• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Baker Mayfield

I think most non-Steelers fans would view us as a franchise where QBs come to die.

Not really, though I have little confidence in Tomlin's ability to develop one.

The Steelers have not failed with drafting 1st round QBs as much as teams like the Bears, Browns, and Jets have.

Malone and Pickett are it, and over the past 50 years,the Steelers had long stretches of success with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. What did those other teams have at QB during that time?

Not that the Steelers have the richest history at the QB position, especially compared to the likes of the 49ers, Packers or Cowboys, but it hasn't been among the worst by any stretch.

Baker was actually a good QB. We took Fields because he was cheap at that's our battle cry.

Mayfield had his moments, but he was never consistently good with the Browns, and was widely considered a bust when he left.

As I said, he was better than Fields was with the Bears, but that's a pretty low bar.

I think most non-Steelers fans would view us as a franchise where QBs come to die.

Baker was actually a good QB. We took Fields because he was cheap at that's our battle cry. Big difference.

I think you are a Browns fan deflecting or just painting with a wide brush projecting just a small sample size. I don’t think Tomlin will be around long enough for that first statement to actually take traction and be the case. Three years of Matt O’Canada contributes but also erases, if you get my drift………….

Salute the nation

The Steelers have not failed with drafting 1st round QBs as much as teams like the Bears, Browns, and Jets have.

Malone and Pickett are it, and over the past 50 years,the Steelers had long stretches of success with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. What did those other teams have at QB during that time?
What did the Steelers have in those 2 decades between Bradshaw and Ben? Teams with a knack for identifying talent or coaching up QBs wouldn't take that long.
Mayfield had his moments, but he was never consistently good with the Browns, and was widely considered a bust when he left.

As I said, he was better than Fields was with the Bears, but that's a pretty low bar.
Mayfield was also better with the Browns than Fields has been with the Steelers in his first 2 games.

The only thing that worries me with Fields right now is the fumbled exchanges when he's under center or even in the gun. There have been 3 or 4 fumbles and at least one in both games so far. He and Frazier should be working extra on that every day. If they aren't doing it on their own, the coaches should be demanding it from them.

Fields had issues receiving snaps from Herbig in the preseason as well, so whatever the problem is, it's probably mostly on him.

Aside from the botched snaps, he has generally protected the ball better than he did with the Bears, but even if he continues to do that, I tend to think he will remain too limited in the the types of passes he can consistently make, despite his arm talent.

He has to show a lot more to take the job from a healthy Russel Wilson, IMO.

I think you are a Browns fan deflecting or just painting with a wide brush projecting just a small sample size. I don’t think Tomlin will be around long enough for that first statement to actually take traction and be the case. Three years of Matt O’Canada contributes but also erases, if you get my drift………….

Salute the nation
Tomlin hired Matt Canada and only got rid of him because of the public backlash that started occurring in the locker room, if you get my drift.

Can you name a QB, or any offensive player for that matter, that Tomlin has coached up?

I watched him play in college. Cleveland destroys most QB's and has done so since re-entering the league. It's fun watching him down here in Tampa. My wife is a huge Baker fan.
He's sorted out a bit, he's not worthless at this point.

What did the Steelers have in those 2 decades between Bradshaw and Ben? Teams with a knack for identifying talent or coaching up QBs wouldn't take that long.
Stewart and O'Donnell had their moments, and were arguably better than most of what the Browns, Jets and Bears have put out there in recent decades.

Again, I don't think the Steelers are among the best in terms of QB history, but are a good notch or two above the worst.

Not many teams can claim having two multiple Superbowl winning QBs. Not even the Packers or 49ers can claim that.

Mayfield was also better with the Browns than Fields has been with the Steelers in his first 2 games.

No argument from me.

Stewart and O'Donnell had their moments, and were arguably better than most of what the Browns, Jets and Bears have put out there in recent decades.
Ok. So if your argument is that the Steelers, historically, don't suck balls nearly as bad as the Browns, Jets, and Bears, I'll give you that. Keeping in mind, that many would agree that these 3 are historically some of the worst team in the entire league.

With that said, it still doesn't negate the fact that the Steelers don't have an eye for identifying or coaching up QBs. Anymore, I doubt that many quality players (regardless of the position) would truly want to come and play for us given the dysfunctional offensive ineptness and lack of coaching talent. Plus, we pay on the cheap as a whole.

In fairness, I think a lot of the QBs the Browns have taken in the first round were not going to develop regardless of who drafted them. Manziel, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon were desperation/reach picks.

Given how he is playing with the Bucs, the Browns definitely seemed to **** the bed in their handling of Mayfield, and I thought Tim Couch was better than he was given credit for, as he could have been something in a different situation I believe.

Couch had some good games against the Steelers, but generally took a beating with the Browns and injuries prevented him from catching on anywhere else.

Mayfield's performance with the Bucs seems to give Steelers fans hope for Fields with the Steelers, due to the Bears generally being as much a QB graveyard as the Browns have been, but despite Mayfield's struggles with the Browns, he showed a lot more with them than Fields did with the Bears.

Honestly, Fields has looked better than I expected him to through two games, but the consistency and point production as yet to be there, as he averaged a lofty 2 yards per pass during the second half in Denver.
I just think what they are doing with Fields sets them up for a massively expensive possible mistake. Let's play it out. Russ gets a go doesn't do good enough. Or never gets a chance. They win enough games. Fields wins enough games and say they make wild card. They sign him and before anyone says team friendly...... there will be no team friendly deal. In actuality they are playing Kennyball 2.0 with a better Kenny. Until Fields is cut loose and allowed to win the games it's just the same **** served up a different way. For God's sake. Let him play for real. The cost might be the annual wildcard *** kick. But who here really cares. The cost of signing him in that scenario could he castostphic. At least another two years wasted.

Tomlin hired Matt Canada and only got rid of him because of the public backlash that started occurring in the locker room, if you get my drift.

Can you name a QB, or any offensive player for that matter, that Tomlin has coached up?

Believe me, I am in no way defending Coach Tomlin as he should have been replaced 10+ years ago.

Your statement of Steelers fans saying/thinking Pittsburgh is a place where QBs go to die, just simply isn’t true. There may be a couple here and there, but the VAST majority don’t say that. I haven’t heard that concern once, in my group of fandom.

As for developing, George Pickens is a very good example, a kid going nowhere due to mentality. Today he is considered one of the best, the best WR on our team. Many think he is capable of being one of the best in the league.

Troy Fauntanu / Zach Frazier are definitely new players heading up.all good trends. Broderick Jones quite possibly has a “coaching” up with-in him as well.

Draft picking in the middle of the pack (A Tomlin traits of mediocracy) also gives you less chance of talent. Talent is directly equated / perception to coaching up.

Again, this isn’t about coaching up, but is about your statement of Pittsburgh being known as a place where QBs go to die.

Salute the nation

Ok. So if your argument is that, historically, the Steelers don't suck balls nearly as bad as the Browns, Jets, and Bears, I'll give you that. Keeping in mind, that many would agree that these 3 are historically some of the worst team in the entire league.

That's pretty much all I'm saying. History has shown that QBs drafted/developed by the Steelers can succeed in the league, whether it be Bradshaw/Roethlisberger level success or Stewart/O'Donnell level.

Contrast that with the true "QB graveyard" teams, where it seems a freezing of hell must coincide with with a freakish alignment of the planets and stars for it to happen.

With that said, it still doesn't negate the fact that the Steelers don't have an eye for identifying or coaching up QBs.

Tomlin probably doesn't, but the organization may be able to overcome him regarding the QB position at some point. Early indications are that Khan and Weidel might have their **** together.

I just think what they are doing with Fields sets them up for a massively expensive possible mistake. Let's play it out. Russ gets a go doesn't do good enough. Or never gets a chance. They win enough games. Fields wins enough games and say they make wild card. They sign him and before anyone says team friendly...... there will be no team friendly deal. In actuality they are playing Kennyball 2.0 with a better Kenny. Until Fields is cut loose and allowed to win the games it's just the same **** served up a different way. For God's sake. Let him play for real. The cost might be the annual wildcard *** kick. But who here really cares. The cost of signing him in that scenario could he castostphic. At least another two years wasted.

I just think they have little confidence in Fields ability in a more open offense which is why we will see Wilson once he is ready to go and the offense then open up more. At least that's my hope.

Until then, I think they a buying time, relying on their defense, while limiting Fields potential to turn the ball over.

I think our leadership still believed that Kenny Pickett was our future at that time, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Once he realized that this wasn't the organization to play for, we traded him in for another 13 point winner that can't read a defense. And somewhere in the middle of all that, we let Mason Rudolph (the best QB that we've had since Ben) walk out the door too.

But on the plus side, we were smart enough to sign Tomlin to another 3 year extension.
I don’t believe anything changes until Art the piece of 💩 steps aside and lets someone without an agenda and CPA mentality to head the organization.

Your statement of Steelers fans saying/thinking Pittsburgh is a place where QBs go to die, just simply isn’t true. There may be a couple here and there, but the VAST majority don’t say that. I haven’t heard that concern once, in my group of fandom.
Is it fair to assume that you live in or around Pittsburgh and have for most, if not all, of your life?

I ask because I have lived in another state away from Pittsburgh for the past 2 decades, and where I live is sort of a melting pot for people from states all over the country. The general consensus has been (and has for years) that it's unfortunate that our ownership has handcuffed us to the dead weight that it has for the past 17 years. People recognize that we used to be a great organization before our ownership prioritized politics over capability and talent.

Last edited:
Is it fair to assume that you live in or around Pittsburgh and have for most, if not all, of your life?

I ask because I have lived in another state away from Pittsburgh for the past 2 decades, and where I live is sort of a melting pot for people from states all over the country. The general consensus has been (and has for years) that it's unfortunate that our ownership has handcuffed us to the dead weight that it has for the past 17 years. People recognize that we used to be a great organization before our ownership prioritized politics over capability and talent.
🤡

I just think they have little confidence in Fields ability in a more open offense which is why we will see Wilson once he is ready to go and the offense then open up more. At least that's my hope.

Until then, I think they a buying time, relying on their defense, while limiting Fields potential to turn the ball over.
I could live with that scenario. But then Fields is a backup this year. No point in even considering signing him next year. And with the way the media and Tomlin are talking........I'm not so sure.

Waiting for the circling clown cars at the parade to pass by so we can get to something meaningful like the marching band.

Hopefully they at least throw some candy

I should have quantified that I'm referring to our modern day franchise and leadership, not the one from 50 years ago. Back then, we had good coaches and ownership.

This isn't our daddy's Steelers

What’s your definition of “modern day”? Cowher (93 - 06) to Tomlin (07 - present)? Before 93, which is predates Free Agency, the game was a totally different animal. As for QBs under Noll, you must have not been around before Bradshaw figured it out, because he, Gilliam and Hanratty played musical chairs at the position for 3 or 4 years before Chuck’s team (with Brad) broke out for more than a half of the decade. In either case Chaz went to four championship games and won a four. Cowher and Tomlin both have been to two (winning one each). Broad statements are about QBs during two eras are comical.

I think our leadership still believed that Kenny Pickett was our future at that time, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Once he realized that this wasn't the organization to play for, we traded him in for another 13 point winner that can't read a defense. And somewhere in the middle of all that, we let Mason Rudolph (the best QB that we've had since Ben) walk out the door too.

But on the plus side, we were smart enough to sign Tomlin to another 3 year extension.
K
Leadership PLANNED Pickett to be the next long term replacement for Ben. Pickett CHOSE to exit the team, requested a trade when he was told a competition would take place with another vet. That wasn’t the team’s decision, it was Kenny’s. He could have stayed and learned a lot behind a veteran.It smacks of confidence issues and an ego from Pickett.

Personally, I think not keeping Rudolph was a mistake) he had all the tools to push Picketii

Last edited:
He'd be playing.

Fields will operate tomlins clock control offense. If he wins again, 3-0, how can you bench the " hot hand"?

He'd be playing.

Fields will operate tomlins clock control offense. If he wins again, 3-0, how can you bench the " hot hand"?

Simple. It’s about knowing the difference between getting lucky and winning. If we take off the rose tinted glasses, I don’t think any “hot hand” has been seen here. It’s been more about sucking balls less than the opposing team.

What did the Steelers have in those 2 decades between Bradshaw and Ben?
Well, I know it isn't popular, but for a couple of years Kordell Stewart was absolutely lethal as the quarterback for the Steelers. In fact, in 1997 he led the league in passing and rushing touchdowns and set a record at that time. In fact, he may still be the only QB with a 90+yard passing and rushing TD.

Now we all know how that played out. However, we can't discount the fact that Stewart was never as bad as we want to remember him, nor as good as we hoped he'd be. He certainly cannot be considered a bust.