• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2024 combine thread.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed DIC. We need to build the trenches and role players before we do anything about a QB.
this might not be popular But I see it different. our last franchise QB played 18 seasons you are lucky to get 10 from a lineman. this years draft could be better than 04 at QB. I move up in the draft and get my guy even if it cost me for a couple years. you can find a center in free agency or trade for one. you can make due with an average or slightly above average oline. look at the 05 SB. You have to have an elite QB to nowadays to make a run, especially in the AFC North.

I go get my guy even if it cost me two first round picks. I am not Kahn but I would figure out how to use Pickett to help me move up. but no matter what I don't go into day two without getting a QB in round one. and for me my guy would be JJ McCarthy he just fits this team and it's new OC.

But hey what do I know I'm just a fan, I aint so football smart as most of the posters here.

this might not be popular But I see it different. our last franchise QB played 18 seasons you are lucky to get 10 from a lineman. this years draft could be better than 04 at QB. I move up in the draft and get my guy even if it cost me for a couple years. you can find a center in free agency or trade for one. you can make due with an average or slightly above average oline. look at the 05 SB. You have to have an elite QB to nowadays to make a run, especially in the AFC North.

I go get my guy even if it cost me two first round picks. I am not Kahn but I would figure out how to use Pickett to help me move up. but no matter what I don't go into day two without getting a QB in round one. and for me my guy would be JJ McCarthy he just fits this team and it's new OC.

But hey what do I know I'm just a fan, I aint so football smart as most of the posters here.
I have been leaning on getting a QB in the draft early. Moreso that it is such a critical position you want to fortify and then perhaps that gives you the best chance to win if not now, tomorrow.

Last edited:

I can agree with most of this, biut the problem is…………………………

Tomlin thinks Pickett is his guy. They are not going to burn draft capital to pick another QB, while thinking they already have said QB. I’d very surprised if they would admit to their mistake this soon.

That’s why I’m advocating TRENCH warfare workers.

I don’t thin k KP8 is long term answer, but maybe the new OC can get something working?

Salute the nation

I think they need a wr. I'm not sure DJ is gonna be a Steeler in fall and certainly not in 2025. Top two pick. It's a need.

I can agree with most of this, biut the problem is…………………………

Tomlin thinks Pickett is his guy. They are not going to burn draft capital to pick another QB, while thinking they already have said QB. I’d very surprised if they would admit to their mistake this soon.

That’s why I’m advocating TRENCH warfare workers.

I don’t thin k KP8 is long term answer, but maybe the new OC can get something working?

Salute the nation
I have been advocating for foundation players.
I also think they need to see what KP can do under a better OC, after investing a #1 pick. At lest this year. Why draft a guy then then move on before his contract is even half over? If you want to move on from players like that, the Browns might make you happier.

I think they need a wr. I'm not sure DJ is gonna be a Steeler in fall and certainly not in 2025. Top two pick. It's a need.
It won’t hurt my feelings watching him go somewhere else. Sure he may very well have potential to get better, but he is a cancer and unreliable when it counts.

Patriots are probably going to take Drake Maye. He'll probably work out and I'll puke.
Guy doesn't come without concerns. One thing is he didn't exactly statistically light it up in his last season. I believe his accuracy level doesn't jump out at you either.

Last edited:
The Pittsburgh sports media usually has good idea of what Steelers interests are in the draft and they’ve been covering certain positions - QB hasn’t been one of them. I just hope 2024 isn’t 1983 all over again.

Or the Tennessee QB or FSU QB.
no. as i've said before - if Heupel cant fix Milton, no one on our staff can. He's got - probably one of the strongest arms ever - but has absolutely zero touch. Short to intermediate passes are all bullets. Which, I guess, since we don't run short/intermediate passes, would be perfect. His pocket awareness needs more work than KP's too.

The Pittsburgh sports media usually has good idea of what Steelers interests are in the draft and they’ve been covering certain positions - QB hasn’t been one of them. I just hope 2024 isn’t 1983 all over again.
Not drafting a QB early would be a judgement mistake.

no. as i've said before - if Heupel cant fix Milton, no one on our staff can. He's got - probably one of the strongest arms ever - but has absolutely zero touch. Short to intermediate passes are all bullets. Which, I guess, since we don't run short/intermediate passes, would be perfect. His pocket awareness needs more work than KP's too.

Rattler would be an absolutely horrible pick in any round.

SORRY, but Tomlin/ FO thought 2023 would be 1983 all over again. Had they not taken Kenny Pickett.

Salute the nation

The majority of first round QBs never really work out. Thats why you build O and DLines out.
QBs work out best when a structure and identity are already established... there is virtually a zero percent chance a QB taken as a foundation piece is going to work out.
Read the stuff about Tim couch to see how a team can kneecap a QB by bad teambuilding...
Pickett might be ruined already, but you dont want to double down on a qb before you rectify the offensive issues.

Interesting thing... go back and look at the list of best velocities at the combine... save for Josh Allen virtually everyone is a bust or never was... its like 40 speed.. scouts fall in love with it but it doesnt translate to success at all

…its like 40 speed.. scouts fall in love with it but it doesnt translate to success at all
Right. If 40 times of rested, unimpeded players at the combine vary by .1 or .15 seconds, imagine how much speed varies during a game with somewhat winded players having to avoid or shed contact.