• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Baker Mayfield

Under coach Tomlin

3-3 Duck Hodges
8-4-1 Mason Rudolph
14-10 Kenny Pickett
3-3 Charlie Batch
2-1 Dennis Dixon
3-2 Landry Jones
2-1 Mike Vick

Mitchell Trubisky at 2-5 and Leftwich at 0-1 was his the only QBs he coached with a losing record. You don't have to coach up a QB when you had Ben for 15 years, but he showed he could win without Ben. I will say it looks like they're coaching Fileds up pretty well with his current 3-0 record.

Tomlin is 40-30 with QBs not named Ben Roethlisberger, and I'll still say 2019 with Rudolph and Hodges was the best year he had as a coach to get to playoff contention after starting 0-2 and losing Ben for the season.
I'm not sure a QB's record equates to a QB being coached up. Over the past two years, the QB's records were propped up by pretty good play by the defense.

I'm not sure a QB's record equates to a QB being coached up. Over the past two years, the QB's records were propped up by pretty good play by the defense.

Let me say this... as a rookie, Landry Jones was the worse nfl QB Id ever seen in his first preseason... look up what beat wroters said about him... by year four he was a legit backup...

But thats just it... Tomlin gets QBs into a backup role.. aka dont lose the game, dont press unless you have to..

He hasnt ever gotten a QB to be a legit starter type...

Where is the Gangsta at? Fields played very well and is 3-0. Russ is not getting the job back. I think Arthur Moore is coaching him up. He is certainly better than any of the Bears coaches.

Let me say this... as a rookie, Landry Jones was the worse nfl QB Id ever seen in his first preseason... look up what beat wroters said about him... by year four he was a legit backup...

But thats just it... Tomlin gets QBs into a backup role.. aka dont lose the game, dont press unless you have to..

He hasnt ever gotten a QB to be a legit starter type...
I'll give him that. He knows how to get some bad QBs to play conservative football and score 13 points while leaning on a dominant defense to win games. You can't do that with your first-round QB and this style is also why the Steelers are irrelevant when it comes to playoff time and have their longest streak without a playoff win in the modern era.

and at the same time, there hasn't been a great or even good Steeler QB that didn't have a great D.

I'd argue Roethlsiberger played with some pretty bad defenses during the heart of the Killer B's era as well as his final season
So how many years of good Steeler QBs have not been accompanied by good Ds? Can we give Ben 4 and TB a couple.....both with no notable PO successes during those years

So how many years of good Steeler QBs have not been accompanied by good Ds? Can we give Ben 4 and TB a couple.....both with no notable PO successes during those years
There's also a Grand Canyon-sized gap with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger than the backup-caliber QBs Stryker brought up. Between Duck, Trubisky, and Pickett, that is some of the worst offensive football I've ever watched in person and I'm not just talking about just the Steelers.

There's also a Grand Canyon-sized gap with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger than the backup-caliber QBs Stryker brought up. Between Duck, Trubisky, and Pickett, that is some of the worst offensive football I've ever watched in person and I'm not just talking about just the Steelers.
The defining characteristic of the Steelers is great D, most of the time. Add a HOF QB to that great D and you get SBs.
There is no doubt that the Canada era sucked.
But the D has benefitted all QBs including the scrubs

The defining characteristic of the Steelers is great D, most of the time. Add a HOF QB to that great D and you get SBs.
There is no doubt that the Canada era sucked.
But the D has benefitted all QBs including the scrubs
Obviously, but guys like Roethlisberger could put the team on his back and lead the team to a win on a bad day by the defense. Jones, Duck, Kenny, Mitch all needed a perfect performance by the defense to win because they were not going to put up points.

A Coach would keep his job with a 40-30 record. This is Tomlin with career backups. It's not just D, it's playing a system to try and help your QB be successful. Run game, make quick reads, and don't turn the ball over. It's winning football.

Really the only QBs Tomlin could develop are Ben, Pickett, and now Fields. Fields looks miles better than he ever looked in Chicago. As backups, Dobbs, and Rudolph developed nicely as backups that do very well in their spot starts

Philly was always good at developing QBs, so we'll see if they can do anything with KP.

I'd argue Roethlsiberger played with some pretty bad defenses during the heart of the Killer B's era as well as his final season

Agree, but his OL (in his last season) was worse than the "D", but hear your point, loud and clear.

Salute the nation

Like the way Smith and Arth are methodically handling Fields. Each game Smith's game planning is giving Fields more to do, and taking advantage of Fields' strengths and mobility. The whole team will be ready for the tough half of the season. Fields didn't have that coaching in Chicago. Nice to see him starting to show and do what he is capable of.

Obviously, but guys like Roethlisberger could put the team on his back and lead the team to a win on a bad day by the defense. Jones, Duck, Kenny, Mitch all needed a perfect performance by the defense to win because they were not going to put up points.

I understand what you're trying to say, but let's not glaze over Ben's career and forget games:

42-45 L

Like the way Smith and Arth are methodically handling Fields. Each game Smith's game planning is giving Fields more to do, and taking advantage of Fields' strengths and mobility. The whole team will be ready for the tough half of the season. Fields didn't have that coaching in Chicago. Nice to see him starting to show and do what he is capable of.

Its almost as if they realize that the answer is neither throwing a young guy out there to run a full offense like a seasoned vet nor holding him back perpetually in fear of mistakes

Put on the training wheels, raise the wheels slowly, take them off when they dont need them anymore

Its almost as if they realize that the answer is neither throwing a young guy out there to run a full offense like a seasoned vet nor holding him back perpetually in fear of mistakes

Put on the training wheels, raise the wheels slowly, take them off when they dont need them anymore
Except realize he's a player in his 4th The Bears coaching staff may have been bad, he ain't no rookie. Don't forget that.

Except realize he's a player in his 4th The Bears coaching staff may have been bad, he ain't no rookie. Don't forget that.
But he is only 25... at 24 years old, drew brees was in his 3rd nfl season.. only played 11 games because he got benched, threw for 2100 yards, had a 57% completion percentage, 11 tds and 15 picks... his passer rating was 67...
he turned 25 the season the chargers drafted Rivers... they gave up on Brees... he went on to post a 104 passer rating that year and make the pro bowl...

He is still a young QB...

That sounds like coaching

So you’re saying there’s a chance!!!