• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Expected to Promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to hire from within once again and name Teryl Austin the team’s new Defensive Coordinator according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Keith Butler retired as season’s end leaving the position open. The New York Giants requested permission to interview Austin this weekend which is possibly what led to the Steelers acting quickly.

Steelers expected to finalize deal with Teryl Austin today or Monday to make him their new defensive coordinator, replacing Keith Butler, per source.

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) February 6, 2022

Austin’s previous position was listed as senior defensive assistant and secondary coach. Mike Tomlin has called the defensive plays for multiple years in a row and we shouldn’t expect that to change, but Austin will have more of a role in the defensive game plan and play designs.

Do you agree with the in-house promotion? Let us know in the comments below!
#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Good luck Teryl. Hopefully, your input elevates the D and Mike T. lets you do your job.

Reactions: MTC
This is the least surprising news of the offseason. I think Austin has added value since he arrived in Pittsburgh. We'll see how he translates to DC, but hopefully they'll find a quality option to replace his position on staff.

Stinks of another mediocre decision.

1. Retain Canada that flat out sucked.
2. Promote Austin who flat out sucked as a DC with Cincy.

I can hardly wait for decision number 3.

Last edited:

Austin joins Don Martindale, Sean Desai, and Jim Schwartz among the known candidates vying for New York's DC role under Brian Daboll. Austin, reportedly the "in-house favorite" for Pittsburgh's DC vacancy after Keith Butler retired, initially joined the Steelers in 2019, gaining experience under Butler in that time. The Steelers actually cannot deny permission for Austin to interview since his transition would be a promotion/play-calling role.

Stinks of another mediocre decision.

1. Retain Canada that flat out sucked.
2. Promote Austin who flat out sucked as a DC with Cleveland.

I can hardly wait for decision number 3.

I knew this was coming, so I just accepted it. When the G-Men asked to talk to him, I knew it was a done deal here.

If the D or O fails, the fall men are in place. They are the least exciting coordinators in the NFL, but I'm willing to see what they do in 2022. These guys are Coach T's buddies, so all eyes will be watching.

I knew this was coming, so I just accepted it. When the G-Men asked to talk to him, I knew it was a done deal here.

If the D or O fails, the fall men are in place. They are the least exciting coordinators in the NFL, but I'm willing to see what they do in 2022. These guys are Coach T's buddies, so all eyes will be watching.
We will not win a playoff game with what is in place right now. Permanent marker it down on the calendar and feel free to throw it back at me if need be. I might need to start drinking heavily again. Because it is going to be a painful long *** season. I fully expect a lot more mind numbing decisions in the near future.

We will not win a playoff game with what is in place right now. Permanent marker it down on the calendar and feel free to throw it back at me if need be. I might need to start drinking heavily again. Because it is going to be a painful long *** season. I fully expect a lot more mind numbing decisions in the near future.
Something also tells me, they are going to go all in for a mobile, running QB that fits the Canada offense and for the love of God, it better work, because it could set us back for many years.

SO, the Steelers promote an internal, minority candidate with no proven track record and this is considered "news"?

Last edited:

We won't field a competitive team while Tomlin is at the helm.

Honestly, **** Art Rooney for what he is allowing to continue.

We won't field a competitive team while Tomlin is at the helm.

Honestly, **** Art Rooney for what he is allowing to continue.
You don't get to diss Rooney troll. Zip it.

Steelers won't let this fish get away. Austin was in the running for the Giants gig. An outside hire just two years ago, glad he's getting an opportunity with us. Looking forward to what he brings to the table as a DC.

Congratulations, Coach Austin, welcome to the big leagues! It's your time to shine.

Steelers won't let this fish get away. Austin was in the running for the Giants gig. An outside hire just two years ago, glad he's getting an opportunity with us. Looking forward to what he brings to the table as a DC.

Congratulations, Coach Austin, welcome to the big leagues! It's your time to shine.

You mean shine like he did in Cincy and Detroit? Yeah his third trip to the big leagues and he has struck out twice. Hey batter batter swing.

A competent, experienced Caucasian should cry racism if this ends up being true:

Following missing the 2017 NFL playoffs[11] the Lions fired head coach Jim Caldwell.[12] Following Caldwell's dismissal, Austin interviewed with the Lions for the vacant head coaching position.[13]

On January 11, 2018, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. [14] On November 12, 2018, Teryl Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively.

On January 8, 2019 it was announced that Austin had been hired as the Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary for the Pittsburgh Steelers

Well who knows if this guy will have improved over the
years from his previous failures in Detroit and Cincy. They fired him after 8 games in his first season in Cincinnati.
I mean if Cool Shades continues calling the defense and Austin is just a figurehead, what’s the point of his promotion?
I’m afraid my friends we will continue to get the same old crap every year. Nothing will change as long as we don’t have a losing season.

Reactions: MTC
Austin has been with the Steelers for three years and should have no problem keeping the defense at its elite level.

That is indeed the plan. Let's get 'em, Coach Austin!

1644174426877.png

Lebeau and Butler were big on pressure with outside linebackers. Anyone know what Austin’s style will mean for Watt? Was he a blitz/pressure guy in Detroit and Cincinnati?

I have a feeling he’s just a face
Sometimes I wonder if even old man Rooney thinks to himself, "While Tomlin is here, why break the bank on effective coordinators? It won't make a difference". And that's how we keep ending up with crap.

Sometimes I wonder if even old man Rooney thinks to himself, "While Tomlin is here, why break the bank on effective coordinators? It won't make a difference. And that's how we keep ending up with crap.""
Who knows. As long as its good PR

Who knows. As long as its good PR

Right. Dementia Joe and Kacackle Horris must be impressed. All we need is a surge in gun violence and increased looting and the great city of Pittsburgh might get a shout out from them during their next staged press conferences.

Last edited:
Austin has been with the Steelers since 2019 as the senior defense assistant and secondary coach. His resume with Pittsburgh includes the growth of Terrell Edmunds, two All-Pro selections for Minkah Fitzpatrick, seventh-round pick Tre Norwood and more.

Austin was the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions (2014-2017) and Cincinnati Bengals (2018) prior to Pittsburgh.

"I couldn’t even tell you the amount of stuff Coach [Austin] has taught me this year," safety Tre Norwood said on Austin. "Just generally, coming in, him teaching my the scheme, off the bat. Just him and his understanding of just knowing the game of football. He’s a great teacher and I think that’s an intricately part of him being a great coach. He does a very well job of that in every aspect, whether it’s team standpoint, scheme standpoint. That’s something that stands out to me a lot.

"I learned from my first time in the building all the way through the entire season. Every week, each and every day, in the meeting room, in the film, I was always learning from Coach TA. Just cause he’s a smart coach, knows the game of football, has a very high level of understanding."