• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Expected to Promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

Orrrr maybe DB coach is his ceiling. Not like the Steelers track record of coaching hires have been impressive of late. Maybe he is the losing hand... Always a wait and see but the resume doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.
Austin already has Tomlin's #1 qualification, which is that he's already in the building.

you have to build through the Draft for your OL then you need to have the best OL Coach for that
I know this is a DC thread, but the more I think about it, the more I think they go with the veteran route in UFA. They already have potentially three guys with 3 or fewer years experience potentially starting next season.

I know this is a DC thread, but the more I think about it, the more I think they go with the veteran route in UFA. They already have potentially three guys with 3 or fewer years experience potentially starting next season.
yes I think they will add one ol fa

A competent, experienced Caucasian should cry racism if this ends up being true:

Following missing the 2017 NFL playoffs[11] the Lions fired head coach Jim Caldwell.[12] Following Caldwell's dismissal, Austin interviewed with the Lions for the vacant head coaching position.[13]

On January 11, 2018, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. [14] On November 12, 2018, Teryl Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively.

On January 8, 2019 it was announced that Austin had been hired as the Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary for the Pittsburgh Steelers
Gouda cheese...

I'm reading online that the Giants interviewed Austin for their DC job and we interviewed their DC for our DC job.
Keep in mind that the Giants are owned by the Mara family who are closely related to the Rooneys.
Anybody else smell a setup?

Ring-ring. "New York Giants, John Mara speaking."
"Hey Cuz, this is Deuce in Pittsburgh."
"Deuce! How ya been?"
"Good, good. Say, we need a new defensive coordinator. Teryl Austin is here and he'll come cheap but we need to make it look like we did a real search. You're kind of in the same boat so how about if we interview your guy and you interview our guy?
"Sure thing, Cuz. See you in the Hamptons for Easter?"
"Be there or be square. Thanks tons."

Stinks of another mediocre decision.

1. Retain Canada that flat out sucked.
2. Promote Austin who flat out sucked as a DC with Cincy.

I can hardly wait for decision number 3.

More Tomlin ****. Dude just wants yes men and below the standard coordinators so it can be entirely his show. **** show.

More Tomlin ****. Dude just wants yes men and below the standard coordinators so it can be entirely his show. **** show.
I'm good with it. Gives MT and his ball washers nowhere to hide. Hell, make him GM too.

Status quo. Stay in the organization. Don't think outside the box. Sign someone that MT can ride herd over like he did with Butler. Yes, all these in- house hires have done the team well...Starrett, Klemm, Sphincter, Canada

Status quo. Stay in the organization. Don't think outside the box. Sign someone that MT can ride herd over like he did with Butler. Yes, all these in- house hires have done the team well...Starrett, Klemm, Sphincter, Canada
Yep. Hard to imagine that a guy who sucks balls at all other aspects of his job would also do a ****** job of hiring quality candidates. Anyone else not going to be surprised when we go 3-14 this season?

same **** different day.. welcome to the factory of sadness..

same **** different day.. welcome to the factory of sadness..
Well we made a clown coach the DC so it might be inching in that direction.

Bungal fans are cheering… lol but it don’t matter with tomlin calling the defense… next 5 years going to be like last 5… IF we’re fukn lucky!!

Bungal fans are cheering… lol but it don’t matter with tomlin calling the defense… next 5 years going to be like last 5… IF we’re fukn lucky!!
Next few years we'll be in a battle with the Browns to stay out of the AFC North cellar.

This isn't necessarily about Austin, but this is why you put a good coaching staff together. Watch the video on the second slide:

what 2nd slide?

A competent, experienced Caucasian should cry racism if this ends up being true:

Following missing the 2017 NFL playoffs[11] the Lions fired head coach Jim Caldwell.[12] Following Caldwell's dismissal, Austin interviewed with the Lions for the vacant head coaching position.[13]

On January 11, 2018, it was announced that Austin had been hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals. [14] On November 12, 2018, Teryl Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively.

On January 8, 2019 it was announced that Austin had been hired as the Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary for the Pittsburgh Steelers
turtle

Sometimes I wonder if even old man Rooney thinks to himself, "While Tomlin is here, why break the bank on effective coordinators? It won't make a difference". And that's how we keep ending up with crap.
Wet dream