• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews

Well played tapenade ***! Sorry auto correct. @TMC "Wardish like in his game" should of been your first sentence! Let's hope fuller is there at 15 take him and move up for this guy(Cody). If that Lb/de is not gonna be there we want. They will be hard to find later.

You aren't watching film. You are watching youtube clips of TV broadcasts where the WR runs his route off camera half the time.

Time for you to catch the technology train. If you watch a 70-snap game in which a receiver runs, say, 30 routes, you can very easily see 15-25 of them in good solid detail. Furthermore, a player's release from the line stays on camera 100 times out of 100. So, you watch 2-4 films of a guy, you're seeing a guy run at least 40-80 routes, spread across numerous Saturdays, in numerous points of the season, against numerous types of secondaries. Not to mention, you see just about every catch and every drop from several angles at several speeds. No, it's not what scouts have, but I'm just some guy in front of a computer. It does just fine for my hobby of watching football. I'm not entirely sure how much Exclusive Scouting Film has been rushed to your door by the Penn State coaching staff, but I'd venture to guess you're evaluating Robinson the same way I am.

Besides.. Robinson is, well.. ahem.. let's just say he doesn't really soar beyond the scope of the camera.

Even so, i suggest you watch some more youtube clips because Robinson does not body catch most of the time like you keep saying.

It's all in my head!! And everyone else's. But you've got it right.

You're also flat wrong on your assessment that he's not a good athlete and that he struggles off the line.

I don't like the way he leaves the line. Sue me. He has a little bit of a hitch; it could be a snap timing issue, it could be a strategic thing to freeze the secondary, who knows. But watch him release, then watch Watkins or Cooks or Abbrederis or Austin Franklin release. Then come tell me he's got a lightning-fast release.

I said he's a mediocre athlete. Because he plays like one. He's fairly slow and straight-legged, so I don't see his breaks and cuts being all that sharp and fast. They're adequate, a synonym for "mediocre." I also think he's going to have a harder time going east-west on his beloved screens when he's facing NFL defenses.

You also seem to think he's making a basket catch on like every other throw.

He does it far too often to be consider a sure-handed guy. And since you brought up scouting reports, go check out the numerous I found within 2-3 minutes that have noticed it as well.

You discount Dennard because he didn't play anybody in the Big Ten as you say.

I knock Dennard a bit because he played against a striking lack of NFL receivers. If I'm not mistaken, he faced Jeremy Gallon and Cody Latimer, the end, and since Dennard is strictly limited to the short side of the field, he didn't shadow either; he only faced them part-time.

Robinson also ran a full NFL route tree unlike most other WRs in this draft. This is the time of year when that sort of thing gets completely dismissed in favor of guys who have a fast 40.

******* A. How is he not a top-5 pick, dude? Let's see.. he's a dazzling athlete.. flawless hands (against all evidence).. NFL-ready.. runs every route in the book and does so perfectly.. played against the phenomenal Big Ten.. and long speed doesn't matter for a receiver. Why is he buried in the 2nd/3rd in everyone's eyes? You really think it's a 40 time conspiracy? Is it by the same authors as the SEC Conspiracy? You are just incapable of admitting a flaw in anything Big Ten.

I have Robinson #12 on my board. The only "combine star" type I have ahead of him is Moncrief, who isn't just a good athlete with a fast 40 but rather a phenomenally explosive guy with combine numbers that rival Andre Johnson and Vincent Jackson. And I feel pretty confident about the guys I have ahead of him. I think there's a great chance Robinson outperforms some of them, like Moncrief and Benjamin, but those guys have upside I don't think Robinson has. I think his ceiling is Nate Burleson, and his floor is someone like Brandon LaFell. In other words, a third-rounder.

In this draft, I hope we aren't in a position to be fighting over the 'best of the second group' of WRs. After the first 4 or 5 (and I'm not sold on any of them being elite) there is still a nice crop of WRs who might be big contributors in this league. I like Marqise Lee (his production is WOW) but a guy nearly identical could be had in round 4 like Josh Huff. I think he gets consistent separation, has the same attributes as Lee and reminds me of a 'go to' WR. He might not be as productive (but he didn't have to be). Another guy I like late is L'Damian Washington. He is 'thin' but doesn't play like it. Like Abbrederis, he plays a physical style with what he has. Watch his Draft Breakdown against A&M, Florida (and their CBs) and Georgia. Scouts say he uses his body well but body catches too much (I didn't see ONE). What I did see is him 'dive', 'high-point' and make some incredibly athletic grabs while being contested (better than most NFL WRs) against pretty stout competition. I would not rush to draft a WR in this draft. There are athletic contributors all the way through at WR. Kevin Norwood might end up being the next great #2 WR drafted in the 5th or 6th round?

I also think we will 'double-dip' at WR because of the depth available along with a 'double-dip' at DB. I HOPE the FO doesn't go early on a ILB or an OLB (unless miraculously, a top 10 guy falls) as this draft is weak at the position. There are some decent picks at DE, T and TE which could also be had later. Our #1 and #2 should be at CB and CB. We can get 'better than what we have' at other picks later. WR is an important 'need' but the draft is deep. I can also see a pick like Wes Johnson as early as #4.

Robinson is a good athlete with better than average size and ability...so is Latimer (who will be over-drafted) but I'll take a guy with 50 catches and 10 TDs with a 18yd/avg, great hands, height and red-zone ability (as well as special teams) over the guy with similar stats 5 rounds earlier.

Washington's biggest issue to me, he drops a lot of passes and can sometimes struggle to get open. The body catches is pretty accurate. Dunno, I wanted to like him and in this crop of WRs, I just don't.

awfully comical that a ************ can dis on one person for "copy-n-paste" yet does the same thing and doesn't expect to be trolled on.

The guy I think is very underrated and would love to get late is Devin Street.

I just like a lot of his film and think he's got a shot.

More stalker bullshit.

My only, only copy-n-paste was when you told me YOUR copy-n-paste said Robinson has awesome hands. So I pointed out that even your own little game is stupid.

I eagerly await your next Idioteque-themed post of the day.

yes sir.
I've seen him as high as a 3rd round pick in some mocks, while completely falling out of others. WTF is the deal with that?

Street looks good. Kinda reminds me of Donald Driver. He doesn't jump off the tape and didn't blow up the combine but he does everything right.