• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Thread Week 1

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Holy ****, one of the most flagrant cheap shots I have ever seen just happened, by an LSU Lineman! Wisconsin DB puts the game away after an Interception . He picks the ball off, falls to the ground, then gets up and starts running and celebrating with his teammates. This 350 pound ******** from LSU comes in 5 seconds later and ******* blindsides him from out of nowhere and cleans his clock. They threw him out. He should be suspended IMO. That was bad. Announcers must be pulling for LSU, they completely glossed it over and acted like they weren't sure who the penalty was on then once they had to point it out all they talked about was the throw by the LSU QB. ******* LOL.

not sure if the OL knew the guy had falln to the ground after the INT....he may have thought the all was live and he needed to make the tackle....yeah he should have heard the whistle...but the kid was running up the field with the ball tucked away

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Pitt-Nice to see Connor back out there. Def will be cheering for the Panthers this season.
My boys over at UGA-Happy to have Chubb back in running mode, Kirby Smart needs to let Jacob Eason fling the ball this season. #1 rated recruit out of the state of WA. That kid can sling the ball. Defense and the rest of the skill position guys are question marks. Lorenzo Carter needs to use his height to his advantage on defense.

Alabama- They may be on a different level this season. Never a big fan of u$c, so happy to see them get blown out the water over a much anticipated match up. I think usc has been kinda overrated since the whole Pete Carrol era. Aside from Polamalu and Clay Matthews who has had worth awhile careers in the nfl out of usc? (2000-2016)

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Lynn Swan is now the athletic director at USC

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
not sure if the OL knew the guy had falln to the ground after the INT....he may have thought the all was live and he needed to make the tackle....yeah he should have heard the whistle...but the kid was running up the field with the ball tucked away

Les Miles said Boutte told him that's what happend. He thought the guy was not down yet. Miles said he believes him.

That begs the question, why didn't you jump on that fumble after you laid him out? You thought it was a live play so that must be a fumble and you walked away and taunted Wisconsin players. Seems like he's full of ****.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mzMyFlGJvMo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
What a good opening weekend!!!! Just goes to show that rankings mean jack ****. And yes, I know my team lost- I knew they didn't have much of a chance, but they hung in there against Clemson. Malzahn needs to pick a QB and stick with him.

Supersteeler

Reaction score

Nah, he was frustrated because they lost the game and decided to take a shot. The dude was running with his hand pointing towards the sky in victory and his teammates were surrounding him in celebration mode. Guy lost his head. His coach that angrily jerked him off the field knew also, it showed in his reaction.

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
not sure about the LSU guy....he likely was just pissed...but this USC guy obviously did this on purpose

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Nah, he was frustrated because they lost the game and decided to take a shot. The dude was running with his hand pointing towards the sky in victory and his teammates were surrounding him in celebration mode. Guy lost his head. His coach that angrily jerked him off the field knew also, it showed in his reaction.

watched it again off the espn site....the video shows him seeing the QB throw the ball and following it to the DB who picked it off....no way he did not see the guy on the ground...

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That's exactly why Coach Saban allowed us to run a FIDDY BURGER on them...

Thanks to Bama for the *** whoopin. U$C fans can shut dafuq up for awhile now. Intentional stepping on the groin. 99% of college teams dont bother me. As a UGA guy Florida and Auburn dont even bother me. But So Cal teams? Lakers and Trojans fans the most. I cannot stand at all

Spike

Reaction score
The primetime games restored my faith in camermen

Those USC pom-pom girls' swollen white sweater shots were magnificient

usccheerleaders.jpg

Reactions: MTC

Supersteeler

Reaction score
watched it again off the espn site....the video shows him seeing the QB throw the ball and following it to the DB who picked it off....no way he did not see the guy on the ground...

How could he not see that the rest of his own team was standing around, obviously knowing the play was over and the opposing players were celebrating?

chipped ham

Reaction score
The primetime games restored my faith in camermen

Those USC pom-pom girls' swollen white sweater shots were magnificient

usccheerleaders.jpg

Man, to be an 18 year old attending that school. Pete Carrol had the easiest job in all of college football when it came to recruiting.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Rough opening week for the SEC, going 7-6. They really only had 3 good games, Bama obviously, Georgia over North Carolina, TAM over UCLA. The rest was pretty bad

Wins
#9 Tennessee needs OT to beat App State and App state missed an XP and a FG. Tenn Scored in OT on a fumble recovery. They managed to score just 13 points in regulation.

South Carolina 13-10 over Vanderbilt. I know SC is not supposed to be great this year but not a great start

Arkansas 21-20 over La Tech

# 25 Florida 24-7 over UMass - this was 10-7 into the 4th quarter

Some pretty tight wins over meager competition. Then there were the bad losses

#5 LSU loses to unranked Wisconsin
Missouri is dominated by West Virginia
Miss State loses to South Alabama
Kentucky lost to Southern Miss

They still have #11 Ole Miss vs #4 Florida State. If Ole Miss can pull the upset, it will turn things around and give the SEC 2 top 5 teams, but if Ole Miss gets blown out, that will leave the SEC with just 1 top 10 team (assuming Tenn drops a few slots after the narrow win and LSU drops).

ark steel

Reaction score
Good last 2 periods for ND/TX.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Great game between Texas and Notre Dame. Texas may have turned the corner with this win. Good job by Notre Dame playing hard and coming back when they were down in a hostile environment. They didn't fold up and quit like USC.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Just glad that Hackenberg is gone from Penn State. Watched some of the Jets-Eagles preseason game, and he's still just as inaccurate as ever. The new guy isn't the second coming of Kerry Collins, but at least he's got good mobility and some touch on his passes.

It's just tough to think about how the Lions are going to be able to compete, with Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State in their own division every single year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Just glad that Hackenberg is gone from Penn State. Watched some of the Jets-Eagles preseason game, and he's still just as inaccurate as ever. The new guy isn't the second coming of Kerry Collins, but at least he's got good mobility and some touch on his passes.

It's just tough to think about how the Lions are going to be able to compete, with Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State in their own division every single year.

That conference will be between Ohio St and Michigan. Michigan St may have a chance but I think Michigan challenges for the #2 spot this season

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

I watched that Jets game. The Jets backup OL was destroyed by the Eagles. Hack had no time to throw. It was like watching him play at Penn State.

It's a shame that Hack had to be wasted running for his life behind a decimated OL while at PSU. Now PSU has more depth on the OL and a scheme that helps protect the QB.

Penn State would have scored 50 on Kent with Hack. McSorley doesn't have an arm. He had like 4 or 5 deep shots that were open and they were all underthrown jump balls. Hack would have connected on at least 2 or 3 of them. I'm concerned that defenses will adjust and clamp down on the short throws and dare him to throw deep. If all he can manage are flutter balls, then it could be a long year.

I thought the backup Stevens looked better in the blue white game. McSorley has heart and seems to be a good leader but Stevens is bigger, faster and has the better arm.

Lots of PSU fans thought Franklin gave Stevens so many reps and waited to name McSorley as starter just because they were worried about Stevens transferring, but i think it's because they know Stevens has a higher ceiling and they were hoping he could surpass McSorley.

Maybe McSorley had first game jitters and that led to the underthrown balls, but if his arm is that weak, it's going to be a problem against good defenses.

As for the future, i don't know how closely you follow recruiting but PSU has had some very good classes under Franklin. Their fresh and soph are very talented but inexperienced. He already has a very strong class going for 2017 and a few already committed to 2018. I expect they will surpass Mich State soon and then be on more equal talent footing with Ohio State and Michigan in a few years. It will still be tough though. The Big 10 was stupid for putting all those teams in the same division.

The question is how long will Urban and Harbaugh stay? Both have a history of burning out and moving on after a few years.