• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chickillo, the unknown quality among our OLB pass rush.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What did you think of the film Coach??

For who, Chickillo?

I thought he showed a good bull rush and made two plays behind the line of scrimmage. That's exactly what we need.

Davis looked much better vs Carolina.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
For who, Chickillo?

I thought he showed a good bull rush and made two plays behind the line of scrimmage. That's exactly what we need.

Davis looked much better vs Carolina.

What are your thoughts of Chicky's play vs the run? I thought he couldn't hold the edge. He kind of got pushed around. What did you see?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What are your thoughts of Chicky's play vs the run? I thought he couldn't hold the edge. He kind of got pushed around. What did you see?

You'll have to tell me if his assignment was to hold the edge and on which play.

He made a lot of tackles so he did make plays vs the run. When it came to the pass rush, he pushed the OL players backward, so leverage and the ability to move someone was not the issue. I do not think holding the edge is a weakness of his, but keep in mind his primary job won't be as a base 3-4 OLB to hold the edge. We hardly play that base. It will be in the 4 man rush and I think his upside here is better than some of the veterans who played for years.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
You'll have to tell me if his assignment was to hold the edge and on which play.

He made a lot of tackles so he did make plays vs the run. When it came to the pass rush, he pushed the OL players backward, so leverage and the ability to move someone was not the issue. I do not think holding the edge is a weakness of his, but keep in mind his primary job won't be as a base 3-4 OLB to hold the edge. We hardly play that base. It will be in the 4 man rush and I think his upside here is better than some of the veterans who played for years.

So no comment or mention on the level of competition he was going against? That doesn't factor in your review of his play? Because you sure used that factor when you evaluated others play

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Nastrodomus (sp), I respect you as it's very possible. His biggest competition is a 38yr old (all be it a good 38yr old). Uncle Jarvis would make jaws drop and heart rates flutter if he produced 5 or more. Harrison is going to get 5+ so Moats is a 6+ sack man. Who will be our 10sack man this year?????? Doubt we have one, but would WELCOME one with open arms.!!! Wouldn't we all **** if chickillos turned out to be that MAN

Salute the nation

I'm fine if Chicky is productive, it can only make our team better.

And Coach, I didn't say Moats would lead the team in sacks, just the LBs. I think the DL has a chance of getting some 10 sack guys this year. If Grave Digger is disruptive, it will open up even more opportunities for the DEs and OLBs.

I'd set Moat's over under at 9, and being an optimist, I'm taking the over.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a fair post. It shows optimism of a young player and a pattern of Tomlin being tardy and an injury needing to happen before giving a younger player a shot. I do not recall a post on the latter portion of the sentence here.

Just like Cowher did during his stay here (anyone remember Tomczak over Miller?). There were complaints then, there will be complaints after...For God's sake, every HOF coach has done the same thing. Give it up already, we know your dislike Tomlin...why must you continue to justify why? You have an opinion, that's fine. We all do, just like we have rectums (hopefully). No need to tell us why you have either.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Just like Cowher did during his stay here (anyone remember Tomczak over Miller?). There were complaints then, there will be complaints after...For God's sake, every HOF coach has done the same thing. Give it up already, we know your dislike Tomlin...why must you continue to justify why? You have an opinion, that's fine. We all do, just like we have rectums (hopefully). No need to tell us why you have either.

Winning with Tomzack or Miller says a lot. Both were awful. My issue is when one veteran is way below par, and you have a talented younger player. Give the younger play a chance some.

No, I do not think Cowher kept bad veterans in the line up as long as Tomlin did. See Blake last year, he set records for sucking. Or see Cam Thomas the year before. Cowher teams did not play down or lose as often to bad teams as Tomlin did.

I could be wrong here, but I get the hunch a few posters want Chickillo to fail, just to say I was wrong, and by doing that are anti-Steeler. Me? I want to win. I'll always root for the younger player who flashes the ability to replace a bad starting player who costs more on the cap. Every single time. Because I want my team to win. Now you know why.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So no comment or mention on the level of competition he was going against? That doesn't factor in your review of his play? Because you sure used that factor when you evaluated others play

It was pointed out that Chikillo consistently beat our starting left tackle. Is that good enough for you?

Unfortunately, Chickillo hasn't had the chance to play vs. the #1s very often during the pre-season, but in this game, he clearly showed traits of dominance vs the #2's.

PS: You might want to spell check your sig.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm fine if Chicky is productive, it can only make our team better.

And Coach, I didn't say Moats would lead the team in sacks, just the LBs. I think the DL has a chance of getting some 10 sack guys this year. If Grave Digger is disruptive, it will open up even more opportunities for the DEs and OLBs.

I'd set Moat's over under at 9, and being an optimist, I'm taking the over.

Over under on sacks. I'll join with some *'s

OLB's

* Dupree - No prediction. He's on IR.
Moats - 4 sacks
Jones - 3 sacks
*Harrison, assuming he plays at least 12 games - 5.5
*Chickillo - If he plays close to the same amount of snaps as a pass rusher in comparison the other OLB's. 4 sacks

DL:

Heyward - 6.5 sacks
Tuitt - 6 sacks
Hargrave - 5 sacks
Big Dan - 0 sacks
Mathews - 1 sack

I have no seen a study on it, but we played 7 backup QB's last year. Odds are we will not be playing this many backup QB's in 2016. Staring Qb's I think are harder to sack in general, as they have a better feel for the pass rush, know how to get rid of the ball, etc...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It was pointed out that Chikillo consistently beat our starting left tackle. Is that good enough for you?

Unfortunately, Chickillo hasn't had the chance to play vs. the #1s very often during the pre-season, but in this game, he clearly showed traits of dominance vs the #2's.

PS: You might want to spell check your sig.

What's wrong with my Sig??

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Ummm. I thought you would give an overall performance grade on Chick vs the run. How about on all the run plays then. I'm thinking you didn't even watch the game and just saw some highlights that lasted around 4 min or so.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm starting to think something is wrong with him

They are laughing at you, not with you.

Your sig says: Asked to describe the ideal captain, Polamalu said, “Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

Do you see it now? If by chance your dyslexic, I apologize and won't give you a hard time. Honest.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They are laughing at you, not with you.

Your sig says: Asked to describe the ideal captain, Polamalu said, “Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

Do you see it now? If by chance your dyslexic, I apologize and won't give you a hard time. Honest.

Hahahahahaha

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ummm. I thought you would give an overall performance grade on Chick vs the run. How about on all the run plays then. I'm thinking you didn't even watch the game and just saw some highlights that lasted around 4 min or so.

Unfortunately, I did watch the game until the 4th quarter. It hit a low bar, even for preseason standards. There were a few players my eye was on. Burns was primary for me. More concerned with coverage and the pass rush than run at this point in time.

Now, if you have clips to upload here vs the run, I'll watch them and reply. Overall, Chickillo had a good game, wouldn't you say?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha

Okay, please do keep it. Facts sail over your head like an obscure Dennis Miller reference It often takes a 2nd or 3rd look for you to see what I'm talking about....

Hint-hint

“Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Okay, please do keep it. Facts sail over your head like an obscure Dennis Miller reference It often takes a 2nd or 3rd look for you to see what I'm talking about....

Hint-hint

“Those that walk out for the coin toss at the lowB repuS.”

You absolutely can't make this **** up!!! Look everyone come look at the idiot

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
antdrew, fair warning and only warning...

if you run off Coach, you will have to personally spit shine Chickillo's balls.
Chickillo gets mad when his balls are not polished on an hourly basis.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Bah, Andrew been sucking on suspended players and below average veterans far more than I. Might has well nickname him " Throat Zilla "

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

I have tears in my eyes!!

Ok ok I won't run him off. But its hilarious. This could be almost as good as Polamalu head Supe. And he just keeps going..

[Carrie's mom voice] They're all going to laugh at you...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I have tears in my eyes!!

Ok ok I won't run him off. But its hilarious. This could be almost as good as Polamalu head Supe. And he just keeps going..

[Carrie's mom voice] They're all going to laugh at you...

Super Bowl..lol