• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

AV had name of a fallen Army hero on his helmet

I'm wondering if this is a little self-promotion on purpose. If so, I hope he picks up his play because the spot light gets pretty hot.

Yes, because the always quiet and deflects any attention away from him Al Villanueva is self-promoting here.

Step back for a moment and re-think this one.

My thoughts exactly. I respect, as a vet his decision, but why not stick w/ the decision from the team??? And Big Al---you've been quite suspect over the past 4-5 games...

Because it should never be a team decision or a majority decision. It should be up to each player what they choose to support or stand up for. Especially in this day and age where players have foundations, are paid representatives for certain products, causes...etc. Finally, if the Steelers want to show support for or pick a martyr, maybe they can find one that is legitimate instead of another criminal that chose suicide by cop based on his own decisions and actions.

The Steelers sign against racism was excellent. Too bad a two Steelers spoiled it by raising the old black power fists from the 1960's. Eric Ebron #85 was one of them.

My thoughts exactly. I respect, as a vet his decision, but why not stick w/ the decision from the team??? And Big Al---you've been quite suspect over the past 4-5 games...

Was there a list of names to choose from? I took a look at who the cops shot to death. It's not an African American issue only. More White people were killed at the hand of the police, and you never hear about Hispanic fatalites either. I'll stand with anyone against police brutality of they are following the rules of being arrested. If they have a threat to an officer trying to arrest them, are resisting arrest, and had a violent history then it's a different story.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

My thoughts exactly. I respect, as a vet his decision, but why not stick w/ the decision from the team?

It may just be me, but it doesn't sound like you respect his decision, because you had to get that little dig in there about his play which has nothing to do with the topic. And maybe he didn't stick with the decision from the team because 1) Tomlin allowed him to and 2) It was a questionable decision in the first place.

He's the one showing good decision-making by honoring a black fallen soldier who's up for the Congressional Medal of Honor who needs the national attention.

Pouncy is right you know........................................ If the protesters would investigate victims further they would be "better off informed" . TaKE THE LADY WHO IS HOLDING vILLI AND THE steelers TO A higher standard due to his name on his helmet.............

Salute the nation

Here, Here!!! These guys need "Woke" to who they are putting on their helmets. This kids had gun shot residue on his hand - you don't get that unless YOU fire a weapon!!! The little **** tried shooting someone else, yet they chose to put his name and represent him - that's on them for ******* up! I'm tired of people propping criminals up on a pedestal as if they were a quality human instead of the piece of **** they actually were! It needs to end! Oh - and **** the kids mother - she needs"woke" to the piece of **** her kids was! Wonder how she would see things if he actually would have killed someone! (probably be the same way - little baby boy can do no wrong!) AV was the only guy in the locker room who got it right. From now on, this team needs to ask AV what they should do!!! Then they will do what's right!

It may just be me, but it doesn't sound like you respect his decision, because you had to get that little dig in there about his play which has nothing to do with the topic. And maybe he didn't stick with the decision from the team because 1) Tomlin allowed him to and 2) It was a questionable decision in the first place.

He's the one showing good decision-making by honoring a black fallen soldier who's up for the Congressional Medal of Honor who needs the national attention.
Perhaps he did his homework on AR and found less than desirable results. So he went looking for a vet that deserves to have their name on the back of his helmet. Really bad to sheep a decision based on peer pressure. I commend Al for his stance and will be sporting his jersey come Sunday.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Once again, Al framed as the “bad guy” by the media when in reality he is doing the right thing and it isn’t making a story out of it either. The media creates the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then maybe Tomlin needs to be taking some heat on this, Al went to Tomlin before doing this, Tomlin gave him the go ahead.

Al is part of the team, and more importantly a man. If he decided to depart from the TEAM decision, at least man up and tell your teammates (your brothers) yourself.

I have no problem with what he did, but with how he went about it. As a fellow veteran I have zero respect for how he handled it. Big Al would have his Tripp’s’ *** if one of them ever did that. That’s not the military way.

As far as the Tomlin thing. I don’t know what to believe here. It’s hard to believe Tomlin gave him permission and then didn’t either tell him to talk to his teammates, or talk to the team himself. My suspicion is that Tomlin took the heat publicly, like he has done before and handled the issue internally behind closed doors. I guarantee there are some crucial conversations taking place this week.

Little things like this can destroy a team’s chemistry. Veteran or not, Big Al needs to be a better teammate.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
Al is part of the team, and more importantly a man. If he decided to depart from the TEAM decision, at least man up and tell your teammates (your brothers) yourself.

I have no problem with his desire to honor his fallen brother, but as a fellow veteran I have zero respect for how he handled it. Big Al would have his Tripp’s’ *** if one of them ever did that. That’s not the military way.

That's a great point, especially now that you bring up the military chain-of-command aspect. When Ben expressed his surprise about Al's decision and knowing how close they seem to be, I'll assume Al didn't tell a single teammate. I don't care if he, in his mind, didn't want to cause waves, he should've let them know.

And hopefully this is a broad lesson in how we all make mistakes, genuinely attempt to re-think our ideas and positions & listen to one another without prejudice.

Because it should never be a team decision or a majority decision. It should be up to each player what they choose to support or stand up for. Especially in this day and age where players have foundations, are paid representatives for certain products, causes...etc. Finally, if the Steelers want to show support for or pick a martyr, maybe they can find one that is legitimate instead of another criminal that chose suicide by cop based on his own decisions and actions.

No argument from me. I know that many don't want to see the protest - no matter what form it may be in. So, with that, if the team makes a decision - the team should stick with the decision because it shows unity...

I apologize for the dig. Poor decision on my part...

You're correct, Coach Tomlin should take some of the blame.

I have no problem with what he did, but with how he went about it. As a fellow veteran I have zero respect for how he handled it. Big Al would have his Tripp’s’ *** if one of them ever did that. That’s not the military way.

As far as the Tomlin thing. I don’t know what to believe here. It’s hard to believe Tomlin gave him permission and then didn’t either tell him to talk to his teammates, or talk to the team himself. My suspicion is that Tomlin took the heat publicly, like he has done before and handled the issue internally behind closed doors. I guarantee there are some crucial conversations taking place this week.

Little things like this can destroy a team’s chemistry. Veteran or not, Big Al needs to be a better teammate.

Well said. I wish I could have presented my thoughts as collectively as you did.

According to Aditi Kinkbwala, half the players didn’t even know they were getting this kids name on their helmets. There was no vote, there was nothing. Tomlin and Rooney look like clowns.. this is getting to be a trend.

Now it's coming out that the team didn't vote on all having the same name on their helmet, and they didn't all vote on highlighting Rose specifically.

“Hey guys, if you look at the back of your helmets.. we put a kid’s name on it who was shot by a police officer while helping an elderly woman with her groceries”.. take our word for it.

Sounds to me like AL is the only player that actually gave any real thoughts as to who to put on the back of his helmet. I don't know how anyone can say anything negative about him here.

a fired up defense of Al and calling out players for supporting people they haven't fully checked out

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gcFtQjmmIJI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now it's coming out that the team didn't vote on all having the same name on their helmet, and they didn't all vote on highlighting Rose specifically.

Yeah, looks like there was some poor reporting of what actually happened. It appeared from initial reports that there was a team meeting and the team decided they would honor Rosen. I assume both Big Al and Pouncey were part of that meeting.

Based on recent reports, it’s unclear whether there was actually a discussion. Did someone make this decision arbitrarily for everyone? Was the decision that they would make a stand against racism, but each member could decide how they did that? I don’t know.

Without all the facts, I withdraw my criticism of Big Al. Unfortunately in the rush to get news stories reported first, news outlets report partial information. We respond (predictably) and then the outlets fill in the details as additional information becomes available. Pisses me off. That’s not journalism.

Without all the facts, I withdraw my criticism of Big Al. Unfortunately in the rush to get news stories reported first, news outlets report partial information. We respond (predictably) and then the outlets fill in the details as additional information becomes available. Pisses me off. That’s not journalism.

Same here. And this is what happens when you interject politics into sports with young athletes.

Yeah, looks like there was some poor reporting of what actually happened. It appeared from initial reports that there was a team meeting and the team decided they would honor Rosen. I assume both Big Al and Pouncey were part of that meeting.

Based on recent reports, it’s unclear whether there was actually a discussion. Did someone make this decision arbitrarily for everyone? Was the decision that they would make a stand against racism, but each member could decide how they did that? I don’t know.

Remember, AV stepped outside of the tunnel, placed his hand over heart, and stood in the open while the National anthem played while his team mates stood in the tunnel as part of a team agreement. Perhaps we need to look at this differently...the team is taking votes but maybe some things are bigger to someone than what a team concludes. I'm a veteran too, and if a team decided not to stand for the National Anthem....well, **** them. If the team decided/voted on wearing the name of a gangbanger who shot up a local neighborhood instead of one of our black brothers/sisters who risked their life for others well, ...**** them again. It's called a moral compass.