• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

After Claypool trade mock draft

FordFairLane

Reaction score
RD1- Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
With Witherspoon regressing and the team trading for William Jackson III it is clear we are not happy with our outside CB's. Sutton is a FA next year and there's no guarantee Jackson, Wallace or Witherspoon aren't cap casualties. Ringo is a freaky athlete with a long body and arms. He checks the boxes with power 5 school and 20-year-old underclassman. I am almost certain he gets a meet with coaches and front office as well but that would be the last box that typically gets checked with our first pick.

RD2a- Andre Carter II ILB/Edge Army
The long 6-6 Carter is probably the best prospect to come out of Army in decades. He is moved around the field a lot playing mostly at end but is also asked to do a lot of coverage. His speed and natural ability to defend the pass has been a true asset to the pass defense. his commitment to the Army might drop him a little in the draft. He can request a deferment but if we were to go to war he likely would be called back to service. But with having a guy 1ith 18 sacks, 22.5 TFL and 2 picks this late in the draft I would be willing to pull the trigger.

RD2b- Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma
I am sure half the Steelers nation is yelling at the screen at this point for an offensive lineman. Well, it is a pretty deep draft class and our patients pays off. Harrison comes from a program that has 4 pro bowl offensive tackles in the league. He is also enjoying his best collegiate season at LT with the Sooners. I feel he would easily be an upgrade at LT and would allow Moore to kick inside to guard where in my opinion he could become a probowler.

RD3- Tuli Tuipulotu DL USC
Heyward is long in the tooth, Ogunjobi is a free agent, Alualu is past his prime and a FA, Adams is only signed through 2023. I think Leal, Loudermilk and Tuipulotu would make a nice trio in the coming years and would give Heyward a replacement and someone to give him a breather for the next season or two.

RD4- Zach Evans RB Ole Miss
I am not giving up on Harris and I love Warren but with Snell a free agent and the horrid season Harris has had I decide to get a guy who has averaged 6.9 YPC in his collegiate career. Evans has the speed and hips to get to the outside and turn the corner. That isn't something we currently have on the roster. Harris is a bruiser who plays like a scat back. Warren is a bowling ball that runs north and south. Evans would give us a bit of a speed guy to give us that home run threat we are currently missing.

RD7a- Julian Fleming WR Ohio State
A bit of a lost man for the Buckeyes. Fleming has performed well when targeted during his time in Ohio having a 120.6 rating for his QB. Seems crisp in and out of his breaks and tracks it in the air. Hand catcher most of the time. Gives decent effort blocking. Good size and speed. His route tree seems very limited and he will likely need some time to deveop.

RD7b- Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan
Our current #2 TE Gentry is a free agent so we replace him with a good blocking TE that is limited in pass catching but he does have good hands. Probably needs to develop a better route tree but for a #2 TE he should be good enough for a dump off or to sit in the a zone for a safety valve.

This draft would make me GM of the year! I take a trade from Houston that nets me additional draft picks this year, and 2 #1's in 2024 from Houston and Cleveland.

#13 Paris Johnson Jr.

OT Ohio State

#32 Joey Porter Jr.

CB Penn State

#34 Olumuyiwa Fashanu

OT Penn State

#38 Calijah Kancey

DT Pittsburgh

#68 Darnell Washington

TE Georgia

#103 Parker Washington

WR Penn State

#199 Connor Pay

OC BYU

#225 Nick Herbig

EDGE Wisconsin

· 2024 CLE 1st

· 2024 HOU 1st

Sort have had my eye on Ringo but I don't think I want him with the third or fourth pick. should arguably be better Dline value sitting there. Now drop down to 6-8 range and I would be more interested.

Sort have had my eye on Ringo but I don't think I want him with the third or fourth pick. should arguably be better Dline value sitting there. Now drop down to 6-8 range and I would be more interested.
It would be a huge advantage if Kenny demonstrates that he is the future QB1, because it gives the Steelers flexibility to trade down with QB needy teams, and could open up the road to 4 picks in first two rounds. If one of OL/DL/ILB/CB can be addressed in FA, then the draft can really fill Steeler needs, quickly

It would be a huge advantage if Kenny demonstrates that he is the future QB1, because it gives the Steelers flexibility to trade down with QB needy teams, and could open up the road to 4 picks in first two rounds. If one of OL/DL/ILB/CB can be addressed in FA, then the draft can really fill Steeler needs, quickly
Ultimately how the Steelers finish obviously factors in. If their post bye mirrors their pre-bye your thinking should be spot on. Pickett/Watt/Kaz could alter this with a few more wins than anticipated. Perhaps finishing 6 and 11. Watt's health the remaining season IMO will be the difference in 6 and 11, and 4 and 13. 6 wins perhaps puts the Steelers outside of the trade down window at least for QB needy teams. But perhaps still in a good position to trade down with teams who fall in love with a player at another position. For me I am liking a trade down at 6 losses a lot more than 4. 4 puts the Steelers in an attractive play at DL. 6 one could say they could stand pat for a LT. But with a new GM it will be interesting the approach.

3 of our first 4 picks should be on the OL and DL. And, we shouldn't trade down unless we are in the top 5 and stay in the top 10. We need a stud on the OL or DL in the 1st round. We need one of the very top guys that are pretty much a given to start this year and for the next decade. I saw one mock that had us picking a DL in Rd. 1 and it said Cam can groom him. I was like, WTF, we don't need someone to groom. We need someone to come in and start day 1 and be a force.

If we have 3 top 40 picks, 2 of those need to be OLINE, IMO.
Probably wouldn't be. With how they ignored Oline early in the past I would be happy with 1. Hopefully Dline is one. Then my guess would be CB or WR.

Colbert has made some knee jerk reactions but I am hoping Khan won't. Really look at the offensive line today. Dan Moore Jr. isn't good but as a swing tackle or guard probably serviceable. Kevin Dotson is rated 65.1 overall on PFF. He is ascending. Mason Cole is rated 64.1 on PFF. Pouncey's last season was 60.5 and 2019 was 51.5. Green was 52.4 last year. So way better than what we have had the last few years. James Daniels is rated 70.2 and I read has been the #1 rated RG in October. Again he's ascending. And Chuks is rated 64.8. Besides Moore we have an above average line and a WAY better like than what Rudolph had. Sorry had to throw that in there. So this is also a decent OT draft. There's a good chance someone falls for one of our early 2nd round picks.

On the D-line. Leal looks to have a future at end. It is early but you can see the potential. Loudermilk is a bit up and down. Need him to have more ups. If we trade back at all in the first or second we would probably be able to fill out the 5th and 6th round picks we are missing. But that again is more Colbert's style. He liked having a pick in every round. Khan might not value late round picks.

Carolina won tonight...I believe that gives us the #2 as of right now as Detroit has the better Conference record...If we lose out, I would not lose any sleep at all...In fact, with this season lost, I actually am rooting for all the bottom dwellers to win with each passing game so we can get prime draft position... We can absolutely re-tool & be back in the mix next year...

I like Pickett, but a Franchise Rookie QB comes in & plays like it immediately, which KP has not...

This League is QB driven & while we have a slew of issues, better not pass on a Franchise QB when you have 2 Generational QB's available for the taking...It's our best draft position in 50 + years, don't blow it....I'm grabbing either Bryce Young or CJ Stroud...

All the other picks I'll let you all fight over...Me ??? I'm getting a Franchise QB if available, in Round 1

Last edited:
Carolina won tonight...I believe that gives us the #2 as of right now as Detroit has the better Conference record...If we lose out, I would not lose any sleep at all...In fact, with this season lost, I actually am rooting for all the bottom dwellers to win with each passing game so we can get prime draft position... We can absolutely re-tool & be back in the mix next year...

I like Pickett, but a Franchise Rookie QB comes in & plays like it immediately, which KP has not...

This League is QB driven & while we have a slew of issues, better not pass on a Franchise QB when you have 2 Generational QB's available for the taking...It's our best draft position in 50 + years, don't blow it....I'm grabbing either Bryce Young or CJ Stroud...

All the other picks I'll let you all fight over...Me ??? I'm getting a Franchise QB if available, in Round 1
I thought they played attractive last year. Although Young's height is worrisome. CJ just dropped a goose egg and those Ohio State system concerns chime in. Franchise possibilities but no lock like some other past prospects.

Then you know they won't give up on Pickett so quick.

Then I go back to this being the year they should fortify the trenches.

Who are you taking? Stroud, Young, or Levis? I wouldn’t say any are locks at the next level. Hooker is as old as Pickett. You go two years and wait until what actually looks like could be a good 2024 draft class. This year’s “deep class” felt like all hype when they talked last year and it never materialized during the season, IMO.

I don't give PFF much attention. I just watch the games. Our QB's are running for their lives or need to be on the move for a play to be somewhat successful. And, they run block for shiznit. It's rare that Warren has a hole to run through and even rarer for Najee since most plays he runs are from the gun. There are almost always multiple defenders in the backfield to greet him when he gets the handoff. I just don't see this OL being even average. They are better than last year but still below average right now by a good bit. Let's see what they do after the bye.

A lot of franchise QBs take a year or so to get acclimated to the NFL. Ben was an exception . But what would help any QB would be a better running game.

Focus on the oline/dline

Playing so much shotgun doesn't help the run game either

Then you know they won't give up on Pickett so quick.

Then I go back to this being the year they should fortify the trenches.
I wanna Believe....Come on Kenny have a freaking break out game...

Last edited:
I wanna Believe....Come one Kenny have a freaking break out game...
I want to see it too but the Steelers feel like the only NFL that doesn’t ever have a backup or inexperienced QB ever have a breakout performance.

Mike Tomlin doesn’t know **** about grooming a QB, nor will he ever hire someone who does. Ben is the ONLY QB that has ever done anything.

I am probably on the minority here but I’m not big on Stroud or Young. Not saying they won’t be pro bowl QB’s just there’s so many red flags I’d probably put them bottom first or early second round picks at this point. Young is short with an average arm. Tua 2.0. And Stroud is hard to judge because he legitimately has 6 draftable receivers and 5 draftable offensive linemen and really only looks good vs 💩 defenses and teams. I haven’t seen enough of Young yet to gauge him vs top competition.

Here’s the other bomb I’ll drop. Will Anderson so far has looked like Jarvis Jones 2.0. Probably a better athlete but I just don’t see much in dominating traits. Last year at this time I said Sauce Gardner was the best player in college football and should be the first player off the board. I stood by that statement all year long. Looking back he is hands down the best rookie this year. I’m not seeing anyone like that in this draft. Maybe when I do film on that tackle from Northwestern. Which would fit a need. I saw him in one game and he really handled his business with ease. But he also looks a little smaller than I’d like. I think he might end up measuring under 6-4 and might not top 300lbs. Hopefully he has freaky long arms but I kinda doubt it. He looks more like a technician out there to me.

Last edited:
I am probably on the minority here but I’m not big on Stroud or Young. Not saying they won’t be pro bowl QB’s just there’s so many red flags I’d probably put them bottom first or early second round picks at this point. Young is short with an average arm. Tua 2.0. And Stroud is hard to judge because he legitimately has 6 draftable receivers and 5 draftable offensive linemen and really only looks good vs 💩 defenses and teams. I haven’t seen enough of Young yet to gauge him vs top competition.

Here’s the other bomb I’ll drop. Will Anderson so far has looked like Jarvis Jones 2.0. Probably a better athlete but I just don’t see much in dominating traits. Last year at this time I said Sauce Gardner was the best player in college football and should be the first player off the board. I stood by that statement all year long. Looking back he is hands down the best rookie this year. I’m not seeing anyone like that in this draft. Maybe when I do film on that tackle from Northwestern. Which would fit a need. I saw him in one game and he really handled his business with ease. But he also looks a little smaller than I’d like. I think he might end up measuring under 6-4 and might not top 300lbs. Hopefully he has freaky long arms but I kinda doubt it. He looks more like a technician out there to me.
I've seen numerous draft analysts cool on both Stroud and Young. Both have struggled in areas this season and none of the anticipated leaps from other prospects ever happened. I agree about Anderson too. I haven't seen that elite pass rushing ability you'd expect from a top-3 pick and he's relatively small for an edge defender. Go figure the year the Steelers are going to have a high draft pick there is a lack of elite talent and no elite talent at the areas they really need.

Maybe the only guy is Jalen Carter. Any thoughts on him so far? He was Georgia's best defensive lineman last season and appears to be having a solid year once again. I know the Northwestern tackle has done nothing but perform at a high level, but there is a lot of talk shifting him inside.

I've seen numerous draft analysts cool on both Stroud and Young. Both have struggled in areas this season and none of the anticipated leaps from other prospects ever happened. I agree about Anderson too. I haven't seen that elite pass rushing ability you'd expect from a top-3 pick and he's relatively small for an edge defender. Go figure the year the Steelers are going to have a high draft pick there is a lack of elite talent and no elite talent at the areas they really need.

Maybe the only guy is Jalen Carter. Any thoughts on him so far? He was Georgia's best defensive lineman last season and appears to be having a solid year once again. I know the Northwestern tackle has done nothing but perform at a high level, but there is a lot of talk shifting him inside.
Carter might be the cream of this crop but he doesnt look like generational talent yet, he might lack some size maybe? I think trading down is the way, last year's draft looked better at the top though it's still early.

Carter I don’t think fits our system. He reminds me of Ziggy Hood. I would say the best pass rusher in this draft I’ve seen so far is BJ Ojulari. He has speed but has a counter inside rush. Has decent power. And plays the run very well.

Might be a trade down year. Get some more picks. This team can use a youth movement.