• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coolie Pimps UH Coogs

Instead we called up Body Catch Hamilton... Ugh he sucked...

I remember he caught a VERY much needed TD in a game and a lot of fans thought he was the best.

A-couple-ish games later, Vance McDonald made that huge stiff arm TD, showing how physical he can be.

A game or two later Hamilton made a catch at near the goal line and tried to take the defensive guy on high….. to blow him up and it backfired. Hamilton fumbled, a costly (i think through the end-zone) mistake changing immediate dynamics of the game. Had he just went low, TD. His show boating sucked.

Salute the nation

Literally could not catch a football without it hitting his body. Worst hand mechanics since Sweed.
Had more touchdowns that Sweed. I don’t care how he caught it. As long as he caught it.

Although his career was short. He did have some deep threat ability for his time

Cobi Hamilton
1yr with PITTSBURGH 2016

11 games / 28 target, 17 catch, 238 yards. /. 2 TD

Limas Sweed
2yr Pittsburgh 2008 / 2009

20 games / 15 target, 7 catch, 69 yards. /. 0 TD

Sweed had many issues along the way. Mostly head to mechanical operation.

Salute the nation

Had more touchdowns that Sweed. I don’t care how he caught it. As long as he caught it.

Although his career was short. He did have some deep threat ability for his time
Comparing anyone to Sweed, they are going to be better. Though I'm strictly talking about hand mechanics: a receiver's hand placement when catching footballs. Hamilton's hand was his chest...

Comparing anyone to Sweed, they are going to be better. Though I'm strictly talking about hand mechanics: a receiver's hand placement when catching footballs. Hamilton's hand was his chest...
That’s fine. He caught them when they went his way. I don’t get too caught up in mechanics when it comes to team sports. If it’s powerlifting etc that’s a different story.

Cobi wasn’t good but wasn’t bad

That’s fine. He caught them when they went his way. I don’t get too caught up in mechanics when it comes to team sports. If it’s powerlifting etc that’s a different story.

Cobi wasn’t good but wasn’t bad

I had it but didn’t post either’s attempt to catch ratio percentage. Obviously Hamilton’s was better but if his technique would have been better, who knows, but he may have been able to catch on longer here……. Inj the NFL.

About the time Cobie or just before / after him, came to the team…….

Stryker, back then known as Cope, had a great post about hand placement and combat catches. It was very informative and made a lot of sense back then.

I’m always in need of information and appreciate most for it, including your post(s) along the way.

Salute the nation

I had it but didn’t post either’s attempt to catch ratio percentage. Obviously Hamilton’s was better but if his technique would have been better, who knows, but he may have been able to catch on longer here……. Inj the NFL.

About the time Cobie or just before / after him, came to the team…….

Stryker, back then known as Cope, had a great post about hand placement and combat catches. It was very informative and made a lot of sense back then.

I’m always in need of information and appreciate most for it, including your post(s) along the way.

Salute the nation
Well in Stryker’s defense and in a contradictory way. Strong hands, combat catches etc are a strong suit for physical receivers. Especially if you’re a taller receiver. Sticking out your arms, with a db blanketing you gives the technical aspect of the game +1.

However some receivers do use their body. Cobi’s highlights shows a decent amount of deep passes. At the time it was a nice addition for Ben to chuck it deep and take pressure off his other weapons.

Cobi wasn’t necessarily lighting the league on fire, but for his very brief time in Pittsburgh I feel he did alright

There is a reason why Cobi only started 9 games in the league for 3 different teams in 3 straight years. He couldn't catch the ball consistently.

He was a good route runner, and a good blocker. He wasn't overly fast and lacked big separation, but oddly was better in short area routes than most of our Z receivers (who's job it is to stretch the field by getting open deep).

If you want to just look at the stats, he was not good. 9 starts and 242 yards? That's just under 27 yards per start. If you divide that amount by total games played, you get just over 17 yards in 14 games.

If you have bad hand mechanics as a WR, you don't last long in this league. Body catches are necessary at times, and there is nothing wrong with utiliizing it in certain situations. The problem comes when it is the main way you catch a football, it is much easier for a DB to defend you, as opposed to trying to reach the ball when your hands are stretched out in front of you (since DBs attack from the trail position).

If you want to review my breakdown of his highlights from 2017, you can review it here: https://www.steelernation.com/anatomy-wr-cobi-hamilton

Coolie, I'll do breakdowns this year, but probably in videos, because it was a ton of writing. I also used to break down this team's receivers each year, so I can get back into that as well.

Last edited:
There is a reason why Cobi only started 9 games in the league for 3 different teams in 3 straight years. He couldn't catch the ball consistently.

He was a good route runner, and a good blocker. He wasn't overly fast and lacked big separation, but oddly was better in short area routes than most of our Z receivers (who's job it is to stretch the field by getting open deep).

If you want to just look at the stats, he was not good. 9 starts and 242 yards? That's just under 27 yards per start. If you divide that amount by total games played, you get just over 17 yards in 14 games.

If you have bad hand mechanics as a WR, you don't last long in this league. Body catches are necessary at times, and there is nothing wrong with utiliizing it in certain situations. The problem comes when it is the main way you catch a football, it is much easier for a DB to defend you, as opposed to trying to reach the ball when your hands are stretched out in front of you (since DBs attack from the trail position).

If you want to review my breakdown of his highlights from 2017, you can review it here: https://www.steelernation.com/anatomy-wr-cobi-hamilton

Coolie, I'll do breakdowns this year, but probably in videos, because it was a ton of writing. I also used to break down this team's receivers each year, so I can get back into that as well.

GREAT post Stryker, I for one look forward to those break-downs as always.

A lot of the “body” catchers have that tendency to put a little ”jump” in the catch as well. The jump can be anticipated by the DB (even high-school db’s) and blow the WR up as much easier to defend knowing that.

Cobi had that little jump thing going at times as well.

Salute the nation

His stint in Pittsburgh is all that I see lol. He didn’t light up the stat board but he was decent enough for his time.

Stop being scared to write. Lol.
Coolie says he sees too much of you in videos.

*disclaimer - Coolie didn’t say that. MTC is just directing the blame. It’s all DIC’s fault*

Houston Pro Day numbers

I really like the numbers Derek Parish put up. He played on the edge for the Coogs and had 5.5 sacks against Texas Tech with a huge bandage on his right hand before tearing his bicep the next week and missing the rest of the season

6' 241
37" Vertical
27 reps on the bench
4.56 4 tme
4.09 shuttle
6.76 3-cone drill

he went to the Shrine bowl and only played at FB and special teams If he i sitting there when the Steelers are picking in the 7th...he could be worth a flier

Houston Pro Day numbers

I really like the numbers Derek Parish put up. He played on the edge for the Coogs and had 5.5 sacks against Texas Tech with a huge bandage on his right hand before tearing his bicep the next week and missing the rest of the season

6' 241
37" Vertical
27 reps on the bench
4.56 4 tme
4.09 shuttle
6.76 3-cone drill

he went to the Shrine bowl and only played at FB and special teams If he i sitting there when the Steelers are picking in the 7th...he could be worth a flier

As good as any 7th, thanks for the write up Coolie.!

Salute the nation

Derek Parish returned from his bicep tear, looking bigger and more ripped than ever. He ran a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash and benched 225 lbs 27 times, four more than any other player. He also took reps catching passes as a receiver and tight end and then spent time long snapping to Bubba Baxa. Parish talked about being willing to do anything to catch on with a team. Dana Holgorsen and Brian Early raved about his commitment to the team and his overall leadership.

In what round do you see D. Parish being drafted????

Salute the nation

Coolie, he won’t make it the 7th round.

If he does, I’d take him in heartbeat.

Now if we somehow end up with a sixth…….. take him

Salute the nation

N ice finds Coolie, thanks for posting them !!!

Salute the nation