• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 1

My only complaint at this point is the BAMA OL...
I don't think we're showcasing the running game today...at least not in the first half...

Utah St. is pretty stout up front and wearing them down w/ the passing game was nothing short of GENIUS.

Hopefully, we can keep the Dunkin' Donut on the board when the clock hits triple zero!!!

I don't think we're showcasing the running game today...at least not in the first half...

Utah St. is pretty stout up front and wearing them down w/ the passing game was nothing short of GENIUS.

Hopefully, we can keep the Dunkin' Donut on the board when the clock hits triple zero!!!
Saban was not really happy with the run block effort at half but it's a very small complaint from me. I agree it looks like they wanted to work the young WRs

1 TO left with under 4:00 left down by 11. Is punting the ball away your best chance of winning? Something tells me ND is playing for cosmetics.

I was surprised they were punting. Keep in mind, another Ohio St TD would have covered the spread.

No, he really isn't. He isn't the worst, but he is wildly inconsistent, misses open guys A LOT, and make a lot of bad decisions. That this turned out well for him after he tried to give it away speaks more to how inexplicably soft Purdue's defense played that final drive rather than Clifford's genius under center. The guy is mediocre.

i stand by what I said about Clifford which if you look again is actually not a huge endorsement. Most college QBs are terrible. Clifford has his faults but right now just in the Big Ten, half the teams would gladly take Clifford as their QB, nevermind the whole FBS. He’s good. He’s not great. He has terrible pocket awareness and bad mechanics. But he does make plays. He is mentally tough.

I have a feeling that Drew Allar will be starting before end of season. He only had a 6 snaps but in that short sample you saw the talent. He does have great pocket awareness and bought time in the pocket while staying calm and looking downfield and delivering a good throw. His best play was an incompletion he threw a perfect pass in a tight widow that was dropped.

Penn State and the Steelers are in a similar boat. Young future QB waiting in the wings and a suspect OL. When do you play him? I think the answer to both is not until the OL proves it can protect him.

One guy to keep an eye on for next year's draft is Tommy Eichenberg the LBer for Ohio State. NFL blood lines check, solid run defender check, sack capable check, sound assignment capable check. Obviously he has a season for his stock to rise or stay steady. But I think the kid is going to be a safe solid selection. Low bust potential

One guy to keep an eye on for next year's draft is Tommy Eichenberg the LBer for Ohio State. NFL blood lines check, solid run defender check, sack capable check, sound assignment capable check. Obviously he has a season for his stock to rise or stay steady. But I think the kid is going to be a safe solid selection. Low bust potential
Two things I think I think about this.
1. It seems that the Steelers are not scouting/drafting tOSU players as hotly as they did in the past. They were one of only five NFL teams to not have a scout at last night's game.
2. If they were to take a tOSU ILB, Steele Chambers may grow into a better one than Eichenberg. He's better in coverage now and has more speed. Like our man Robinson, he's a former RB. The difference is that Chambers will have two years experience playing LB under his belt. He made the switch from RB to LB last year during fall camp and quickly picked up the position; earning more and more playing time until he was starting by the end of the season.

I was surprised they were punting. Keep in mind, another Ohio St TD would have covered the spread.
I think It was an attempt to keep the margin of loss low so ND looks better when the committee is deciding who gets playoff spots. Thats corrupt. Winning should always be the objective.

Two things I think I think about this.
1. It seems that the Steelers are not scouting/drafting tOSU players as hotly as they did in the past. They were one of only five NFL teams to not have a scout at last night's game.
2. If they were to take a tOSU ILB, Steele Chambers may grow into a better one than Eichenberg. He's better in coverage now and has more speed. Like our man Robinson, he's a former RB. The difference is that Chambers will have two years experience playing LB under his belt. He made the switch from RB to LB last year during fall camp and quickly picked up the position; earning more and more playing time until he was starting by the end of the season.

My biggest concern here is WHY didn't the STEELERS have a scout there. That is a department that I think is sub-par with what is happening on our talent evaluation. There is a reason why teams's have their scouts there and justified as to the number of NFL teams there.

SteelBuckeye, thanks for the analogy.

Salute the nation

Nice analogy slash, thank you.

It's funny how that works, you have a nice knack for determining players to watch where-as I just liked the sound of his name thus I zero-ed in on him for a few shoet plays. I only got to watch about 10-15 minutes of the game, same for the UH game but only 5 minutes or so.

Salute the nation