• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chris Rock proves there is such a thing as black privilege with his latest "joke"

No you are changing the argument and still don't understand the difference between a stand up comic and a late night talk show host. It's the same as not understanding the difference between a thoroughbred racehorse and a quarter horse. I can lead you to water, but you still refuse to drink.

I also don't think you know what the term tambourine means, because I don't think you watched the entire source material.

It's tough to be ignorant when you are well educated on the topics in question. Try and stay on topic.

I'm not changing the argument. The man's words are there for the world to see. And I'll repeat for the 6th time, no white comic can make that joke about black kids.

You can argue context till you're blue in the face and defend it. But you'll be wrong.

It doesn't matter if you are a late night host, a stand up comic, a politician, or a housewife. You can't make those comments and justify them as 'funny.'

Some of the best comics takes a subject and go to the extreme about it. Carlin did it, Pryor did it and Rock is trying to follow in their footsteps. Many topics are controversial and are intended to not only get people laughing, but to think, as well. There's a fine line about poor taste and it usually up to the listener of how they take the joke. If one person is offended, then they did their job. I heard that somewhere. . .
I've listened to Chris Rock for awhile and some of his material is very funny, while some of it seems like he trying too hard to be controversial. It's entertainment. I get it. I don't know if there is a "white" comic out there right now that is ballsy to make a joke about shootings, kids and cops. Maybe Gary Owen? Would he get flack for it? Maybe not. All in all, it's entertainment and intended for a reaction.

"Ohh, some people don't like you to talk like that. Ohh, some people like to shut you up for saying those things. You know that. Lots of people. Lots of groups in this country want to tell you how to talk. Tell you what you can't talk about. Well, sometimes they'll say, well you can talk about something but you can't joke about it. Say you can't joke about something because it's not funny. Comedians run into that **** all the time.

Like rape. They'll say, "You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny." I say, "**** you, I think it's hilarious. How do you like that?" I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. See? Hey, why do you think they call him "Porky," eh? I know what you're going to say. "Elmer was asking for it. Elmer was coming on to Porky. Porky couldn't help himself, he got a hard-on, he got horny, he lost control, he went out of his mind."- George Carlin

I'm not changing the argument. The man's words are there for the world to see. And I'll repeat for the 6th time, no white comic can make that joke about black kids.

You can argue context till you're blue in the face and defend it. But you'll be wrong.

It doesn't matter if you are a late night host, a stand up comic, a politician, or a housewife. You can't make those comments and justify them as 'funny.'

Again, you refuse to acknowledge the level of absurdity vs. truth in each joke. When Rock tells the joke about white kids it’s funny because nobody is familiar with cops unjustly shooting white kids, whether that’s factual or not.

A better example of a double standard is male bashing in advertising. Advertisers can’t portray women as incompetent at certain tasks, men are fair game. The ads mocking men are still humorous, but sexist and carry a double standard.

Again, you refuse to acknowledge the level of absurdity vs. truth in each joke.

It's irrelevant if it is true or not, how extreme he's trying to be or not, how facetious he's trying to be or not. What he intends is irrelevant. How it is "heard" is what matters. So I will say again...Kathy Griffin can scream till she's blue in the face holding that severed head "This is funny or this is art." What she intended is irrelevant. What we saw is. What we hear is.

Same with Rock's words.

That kneeling football player cannot make me see his kneeling protest differently by telling me "I'm not disrespecting the flag and I'm not insulting the military when I do this, I'm merely protesting social injustice." Sorry, I see nothing BUT disrespect when he kneels. It's how I and millions see it and always will. He cannot tell me what to see in it. If the military vet sees it as disrespectful to the country and the military - then it is disrespectful to the country and the military.

When Rock tells the joke about white kids it’s funny because nobody is familiar with cops unjustly shooting white kids, whether that’s factual or not.

It's not at all funny. "I want to live in a world where an equal amount of white kids are shot every month. I wanna see white mothers on TV, crying, standing next to [civil rights activist] Al Sharpton, talkin' about, 'We need justice for Chad.'" Translation: I want more white kids shot and I wanna see their mothers crying on TV.

Not funny at all.

A better example of a double standard is male bashing in advertising. Advertisers can’t portray women as incompetent at certain tasks, men are fair game. The ads mocking men are still humorous, but sexist and carry a double standard.

Double standards exist in my home and yours. They exist in every walk of life. There are varying degrees everywhere. Your example and those examples in your life (I hope) don't involve murder.

I daresay a double standard on the taking of human life is a tad more serious than poking fun at the sexes.

Last edited:

I call them out to my wife when they are on. i will say "another dumb white male commercial" I especially hate the one's where the pre-teen kid is the intellectual superior to the adult.

It's irrelevant if it is true or not, how extreme he's trying to be or not, how facetious he's trying to be or not. What he intends is irrelevant. How it is "heard" is what matters. So I will say again...Kathy Griffin can scream till she's blue in the face holding that severed head "This is funny or this is art." What she intended is irrelevant. What we saw is. What we hear is.

Same with Rock's words.

That kneeling football player cannot make me see his kneeling protest differently by telling me "I'm not disrespecting the flag and I'm not insulting the military when I do this, I'm merely protesting social injustice." Sorry, I see nothing BUT disrespect when he kneels. It's how I and millions see it and always will. He cannot tell me what to see in it. If the military vet sees it as disrespectful to the country and the military - then it is disrespectful to the country and the military.

It's not at all funny. "I want to live in a world where an equal amount of white kids are shot every month. I wanna see white mothers on TV, crying, standing next to [civil rights activist] Al Sharpton, talkin' about, 'We need justice for Chad.'" Translation: I want more white kids shot and I wanna see their mothers crying on TV.

Not funny at all.

Double standards exist in my home and yours. They exist in every walk of life. There are varying degrees everywhere. Your example and those examples in your life (I hope) don't involve murder.

I daresay a double standard on the taking of human life is a tad more serious than poking fun at the sexes.

When my teenager leaves his sweaty lacrosse uniform in his lacrosse bag and my wife says she is going to kill him, should I be offended?

Where you offended when Trump said he could walk down 5th Avenue and shoot people and they would still vote for him?

What’s different about Rock’s joke?

Last edited:
When my teenager leaves his sweaty lacrosse uniform in his lacrosse bag and my wife says she is going to kill him, should I be offended?

Where you offended when Trump said he could walk down 5th Avenue and shoot people and they would still vote for him?

What’s different about Rock’s joke?

We all know your wife is kidding. We all know Trump was kidding. We all know Rock was kidding.

We don't joke in my home and say "I'm gonna kill you." I wasn't a fan of that statement by Trump. I found Rock's skit offensive and insensitive.

Let me repeat...for the 7th, 8th time?

A white comedian makes this joke (we all know he is kidding) about white cops killing more black kids, he doesn't get away with it.

You know it. I know it.

I'm fine with "tolerating" **** I don't funny and to be able to say "to each his own." But this PC Liberal world selectively targets racist comments from certain people only. The PC movement has me and plenty of others tired of watching this double standard unfold. White jokes/comments about African Americans are fireable offenses. Black jokes/comments about whites are not. Let's play fair, right?

Jemele Hill at ESPN can call Trump a White Supremacist (which is a racist term) and merely face a suspension....but Curt Schilling...and so many others are fired for less.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...orter-who-called-trump-white-supremacist.html

Former major league pitcher Curt Schilling, who was fired from ESPN for comments he made on social media in 2016, took to Sean Hannity’s radio show Wednesday afternoon to excoriate the network’s “liberal racism.”

The sports network’s Jemele Hill set off a firestorm with a recent tweet branding President Trump a “white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself w/ other white supremacists.”

“Let’s be very clear about something,” Schilling told Hannity, “Jemele Hill has always been a racist — the things that she says, the things that she does — I don’t have a problem the fact that Jemele Hill is racist, that Bomani Jones is racist, and Colin Kaepernick knelt for a lie, and that Disney and ESPN, who they own, supports liberal racism.”

He added, “The left has always been the party of racism and intolerance.”

anyone asking. She didn't get fired 'cauee disney and ESPN are fine w/liberal racism vs conservative logic. Only naysayers to that are liars

— Curt Schilling (@gehrig38) September 13, 2017
Schilling, a Hall of Fame contender after a long career during which he won three World Series, was sacked by the “Worldwide Leader in Sports” in April after he posted a meme on Facebook protesting recent laws allowing transgendered people to use whichever bathroom they wish. ESPN claimed Schilling’s post violated a company policy prohibiting analysts from discussing politics.

Hannity suggested the network and Americans of a liberal ideology advocate a double standard.

“Sean, the left is the party of identity politics, everything they do and say is based on your race, your religion, your sexual — hey, let’s be very clear about something. I was fired because I compared Islamic extremists to Nazis, which factually is true. I was fired because I said that men should use the men’s room to go to the bathroom, something I was taught when I grew up. I don’t need the government to tell me those things,” said Schilling, a current Breitbart podcaster.

Hill’s comments came amid increasing criticism of ESPN for inserting politics into its sports programming. The Jemele Hill controversy has bubbled all the way up to the White House, where Press Secretary Sarah Sanders weighed in Wednesday. “That is one of the more outrageous comments that anybody could make and certainly is something that is a fireable offense by ESPN,” Sanders told reporters.

“The comments on Twitter from Jemele Hill regarding the President do not represent the position of ESPN,” the network said in a statement. “We have addressed this with Jemele and she recognizes her action were inappropriate.”

I'm all for Rock facing the same heat any white person making this joke would be facing.

Like I said, you know it as do I. You just won't admit it.

Last edited:
Tim, you have every right to be offended by Rock's statement in his standup.

I have every right to laugh at the irony and absurdity of that statement.

Is there anything you found funny in his routine?

While I wasn't offended at this "joke", I do take offense to the suggestion that Chris Rock is funny. That guy stopped being funny about a decade ago.

Tim, you have every right to be offended by Rock's statement in his standup.

I have every right to laugh at the irony and absurdity of that statement.

Is there anything you found funny in his routine?

Yep, I laughed when he talked about going hunting with his grandfather. He shot a rabbit. He cried. His granddad called him a ******.

Pretty much the only time I laughed. Rock's just not funny any more.

And his whole repetoire on the police (and a few bad apples) was based on this "premise" that there's a police violence problem towards African Americans. I just have no tolerance for ignorance, especially when people preach to me or others when their entire platform is based on an ignorant premise.

Glad you enjoyed it and laughed.

The double standard rolls on.

And his whole repetoire on the police (and a few bad apples) was based on this "premise" that there's a police violence problem towards African Americans.
That's the problem with liberal "jokes". You have to be one of the useful idiots to see any humor in them.

Yep, I laughed when he talked about going hunting with his grandfather. He shot a rabbit. He cried. His granddad called him a ******.

Pretty much the only time I laughed. Rock's just not funny any more.

And his whole repetoire on the police (and a few bad apples) was based on this "premise" that there's a police violence problem towards African Americans. I just have no tolerance for ignorance, especially when people preach to me or others when their entire platform is based on an ignorant premise.

Glad you enjoyed it and laughed.

The double standard rolls on.

As a black man, I can see why Chris Rock jokes about that perception, and got laughs.

As a black man, I can see why Chris Rock jokes about that perception, and got laughs.

I'm not arguing that he has an audience. You could see people in the room. Netflix paid him dearly for it. I pay for Netflix, so I contribute.

I am arguing he's getting away with something a white comedian would not. It is a double standard.

And I am arguing his "comedy" is based upon faulty perceptions. Chris Rock is perpetuating this false narrative that the media has hyped and has so many Americans believing - something that simply isn't true. Is that right? Should we continue fooling Americans? The perception is the base of the problem.

------------------------
As I have posted before:

• In 2015, 50% of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, 26% were black (despite the very high rate of violence in this community which would lead one to believe more African Americans would be victims)
  • More whites and Hispanics die from police ‘homicide’ than blacks
  • Black and Hispanic officers are more likely to fire a gun at a black person than a white police officer is
  • A police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black person than a black man is likely to die by being shot by a police officer

Per the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white. In many urban jurisdictions, 70% of violent crimes are committed by blacks. Translation: Police officers encounter African American violent offenders more regularly than they do white or Hispanic violent offenders. YET 50% of police shooting victims are white. Consider that. Despite police encountering far more black violent offenders and more often, they still kill more whites and Hispanics.

This shows that the police show much MORE restraint with violent black offenders than they do with whites and Hispanics. They shoot more whites and Hispanics at a higher % rate than they do African Americans that they encounter more often.

It is the whites and Hispanics that should be up in arms, because by percentage, they are more likely to die at the hands of a police officer than a black man is.

Then this from the CDC:

In 2012, according to the CDC, 140 blacks were killed by police. That same year 386 whites were killed by police. Over the 13-year period from 1999 to 2011, the CDC reports that 2,151 whites were killed by cops — and 1,130 blacks were killed by cops.

By 2011, law enforcement shootings caused 2.74 deaths for every million blacks, and 1.28 deaths for every million whites. While the death-by-cop rate for whites has held pretty steady over these last 45 years, hovering just above or below the one-in-a-million level, the rate for blacks has fallen. In 1981, black deaths by cop stood at four in a million, but since 2000 has remained just above or below two in a million.

Since 1981, the rate of black death by cop has dropped from 4 per million to 2 per million. Yet violent crimes by blacks remains infinitely higher than other populations.

Now people have argued that since African Americans account for 13% of the population, this rate of death is too high. That is absolutely the wrong prism through which to look at the problem. The correct way to view the problem is by police encounter. And by the # of encounters with police, whites and Hispanics die at a higher percentage level than do African Americans.

---------------------------------

Perpetuating these "perceptions" (which are based on incorrect data) are causing problems leading to death, societal ills, and not fixing the problem. Police are regularly being assassinated.

You saw what happened in Baltimore. And the police pulled out of those communities and crime skyrocketed.

These perceptions that the likes of Chris Rock are perpetuating are not fixing the problem. They are exacerbating it. This problem will not be fixed by focusing on the police alone. When you look at the causes of the problem - community, culture, jobs, education, drugs, racism, violence, the police, the media, politicians...the police factor is a small, small percentage of the issue. We are focusing on a tree when we have a forest full of issues.

You're a black man?

I think the comma was clear, I was referring to Rock. ;)

I hear you Tim, but when has comedy ever been based in truth? Though I would trust comedians slightly more than any politician.

I think the comma was clear, I was referring to Rock. ;)

I hear you Tim, but when has comedy ever been based in truth? Though I would trust comedians slightly more than any politician.

Good comedy is always based in truth in my opinion.

I used to really enjoy those Carlin jokes about killing kids and their crying mothers on TV.

That was towards the end of his life where he was really angry at society.
"I kinda like it when a lot of people die." was the name of it.
911 happened the day after he taped it and it was shelved until about 2 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Rock did a thing a few years ago about How to not get shot by the police (or something like that). I thought it was hilarious.

On the face of it, wanting to see white kids murdered doesn't sound funny to me. On the plus side, he got his wish with the school shooting in FL.