• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 1

Two things I think I think about this.
1. It seems that the Steelers are not scouting/drafting tOSU players as hotly as they did in the past. They were one of only five NFL teams to not have a scout at last night's game.
2. If they were to take a tOSU ILB, Steele Chambers may grow into a better one than Eichenberg. He's better in coverage now and has more speed. Like our man Robinson, he's a former RB. The difference is that Chambers will have two years experience playing LB under his belt. He made the switch from RB to LB last year during fall camp and quickly picked up the position; earning more and more playing time until he was starting by the end of the season.
I don't know either player but...

I'd prefer Will Anderson. He can play DE, OLB, and ILB...

Two things I think I think about this.
1. It seems that the Steelers are not scouting/drafting tOSU players as hotly as they did in the past. They were one of only five NFL teams to not have a scout at last night's game.
2. If they were to take a tOSU ILB, Steele Chambers may grow into a better one than Eichenberg. He's better in coverage now and has more speed. Like our man Robinson, he's a former RB. The difference is that Chambers will have two years experience playing LB under his belt. He made the switch from RB to LB last year during fall camp and quickly picked up the position; earning more and more playing time until he was starting by the end of the season.
Obviously the coverage skills of Chambers could be attractive to them, and ultimately he could go earlier. Still Eich has some qualities I will check out as the season goes. Like what I am seeing from him..

Last edited:
My biggest concern here is WHY didn't the STEELERS have a scout there. That is a department that I think is sub-par with what is happening on our talent evaluation. There is a reason why teams's have their scouts there and justified as to the number of NFL teams there.

SteelBuckeye, thanks for the analogy.

Salute the nation
its not wise to assume that there is or isn’t a scout at the game.

A. It’s early season so teams may have scouting trips planned for both of those schools later in the season that match with other schools they wish to scout

B. Its always possible that the scout is attending the game with family or friends outside of the pressbox area

C. Teams can request footage from games and there is tons from a major national game like that..

On the flip side scouts and front office personnel sometimes abuse their credentials to watch a game they aren’t really scouting lol… its been said to happen… though I doubt it at a game like that

A. It’s early season so teams may have scouting trips planned for both of those schools later in the season that match with other schools they wish to scout

B. Its always possible that the scout is attending the game with family or friends outside of the pressbox area

C. Teams can request footage from games and there is tons from a major national game like that..

On the flip side scouts and front office personnel sometimes abuse their credentials to watch a game they aren’t really scouting lol… its been said to happen… though I doubt it at a game like that
I was thinking the same thing...

Im just saying that over on the hockey forums, they spaz out over reports about what scouts are at teams because of trade rumors… and like 90% of the time there is no correlation between a team trading for or not trading for a guy and scouts being publicly noticeable at the game

It's possible to with a team like Ohio State they feel more comfortable with what they watch on film and are trying to uncover some guys. Based on the games I read the Steelers had scouts at, it wasn't exactly a large group of power schools.

Tune leaping in from the 3 yard line in the final OT caused a bit of a loud reaction in my house

I know,................. Heard it way WAY up here where I live.!!

Salute the nation

There is the possibility of

D. They didn't have a scout there.

I don't care if they did or didn't and ALL your.. A / B / C... are easily correct but my biggest concern is

Is the scouting departent doing their JOB ? Are we getting subpar / over rated talent ?

I realize the scouting department doesn't have final say in player choice but I' sure they have influence on said choice and board placee

OL is a great example.

Salute the nation

There is the possibility of

D. They didn't have a scout there.

I don't care if they did or didn't and ALL your.. A / B / C... are easily correct but my biggest concern is

Is the scouting departent doing their JOB ? Are we getting subpar / over rated talent ?

I realize the scouting department doesn't have final say in player choice but I' sure they have influence on said choice and board placee

OL is a great example.

Salute the nation

Yeah, I get it, but I think 1st games are very often misleading. Both teams are still figuring out who does what and where. Give it three weeks for the college teams to get their lineups organized and the plays figured out before scouting.

Otherwise, a better chance of misevaluating a player because he was not yet in the right situation, or did better than talent indicates because opposition still figuring out how to handle things.

Why is it important for a scout to be at the game? Can’t they get all the game film they could ever hope for?

My boys took care of Hawaii last night/this morning. It's too bad the playoff isn't expanding this year.

Dawgs defense looks faster. I hope Kirby keeps the intensity high this season

Dawgs defense looks faster. I hope Kirby keeps the intensity high this season
That game wasn't much to watch, unless you're a Bulldogs fan. For some reason, I thought it might be somewhat entertaining.

This was the most entertaining week 1 that that I can remember with another couple of promising games tonight.

LSU has a player named Major Burns.

The announcer from LSU Florida st. Looks like Mitchel from modern family