• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Baker Mayfield

Well, I know it isn't popular, but for a couple of years Kordell Stewart was absolutely lethal as the quarterback for the Steelers. In fact, in 1997 he led the league in passing and rushing touchdowns and set a record at that time. In fact, he may still be the only QB with a 90+yard passing and rushing TD.

Now we all know how that played out. However, we can't discount the fact that Stewart was never as bad as we want to remember him, nor as good as we hoped he'd be. He certainly cannot be considered a bust.
Move away from the city of Pittsburgh or one of it's suburbs and you will hear no one refer to Kordell as lethal, I assure you.

In fact, most will ask "who"?

He'd be playing.

Fields will operate tomlins clock control offense. If he wins again, 3-0, how can you bench the " hot hand"?
Answer is Mike won’t
Russ looks at least 2-3 more weeks from being fully healthy. Give the old timer some time
to properly heal…no rush if Fields is winning and improving.

In a few weeks maybe OldeRuss is considered but as long as Fields record as starter is good it’s hard to bounce him from the pole position for a guy that’s been stuck in the pit for almost a year now.

Taking awhile to get those locked lug nuts off them bald old tires.

If Tomlin pulled a 3-0, 4-0, 3-1, 4-1 starting QB for an old guy that goes out there and lays an egg that’s an omelette all over the greatest coach in football history’s face. Not even a western omelette, a damn veggie omelette. He doesn’t want that type of heat.

He'd be playing.

Fields will operate tomlins clock control offense. If he wins again, 3-0, how can you bench the " hot hand"?
Unfortunately, there is no "hot hand". It's simply been a matter of getting lucky and not sucking balls as badly as the inferior opponent. The moment we start marching Fields out there to face good teams, that's when the annihilations begin.

What did the Steelers have in those 2 decades between Bradshaw and Ben? Teams with a knack for identifying talent or coaching up QBs wouldn't take that long.

Mayfield was also better with the Browns than Fields has been with the Steelers in his first 2 games.

Please, Cowher for the majority of his coaching career DE-emphasized QB being the feature of the offense. Run the ball, control the clock, win with a stifling defense and getting turnovers was his mantra. He was a Schottenheimer pupil. Do you even remember “Marty Ball? He was very successful with that MO. In fact most teams without a franchise QB were and are successful following that method. Stewart and Chan Gailey allowed Cowher more offensive opportunities. When Gailey left, it wasn’t until Mike Mularkey and Whisenhunt with Stewart, Bettis, and Hines when pick your poison play calling really balanced Cowher’s game plan. But still, he followed run to set up the pass philosophy, even when Maddox took over with the Tommy Gun spread offense, once he achieved a lead he would sit on the ball and chew up clock.

Hell, when Ben replaced Maddox, Cowher practically told Whiz to put a leash on him because his backyard ball tendencies which went against his philosophy of ball control. Fortunately, he slowly allowed more slack on play calls for Ben and that SB run as a last seed really showed Ben as a franchise type QB. Still, Cowher followed his mantra till his retirement, play great defense, get the lead and use up the clock.

Now when Goodell came into the league and adjusted the rules, again, for offenses to score more points the game changed from the 90s - early 2000s. Tomlin had a franchise QB, he didn’t need to change anything until Arians (and Ben’s) offense started to get Ben killed. They brought Haley in who did what Whiz did and helped return the prolific balanced offense to complement the awesome defense. Cowher had 3 QBs, Stewart, Maddox and Ben to put him over the hump into Conference champion games. All those other starting QBs…….Bubby, NOD, Tomzack, were game managers. Which life after Ben will probably be what we see what Fields can do. With a decent OC who knows, but until another Ben falls in our lap, the game manager, which is what 75% of all starting QBs are in the league. So, Tomlin will do what Cowher did…..Marty Ball, with a dash of explosiveness on offense.

Unfortunately, there is no "hot hand". It's simply been a matter of getting lucky and not sucking balls as badly as the inferior opponent. The moment we start marching Fields out there to face good teams, that's when the annihilations begin.
"We"

they were supposed to lose to the Falcons they won. Broncos was supposed to be a close game. it wasn't. this is despite ****** refs calling ****** plays.

no more luck than the average games.

I think most non-Steelers fans would view us as a franchise where QBs come to die.

Baker was actually a good QB. We took Fields because he was cheap and that's our battle cry. Big difference.
That would be Cleveland.
Look no further than their starting current QB Watson. A superstar in Houston.
Once he stepped foot in Cleveland he has turned into garbage.
Johnny Manziel, a projected high first rounder and Heisman winner died in Cleveland.
You mentioned Baker. He died in Cleveland, but apparently has been ressurected.

You never saw The Jersey?

IMG-0082.jpg

Last edited:
That would be Cleveland.
Look no further than their starting current QB Watson. A superstar in Houston.
Once he stepped foot in Cleveland he has turned into garbage.
Johnny Manziel, a projected high first rounder and Heisman winner died in Cleveland.
You mentioned Baker. He died in Cleveland, but apparently has been ressurected.

You never saw The Jersey?

IMG-0082.jpg
Oh that’s right. I keep forgetting that Trubisky, Pickett, and Rudolph were happy here.

Now I can remember them saying that our coaching staff builds them up like no other.

Oh that’s right. I keep forgetting that Trubisky, Pickett, and Rudolph were happy here.

Now I can remember them saying that our coaching staff builds them up like no other.
You keep forgetting you made a stupid comment about Pitt being noted as a place where QB go to die. What does being happy have to do with that?

Well, I know it isn't popular, but for a couple of years Kordell Stewart was absolutely lethal as the quarterback for the Steelers. In fact, in 1997 he led the league in passing and rushing touchdowns and set a record at that time. In fact, he may still be the only QB with a 90+yard passing and rushing TD.

Now we all know how that played out. However, we can't discount the fact that Stewart was never as bad as we want to remember him, nor as good as we hoped he'd be. He certainly cannot be considered a bust.

Stewart was the 1st QB in the history of the Steeler Franchise to finish a season with over 60% completion percentage.

ONLT QB with an 80+ yard Rush TD / pass TD / PUNT.

Salute the nation

Is it fair to assume that you live in or around Pittsburgh and have for most, if not all, of your life?

I ask because I have lived in another state away from Pittsburgh for the past 2 decades, and where I live is sort of a melting pot for people from states all over the country. The general consensus has been (and has for years) that it's unfortunate that our ownership has handcuffed us to the dead weight that it has for the past 17 years. People recognize that we used to be a great organization before our ownership prioritized politics over capability and talent.

Why not say what you really mean? You don’t like Tomlin, and you want him gone as he was a Rooney Rule hire. You are new to this board (suspiciously, you dropped in threads running like you’ve been to this board before), take a number on dropping Tomlin, there is a line ahead of you. But I think you knew that anyway and are just trolling for attention. Fiji is probably right, just another CLE fan exorcising their demons.

Why not say what you really mean? You don’t like Tomlin, and you want him gone as he was a Rooney Rule hire. You are new to this board (suspiciously, you dropped in threads running like you’ve been to this board before), take a number on dropping Tomlin, there is a line ahead of you. But I think you knew that anyway and are just trolling for attention. Fiji is probably right, just another CLE fan exorcising their demons.

Yep, amazing how little the Gregg Lloyd troll has been here since the new comer. Weak, same approach, can’t answer factual, all opinion as if the truth,……. Sound familiar……?

Great insight Ike, your football acumen is superb.!!!

Salute the nation

Stewart was the 1st QB in the history of the Steeler Franchise to finish a season with over 60% completion percentage.

ONLT QB with an 80+ yard Rush TD / pass TD / PUNT.

Salute the nation
Slash had a couple years where he was helping to evolve the position. If not for some refs going absolutely bonkers on PI vs the Donkeys he’s likely a SB winner taboot.

Definitely had his moments

Is it fair to assume that you live in or around Pittsburgh and have for most, if not all, of your life?

I ask because I have lived in another state away from Pittsburgh for the past 2 decades, and where I live is sort of a melting pot for people from states all over the country. The general consensus has been (and has for years) that it's unfortunate that our ownership has handcuffed us to the dead weight that it has for the past 17 years. People recognize that we used to be a great organization before our ownership prioritized politics over capability and talent.

I take it you didn’t carry over your IGNOR list.

Salute the nation

Unpopular opinion: Cleveland destroyed Johnny Manziel who could have been great. Baker Mayfield had Zero Point Zero chance at the Mistake on the Lake.

Yep, amazing how little the Gregg Lloyd troll has been here since the new comer. Weak, same approach, can’t answer factual, all opinion as if the truth,……. Sound familiar……?

Great insight Ike, your football acumen is superb.!!!

Salute the nation
Always hard to tell if it is just cooch or bob making new usernames or another idiot just feeling like trolling but they all have their same predictable agendas.

Not really, though I have little confidence in Tomlin's ability to develop one.

The Steelers have not failed with drafting 1st round QBs as much as teams like the Bears, Browns, and Jets have.

Malone and Pickett are it, and over the past 50 years,the Steelers had long stretches of success with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. What did those other teams have at QB during that time?

Not that the Steelers have the richest history at the QB position, especially compared to the likes of the 49ers, Packers or Cowboys, but it hasn't been among the worst by any stretch.

Mayfield had his moments, but he was never consistently good with the Browns, and was widely considered a bust when he left.

As I said, he was better than Fields was with the Bears, but that's a pretty low bar.
First off you got to give Bradshaw and Roethlisberger their due. Then O'Donnell wasn't bad, Stewart was pretty overrated. Pickett was hot garbage. Pgh was not the worst QB'd group, nor were they at the top. You can't place all that much confidence in a Tomlin-led QB group; he's clueless.

Typical browns finally get a a tuff gritty qb that most importantly wanted be in Cleveland, a qb who thumped the Steelers in the playoffs, and they **** all over him humiliated him and cut him lol sooooo browns… and they did it so they could sign a serial woman assaulter to the richest most lopsided qb contract in memory! Love the browns!!

Maybe the three are actually one? The name fits. “Coach Bob Lloyd” could be synonymous with them.

Tomlin hired Matt Canada and only got rid of him because of the public backlash that started occurring in the locker room, if you get my drift.

Can you name a QB, or any offensive player for that matter, that Tomlin has coached up?
Under coach Tomlin

3-3 Duck Hodges
8-4-1 Mason Rudolph
14-10 Kenny Pickett
3-3 Charlie Batch
2-1 Dennis Dixon
3-2 Landry Jones
2-1 Mike Vick

Mitchell Trubisky at 2-5 and Leftwich at 0-1 was his the only QBs he coached with a losing record. You don't have to coach up a QB when you had Ben for 15 years, but he showed he could win without Ben. I will say it looks like they're coaching Fileds up pretty well with his current 3-0 record.

Tomlin is 40-30 with QBs not named Ben Roethlisberger, and I'll still say 2019 with Rudolph and Hodges was the best year he had as a coach to get to playoff contention after starting 0-2 and losing Ben for the season.