• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

COVID VACCINATION

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I know this may not seem like Politics/Religion, but I think it may spark the same kind of hard stances.....

I’m not looking for politics in your answers. I’m looking for facts and logic. Just trying to see where everyone stands on getting the COVID vaccine, or those who already have/already know they won’t.
I like making informed decisions. Right now, I’m leaning towards not taking it from everything I’ve read and everything I’ve personally seen.
Help me, Obi-Wan Nation. You’re my only hope.

I got mine a month ago. So far, so good.

A lady I work with got it at the same time I did. She was telling me today that she got a blood test for something or other last week and they told her that her blood showed antibodies for Covid.....meaning the shot did what it was supposed to in other words.

Had my first Moderna shot and was sick in bed for 12 hours. Doc says that means I likely had Covid already and had the anti bodies. Still planning on getting my second shot on the 10th. I am a firm believer in everything I have read and studied about the process. I did lots of homework and looked at the real stats in depth. Everyone should d o the same and make up their own minds. Don't listen to conspiracy crap from either side.

Got my first Moderna a week ago. Sore arm that's it. My college age kids had symptoms ranging from sore arm to fever for a day. I know many people who are fully vaccinated now and none who had anything worse than a fever and feeling ****** for a day or two.

How old are you? What's your health like? Are you overweight, have diabetes or any other underlying conditions? If you're older and have any of those conditions your risks from getting covid are likely much higher than from getting the vaccine. If you're young, at a healthy weight and basically healthy overall you could probably take your chances with covid. My son is 4 months after his infection and still hasn't completely recovered his taste and smell. He has them, they're just still dulled. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, I know he would have rather avoided it if possible. I know other people who have had long term effects from covid too, including one young healthy woman who still has shortness of breath and on an inhaler months after the fact. Anecdotal I know, but a lot of people don't really trust the statistics so this is real world experience.

My kids all got the vaccine because we figure it's going to be required at their colleges anyway. if you plan on doing international travel it's a given you're going to need it. My guess is many businesses, concert and sports venues etc. will eventually require it. And personally I just really want this covid **** to be over and if more people don't get it we're going to have masks and restrictions into infinity.

Consider your sources and don't buy into all of the crazy anti-vaxxer stuff out there. Realize that millions of people have gotten this vaccine and there will be people who get various conditions within days of getting a vaccine. That's just how math works and is not necessarily evidence of a causal relationship. You really have to look at things that are happening at a higher rate than in the general population. VAERS reports of adverse events are not lists of "things caused by the vaccine". They are any reported symptom by anyone within days or weeks of getting the vaccine. If I go to Disneyworld and two days later I get shingles, it doesn't necessarily mean my shingles were caused by going to Disneyworld. It means I'm one of the million people who get shingles every year.

I trust the clinical trial data as I know a couple of people who work in that industry and one who worked on covid vaccine development. They are not trying to scam us or poison us as people on the internet will assert.

From everything I've read an anaphylactic reaction is the main known adverse effect. If you have severe allergies I'd reconsider for now, even though they watch for anaphylaxis and generally are able to successfully treat it.

I've never had a flu shot in my life. I don't get the flu. I am not inclined to take the shot unless I am forced to. Most folks I know get sick for a day or so with a sore arm.

I am counting on plenty of willing participants to get the shot so I don't have to.

For those of you who did the research and felt comfortable with the shot, what are some of your sources? My wife did research and she came to the opposite conclusion. It freaked her out in fact. I need to dedicate some time in researching it myself.

Getting my second Moderna shot tonight. If I wasn't diabetic I'd go without and take my chances. Arm was sore for a day and a half after the first one. My sister said she was sick for a day after her second shot but my brother-in-law had no ill effects.

For those of you who did the research and felt comfortable with the shot, what are some of your sources? My wife did research and she came to the opposite conclusion. It freaked her out in fact. I need to dedicate some time in researching it myself.
1. Family doctor who recommended I get it since I have the Beetus. I'm not more likely to get Covid but it would be harder for me to recover if I did.
2. Bud of mine in Florida who is the same age (60) and has no pre-existing conditions got the 'Rona and was in the hospital for three weeks and almost died.

had 1st Moderna a bit over 2 weeks ago..no problem ..that I know of but I did get shot in same arm I have a torn rotator cuff so that arm is always in pain. 2nd 1 set for May 6th. I'm almost 63 took my 1st flu shot this year. My main concern was protecting my 2 month old granddaughter . I am a firm believer in rub some dirt on it, but with my age and a baby around I just felt it was worth the extra protection.

Had both Pfizer shots back in Jan/Feb. Arm pain only on the first shot, second shot fatigue, Muscle aches, headache, low grade fever X 24 hours.

I'm 60 years old with crazy high blood pressure, I take three different medications for it. I am about 35 pounds over weight and smoke. I got the covid back in July last year. I lost my smell and taste, heart beat funny for a few day and had to take a nap every fifteen minutes. It lasted exactly 14 days and I was pretty much back to go. I still need the naps but that's because I'm old and retired. I never went to the hospital.

My wife tried to get the covid at the same time I had it but didn't. she ate off my plate drank out of my cup and slept in the same bed, went went for rides and she kissed me. ten times a day yet didn't get it. about three months after I got over it she ended up getting it, our Dr put her on the covid meds and she only felt bad for three or four days. My wife is also 60 but the picture of health, not over weight no smoking and no medical issues.

If covid is so contagious why did she not get it from me. we have both decided we will not get the shot, but for us its more of a **** you to the man than anything else. I just don't buy into what the government is selling about anything to do with covid and I am not comfortable about what the long term side effect could be. there just hasn'tbeen enough time to figure all this mess out.

SO I'm in my 40s.
I'm in decent shape. Not the three sport athlete I was in high school kind of shape, but I only/mostly eat proteins and vegetables and do yoga, play some hockey/golf a few times a year.
No underlying health issues like Wilford Brimley's diabeetus.
I am NOT an antivaccer.
My concern is all of these vaccines are NOT approved. They are EUA'd ( Emergency Use Authorization ). There is a big difference.
Typically, vaccines undergo 5-10 years of approval process. There's YEARS of clinical trials.
These didn't undergo that process. We don't know long term effects, if any.
And the numbers, meaning those who contracted and those who have died from contracting, using the official numbers, is less than 3% worldwide, and almost all of the deaths have been elderly with comorbidities.
I don't know. It doesn't seem as big of a deal like tetanus or even the flu, and I have never received a flu shot. I get my tetanus booster every 10 years or so, though.
I just don't want to be watching TV (or whatever ) in 10 years and hear/see, "Did you or a loved one take the _________ COVID Vaccine? You may be entitled to a cash settlement."
Although, you can't sue vaccine companies anyways. LOL. But you know what I mean. That they're going to discover something later on.
Lastly, one of the ingredients of all the vaccines is ethylene oxide, which is a known carcinogenic to humans.

I'm 60 years old with crazy high blood pressure, I take three different medications for it. I am about 35 pounds over weight and smoke. I got the covid back in July last year. I lost my smell and taste, heart beat funny for a few day and had to take a nap every fifteen minutes. It lasted exactly 14 days and I was pretty much back to go. I still need the naps but that's because I'm old and retired. I never went to the hospital.

My wife tried to get the covid at the same time I had it but didn't. she ate off my plate drank out of my cup and slept in the same bed, went went for rides and she kissed me. ten times a day yet didn't get it. about three months after I got over it she ended up getting it, our Dr put her on the covid meds and she only felt bad for three or four days. My wife is also 60 but the picture of health, not over weight no smoking and no medical issues.

If covid is so contagious why did she not get it from me. we have both decided we will not get the shot, but for us its more of a **** you to the man than anything else. I just don't buy into what the government is selling about anything to do with covid and I am not comfortable about what the long term side effect could be. there just hasn'tbeen enough time to figure all this mess out.
Yup. He is a Steelers fan

I've had both my 1st and 2nd Pfizer shots. The only thing I noticed was the arm soreness and about 2 hours after my 1st shot I felt a little spacey.

I got my second Pfizer shot almost a month ago now. Absolutely no side effects, not even a sore arm.

I'll turn 70 in the fall, beat the big C about 5 years ago, so I decided it was the right decision for me. If I were a healthy 30 year old, I would weigh the pluses and minuses.

I'm waiting for the Novavax vaccine. I question the non-FDA approved Moderna, Pfizer, J&J vaccines.

Novavax's coronavirus vaccine, called NVX-CoV2373, differs from the three vaccines already being distributed in the United States. The vaccine relies on what is called recombinant nanoparticle technology and Novavax's adjuvant, called Matrix-M, to stimulate an immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies.

When the genetic sequence for the coronavirus was published, Novavax scientists identified the gene for the spike protein and created a modified version of that gene. The researchers cloned the genes into a baculovirus that infects insects. They then infected moth cells -- specifically, cells from the fall armyworm insect -- with that virus, prompting them to produce the coronavirus spike protein.

These virus-like nanoparticles were harvested to make Novavax's vaccine.

"The whole idea of the vaccine is to show the immune system something that looks, tastes and acts like a virus, with the exception that it doesn't make you sick. So we made the spike protein. We put it in a particle -- basically, like a soap bubble -- and it's the size of the virus," Glenn said.

"It's not infectious. We never touch the coronavirus itself," he added. "Then that is given to people, and they make an immune response that's very much focused just on the spike -- and I would say, the hallmark of our vaccine is it gives a very strong immune response with very few side effects, and the dose is very small and the vaccine can be stored with normal refrigerated temperatures."

That's different from the Covid-19 vaccines made using messenger RNA carried in fatty particles called lipids. They're more fragile and must be kept frozen.

I'm waiting for the Novavax vaccine. I question the non-FDA approved Moderna, Pfizer, J&J vaccines.

Novavax's coronavirus vaccine, called NVX-CoV2373, differs from the three vaccines already being distributed in the United States. The vaccine relies on what is called recombinant nanoparticle technology and Novavax's adjuvant, called Matrix-M, to stimulate an immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies.

When the genetic sequence for the coronavirus was published, Novavax scientists identified the gene for the spike protein and created a modified version of that gene. The researchers cloned the genes into a baculovirus that infects insects. They then infected moth cells -- specifically, cells from the fall armyworm insect -- with that virus, prompting them to produce the coronavirus spike protein.

These virus-like nanoparticles were harvested to make Novavax's vaccine.

"The whole idea of the vaccine is to show the immune system something that looks, tastes and acts like a virus, with the exception that it doesn't make you sick. So we made the spike protein. We put it in a particle -- basically, like a soap bubble -- and it's the size of the virus," Glenn said.

"It's not infectious. We never touch the coronavirus itself," he added. "Then that is given to people, and they make an immune response that's very much focused just on the spike -- and I would say, the hallmark of our vaccine is it gives a very strong immune response with very few side effects, and the dose is very small and the vaccine can be stored with normal refrigerated temperatures."

That's different from the Covid-19 vaccines made using messenger RNA carried in fatty particles called lipids. They're more fragile and must be kept frozen.
Or the Sinovac version, which is the "old fashion way" of using dead versions of the actual virus cells.

Yeah I did the experimental Vax thing in the Army 20 years ago. I will pass on that for a virus that has a .03 percent chance of killing you.

As long as nobody requires me to sign a liability waiver, no problem.

If they ask for a waiver, I will simply state I would like the vaccination but am disinclined to sign a waiver. If they are refusing to provide the immunization, please provide documentation as to why I am not a valid candidate for the shot.

Easy peasy.

Yeah I did the experimental Vax thing in the Army 20 years ago. I will pass on that for a virus that has a .03 percent chance of killing you.
Aaaaaand you won't be able to travel within 1 year, perhaps 2. Count on it. Immunity Passports will become a real thing. It won't be "legally" mandated, but all major commercial travel industries will require it per their internal policies. In return, they will likely receive incentivization from the corrupt gubmint.

This practice will extend to entertainment avenues. You know where you WON'T be required to show an immunity passport? In the election lines.

It ain't happening in the DJ household. I posted a link to a good article in the covid thread. Read it.

Reactions: wig
Got a flu shot one time over 20 years ago and got sick as a dog. I haven't gotten a shot since and other than colds and some allergies I've been pretty healthy. I wouldn't trust the gubmint to watch my goldfish for a half hour much less inject something into my body. I'll take my chances with my immune system.