• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bill Cowher sheds light on the Rod Woodson “painful decision” in 1997

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
At the end of the 1996 NFL season, the contract for Rod Woodson was expiring and it was going to force the Pittsburgh Steelers to make a very big, and as it turned out, very controversial decision.

Woodson was arguably behind only Joe Greene on the pantheon of all-time Steelers greats as the cornerback was the cornerstone of the transition from the “Steel Curtain” to “Blitzburgh,” which gave the Steelers defense its own identity which lives on through this day. He was one of only five active players to be named to the NFL 75th Anniversary Team and he overcame an ACL tear in Week 1 of the 1995 NFL season to play in Super Bowl XXX.

Woodson was coming off another Pro Bowl season in 1996, though it was considered a “down” year by his standards. He was still hampered by the injury to his right knee and underwent an arthroscopic procedure to clean a bone chip and scar tissue that were aftereffects of his ACL injury. Despite not being 100%, he still had 6 interceptions, including returning both an interception and a fumble back for TDs – output that has not been matched by a Steelers cornerback since. But the back-to-back seasons of injuries to the knee concerned the front office. In the end, the negotiations turned sour, and the Steelers signed former Pro Bowl cornerback Donnell Woolford and used their 1997 first-round pick to draft cornerback in Chad Scott.

Bill Cowher once said [Woodson] was without a doubt the best football player I coached in my fifteen years and gave some insight on the decision in his book – Heart and Steel:

He’d earned a substantial contract, but when our doctors examined him, they decided he probably wouldn’t be able to play more than one or two seasons. Based on that advice, his age (32), and the cost to sign him, we didn’t offer him a contract. It was a painful decision. Rod was one of the best and toughest players, at any position, I’d ever seen. I knew from coaching him that he’d find a way to defy the odds; I’d seen him both study himself and will himself to greatness. He signed with the 49ers.

Clearly the Steelers doctors were wrong, and the organization made a mistake – one that Dan Rooney openly admitted to regretting. However, there were even rumors that Tom Donahoe made disparaging remarks about Woodson behind closed doors and perhaps didn’t negotiate in good faith.

For all the concern about Woodson’s knee, it held up fine enough for him to rack up another 33 career interceptions, returning 6 for TDs and played in 2 more Super Bowls. Ironically, Woolford had a career ending knee injury in 1997 and Scott missed the entire 1998 season with a torn ACL that likely prevented him from living up to his full potential.

How would things have turned out if Woodson stayed and retired a Steeler? Leave a comment below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The story I kept hearing was that they wanted Rod to move to S which he refused. Then when he did move to S he played his best ball post injury.

I thought his instincts didn't change but some of that speed left the building.

Rod staying may have changed the dynamics that's for sure. He certainly would have made the defense better playing at an all pro level. Steelers simply screwed it up and mis- judged his injury. This and the missed Dan Marino debacle go down as two of the worst decisions in Steelers history but, and there is always a but. You have to put things in perspective and by far The Steelers have made a hell of a lot of great moves over the years so you have to take that into consideration, and all teams screw it up from time to time. Its not a perfect science deciding who stays and who goes, what player to draft or what player to pass on. It just is what it is. I'm glad Rod was able to extend his career and be successful because I love the game and appreciate extraordinary talent and believe me, he had it. Now he has a well earned bust in the HOF.

Personally I believe that he would have made a difference in making the Super Bowl in 1997 and 2001 and winning at least one of them. He was just such a playmaker and his leadership & drive were second to none.

Woodson played CB for the 49ers and he sucked and was let go. He then moved to safety and was great for the remainder of his career. He was humbled in SF so he had no choice but to take the position change something I don't think he would have been so agreeable to if he had remained a Steelers.

Rod staying may have changed the dynamics that's for sure. He certainly would have made the defense better playing at an all pro level. Steelers simply screwed it up and mis- judged his injury. This and the missed Dan Marino debacle go down as two of the worst decisions in Steelers history but, and there is always a but.

Yeah, you are 100% correct that every team makes personnel mistakes. No doubt. Drafting Jamaine Stephens, Jarvis Jones with 1st round picks are mistakes.

But letting Rod Woodson go and failing to draft an available Dan Marino are not just mistakes; they are franchise-changing ****-ups along the line of trading Babe Ruth.

Hindsight is 20/20 and is only an option AFTER things have played out. Hanging the Steelers out over what happened LATER is BS.

Hindsight is 20/20 and is only an option AFTER things have played out. Hanging the Steelers out over what happened LATER is BS.

I guess we should shut down the message board then, or limit it solely to comments about future events.

By the way, failing to draft Marino and re-sign Woodson were not popular at the time, so the "hindsight" accusation is not really valid.

Great article Bill! I would like to add that while Chin and Mr. Rooney were angst at the decision, and Slash is right, Rod was asked if he could move to Safety, his attitude was horrible. He suffered that torn ACL, came back the same year, and was lauded by the coaches, but Rod did the one thing the Rooney’s don’t do. Negotiate contracts through the media. Something that was an anathema to Dan. Which is what Rod was doing at the 96 season pro-bowl. Ranting on live national TV during a sideline reporting session when asked about his status, he stated “I’m not happy. I’m not happy with my contract situation. I’m not happy where we are at ALL”. Mind you it was later reported that Donahoe purported pissed off Rod by commenting, “we don’t hand out big contracts to reclamation projects”, so that door was closed by Rod via player ego. But it was true, that Tim Lewis (who was the DB coach then) had discussed with Rod he could have a longer career moving to Safety and to keep an open mind about it during contract negotiations. Of course, those egos got in the way during the have/have nots teams of early free agency. Heinz Field and more revenue was just a twinkle in Dan and Art2’s eyes back then.

Woodson played CB for the 49ers and he sucked and was let go. He then moved to safety and was great for the remainder of his career. He was humbled in SF so he had no choice but to take the position change something I don't think he would have been so agreeable to if he had remained a Steelers.
Millions of sperm cells and this is the one that made it?

The 1997 49ers went all-in to make a Super Bowl run and didn't hesitate to try to win with veterans, as Woodson was brought in along with Kevin Greene to join Chris Doleman and along with the final year of DPOY Dana Stubblefield it worked to the tune of a 13-3 record, #1 seed in the NFC and the #1 ranked defense in the league. They were so good that Jerry Rice fought to come back from a week one ACL tear so they could seize the opportunity and played in the regular season, but in a game where they destroyed the Denver Broncos he reinjured in catching a TD pass.

Woodson was let go for cap reasons alongside a host of other veterans and because and because they used their first round pick on a CB.

He signed with Baltimore for a reasonable deal and he still played the first season there at CB before moving to FS.

Woodson was class all the way and if Tom Donahoe wasn't such a ******* prick as when he had the chance to rectify the 1997 gaffe when Woodson once again became available, his smug reply that "We're not the Salvation Army" did more to hurt the team that was already going to miss both of the CBs he hand picked to replace Rod Woodson to begin with.

I believe it was at the end of superbowl XL Rod was doing commentary sitting in the endzone with a few other guys. One of the players came by and stuck a superbowl champions hat on his head.

He left it on. You could tell he was really happy they finally got that One For The Thumb, which was a really big deal after so many years getting close.

Definitely one of my favorite Steelers of all time and I will always view him as a Steeler and nothing else.

The 1997 49ers went all-in to make a Super Bowl run and didn't hesitate to try to win with veterans, as Woodson was brought in along with Kevin Greene to join Chris Doleman and along with the final year of DPOY Dana Stubblefield it worked to the tune of a 13-3 record, #1 seed in the NFC and the #1 ranked defense in the league. They were so good that Jerry Rice fought to come back from a week one ACL tear so they could seize the opportunity and played in the regular season, but in a game where they destroyed the Denver Broncos he reinjured in catching a TD pass.

Woodson was let go for cap reasons alongside a host of other veterans and because and because they used their first round pick on a CB.

He signed with Baltimore for a reasonable deal and he still played the first season there at CB before moving to FS.

Woodson was class all the way and if Tom Donahoe wasn't such a ******* prick as when he had the chance to rectify the 1997 gaffe when Woodson once again became available, his smug reply that "We're not the Salvation Army" did more to hurt the team that was already going to miss both of the CBs he hand picked to replace Rod Woodson to begin with.
^^^^this^^^^

Yes, this was the Donahoe response to Rod. Tip of the hat FSF for pointing it out! Donahoe definitely had a corn cob up his *** at that time. That’s when he and Cowher‘s feud started gestating. Still, had Rod listened to his position coach maybe he never would have left in the first place. One of my favorite players, could lay the wood, and bait the QB like no other. Back in 89 I saw him run a KO for a TD, and I thought he was the fastest player I’ve ever seen on the field. Deion Sanders couldn’t hold Rod’s jock at anytime during his career.

I believe it was at the end of superbowl XL Rod was doing commentary sitting in the endzone with a few other guys. One of the players came by and stuck a superbowl champions hat on his head.

He left it on. You could tell he was really happy they finally got that One For The Thumb, which was a really big deal after so many years getting close.

Definitely one of my favorite Steelers of all time and I will always view him as a Steeler and nothing else.
He was my very first Steelers jersey. I’d rock a Woodson jersey in elementary school lol.

I only knew Greg Lloyd at the time cause he was cool. I complained when my parents bought my jersey

You don't know what you're talking about. Woodson was awful as a 49er , was beaten often for TDs and did not sniff the Pro Bowl. He was a CC only and the defense was NOT #1 it was #3 and they immediately cut Woodson who had only 3 INTs and a paltry 43 tackles. He never played CB again after his awful play in SF .Carry on fan boy.

Last edited:
You don't know what you're talking about. Woodson was awful as a 49er , was beaten often for TDs and did not sniff the Pro Bowl. He was a SAFETY only and the defense was NOT #1 it was #3 and they immediately cut Woodson who had only 3 INTs and a paltry 43 tackles. Carry on fan boy.
I’m glad you’re on here, because we need people like you to have a source for to make an *** out of.

Defensive ranking is determined by yards. Hence they were #1, but it probably goes over your head that finishing 3rd in scoring D only reinforces the point.

“Only 3 INTs” on a defense that had 25 on the year—Woodson had the same amount as opposite CB Darnell Walker & SS Tim McDonald. Merton Hanks—the starter at FS for the entire decade led the team in INTs with 6 AND made the Pro Bowl—so no he wasn’t a “SAFETY”

The deliberately misleading “paltry 43 tackles” which was only 8 fewer than the the 2nd most on the team is only slightly less bullshit than the “beaten often for TDs & didn’t sniff the Pro Bowl” because you don’t have the first ******* clue how many TDs were on him nor were you privy to how many votes he received.

Congratulations for passing Kindergarten, on a curve, just keep in mind next time you take an IQ test, pee in the cup. You’re sure to get a better score.

You mean the 8 TD passes he gave up on a team that gave up a whopping 23 TD passes ? He was benched and cut immediately after the season and never played CB again. He sucked as a 49er fan boy. You are too stupid to know **** .

You mean the 8 TD passes he gave up on a team that gave up a whopping 23 TD passes ? He was benched and cut immediately after the season and never played CB again. He sucked as a 49er fan boy. You are too stupid to know **** .
You might want to quit early on this one JP. FSF owns you on this argument. Rod in 14 games was tied for 3rd with two other players with 3 INTs. Considering SF defense was 3rd in the league in points allowed, of the 23 pass TDs 12 came from 3 games ATL, KC and SEA, I’d say that’s pretty impressive allowing 11 pass TDs on the remaining 13 games. Not sure where you are getting Rod was responsable for 8 TDs, but who were responsible for the other 15?

How can you be benched after the season, when you sign a one year contract? Also, he played CB for a year in BAL before moving to Safety. So he actually played one more year at corner. Finally, are you really a fan boy when a player is a HOF DB with 71 career INTs?

I think Rod Woodson was still a Steeler when he said he believed he was BORN to play free safety. Donahoe was always a dick.
Along with Greg Lloyd and Ben, Rod was probably my favorite Steeler that I watched week in and week out as an adult. I wore out a couple 26 jerseys.
When Lloyd and Woodson were on, especially when they had Kirkland and Green, and Lake was in his prime (as a SS), the Steelers were damn near unbeatable. Imagine what those teams could have done if they had a QB on the roster.

Weather playing for PITTSBURGH or the "other" guys does not make him a bad player. I always wanted him back here in Pittsburgh..

I went to a Baltimore @ PITTSBURGH game (can't remeber the year). After game I got some Autographs and then we went to Rod's restaurant (Woodson's it think it was called). Got seated and I asked the waitress if Rod was there as I told her where I was from being a VERY long didtance away. She said he wasn't there yet but was pretty sure he was coming very soon as he always stopped in after a game.

we got done eating and she said she talked to their manager and he had talked to ROD but wouldn't be in for anoth hour or two, She was very sorry and I gave here my Woodson Jersy to get it signed (she was very sure). The manager guy came out and gave me the $7.00 tour and gave me a WHOLE bunch of "rod" stuff (a lot). I left my Jersey and address as they were to mail it to me (That never did happen but I'd do it again in a heartbeat as the amount of parifinillia I got way way out valued my jersey). I didn't even have to pay for my meal.

Topped of a great day.

Salute the nation

That was a time when they got the best out of a player and then let him walk. They weren't remortgaging **** contracts and bringing in outside FAs unless it was cost effective. That is why comparing Cowhers results to Tomlin's is a ****** joke.

You might want to quit early on this one JP. FSF owns you on this argument. Rod in 14 games was tied for 3rd with two other players with 3 INTs. Considering SF defense was 3rd in the league in points allowed, of the 23 pass TDs 12 came from 3 games ATL, KC and SEA, I’d say that’s pretty impressive allowing 11 pass TDs on the remaining 13 games. Not sure where you are getting Rod was responsable for 8 TDs, but who were responsible for the other 15?

How can you be benched after the season, when you sign a one year contract? Also, he played CB for a year in BAL before moving to Safety. So he actually played one more year at corner. Finally, are you really a fan boy when a player is a HOF DB with 71 career INTs?
You would be wrong. 23 TD passes was a ton of passes allowed back in 1997. Woodson was benched and booed for his poor play that year and was cut immediately after the season .

Woodson was a great player and he was awful in SF. Both are true. He was awful as a CB in Baltimore before becoming the best safety in the league after that.

How old are you JP? Did you ever watch Rod play?

I lived in Baltimore from 88-02 and moved back in 16. Rod is my favorite Steeler ever, and he was a really good LCB in 98. Tied for the 4th most INTs in the league with 6. The high was 9 that season. He had 88 tackles and was #2 for tackles at CB that year. (Our Dewayne Washington had 93).

He started to play safety because Billick was the coach in 99 and they utilized his defensive IQ all over the secondary and moved him around in nickel and dime sets. by 00 he was the full time FS and was part of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.