• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Thread Week 1

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The question is how long will Urban and Harbaugh stay?

Harbaugh seems to like college ball. He's a Michigan born and raised man. I think he's there for a while. I can't see Urban going anywhere. He doesn't strike me as an NFL type. Then again money talks. Well see when his contract is up.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank GOD ND lost. Can't stand them. Always the golden child of the NCAA, always overrated.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think Franklin can coach with Harbaugh or Urban. Now along comes Lovie Smith .... that program should prove to be interesting as well.

Still don't think Franklin was the right hire. Seems at times to be in over his head. I'm thinking he has this year and maybe next, then the alumni, boosters and former players will be demanding a new head coach.

Spike

Reaction score
Texas 50 Notre Dame 47 (Final - 2 OT)

Great game!

hi-res-5660198_crop_north.jpg

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched that Jets game. The Jets backup OL was destroyed by the Eagles. Hack had no time to throw. It was like watching him play at Penn State.

It's a shame that Hack had to be wasted running for his life behind a decimated OL while at PSU. Now PSU has more depth on the OL and a scheme that helps protect the QB.

Penn State would have scored 50 on Kent with Hack. McSorley doesn't have an arm. He had like 4 or 5 deep shots that were open and they were all underthrown jump balls. Hack would have connected on at least 2 or 3 of them. I'm concerned that defenses will adjust and clamp down on the short throws and dare him to throw deep. If all he can manage are flutter balls, then it could be a long year.

C'mon, man. When are you going to stop being a Hackenberg apologist? He sucks. His game against the Eagles was historically awful -- 54 yards passing....on 31 attempts! No wonder he didn't even see the field for the first two preseason games.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...as-historically-bad-against-the-eagles-090216

If you watched the whole game, then you saw the horrendous 90-yard pick-six. Yes, he was pressured. But it was 2nd-and-4 in the red zone in a tight game. You just take the sack on the 20 and move on to the next play. You don't try to force the ball out like that. The defender himself couldn't believe his good fortune: “I was playing the route solid,” Reynolds said. “And I was like, ‘There is no way he is throwing this ball.’ And then he threw it, and it just came and the rest happened.

tapeANaspirin2it said:
I thought the backup Stevens looked better in the blue white game. McSorley has heart and seems to be a good leader but Stevens is bigger, faster and has the better arm.

Lots of PSU fans thought Franklin gave Stevens so many reps and waited to name McSorley as starter just because they were worried about Stevens transferring, but i think it's because they know Stevens has a higher ceiling and they were hoping he could surpass McSorley.

Maybe McSorley had first game jitters and that led to the underthrown balls, but if his arm is that weak, it's going to be a problem against good defenses.

As for the future, i don't know how closely you follow recruiting but PSU has had some very good classes under Franklin. Their fresh and soph are very talented but inexperienced. He already has a very strong class going for 2017 and a few already committed to 2018. I expect they will surpass Mich State soon and then be on more equal talent footing with Ohio State and Michigan in a few years. It will still be tough though. The Big 10 was stupid for putting all those teams in the same division.

The question is how long will Urban and Harbaugh stay? Both have a history of burning out and moving on after a few years.

McSorley's mobility makes the offensive line look a whole lot better, and either one of them will be easier for me to watch than "Hack."

I've followed the recruiting to a small degree, and while Franklin's 2016 class was indeed "very good" (#23 according to rivals.com), it still trailed MSU's #18 class, and was far behind the top-5 rankings of Ohio State and Michigan. And somehow, unfortunately, I have a feeling that OSU and Michigan will continue to dominate PSU in 2017, 2018, and well beyond. In recruiting, coaching, and on the field of play.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ditto Oklahoma

Ditto LSU

LSU has talent but no coaching. Les Miles is similar to Mike Locksley in that they both can recruit some damn good talent, but they lack the brains to piece that talent together

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Jacob Eason though. Championship!

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't like it, but I am a Sooner fan for the remainder of their season

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
ball stomping? the guy was from Italy. He stomped grapes as a youngster...just got confused a bit...

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think Franklin can coach with Harbaugh or Urban. Now along comes Lovie Smith .... that program should prove to be interesting as well.

Still don't think Franklin was the right hire. Seems at times to be in over his head. I'm thinking he has this year and maybe next, then the alumni, boosters and former players will be demanding a new head coach.

College is mostly recruiting which is why a ****** coach like Les Miles has had so much success. Franklin is a great recruiter. He's landed some very good classes while the team had mediocre records and an offense that looked terrible and worse yet, boring, to recruits. That takes a great recruiter to land top kids in that situation.

You have to give him at least this year and next to judge him because he took over a decimated team. If Franklin does get fired after next year, then he will be leaving behind a program with lots of talent and it will be a very desirable job.

That's kind of the situation Michigan had. Brady Hoke deserves more credit for Harbaugh for last year's turnaround. If you look at the recruiting, MIchigan had some top classes that were due to be juniors last year so the breakout year was predictable. Harbaugh did a good job but they would have had the same record with Hoke.

If Franklin fails, he will at least leave the program in good shape. Matt Ruhle at Temple played at Penn State and is a native of State College so he would be a logical choice if they need a replacement.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
C'mon, man. When are you going to stop being a Hackenberg apologist? He sucks. His game against the Eagles was historically awful -- 54 yards passing....on 31 attempts! No wonder he didn't even see the field for the first two preseason games.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...as-historically-bad-against-the-eagles-090216

If you watched the whole game, then you saw the horrendous 90-yard pick-six. Yes, he was pressured. But it was 2nd-and-4 in the red zone in a tight game. You just take the sack on the 20 and move on to the next play. You don't try to force the ball out like that. The defender himself couldn't believe his good fortune: “I was playing the route solid,” Reynolds said. “And I was like, ‘There is no way he is throwing this ball.’ And then he threw it, and it just came and the rest happened.

McSorley's mobility makes the offensive line look a whole lot better, and either one of them will be easier for me to watch than "Hack."

I've followed the recruiting to a small degree, and while Franklin's 2016 class was indeed "very good" (#23 according to rivals.com), it still trailed MSU's #18 class, and was far behind the top-5 rankings of Ohio State and Michigan. And somehow, unfortunately, I have a feeling that OSU and Michigan will continue to dominate PSU in 2017, 2018, and well beyond. In recruiting, coaching, and on the field of play.

I'm just saying you can't judge him on a week 4 preseason game where almost all of the guys on the field with him got cut a few days later. The best weapon Hack had was TE Jace Amaro who was cut.

In the week 3 game, Hack looked very good, leading an impressive TD drive.

He has gotten few reps in practice because the plan is for him to sit this year. They signed Fitzpatrick late and they are installing a new offense with Chan Gailey so Fitzpatrick needed lots of reps. They also had to decide between Geno Smith and Bryce Petty as who would be #2 this year. That's why they got most of the reps and playing time until week 4.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, if you're behind Geno ******* Smith, you may want to consider your other career choices.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Florida State looking like they haven't even practiced. Totally unprepared and making mistake after mistake. 11 penalties in a half. Wow.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Ole Miss is doing their best to give the game to fsu

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
FSU woke up. Did they get Bus-lag on the drive from Tallahassee to Orlando?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
FSU's QB grew up at halftime. Must have been that hard hit he took just before half.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Jameis cooked up some crab legs at halftime to give them strength

C

Clete

Trying to listen to Francoise speak after the game is tough, low IQ.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just saying you can't judge him on a week 4 preseason game where almost all of the guys on the field with him got cut a few days later. The best weapon Hack had was TE Jace Amaro who was cut.

In the week 3 game, Hack looked very good, leading an impressive TD drive.

He has gotten few reps in practice because the plan is for him to sit this year. They signed Fitzpatrick late and they are installing a new offense with Chan Gailey so Fitzpatrick needed lots of reps. They also had to decide between Geno Smith and Bryce Petty as who would be #2 this year. That's why they got most of the reps and playing time until week 4.

I can judge Hackenberg on his dozens of unforced overthrows and underthrows while he was at Penn State. And what kind of defensive players do you think he was facing in a week 4 preseason game? Not good ones, which is probably why Bryce Petty was 4-6 for 87 yards and a touchdown against that vicious Eagles defense before he got injured.

Yes, that sure was an impressive touchdown drive in week 3. You also, not surprisingly, forgot to mention that the rest of the game, Hackenberg was 2-10 for 26 yards and an interception. His totals for the game? 6 for 16, 105 yards, a TD and an INT. "Very good" my ***.

Obviously the Jets aren't going to cut their 2nd round pick. They're not going to admit the egregious error they've made just yet. But they are still carrying 3 quarterbacks ahead of "Hack" on the active roster. The reason he's not getting reps is...he sucks.