• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny

QBR is not a PFF stat.
Nope, it was concocted by ESPN in the 2010’s literally because of butthurt QBs like trent dilfer who hated Bens style of holding onto the football… they wanted to penalize qbs that didn’t do ‘what they should have done’… and passer rating was too pure and objective for that…

Kenny on the situation:

“I can’t give you guys some magical answer,” Pickett said. “It’s play the next play. We’re going to get better.”

Then he said: “We’re going to keep pushing forward. I don’t know how many times I’m going to give you the same answer. That is the message. This isn’t an easy game. You’re playing good defenses. It’s not going to happen overnight. Everyone wants those 40-point games. It didn’t happen right now, I get it. We’re going to continue to push for it. We’re going to get there. We’ve just got to keep going.”

I'd actually like to see more personal accountability from him. When performance is as bad as it's been he should make it a ME conversation and save the WE remarks for when they experience success.
I can see this if anyone else was playing good ball on offense. This entire unit pretty much stinks right now. Very few bright spots.

Kenny on the situation:

“I can’t give you guys some magical answer,” Pickett said. “It’s play the next play. We’re going to get better.”

Then he said: “We’re going to keep pushing forward. I don’t know how many times I’m going to give you the same answer. That is the message. This isn’t an easy game. You’re playing good defenses. It’s not going to happen overnight. Everyone wants those 40-point games. It didn’t happen right now, I get it. We’re going to continue to push for it. We’re going to get there. We’ve just got to keep going.”

I'd actually like to see more personal accountability from him. When performance is as bad as it's been he should make it a ME conversation and save the WE remarks for when they experience success.
Not sure that perception of a QBs maturity matters for on field success.

Most would have preferred that Ben didnt go boozing in Milledgeville or riding his motorcycle without a helmet, but his game performance was excellent.

Kennys accuracy has been bad, but that is a small piece of the puzzle. Some plays it seems he is flat out instructed to throw it to a specific guy regardless of the D. The line is clueless and some of our best weapons (the TEs) are not being used at all. The int Kenny threw there were like 6 bodies in the area. The goal should be to spilt up the coverage not have everyone converge at one spot. The one big play we hit Kenny got destroyed on. It is hard to do anything when you constantly have to worry if you are going to get crushed every play. Kenny definitely deserves some blame for some really bad decisions, but alot of the struggles fall on the oline and Canada.

I can see this if anyone else was playing good ball on offense. This entire unit pretty much stinks right now. Very few bright spots.
Pickens and Warren have looked very good in relation to the rest of the O

These two are two big mistakes. Left LB stays in the flat for the RB and safety doubles the post. Pickens is on an out and Kenny is looking right at him, or at least at the post and the second he sees the safety double teaming the post your eyes should come off that and to Pickens for at least a glance. If Pickett sees it when the DB turns his back to double the post Pickens is open by 8 yards and it is an easy 18 yard completion and whatever else Pickens gets on YAC.

Right he stares down Pickens and doesn't even see that CA3 is singled up on Ward. Now Ward is their best cover CB but if you throw it out in front and let CA3 go after it and he does it's a TD. If you over throw it, no problem. You just loosened up that defense.

These are the mental progression we need from Kenny. These are well designed plays and you can't blame Canada for Kenny missing the open man. And then half a dozen misfires are not his fault either. I am all fine with a new OC but unless Kenny starts seeing the field better and corrects his accuracy it won't matter if you bring Mike Holmgren in to be your OC. Nothing will change.

Last edited:
I’m caught up in the Steelers hype like most. Definitely more this year than in the recent past, and Im really excited to see what Kenny brings his second year. I’m not a film breakdown guy, and I’m not a college football guy. Living down here DEEP in SEC country, it’s all I can do to avoid the topic. But I went back and watched just about every YouTube video I could find of Kenny’s days at Pitt. I’m sure many of you followed him closely in college and have been able to foretell what he might bring, but I wanted to watch for myself. I was certainly familiar with the accolades, but dang…the film. Some things that stuck out…

1. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this, I looked at his stats from Pitt his senior yr and thought…maybe I’m misinterpreting this column. His long TD pass for each game…his shortest all season was 25 yards. His second shortest (of the long TDs) was 35. 13 games…all had a TD of at least 25 years. (67 longest)
2. He consistently throws a beautiful deep ball. Even in college his ball placement was nearly perfect. His timing with Addison has me really excited to to see what he’s developed with DJ and Pickens...and hopefully Austin.
3. If I have one critique it’s that he threw off his back foot a lot even while in the pocket (but with very good touch and accuracy). But in the day and age of Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, is that even still a thing? I’m sure they’re working on mechanics, but I find it reassuring he’s able to make off balance throws so accurately.
4. The reverse spin move he did when escaping the pocket against the Ravens last year when he threw the TD to Najee…he’s done that a lot. That back shoulder spin seem to be instinctual…nice.
5. He uses the middle of the field regularly. Even in college, the seam, skinny post…he was very effective using that part of the filed.
6. Based on what I’ve seen I think we can expect a lot of QB sneaks and KP diving for the pylon or first down marker while reaching to ball forward. (Those both seemed to be themes)
5. He’s a winner

So much has been made of him going against the non-starters in preseason, and the ACC isn’t known as the toughest conference, but what he brings is hard to defend. I don’t care how good the competition, it’s hard to defend a perfectly timed, placed pass, and that’s what he does again, and again, and again. If he improves at reading defenses, pocket presence and has time to throw, he’s going to score A LOT of points. And we already know he’s putting in the effort to improve.

I predict he’ll be the Steelers MVP this year. We have a real winner.
I bet you wanna retract this assessment now. MVP???

But seriously though, it's early. Change the OC and be may have a chance...

In your heart of hearts, even with an OC change, does anybody TRULY believe Kenny Pickett can lead this team to a Super Bowl? I know it’s only his second year, but I just can’t see it.

Most would have preferred that Ben didnt go boozing in Milledgeville or riding his motorcycle without a helmet, but his game performance was excellent.
Well he was also winning Super Bowls on the field, so there's that.

In your heart of hearts, even with an OC change, does anybody TRULY believe Kenny Pickett can lead this team to a Super Bowl? I know it’s only his second year, but I just can’t see it.
He's what the team has, so yes I do. Won't be this year, but teams have won the Super Bowl with less at QB than KP.

But it will never happen with Canada's offense.

I do want to point this out….

The 49’rs have now faced 4 Qbs in 3 weeks, here are their QB ratings:

Kenny Pickett 68.4
Matthew Stafford 67.8
Daniel Jones 64.2
Tyrod Taylor 39.6

The Browns have faced 3 in two weeks

Kenny Pickett 71.8
Joe Burrow 52.2
Jake Browning 39.4

So in both cases, Pickett has performed the best against each defense… very bad, no doubt, but better than more experienced and established qbs have so far…

Kenny Pickett 68.4
Matthew Stafford 67.8
Daniel Jones 64.2
Tyrod Taylor 39.6

Kenny Pickett 71.8
Joe Burrow 52.2
Jake Browning 39.4

So in both cases, Pickett has performed the best against each defense… very bad, no doubt, but better than more experienced and established qbs have so far…
Wow...thank you for that healthy dose of perspective

Kenny Pickett 68.4
Matthew Stafford 67.8
Daniel Jones 64.2
Tyrod Taylor 39.6

Kenny Pickett 71.8
Joe Burrow 52.2
Jake Browning 39.4

The KP haters will not like this one aota.

Kenny Pickett 68.4
Matthew Stafford 67.8
Daniel Jones 64.2
Tyrod Taylor 39.6

Kenny Pickett 71.8
Joe Burrow 52.2
Jake Browning 39.4

And both teams are top 5 against the run. Canaduh should have had plays ready to counter them and should have made adjustments. That's where our biggest problem still is. Canaduh.

Kenny Pickett 68.4
Matthew Stafford 67.8
Daniel Jones 64.2
Tyrod Taylor 39.6

Kenny Pickett 71.8
Joe Burrow 52.2
Jake Browning 39.4

It is a long season. I want to see progression. I will compare Kenny's 1-4 games with his 5-8. Then his first have vs his second half. I know this year we are not going to win a super bowl. I mean Ben was just different and trying to catch lightening in a bottle twice is just not a fair expectation. And giving up on Kenny right now doesn't do anyone any good long term. We are going to have growing pains and it is what it is. I am hoping for a good game this week. Raiders are 2nd worst in the league in TD receptions allowed and dead last in completion percentage.

Agreed. But going by the old school Quarterback rating he is currently 29th with 69.9 ahead of Zach Wilson, Bryce Young, and DeShaun Watson. Some QB ratings of note Josh Dobbs is 17th at 89.5, CJ Stroud is 16th at 91.2, Desmond Ridder is 15th at 93.1, Sam Howell is 12th at 95, and Brock Purdy is 8th at 102.9.
Howell has been overly impressive, more than I would of thought possible......cant believe Ridder is doing as well as he is...

IMHO---Kenny's pedigree exceeds those two guys...I hope he can get it all together in Vegas..

Last edited:
Howell has been overly impressive, more than I would of thought possible......cant believe Ridder is doing as well as he is...

IMHO---Kenny's pedigree exceeds those two guys...I hope he can get it all together in Vegas..
Howell had the best deep ball and arm of any of the QBs in 2022. Still has an impressive deep ball as shown vs the Donkeys with his TD pass to McLaurin. But he is short, small hands, a good athlete but not great. I had him and Kenny as solid second round picks and were 1a and 1b respectively. Hopefully, Kenny can catch up this week.

Howell had the best deep ball and arm of any of the QBs in 2022. Still has an impressive deep ball as shown vs the Donkeys with his TD pass to McLaurin. But he is short, small hands, a good athlete but not great. I had him and Kenny as solid second round picks and were 1a and 1b respectively. Hopefully, Kenny can catch up this week.
Howell reminds me alot of Sonny Jergensen......from a physical appearance and how he plays the position perspective..

Kenny's game reminds me of Brian Sipe's... I would love for him to reach that bar!

Howell always had a little too much Baker Mayfield in him for my liking… I wouldn’t have minded Ridder though… however I doubt our braintrust could develop him right.

It moderately worries me that the things analysts are pointing out as issues with Kenny this year were things he was already good at coming in to the NFL… that kind of regression is usually systemic and that is a big problem

Howell always had a little too much Baker Mayfield in him for my liking… I wouldn’t have minded Ridder though… however I doubt our braintrust could develop him right.

It moderately worries me that the things analysts are pointing out as issues with Kenny this year were things he was already good at coming in to the NFL… that kind of regression is usually systemic and that is a big problem
I actually like Baker over Watson. I was happy when they mortgaged their future for Bill Cosby and let Baker go. He isn't for everyone but is a fiery competitor, live arm, and a bit of a throw back gun slinger. He can be awful some games but then the next put the team on his back and win the game. I guess it is do you want steady eddy Aaron Rodger or Ben Roethlisberger. Rodgers was captain checkdown and take what the defense gave you. He loved garbage time and eating up all those meaningless stats. But that is why Rodgers has 21 comeback wins and Roethlisberger has 41. Ben pushed the ball into tight windows and sometimes put the nail in the coffin. But 41 times he put the team on his back and won the game.

ADD in that BEN had a way better fighting chance with OC’s than Pickett has had to date.

Salute the nation

And both teams are top 5 against the run. Canaduh should have had plays ready to counter them and should have made adjustments. That's where our biggest problem still is. Canaduh.

It’s a little deeper in that the opposing “D” knows what’s coming.

When QB is in shotgun, it’s slightly over 80% going to be a pass

and

When QB is under center, it’s even worse……… a little over 90% run.

talk about knowing what’s coming, no wonder that BOX is STACKED and the short passing is covered easily, because there is no down field passing attach.

Just for the record, the way better OC’s keep that pass to run ratio close to + OR -, 2-4% OF EACH OTHER.

Salute the nation

Yeah, I wouldn't say running under center or passing out of shotgun would be a tell. And people have to quit saying that plays down field AREN'T open. Maybe not like they are with the 49ers or Chiefs and that is why I am 100% fine with getting a new OC. But there's enough open to make this offense at least competitive. The problem there is Kenny either is missing the opportunity or is just throwing an inaccurate pass. So there's enough blame to go around.