• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Art II comments; reading between the lines

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Art gave his end of season comments.

1.) He believes in Shades, giving him contract extension.
2.) Believes in Kenny at QB, BUT, says he knows he must play better. (At least he acknowledged that he must play better.)
3.) He is also sick of no playoff wins. Thank God he said that. Is Shades listening? My new fear is Shades will win one postseason game and then feel "off the hook" and feel he is set for another 10 years.

So, on the plus side Art knows Kenny has to lay better and we must win a playoff game, t hose are the 2 positives out of what he said. But now:

1.) How much time does Kenny have until he improves his play? How long will his being in the bottom 25 QBs be "good enough?" How long will his average of 1 TD and 1 int be acceptable? (That's the pace he is on now, 13 TDs-13 ints, 62% for career). 24 starts with 13 TDs, horsie not lookie so good; averaging about 1/2 a passing TD per game. When is "enough enough?" Rooneys are infamous for being slow to react. At some point, that trait bleeds into being a negative, not a strength.

2.) What version of "winning a playoff game" will be enough? Will just winning one erase all concerns about this franchise becoming a legit contender? If Shades wins just one, is he off the hook for another 7 years? Or does Art mean we have to be a legit contender moving forward, most seasons? It appears Shades thinks just not posting a losing season is all he needs to attain. Is Art laying down the law that that level is no longer good enough?

I think Art2 said somewhere he wanted better QB play - yeah, and people in hell want ice water. If he thinks Mike can still deliver a championship he is deluded. Some very good teams fell by the wayside this year - and the Steelers aren't even close to being a very good team.

I think Art2 said somewhere he wanted better QB play - yeah, and people in hell want ice water. If he thinks Mike can still deliver a championship he is deluded. Some very good teams fell by the wayside this year - and the Steelers aren't even close to being a very good team.
No, you are right: Pgh is far, far away from being a "very good team" and the culture that Shades built simply won't suffice for a real, authentic run towards anything of substance. But I'm trying to find something positive in what Art said. At least he acknowledged Kenny has to play better. Is it a start?

KP will be QB1. He would have to play poorly and Rudolph (assuming they sign him) would have to light things up in the preseason for KP1 to lose his starting job. I don't see them doing it any other way. They won't move Rudolph ahead of KP unless the difference is very significant and even then, KP may still be QB1 to start the regular season.

As far as Tomlin, he ain't going anywhere. They all want the playoff wins but nothing has changed so I really don't know what Rooney is thinking. Sure, our players, other players, pundits, and other teams around the league sing Tomlin's praises. We, the Steelers fans, seem to be the only ones that would have fired him by now. My guess is Rooney gives him a 3-year extension.

He should go to Shades with an extension offer of 1 year for each playoff victory next year.

A true put up or shut up extension offer, if Shades balks see if the Commanders are dumb enough to trade for him

They can announce it as a “possible 4 year extension” and hide the details to save him some face and so players don’t look at him like the lame 🦆

But reality is cue the 3 year extension soon now that they have the OC hire done
As soon as the dust from this lip service settles would be my prediction

The fact that deuce says “we still believe Tomlin can lead us to a championship” shows just how little football acumen he has…more of the same on the way

My new fear is Shades will win one postseason game and then feel "off the hook" and feel he is set for another 10 years.
Not “feel”, but “is”.
All Shades has to do is win one wild card game and that clock is reset. He’ll be here until he can collect Social Security.
Again, several AFC teams are A LOT better than us so winning a playoff game is not a big concern.

The fact that deuce says “we still believe Tomlin can lead us to a championship” shows just how little football acumen he has…more of the same on the way
That or he's just playing the PR game; Rooney isn't so imperceptible to not play the PR game. And he's grown use to the obtuseness of the typical Steeler fan just buying whatever he is selling, even the absurd "rumors" of potential free agent signings, thrown out there just to keep "Joe fan" in a positive frame of mind without actually seriously considering the signing. He's been doing that for YEARS.

I’m relatively sure that the Deuce is a very nice person, good family man, solid citizen but as an owner he’s relatively naive for as long as he’s been in this thing.
By profession a lawyer and someone who did not grow up in this business like his dad, I think he always means well but he simply doesn’t have the football acumen that Dan had.
I mean the statement that he made about Tomlin can still communicate with the 20 year olds on the team. First off there are no 20 year olds on this team and second was Art watching when Johnson stood and watched Warren fumble in Cincinnati or when Pickens refused to block for a Warren in Indy.
Art saying that he’s tired of losing playoff games. Well where the hell have you been Art? It’s been seven seasons since the last win.
And to state that he still believes in Tomlin is just another indictment of accepting mediocre results and non losing seasons are just fine.
And to say we’re in it till the end and anything can happen once we’re in the playoffs,
That’s so untrue and shows just how out of touch Duece really is. No, not anything can happen that translates to a playoff win.
What happens is your team backs in to the playoffs and totally gets outclassed everytime.
When the organization needed to make a splash hire at OC and bring in an innovative guy they opted for a coach who is known for heavy run offenses. That’s fine but you ain’t winning anything in this day and age of the NFL.
This team is going nowhere fast and continue to fall farther behind in the AFC and the owner is blind to it all.

I’m relatively sure that the Deuce is a very nice person, good family man, solid citizen but as an owner he’s relatively naive for as long as he’s been in this thing.
By profession a lawyer and someone who did not grow up in this business like his dad, I think he always means well but he simply doesn’t have the football acumen that Dan had.
I mean the statement that he made about Tomlin can still communicated with the 20 year olds on the team. First off there are no 20 year olds on this team and second was Art watching when Johnson watched Warren fumble in Cincinnati or when Pickens refused to block for a Warren in Indy.
Art saying that he’s tired of losing playoff games. Well where the hell have you been Art? It’s been seven seasons since the last win.
And to state that he still believes in Tomlin is just another indictment of accepting mediocre results and non losing seasons are just fine.
And to say we’re in it till the end and anything can happen once we’re in the playoffs,
That’s so untrue and shows just how out of touch Duece really is. No, not anything can happen that translates to a playoff win.
What happens is your team backs in to the playoffs and totally gets outclassed everytime.
When the organization needed to make a splash hire at OC and bring in an innovative guy they opted for a coach who is known for heavy run offenses. That’s fine but you ain’t winning anything in this day and age of the NFL.
This team is going nowhere fast and continue to fall farther behind in the AFC and the owner is blind to it all

KP will be QB1. He would have to play poorly and Rudolph (assuming they sign him) would have to light things up in the preseason for KP1 to lose his starting job. I don't see them doing it any other way. They won't move Rudolph ahead of KP unless the difference is very significant and even then, KP may still be QB1 to start the regular season.

As far as Tomlin, he ain't going anywhere. They all want the playoff wins but nothing has changed so I really don't know what Rooney is thinking. Sure, our players, other players, pundits, and other teams around the league sing Tomlin's praises. We, the Steelers fans, seem to be the only ones that would have fired him by now. My guess is Rooney gives him a 3-year extension.

I would have fired him a good 8-9 years ago. Absolutely no progression toward anything.

I think we should start playing people based on there head size

That has worked in the past—————— might as well try it again.!

Salute the nation

We'll see how serious they are about winning playoff games very quickly. If Arthur Smith and a couple of assistants of assistants are the only staff changes, then this team has no aspirations of advancing.

We'll see how serious they are about winning playoff games very quickly. If Arthur Smith and a couple of assistants of assistants are the only staff changes, then this team has no aspirations of advancing.
What are you looking for as far as significance? I already read Sullivan's return is contingent on finding another gig. If he doesn't he is back.

I think regardless that D will remain handcuffed with questionable scheme. The O-line will need to be coach upgraded.

Not sure Smith will be the upgrade fans desire. He still called plays in Atlanta even if he was HC overmatched. He definitely showed he will need better QB play. Not sure we will get that if they trot the same cast out.

Seems like a lot of questions with very little obvious answers. For me basically the norm....

They haven't been serious in a long time. They rest on what they accomplished in the past.

Women read between lines.

I laugh when I think...it's 1975, a bar in somewhere in Pittsburgh. Noll just had a press conference and all the steel workers are sitting in there with their beers reading between lines.

There is an “OVER-VALUE” of being able to communicate with the younger players. ALL teams must do this and our
”whisperer” isn’t doing anything more than other teams. If he is, then we need to quit drafting head-cases instead of football players.

Salute the nation

Women read between lines.

I laugh when I think...it's 1975, a bar in somewhere in Pittsburgh. Noll just had a press conference and all the steel workers are sitting in there with their beers reading between lines.
Ahh yes!
The good ole days..
When men were men..and sheep were nervous.,

Art forcing Pickett back into QB1 frontrunner is going to tear the locker room apart. The Best skill guys on the team have already endorsed Mason. Gonna get ugly