• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Case Western University in Cleveland apologizes for housing RNC police

Stewey

Reaction score
Case Western Reserve University has apologized to students for agreeing to house police working the Republican National Convention without considering the decision’s impact on students.

The university agreed to accommodate 1,700 police officers and 200 members of the Ohio National Guard who will provide security for the convention, according to Cleveland.com.

Students began to circulate a petition with demands to ensure “student safety” during the officers’ stay, including requiring that they store their weapons off-campus.

One commenter on the petition said the measures would make the campus “a safe space for all bodies.”

“As an alum of CWRU, I relied on feeling safe in my identity on campus. I am scared and concerned for students of color, queer* and trans* students and all university community members at the mercy of an arbitrarily expanded police force without clear oversight or attachment to the community,” the commenter added.

University President Barbara Snyder emailed students saying that school officials agreed to house the officers at the city’s request, but in doing so the university “failed to give adequate consideration to the impact the decision would have on members of our community — in particular students staying in residence halls near the buildings housing the officers,” Cleveland.com reported.

Snyder apologized for another email she had sent urging students not to stereotype all police officers.

“The deadly shootings last week in Louisiana, Minnesota and Texas have dramatically intensified our national conversation involving race, law enforcement and the best paths to justice, fairness and safety for all,” she wrote, adding, “Nevertheless, given the current national context, I regret that I described such behavior as ‘profiling,’ and that I was not more careful with my language.”

According to Heat Street, “Classes will now be held off-campus next week, on-campus summer camps have been rescheduled, and students who live on campus or are staying on campus for the summer will receive help finding alternate accommodations.”

The university will also provide counseling for students who say they are traumatized by police presence on campus.

They act like they housed wanted felons. Funny old world we live in.

That is insane for college students to have a problem with trained police on campus. I bet campus rape drops significantly while they're there.

I grew up loving the snow. Couldn't wait for snow as a kid and still love it as an adult.

Now though, I really hate snowflakes.

Chalk words...police being housed on campus. WTF?

If the stupid police just yelled "Allah akhbar!!" while arresting or confronting citizens, this **** would not be an issue.

I think it would be comical if the police registered concern about their safety.

We, as an organization feel a bit uneasy, being housed in dormitories around so many unverified, well - how do we say this politely? Um. People who may support a movement that has proven dangerous and even lethal to men and women in our profession. There are many um... students and faculty here who uh... may naturally be more likely to agree with the tenets of such a movement. So if it's all the same to you. If we must be housed here, we'd sure like to be heavily armed and paired up at all times. And if you don't mind we'll sleep in shifts.

This makes me want to beat the **** out of the parents of these Snowflakes. Holy **** what kind of liberal, pansy assed, snot nosed, whining *** ******* have they raised? This is what makes me fear for our future.

Just for good measure I smacked my kids upside the head today just for being the same age as these idiots.

Good Lord when did everyone step off the reality train? I know one thing....if I ever see a resume from Case Western Reserve U it's going right in the round file. It's the little things like Women's Studies and Interpretive Lesbian Dance that stops me from reading further....don't know why.