year without Watt. He's a complementary piece, not the main guy.

Still a pretty good complimentary piece.

Bud Dupree was a complimentary piece as well but Highsmith has developer much faster And in my opinion better.

Highsmith needs extended this off season, there is that 5th year tag or maybe that doesn’t apply due to draft position factor. I say get after him FO, Kahn make your stand.

Salute the nation

ILB- Jack, Crowder and Robinson are the only ILB on contract for 2023. And imo Jack did not perform up to his salary. He didn't really make many any splash plays.
Seems taking the FA route to fill our ILB positions since Shazier's injury have fallen short, time after time. Bostic, Shoebert, Jack. We can't seem to find a long term answer there.

I liked what Ogunjobi brought to the DL. If they can re-sign him at a reasonable number, I think he provides great experience and depth. He made a lot of plays in the backfield this year.
I'd like him back, too, and for those exact reasons. But he may be looking to sign with the Ravens.... just to complete his AFCN tour. ;)

Highsmith played about 88% of the defensive snaps with Watt playing 84% (when healthy). If you get a guy like Dupree, then he only really plays one side so you're drafting a pass rusher to maybe get 15% of the snaps. I'd be open to it, I just think the draft would have to fall in a really bad way for the Steelers to draft an OLB in the first. Maybe long-term you're thinking OLB and then try to trade Highsmith next year.
I wouldn't go first round for an edge rusher even if Highsmith was playing hardball. Like I said we have this year and then can tag him next year. But if we can't get an extension before the draft I wouldn't be upset taking our second 2nd round pick and grabbing a BJ Ojulari quality player. Ojulari can rush from either side, young as he will have just turned 21 at the draft, and has solid production in the SEC. I would say if we can get him 40% of the snaps and keep Watt and Highsmith rested with 80% a piece it would help prevent injury, and be a safety net if we can't get Highsmith locked up.

Seems taking the FA route to fill our ILB positions since Shazier's injury have fallen short, time after time. Bostic, Shoebert, Jack. We can't seem to find a long term answer there.
I think Bush was supposed to be the long term answer. He flashed his rookie season but fizzled quickly. I think the real and only good solution is more situational football formations. I think if we re-sign Edmunds we can use him as a hybrid ILB/S and bring him in the box more and if we can re-sign Kazee use him as a more traditional safety in those sets that look to be a pass. Then in sets that look to be a run bring in a Mark Robinson or Spillane and maximize their abilities to fill holes and chase. I do think we need an every down LB. I would take Trenton Simpson in the first, Drew Sanders in the second, or Owen Pappoe/ Jack Campbell in the third or DeMarvion Overshown/Tommy Eichenberg in the 4th.

Bud Dupree was a complimentary piece as well but Highsmith has developer much faster And in my opinion better.

Highsmith needs extended this off season, there is that 5th year tag or maybe that doesn’t apply due to draft position factor. I say get after him FO, Kahn make your stand.

Salute the nation
He is a good piece. It'd be nice to keep him but I don't know if they can. They will make him a fair offer like they always do and see where it goes but they should not pay him like a top-tier OLB. He is good but he is not elite. He had one good year and the overwhelming majority of his good stats this year came when Watt was on the field commanding double teams. He did very little in the games Watt missed. We shall see what they do.

He is a good piece. It'd be nice to keep him but I don't know if they can. They will make him a fair offer like they always do and see where it goes but they should not pay him like a top-tier OLB. He is good but he is not elite. He had one good year and the overwhelming majority of his good stats this year came when Watt was on the field commanding double teams. He did very little in the games Watt missed. We shall see what they do.
In the 8 games Watt was gone Highsmith still had 5.5 sacks. If you would spread that over 17 games that is 12 sacks. Not bad but not elite. But if you look at his sacks by year it was 2, 6, and 14.5. He is an ascending player. I believe if we re-up him this year we get a little discount as we have one year left on his rookie deal. If we go into next year and we tag him my guess it's 20+ million a year. Max Crosby had similar production and received a 4-year 98 million dollar deal but only 23m guaranteed. Harold Landry kind of blew up like Highsmith but on the last year of his rookie deal. He got 5-year 87.5m with 35m guaranteed. So our only bargaining chip is Highsmith is only due $1,089,000 this year and going into free agency. Doesn't mean he wouldn't get paid if he got hurt, look at Dupree, but that really backfired for the Titans so perhaps teams would shy away from such a big contract. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Offer to pay him 5-year 75 million with 35m-40m guaranteed. Or 60 million 4-year with 25 million guaranteed.

I think Watt went out in game 1 and came back after the bye. That was 7 games and Highsmith had 3.5 sacks. That equates to only 8.5 sacks in a 17-game season. Decent but not impressive. Folks on here wanted to run other OLB's out of town for that kind of performance. Highsmith had 3 sacks in game 1 and 2 in the game after the bye when Watt came back. This all just shows how great Watt is and that he is the true MVP of the team. I really can't see us paying him $15 million per. If they do, Cam is definitely not coming back after his current contract is up unless he takes next to nothing. But, maybe that's a decision that has to be made. Watt and Minkah's huge cap hits will both be in full swing in 2 years. I just don't know how they can put even more cap hit on the D with nothing really on the O yet other than DJ. They better hope they get some young studs in the drafts to balance out so much money going to so few on the D. I'm glad it's not my decision.

Salute the nation
5th year is only for 1st rounders iirc

I think Watt went out in game 1 and came back after the bye. That was 7 games and Highsmith had 3.5 sacks. That equates to only 8.5 sacks in a 17-game season. Decent but not impressive. Folks on here wanted to run other OLB's out of town for that kind of performance. Highsmith had 3 sacks in game 1 and 2 in the game after the bye when Watt came back. This all just shows how great Watt is and that he is the true MVP of the team. I really can't see us paying him $15 million per. If they do, Cam is definitely not coming back after his current contract is up unless he takes next to nothing. But, maybe that's a decision that has to be made. Watt and Minkah's huge cap hits will both be in full swing in 2 years. I just don't know how they can put even more cap hit on the D with nothing really on the O yet other than DJ. They better hope they get some young studs in the drafts to balance out so much money going to so few on the D. I'm glad it's not my decision.
7,5 sacks with a complete non factor on the other side is not bad. I guess having 2 Highsmiths level guys at the same should produce about 10 sacks each

In the 8 games Watt was gone Highsmith still had 5.5 sacks. If you would spread that over 17 games that is 12 sacks. Not bad but not elite. But if you look at his sacks by year it was 2, 6, and 14.5. He is an ascending player. I believe if we re-up him this year we get a little discount as we have one year left on his rookie deal. If we go into next year and we tag him my guess it's 20+ million a year. Max Crosby had similar production and received a 4-year 98 million dollar deal but only 23m guaranteed. Harold Landry kind of blew up like Highsmith but on the last year of his rookie deal. He got 5-year 87.5m with 35m guaranteed. So our only bargaining chip is Highsmith is only due $1,089,000 this year and going into free agency. Doesn't mean he wouldn't get paid if he got hurt, look at Dupree, but that really backfired for the Titans so perhaps teams would shy away from such a big contract. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Offer to pay him 5-year 75 million with 35m-40m guaranteed. Or 60 million 4-year with 25 million guaranteed.
Nice information post

We have the highest paid “D” in the NFL but also realize that can change in the off-season. I’m hoping Highsmith can be had early,
and for a “cap” friendly hit.

Sa lute the nation

5th year is only for 1st rounders iirc

Thanks, at the time of the post I had shade being cast upon my memory. I cut one eye lid off (saved in an envelope) then looked into the sun with other ey closed. ZFixed my shade problem.

Thanks for the reminder

Salute the nation

We've picked up guys that were great OLB (or great OLB prospects) in the past and used them as very effective ILBs. Chad Brown, Kendrell Bell, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons. Maybe we should consider that idea.

Agreed. They can't afford to break the bank on Highsmith, but they also need to find an adequate bookend to Watt (either via free agency or the draft) if they don't re-sign him. The depth is razor-thin at OLB.
In the 8 games Watt was gone Highsmith still had 5.5 sacks. If you would spread that over 17 games that is 12 sacks. Not bad but not elite.
This is just wrong information.

Watt didn't miss 8 games. He missed seven, and Highsmith had 3.5 sacks in those games. Which would be 8.5 sacks over a full season, not 12.

Edit: I see that TDX27 has already corrected this misinformation. Nice work.