• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Expected to Promote Teryl Austin to Defensive Coordinator

Great read on Austin, from a Tennessee Titans angle:

News is beginning to trickle out about the Titans interest in some assistant coaches as they look to replace their likely outgoing offensive coordinator and fill the vacant defensive coordinator job. Earlier today, we passed along news of Mike Vrabel reaching out to Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott and now we have a report that Tennessee is interviewing Steelers secondary coach Teryl Austin for the defensive coordinator position, per Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First, this is a reassuring sign that Vrabel recognized the defensive issues the Titans had in 2020 and is not simply burying his head in the sand with regards to the role that his coaching staff may have played in those struggles. But more importantly, Austin is a highly regarded defensive mind with playcalling experience.

Vrabel likes to hire from coaching circles that he trusts and Austin checks that box twice. He worked for Vrabel’s former-boss-turned-rival Urban Meyer as Florida’s defensive coordinator in 2010 — his first turn as a defensive playcaller — and then worked with retired Titans defensive coordinator Dean Pees as a secondary coach for the Ravens from 2011 to 2013.

Following his time in Baltimore, Austin got his first NFL coordinating gig, handling the Lions defense from 2014 to 2017 before taking on the same role with the Bengals in 2018. His results in those years are mixed. His best season was his first, when the Lions ranked top five in almost every defensive category. The worst was his most recent season in Cincinnati when the Bengals ranked bottom five in most categories.

For the past two years, Austin has been coaching defensive backs for the Steelers, helping make Pittsburgh one of the best defenses in the NFL despite having relatively pedestrian talent in the secondary outside of Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Austin was widely considered a hot head coaching candidate during his run as Lions defensive coordinator and even interviewed for the Titans head job back in 2016 when Jon Robinson first arrived in Nashville so there are lots of connections here.

As a coordinator, Austin largely ran a 4-3 front, but has been working in a predominately 3-4 system in Pittsburgh the last couple years. The Titans have been a majority 3-4 base going all the way back to Dick LeBeau’s arrival in 2015, but given the multiplicity of this defense and how often they’re in subpackages, I’m not sure that delineation really matters much anymore.

Austin is known to be outstanding at connecting with players and his specialty in the secondary has helped produce some monster seasons from guys like Fitzpatrick, Darius Slay, and Jimmy Smith over the years. You would certainly expect him to have a positive impact on Titans like Adoree’ Jackson, Kristian Fulton, Kevin Byard, and Amani Hooker if he were to come to Nashville.

I for one am shocked we hired from within. He will look good standing around while Tomlin calls the plays

Yeah, maybe you Debbie Downers are right. Teryl Austin is just a cop-out choice because he's in-house and is *Tomlin's guy.* He must suck.

Completely ignore the fact he's been on the short list for HC jobs for years. Or pretend this little nugget isn't true:

The 54-year-old Austin has been a defensive assistant on three teams that reached the Super Bowl — earning a ring with Baltimore after the 2012 season. He worked as defensive coordinator for two others, a number that could tick up to three if he is tabbed to replace Keith Butler, who stepped down from the position in Pittsburgh last month.

He nearly landed the HC job with the Chargers.

He finished as runner-up to Anthony Lynn when Lynn was hired to coach the Chargers in 2017 and Metz points out his client and longtime friend received “rave reviews of Teryl's interviews. His leadership, communication and coaching acumen were extremely impressive."

Yeah, he must suck, cause, well, cause we don't like him cause, um, well, cause we don't.

Yeah, maybe you Debbie Downers are right. Teryl Austin is just a cop-out choice because he's in-house and is *Tomlin's guy.* He must suck.

Completely ignore the fact he's been on the short list for HC jobs for years. Or pretend this little nugget isn't true:

Yeah, he must suck, cause, well, cause we don't like him cause, um, well, cause we don't.

"On November 12, 2018, Teryl Austin was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator after the Bengals defense became the first in NFL history to give up 500+ yards in 3 straight games, against the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and New Orleans Saints, respectively".

Lebeau and Butler were big on pressure with outside linebackers. Anyone know what Austin’s style will mean for Watt? Was he a blitz/pressure guy in Detroit and Cincinnati?
He was proficient in being not good enough. Hopefully he doesn't drop back Watt more because pressure defenses will always be the gold standard. Basically what they did is keep the signal caller and hire a guy that wasn't the teacher Butler was. Buckle up a rocky road ahead.

Or maybe cause he has a horrible track record as a DC. Do some research if you want to bring up “ignore the facts”

:ROFLMAO:

I for one am shocked we hired from within. He will look good standing around while Tomlin calls the plays
Will he have the same brand of glasses?
Bug eyes?
What doodles is he drawing on the play sheet?
Does he have netflix on the sideline tablets?

I'm willing to see what he can do before I completely condemn the hire. Maybe Cinci and Detroit really sucked and he was dealt a losing hand. I'll give him that benefit.

. Dementia Joe and Kacackle Horris must be impressed. All we need is a surge in gun violence and increased looting and the great city of Pittsburgh might get a shout out from them during their next staged press conferences.
Challenged

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what any of us think. We know Tomlin has been running the D since LeBeau left and apparently even the last couple of years LeBeau was here. So, to think Tomlin is going to, all of a sudden, turn over the keys to the D to Austin is naive at best. Austin may have some input but the D and the play-calling are still Tomlins until he proves otherwise.

this was going to happen not sure what took so long ,now will the steelers get smart and sign 1 of the 2 best OL Coaches out there.

For the past two years, Austin has been coaching defensive backs for the Steelers, helping make Pittsburgh one of the best defenses in the NFL despite having relatively pedestrian talent in the secondary outside of Minkah Fitzpatrick.
Say what? We were 14th in pass defense and dead last 32nd in run defense.

you have to build through the Draft for your OL then you need to have the best OL Coach for that

I just think it’s ending up with mr micromanager calling the plays again
That's why we will get Austin. No one else who is qualified will want the job.

I'm willing to see what he can do before I completely condemn the hire. Maybe Cinci and Detroit really sucked and he was dealt a losing hand. I'll give him that benefit.
Orrrr maybe DB coach is his ceiling. Not like the Steelers track record of coaching hires have been impressive of late. Maybe he is the losing hand... Always a wait and see but the resume doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.