• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Expected to Promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

"On November 12, 2018, Teryl Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively".
Stutter

Yep. Hard to imagine that a guy who sucks balls at all other aspects of his job would also do a ****** job of hiring quality candidates. Anyone else not going to be surprised when we go 3-14 this season?
Jackass

I'm willing to see what he can do before I completely condemn the hire. Maybe Cinci and Detroit really sucked and he was dealt a losing hand. I'll give him that benefit.
He's not going to do ****. This is an internal hire so Tomlin can continue to **** up the defense and always have somebody else to blame. ******* ridiculous. And some of you guys want to waste money and picks on a ******* QB? Why? Why waste the ******* money when the team is going to be flaming dog **** anyway.

I'm willing to see what he can do before I completely condemn the hire. Maybe Cinci and Detroit really sucked and he was dealt a losing hand. I'll give him that benefit.
I was going to comment on this, but Wig beat me to it, responding more eloquently than I could possibly have.

He's not going to do ****. This is an internal hire so Tomlin can continue to **** up the defense and always have somebody else to blame. ******* ridiculous. And some of you guys want to waste money and picks on a ******* QB? Why? Why waste the ******* money when the team is going to be flaming dog **** anyway.
i know this and you know this, but I was trying to be optimistic.

I was going to comment on this, but Wig beat me to it, responding more eloquently than I could possibly have.
Lol. My English degree hard at work.

BTW, I do not want Jimmy G! I don't want his salary or draft picks we would give up. We are not a QB away from competing with Buffalo, KC or the Bengals. It would be a waste and a way to maintain mediocrity.

We all can wait and see but the tract record does not sit well and also look how new and improved this offense was under Canada, who all said give a chance. Reality has set in we are not a very good football team and have glaring needed areas. So this coming year for all out there that do not remember the Bubby days, Malone and Stout except then we had some other quality players that we are lacking now.

We all can wait and see but the tract record does not sit well and also look how new and improved this offense was under Canada, who all said give a chance. Reality has set in we are not a very good football team and have glaring needed areas. So this coming year for all out there that do not remember the Bubby days, Malone and Stout except then we had some other quality players that we are lacking now.
Bubby > Mason

We are a joke. Mike has set this organization back 10 years. we are about to become what the bungles have been for 20 years.
I never thought I’d see a day like this

We’ve already not won a playoff game in a 5 year span for the first time in 50 years.
Let that sink in

Oh never mind. Now that we promote austin all Is well. What a joke

The Steelers' fan base simply does not deserve Mike Tomlin. You all run your mouths and drag him through mud, yet have little to no idea how he's regarded throughout the league. It's like you can't see two inches past your own noses. Oh well, it's always been this way, so it doesn't come as a surprise to see the non-stop Tomlin bashing around here.

I, for one, am immensely proud, happy and grateful to have Mike Tomlin lead this organization. Hopefully, it remains this way for many years to come. As you all cry in your beers in gloom & sorrow. 🤷‍♂️

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...a-mentor-and-a-great-example-for-all-leaders/

So trying to think positive here. Austin has an incredible year, gets a head coaching job in 2023. we get 2 3rd round draft picks correct?

**** Mike Tomlin. I could give a **** how well he is supposedly thought of around the league. 3 playoff wins in 11 years and 2 we're against backup QBs he is not well thought of come playoff time .

You all run your mouths and drag him through mud, yet have little to no idea how he's regarded throughout the league.

How the league or anyone else for that matter "regards" Tomlin is inconsequential when it comes down to the goal of every sport, every team. WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

If only we could find an objective metric to fully assess Tomlin's ability to hold on to a HC job in the NFL.....

3 playoff wins in 11 years and 2 we're against backup QBs

Oh, there's one.

How the league or anyone else for that matter "regards" Tomlin is inconsequential when it comes down to the goal of every sport, every team. WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. If only we could find an objective metric to fully assess Tomlin's ability to hold on to a HC job in the NFL..... Oh, there's one.

The Bill Cowher-led Steelers went 7-9 in 1998, 6-10 in 1999, 9-7 in 2000, 6-10 in 2003, 8-8 in 2006. No Championships, no playoffs.

The 11-5 season in 1992? One and done in playoffs, no Championship.

The 12-4 season in 1994? Knocked out in divisional round, no Championship.

The 11-5 season in 1997? Knocked out in divisional round, no Championship.

The 13-3 season in 2001? Knocked out in divisional round, no Championship.

The 15-1 season in 2004? Knocked out in divisional round, no Championship.

Bill Cowher, total AFC Championships 2, Total SB victories 1.
Mike Tomlin, total AFC Championships 2, Total SB victories 1.

Cowher 15 years, .623 winning percentage.
Tomlin 15 years, .643 winning percentage.

How the **** is Cowher an all-time great, a legend and a well-deserved Hall of Famer, while Tomlin is a rat *******, good-for-nothing, loser coach the fan base wants to run out of town with pitchforks and torches?

What a strange, strange world we live in.

For those writing off the Steelers in 2022, don't you think it would be smarter to wait until after free agency and the draft before
evaluating the teams chances next year. I think there are several moves that could be made to the defense, that could make it into a top 5
unit, which would allow you to win games with any QB.

Orrrr maybe DB coach is his ceiling. Not like the Steelers track record of coaching hires have been impressive of late. Maybe he is the losing hand... Always a wait and see but the resume doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.
Check out our TE coach. Turned a Rookie into a premiere NFL TE talent and made Gentry a quality #2 when he was nothing but hot garbage beforehand.

Check out our TE coach. Turned a Rookie into a premiere NFL TE talent and made Gentry a quality #2 when he was nothing but hot garbage beforehand.

Yeah, Cope, a whole lot of positives are simply ignored or thrown to the wayside by a segment of the fan base who openly despise Coach Tomlin. Of course, the negatives are amplified 1,000x. Gee, I wonder who hired Mike Munchak in 2014, for instance? Was it Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher? Of course Tomlin gets zero credit for that, but his assistants who come up short, are rubbed under our noses, 24/7.

If it's a promotion from within, that's the problem. If it's someone brought in from the outside, then that's the problem (see Canada). We forget Randy Fichtner was promoted to replace Todd Haley mainly to appease Big Ben. Mike Sullivan (quarterbacks), Eddie Faulkner (running backs) and Ike Hilliard (wide recievers) were all outside hires. As was Alfredo Roberts, the TE coach you mention.

Seems like the only staffers who've been around forever are John Mitchell, Garrett Giemont, Danny Smith and Jerry Olsavky. Other than that, Tomlin's been bringing in *outside* hires year in and year out.

Yet all you hear from the yahoos on the board is that Tomlin only promotes from within, like that's anywhere close to the truth.

At the end of the day, this blurb sums it up fair and square:

One thing about Tomlin’s hiring practices is certain: by and large, they have been successful. A head coach is only as good as the men around him. Tomlin’s career winning percentage of .650 is 8th in NFL history among coaches who have won at least 100 games. This suggests the men he’s hired, no matter the process, have been pretty darn good.

Last edited:
I never said that applied to every coach. As far as Gentry he was raw I didn't look at him as hot garbage. Position switches takes time sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

But as long as we are on the hot garbage subject. WR position declined, Oline was hot garbage, ILbers struggled. Dline struggled. Punter struggled so that pertains to STs. OC was hot garbage. There is enough there to mention. DC struggled which we found out who called the plays. They aren't playing participation football. When you have long stretches of no playoff wins you will end up under the microscope. Some fans what Tomlin attaboys? Win a playoff game. Most fans aren't even asking for a SB. Just be competitive stop being blown out when the chips are down. That is embarrassing to see that so often. Being ***** slapped by the bungles twice and chiefs twice?

And some of you wonder why Tomlin gets dissed?

Anyone who follows me knows Colbert gets his hair share of blame too.

Even Rooney has came under fire recently. And there is some justification for that too.

**** Mike Tomlin. I could give a **** how well he is supposedly thought of around the league. 3 playoff wins in 11 years and 2 we're against backup QBs he is not well thought of come playoff time .

You kidding me........................ any play off team that's playing him LOVES him !!!!

Salute the nation

I never said that applied to every coach. As far as Gentry he was raw I didn't look at him as hot garbage. Position switches takes time sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

But as long as we are on the hot garbage subject. WR position declined, Oline was hot garbage, ILbers struggled. Dline struggled. Punter struggled so that pertains to STs. OC was hot garbage. There is enough there to mention. DC struggled which we found out who called the plays. They aren't playing participation football. When you have long stretches of no playoff wins you will end up under the microscope. Some fans what Tomlin attaboys? Win a playoff game. Most fans aren't even asking for a SB. Just be competitive stop being blown out when the chips are down. That is embarrassing to see that so often. Being ***** slapped by the bungles twice and chiefs twice?

Even Rooney has came under fire recently. And there is some justification for that too.

Well said slash

For me it's the slippage along the way. We never seem to be getting ahead. There is always an excuse of some kind. One or two players does not a team make. We see players NOT being coached up, challenges that are head scratchers, time & time out management, go for two or even onside kicks at the way wrong time, Friends as coordinators, and the list goes on and on.

Coach Mike Tomlin seems to RE-action instead of PRO-action way to much. As fans we see this a lot and sometimes it makes me wonder what the hell is being done all day.

Salute the nation

I'll agree with your declines Slash but how did the decline happen?

WRs were fine until JuJu got hurt, then production slumped for everyone but DJ, who rightfully earned a pro bowl nod.

OLine was steadily improving for 10-12 weeks before the rookie wall and injuries shook that line up and it never recovered enough to be consistant, yet we still had the 4th leading rusher in the league, as a rookie.

ILBs regressed severely. Schobert was still #2 on the team in tackles, sad that Bush could barely get 5 tackles a game...

Dline lost Alualu in game 2 and never got Tuitt back, so 2/3 starters down for the season in week 2. I did like Wormley's production as well as Loudermilk's potential at LDE but NT was never fixed and we went through Buggs, before landing on Adams who was a PS Poach I believe. Still tough to get good production there, yet Heyward had his best season in a Steelers uniform, disruptive and productive.

Punter wasn't as bad as people think. He was a rookie, had some shanks, much like early Berry. His worst game, Koch (a former AP punter) had an even worse game. Lots of death in his family, and I thought he was the offensive MVP in the playoff game the way he was booming punts. I love his potential and I think he will be a strength moving forward.