• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Thread Week 1

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I can judge Hackenberg on his dozens of unforced overthrows and underthrows while he was at Penn State. And what kind of defensive players do you think he was facing in a week 4 preseason game? Not good ones, which is probably why Bryce Petty was 4-6 for 87 yards and a touchdown against that vicious Eagles defense before he got injured.

Yes, that sure was an impressive touchdown drive in week 3. You also, not surprisingly, forgot to mention that the rest of the game, Hackenberg was 2-10 for 26 yards and an interception. His totals for the game? 6 for 16, 105 yards, a TD and an INT. "Very good" my ***.

Obviously the Jets aren't going to cut their 2nd round pick. They're not going to admit the egregious error they've made just yet. But they are still carrying 3 quarterbacks ahead of "Hack" on the active roster. The reason he's not getting reps is...he sucks.

Stats are meaningless in preseason. You have to see the game. Hack did play well in week 3. If you watched, you would have seen that in his 10 incompletions, he had 3 dropped, an intentional throw away when nobody was open, a tipped ball at the line, 2 desperation heaves at end of game, 1 bad throw, and 1 INT where he was fooled by a zone blitz.

The Jets announcers said he had zero reps in practice that week because they were trying to decide between Geno and Petty. Hack was not supposed to play in week 3 but they put him out there.

Week 4 was just a garbage game. Yes, the eagles were playing backups but their backups were whipping the Jets backups. The Eagles are deep at pass rusher and it showed. I get it that it just sounds like excuses, but if you actually watched that game, Hack was mostly running for his life.

I think most of Hack's issues are a result of being hit and rushed so often. Also, Franklin's offense changed his footwork and footwork is the most important part of accuracy. I believe his problems are fixable and the Jets drafted him as a project for that reason. They said right from when he was drafted that the plan was to sit him this year because he has mechanical issues.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think most of Hack's issues are a result of being hit and rushed so often. Also, Franklin's offense changed his footwork and footwork is the most important part of accuracy. I believe his problems are fixable and the Jets drafted him as a project for that reason. They said right from when he was drafted that the plan was to sit him this year because he has mechanical issues.

Hackenberg or HOFer Geno ******* Smith?

Spike

Reaction score
FSU's QB grew up at halftime. Must have been that hard hit he took just before half.

ha ha

Something knocked his cobwebs loose - he's a rookie that woke up quick

Deondre Francois put up way bigger numbers in his FSU debut than Jameis Winston

Florida State's redshirt freshman quarterback made his first career start on Monday

GettyImages-599541272.0.jpg

Francois' final line: 33-of-52 passing for 419 yards, two touchdowns, and no interceptions. He ran nine times for 59 yards, accounting in total for 478 of the 'Noles 580 yards of offense.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...rancois-florida-state-ole-miss-jameis-winston

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Stats are meaningless in preseason. You have to see the game. Hack did play well in week 3. If you watched, you would have seen that in his 10 incompletions, he had 3 dropped, an intentional throw away when nobody was open, a tipped ball at the line, 2 desperation heaves at end of game, 1 bad throw, and 1 INT where he was fooled by a zone blitz.

The Jets announcers said he had zero reps in practice that week because they were trying to decide between Geno and Petty. Hack was not supposed to play in week 3 but they put him out there.

Week 4 was just a garbage game. Yes, the eagles were playing backups but their backups were whipping the Jets backups. The Eagles are deep at pass rusher and it showed. I get it that it just sounds like excuses, but if you actually watched that game, Hack was mostly running for his life.

Everything I saw with Hackenberg's performance against the Eagles confirmed what I already knew about the guy. His issue is that he's still as erratic and inaccurate as he was at Penn State, when he was getting all the reps.

I don't pretend to be privy to the Jets' decision-making process at the quarterback position, but if they re-signed a washed-out veteran to start, still have Geno Smith (who's thrown 35 INTs to go with his 27 touchdown passes and career 72 QB rating) and a never-was with a shoulder injury occupying roster spots ahead of him, it speaks volumes. They can't even commit to Hackenberg as the third-string quarterback. It's sad, but I can't say I'm surprised.

You've convinced yourself that it's everyone else's fault but his. Go ahead and continue to root for "Hack"...I know you will. Good luck with that.