• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Thread Week 1

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty of good games in the first college weekend. We almost had the first upset as #9 Tennessee needed some luck and OT to beat App State. Here's some of the big games

Noon
#3 Oklahoma at #15 Houston - big game for Houston as they hope to prove they belong in the Big 12

3:30
16 UCLA at Texas A&M - QB Josh Rosen looking to build on his strong freshman season
5 LSU vs Wisconsin at Lambeau Field - Wisky replacing some key starters. Probably don't have enough to beat LSU.

5:30
18 Georgia vs 22 North Carolina at Georgia Dome - first game for new Georgia coach Kirby Smart. North Carolina usually makes noise in these type games but comes up short.

8:00
20 USC vs 1 Alabama at Cowboys Stadium
Bama is replacing a bunch of people so USC has a shot. People forget that USC has been on sanctions so they still don't have depth. That will probably be the difference as Bama overpowers them late.

Sunday 7:30
10 Notre Dame at Texas - Charlie Strong's seat is starting to get hot at Texas. Texas has talent but still a question at QB

Monday 8:00
11 Ole Miss vs 4 Florida State - If Ole Miss wins, it proves the whole ACC stinks. If Florida State wins, it means nothing according to ESPN

Of course, the biggest game of the week, maybe the whole season Saturday at 3:30

Kent State at Penn State - Jack Lambert vs Jack Ham. Penn State finally back to 85 scholarships but it's mostly young and inexperienced talent. They will also have a new offensive and defensive coordinator.

New offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead is installing an up tempo spread offense based on run pass options that will better play to PSU's strengths which is playmakers at RB and WR.

RB Saquon Barkley had 1000 yards and 6 ypc as a freshman behind one of the worst OLs you'd ever see at a FBS school. This year the OL will have some young talent and a new scheme that will be easier.

Barkley seems to be on track for a breakout season as one of the top RB in the nation. He dedicated himself to the weight room in the offseason and got leaner, stronger and faster. He timed 4.38 in the 40 in the spring and squatted 600 lbs.

Joining Barkley in the backfield is 5 star freshman Miles Sanders who also has gamebreaking talent.

Penn State is replacing 3 drafted DLs, including Carl Nassib who led the nation in sacks last year. Some young but inexperienced talent will have to learn quickly. An improved offense could give the defense more margin for error than past seasons.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Of course, the biggest game of the week, maybe the whole season Saturday at 3:30

Tape, this is seriously my favorite part of all of your college football week posts. Cracks me up every time.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Now its time for Texas to get its football swager back Lets go TAMU. I loathe UCLA.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Where is Coolie?? Probably having a parade on his street

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Coolie was at the game. Still driving home celebrating
so jealous. I wanted to go so bad! when I moved here I could get tickets all the time. No one would go with me. I went to every game Case's last year. But thats ok, I love seeing them rise. tom Herman is a bad ***.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Tickets for the rest of the games are going to be tough to come by.....Louisville comes to town later this season.....going to have to get tickets soon for that one

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Anyone else watching JJ Watt's little brother play for Wisconsin? He is giving the LSU O Line fits.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Holy ****, one of the most flagrant cheap shots I have ever seen just happened, by an LSU Lineman! Wisconsin DB puts the game away after an Interception . He picks the ball off, falls to the ground, then gets up and starts running and celebrating with his teammates. This 350 pound ******** from LSU comes in 5 seconds later and ******* blindsides him from out of nowhere and cleans his clock. They threw him out. He should be suspended IMO. That was bad. Announcers must be pulling for LSU, they completely glossed it over and acted like they weren't sure who the penalty was on then once they had to point it out all they talked about was the throw by the LSU QB. ******* LOL.

Last edited:

Spike

Reaction score
I had no idea John Saunders died.

Shame, he was one of the few left at ESPN worth anything

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Ah, man. Does this mean there won't be any SEC supremacy gloating around here?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone check on Tape. Hope he didn't bleed out from pulling the head off when Wisconsin won.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
LSU's offensive lineman takes a real cheap shot on Wisconsin after the interception to seal the win. Honestly, I don't even know if I'd consider that game an upset.

So glad Oklahoma got beat by Houston. That saves us all from them making the playoffs only to choke as they always do.

Spike

Reaction score
Did the network cameramen all turn gay? I didn't see nearly any cheerleader upskirts shots. **** the games. This must change.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
LSU's offensive lineman takes a real cheap shot on Wisconsin after the interception to seal the win. Honestly, I don't even know if I'd consider that game an upset.

So glad Oklahoma got beat by Houston. That saves us all from them making the playoffs only to choke as they always do.

when Houston runs the table and if OU wins the Big 12, you might see them in the playoffs again

P

POP

Plenty of good games in the first college weekend. We almost had the first upset as #9 Tennessee needed some luck and OT to beat App State. Here's some of the big games

Noon
#3 Oklahoma at #15 Houston - big game for Houston as they hope to prove they belong in the Big 12
And prove it they did.

3:30
16 UCLA at Texas A&M - QB Josh Rosen looking to build on his strong freshman season
Aggies pull it off.
5 LSU vs Wisconsin at Lambeau Field - Wisky replacing some key starters. Probably don't have enough to beat LSU.
And the Badger do it. Good game, I watched it.

5:30
18 Georgia vs 22 North Carolina at Georgia Dome - first game for new Georgia coach Kirby Smart. North Carolina usually makes noise in these type games but comes up short.
Pulled it off

8:00
20 USC vs 1 Alabama at Cowboys Stadium
Bama is replacing a bunch of people so USC has a shot. People forget that USC has been on sanctions so they still don't have depth. That will probably be the difference as Bama overpowers them late.

Looking forward to it. Usually college week 1 has a total of one good game. This year is different and better.

Sunday 7:30
10 Notre Dame at Texas - Charlie Strong's seat is starting to get hot at Texas. Texas has talent but still a question at QB

Monday 8:00
11 Ole Miss vs 4 Florida State - If Ole Miss wins, it proves the whole ACC stinks. If Florida State wins, it means nothing according to ESPN

Kent State at Penn State - Jack Lambert vs Jack Ham. Penn State finally back to 85 scholarships but it's mostly young and inexperienced talent. They will also have a new offensive and defensive coordinator.

New offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead is installing an up tempo spread offense based on run pass options that will better play to PSU's strengths which is playmakers at RB and WR.

RB Saquon Barkley had 1000 yards and 6 ypc as a freshman behind one of the worst OLs you'd ever see at a FBS school. This year the OL will have some young talent and a new scheme that will be easier.

Barkley seems to be on track for a breakout season as one of the top RB in the nation. He dedicated himself to the weight room in the offseason and got leaner, stronger and faster. He timed 4.38 in the 40 in the spring and squatted 600 lbs.

Joining Barkley in the backfield is 5 star freshman Miles Sanders who also has gamebreaking talent.

Penn State is replacing 3 drafted DLs, including Carl Nassib who led the nation in sacks last year. Some young but inexperienced talent will have to learn quickly. An improved offense could give the defense more margin for error than past seasons.

[/QUOTE]

PSU is simply irrelevant in today's college football. They just don't matter. Meaningless.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Tee Martin is offensive coordinator at USC. Hardy Nickerson is DC at Illinois.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
Tickets for the rest of the games are going to be tough to come by....

I used to chide Mrs.Ghost for getting a third season ticket every year. Sometimes she couldn't even give it away. But this season she's going to be very popular.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think Stoops - or anyone else on their staff - saw Wilson standing back there.

We didn't, until we saw him begin the runback.

my seats were in the upper level right behind that goal post...I saw him there and was hoping the kick was short.....

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i have no idea why any top offense player would ever play for Les Miles. Fournette will be running into a brick wall each week.