• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Bowls and News

It absolutely was targetting. The "expert official" agreed as well. He lowered his head. He led with the crown of his helmet. He launched into the defenseless player who was down. And, he hit him in the back of the head/neck area. It was a vicious uncalled for hit. He is lucky the guy didn't end up a quadriplegic where and how he hit him. The replays showed how obvious it was. I was absolutely shocked they didn't call it targetting. I was also surprised they didn't call a forward lateral on the play after the fumble and the RB ended up with the ball. Maybe I missed something there but I didn't miss it on the obvious targetting.

It really wasn’t though… the guy didn’t target the head… there may have been some incidental contact after the principal point of contact, but just because he lowered his head doesn’t immediately cause it to be targeting … they just have to take that rule and explain it way better
He lowered the head and made contact above the shoulders. They call that all the time and believe me, watching Pitt, I've seen way too many borderline calls send players out of the game.

Good luck to you also brother. Let's hope for a good game with no major injuries. Of course, I'm hoping for a Buckeye win ... But, I'm not expecting one.
The Buckeyes played their arse off. That was helluva game. My cousins were giving me ish the whole game. Next time MTC is staying home lol.

Hope the Buckeyes TE is ok.

The Buckeyes played their arse off. That was helluva game. My cousins were giving me ish the whole game. Next time MTC is staying home lol.

Hope the Buckeyes TE is ok.
It was a great game. Congratulations.
Haven't seen an update yet on Stover. However, I've been thinking, with Gentry a FA, Stover would be a good addition to the TE room if he's available in the 6th.

Reactions: MTC
It was a great game. Congratulations.
Haven't seen an update yet on Stover. However, I've been thinking, with Gentry a FA, Stover would be a good addition to the TE room if he's available in the 6th.
That was a down to the wire Steelers ish game.

Stover would look good in the B&G. As would Harrison Jr or that kid from TCU, Johnston

two plays cost Michigan that game but it wasn't bad call by the officials it was two pick sixes. That being said if I was a die hard Michigan fan I would be pissed. the none TD call was complete bullshit and if that same hit at the end of the game would have been on a steeler player AT ANY POINT IN THE GAME steeler nation would have lost their collective minds including me.

TCU should up to play. Michigan came out flat. Ohio state had a chance to win at the end. it is what it is. congrats to TCU and Georgia. Hopefully TCU plays as hard in the the NCG as they did against Michigan.

Ohio State’s played well for 59:30
I thought that Ohio totally out-coached Georgia until 4 minutes to go in the game. The last 2 possessions. The offense play calling......they totally choked. The game was in their hands.
Their offensive line had a brilliant game.

That toad was the best **** I ever had.
iu

It absolutely was targetting. The "expert official" agreed as well. He lowered his head. He led with the crown of his helmet. He launched into the defenseless player who was down. And, he hit him in the back of the head/neck area. It was a vicious uncalled for hit. He is lucky the guy didn't end up a quadriplegic where and how he hit him. The replays showed how obvious it was. I was absolutely shocked they didn't call it targetting. I was also surprised they didn't call a forward lateral on the play after the fumble and the RB ended up with the ball. Maybe I missed something there but I didn't miss it on the obvious targetting.

here's what i know about targeting after the last few years. The word Absolutely does not apply. Nobody knows exactly what it is. It seems about half the time the rules analyst disagrees with the refs on the field. I have seen targeting called without ducking the head, or helmet to helmet contact and maybe just a forearm that slightly contacts a facemask. I've also seen guys get laid out with direct hits to the head and no call. Then there's the aspect of being a "runner" or being "defenseless:. It's way too open ended,

Was the Michigan hit targeting? Maybe. Like i said, i've seen plays just like that called and not called so who knows. I don't think it should have been targeting. To me targeting should be when a defender goes helmet to helmet by choice. In other words, he chooses to hit high when he could have made the same tackle lower. This is why I feel that when a runner lowers his head or is diving or otherwise close to the ground, the defender should have the right to also go low to meet him and stop him.

In situations like that, there almost has to be helmet to helmet contact because the runner took away all other strike zones by going low. That's why targeting rarely applies to RBs running up the middle. It is acknowledged that the defender has to go low to meet a low RB. But for some reason, WRs are exempt. They expect defenders to suspend the laws of physics to tackle WRs.

here's what i know about targeting after the last few years. The word Absolutely does not apply. Nobody knows exactly what it is. It seems about half the time the rules analyst disagrees with the refs on the field. I have seen targeting called without ducking the head, or helmet to helmet contact and maybe just a forearm that slightly contacts a facemask. I've also seen guys get laid out with direct hits to the head and no call. Then there's the aspect of being a "runner" or being "defenseless:. It's way too open ended,

Was the Michigan hit targeting? Maybe. Like i said, i've seen plays just like that called and not called so who knows. I don't think it should have been targeting. To me targeting should be when a defender goes helmet to helmet by choice. In other words, he chooses to hit high when he could have made the same tackle lower. This is why I feel that when a runner lowers his head or is diving or otherwise close to the ground, the defender should have the right to also go low to meet him and stop him.

In situations like that, there almost has to be helmet to helmet contact because the runner took away all other strike zones by going low. That's why targeting rarely applies to RBs running up the middle. It is acknowledged that the defender has to go low to meet a low RB. But for some reason, WRs are exempt. They expect defenders to suspend the laws of physics to tackle WRs.

So a little known fact about rulebooks is that the official one you and I can get almost always has an official’s version with further clarifications that all these organizations hold as proprietary information and don’t share… over a decade ago one leaked from the nfl and they went on a scrubbing expedition over it for some stupid unknown reason… its just rule clarifications…

But anyhow, the targeting rule we know is broken up over three sections of the official rules… add in whatever clarifications they have and I Am sure its beyond complicated to decipher

They need to implement the expanded playoff for 2023. Tulane just knocked off a team that not long ago was in consideration for a playoff invite.

more on targeting. For anybody who watched the end of the USC Tulane game you saw USC lay out the Tulane WR, clear helmet to helmet. Both players laid on the ground. Rules expert said it was targeting. Refs say - No targeting. There is no real targeting rule. It's a coin flip

more on targeting. For anybody who watched the end of the USC Tulane game you saw USC lay out the Tulane WR, clear helmet to helmet. Both players laid on the ground. Rules expert said it was targeting. Refs say - No targeting. There is no real targeting rule. It's a coin flip
Helmet to helmet hits are going to happen. I doubt that players are still intentionally “targeting” given it results in a personal foul, ejection and half game suspension.

Why are the two PSU tackles out>????

So disappointed that U$C lost that game. Great win for Tulane.

What's up with the lack of Penn State fans at the Rose Bowl? Didn't want to watch Sean Clifford one more time?

Penn State followed an 87 yard TD with an 88 yard TD run.

So disappointed that U$C lost that game. Great win for Tulane.

What's up with the lack of Penn State fans at the Rose Bowl? Didn't want to watch Sean Clifford one more time?

i wouldn't say there's a lack of PSU fans. There probably about 40K of them there. The stadium is huge and Utah has a short trip so it makes sense it would be more Utah fans than PSU.

I'm glad to see Clifford go out with a great performance. He takes so much **** from PSU fans but he has mostly taken a beating in his career behind a bad OL, no run game and limited weapons. This year the OL was improved, they had a run game and he had a good season.

That Utah punter must be a theater major when he took that dive trying to draw a flag, even making them help him off the field. He was committed to the role like Christian Bale in The Prestige