• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

DAY 2 LIVE UP TO THE MINUTE DRAFT THREAD

Next year the only two CBs we would have had under contract were Patrick Peterson, who is going to be 34 years old, Tre Norwood, who isn’t an outside CB, and JPjr might be ready to start, but he is absolutely not a sure thing… so a second CB is a smart grab
At the very least, we can look at it as possibly replacing Pierre with a guy with more speed, better change of direction and more upside. Viewed in that light, what's not to like?

He was absolutely one of the top guys on my board since day 2, I was shocked he was there still all through day 3, and I was surprised we took him because I wasn't sure they would take another big long press corner but I'm guessing like others he was simply the best guy on their board for several rounds and couldn't pass up that kind of value and potential
Listening to the coaches, it sounds like they want big guys at the line to bump guys off their routes or slow them down so the pass rush can get there. This is totally different than the 10-yard cushions we are used to seeing.

Next year the only two CBs we would have had under contract were Patrick Peterson, who is going to be 34 years old, Tre Norwood, who isn’t an outside CB, and JPjr might be ready to start, but he is absolutely not a sure thing… so a second CB is a smart grab
CB was the one position I could easily see them double-dipping although I thought they'd get one big guy and one smaller, faster guy to play in the slot.

CB was the one position I could easily see them double-dipping although I thought they'd get one big guy and one smaller, faster guy to play in the slot.
They brought a free agent vet during the draft to bring competition to the slot..

Listening to the coaches, it sounds like they want big guys at the line to bump guys off their routes or slow them down so the pass rush can get there. This is totally different than the 10-yard cushions we are used to seeing.
Maybe they finally realized that you can't give Ja'Marr Chase a free release at the line fo scrimmage.

I like the pressure at the line. Hated that 10 yard cushion LeBeau was so famous for. Marcia ate us up with it.

Slowing the receiver down gives the rush that much more chance.

Hoping this team performs. There is reason to like our talent.

They brought a free agent vet during the draft to bring competition to the slot..
He looks like a camp body. I could be wrong there but he certainly doesn't seem like he would have more to offer than Maulet.

Not really related to this draft, but does anyone know if TMC still does his draft guide? I know he rarely posts anymore, if at all, for years, but I really liked reading his write ups on the draft.

Not really related to this draft, but does anyone know if TMC still does his draft guide? I know he rarely posts anymore, if at all, for years, but I really liked reading his write ups on the draft.
I don't think so. I float a question to him here and there but don't think he had/has the time to do it.

TMC was ahead of his time in many ways. If the website/video tools were available back then, he probably could've made it pretty big as an independent draft analyst. There are so many out there now, including a lot of team-centric draft analysts. It's fantastic for the consumer.

TMC was ahead of his time in many ways. If the website/video tools were available back then, he probably could've made it pretty big as an independent draft analyst. There are so many out there now, including a lot of team-centric draft analysts. It's fantastic for the consumer.
100 miss the guys knowledge. I know he got into it with someone here but dont remember the details

Oh I was all about double dipping at CB, for the same reason you mentioned, I was expecting they'd target a versatile inside/outside capable CB in the mold of Sutton. But I loved Trice so no complaints from me, just Was expecting the Steelers to not target him after getting JPJr. I love this pick

Instead of every first round pick getting a fifth year option, in the next CBA rewrite they should make it one fifth year option per team per year like the franchise tag… but it should escalate as it goes lower in the rounds to compensate underpaid low round picks that end up stars…

Now this is interesting 🧐. I kinda like it!

100 miss the guys knowledge. I know he got into it with someone here but don't remember the details
Cooch was one of them. He babbled on and on didn't watch a lick of tape but always had a debate. When you put in a **** ton of work and an ignorant window licker debates you over and over again it can be tiring.

Some of it was he wanted to spend more time with family as this particular hobby can really be time consuming.

But yeah a damn good solid draftnik.

Last edited:
I think JPJ will likely be a Day 1 starter. Jones I'd say is 50-50. It would be no small feat for a 22 year old to start immediately at LT. I think at some point he will be starting this season.

You mean like Dan Moore did? After being the 128th player taken in the draft?

I think Jones, a guy they traded up to get at #14, has a much better than 50% shot to start.

It's about time.

It's about time.
Yep. Attack the trenches. The change in philosophy I have to say is very welcomed. I know who set the board, but I am curious who initially brought about the change. Rooney? Omar? Andy?

Whoever it was...

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steelernation

Yep. Attack the trenches. The change in philosophy I have to say is very welcomed. I know who set the board, but I am curious who initially brought about the change. Rooney? Omar? Andy?

Whoever it was...

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Steelernation
they finally called and asked my opinion

You mean like Dan Moore did? After being the 128th player taken in the draft?

I think Jones, a guy they traded up to get at #14, has a much better than 50% shot to start.
To be fair, moore didn’t have competition… Villenueva Left in free agency and Zach Banner’s knees crapped out in the preseason… it was basically between him and chucks at lt with the loser going to rt…

Moore might not be great, but he is starting level in the NFL… Im sure Jones will overtake him within the season, but letting him learn the scheme and speed of the game instead if tossing him to the wolves is probably ok

To be fair, moore didn’t have competition… Villenueva Left in free agency and Zach Banner’s knees crapped out in the preseason… it was basically between him and chucks at lt with the loser going to rt…

Moore might not be great, but he is starting level in the NFL… Im sure Jones will overtake him within the season, but letting him learn the scheme and speed of the game instead if tossing him to the wolves is probably ok
If you think 7 sacks allowed and 5 holding penalties is starting level quality, then Dan Moore is your man.

Jones is a plug-and-play starter who can work out his few shortcomings on the job while he's gaining valuable experience.

If you think 7 sacks allowed and 5 holding penalties is starting level quality, then Dan Moore is your man.

Jones is a plug-and-play starter who can work out his few shortcomings on the job while he's gaining valuable experience.
and working against cam and highsmith in practice cant hurt
````

Maybe they finally realized that you can't give Ja'Marr Chase a free release at the line fo scrimmage.
Or that giving up 5 yards on third and 4 is a first down.

they finally called and asked my opinion

Omar: "Mr. Coolie, Omar Khan here. I'd like to talk to you about ..."

Coolie: "Goddammit, I told you draft Ed Oliver!"

Omar: "I wasn't the GM, and he was drafted before ..."

Coolie: "And you also let Logan Hall just zip past you!"

Omar: "We needed a QB ..."

Coolie: "So let me tell you about a weapon. A Tank, if you will. You need to ..."

Click.

Omar: "Mr. Coolie, Omar Khan here. I'd like to talk to you about ..."

Coolie: "Goddammit, I told you draft Ed Oliver!"

Omar: "I wasn't the GM, and he was drafted before ..."

Coolie: "And you also let Logan Hall just zip past you!"

Omar: "We needed a QB ..."

Coolie: "So let me tell you about a weapon. A Tank, if you will. You need to ..."

Click.
Omar did ask me about a QB....but the Steelers did not have a 5th rounder to get him

and Tank went before they got to pick in the 3rd, OMar wasn't happy that is why they traded back so they could think a bit more

he was also pissed that Parrish went one pick ahead of their first 7th rounder

still funny as hell though

Has anyone mentioned (sorry in advance) that Patrick Peterson will have played with both Porter Sr. (Cardinals) and Jr.. Read that yesterday somewhere.