• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Deebo not a Tomlin fan?

I agree with James 100% here. He’s an average coach whose teams perform average. Finish in the middle, draft in the middle, stay in the middle.
Never a losing season. Greatest coach ever.

Lets give Deebo the credit for a solo sack on that!!

A-N-D

Of course the customary fine to go with that, "thanks "the rog" for holding back my super-sonic career" James Harrison

Salute the nation

To me this all starts with the third generation Rooney. He’s a businessman and not a real football man like his father who lived and breathed Steeler football. Art has become complacent and frankly Lazy to some extent. He’s comfortable with Tomlin as his HC and gives him far more credit and autonomy than he should have. He’s average and the team has become average year in and year out. Art won’t hold him accountable since he thinks he’s got a top five coach that everyone desires. The only good assistants we’ve had in his 16 years have either been holdovers from Cowher, Todd Haley whom Rooney hired, and Mike Munchack and Brian Flores whom Tomlin gets the credit for. Two guys in sixteen years.

I think the only people calling Tomlin a great coach are those who feel obligated to do so by something other than his accomplishments.
I'm not calling Tomlin great. But, I think that some people focus a little too much on passive-aggressively bringing things "other than his accomplishments" into the discussion. Those folks who do so should probably just say what they're talking about and stand by the courage of their convictions rather than beating around the bush.
I'll start. I wouldn't care if the next coach of the Steelers was of Latino-Asian-Arabic descent and identified as a binary as long as they could coach and bring this team championships.
*I said what I said.

I agree with James 100% here. He’s an average coach whose teams perform average. Finish in the middle, draft in the middle, stay in the middle.
As long as he keeps just getting by and people are in the stands.

It's all about the song below and has been like that for many, many years. And, it will keep happening. I looked at Robert Kraft in a camera shot of our last game and thought to myself - "What's it like to be THAT wealthy?"

I'm not calling Tomlin great. But, I think that some people focus a little too much on passive-aggressively bringing things "other than his accomplishments" into the discussion. Those folks who do so should probably just say what they're talking about and stand by the courage of their convictions rather than beating around the bush.
I'll start. I wouldn't care if the next coach of the Steelers was of Latino-Asian-Arabic descent and identified as a binary as long as they could coach and bring this team championships.
*I said what I said.
As long as the next coach can focus on fundamental things that restore the franchise to actual glory (winning in the playoffs and at least actually being competitive for the championship) I’m a supporter

To add to that I’m not opposed to Tomlin being that guy either…I’m strictly results oriented and spoiled to death by the early years of my fandom having so damn much success. A high standard was set and I’m kinda stuck in my ways to that still being the standard.

To me this all starts with the third generation Rooney. He’s a businessman and not a real football man like his father who lived and breathed Steeler football. Art has become complacent and frankly Lazy to some extent. He’s comfortable with Tomlin as his HC and gives him far more credit and autonomy than he should have. He’s average and the team has become average year in and year out. Art won’t hold him accountable since he thinks he’s got a top five coach that everyone desires. The only good assistants we’ve had in his 16 years have either been holdovers from Cowher, Todd Haley whom Rooney hired, and Mike Munchack and Brian Flores whom Tomlin gets the credit for. Two guys in sixteen years.
Wow, some revisionist theories being floated about Rooney. So Chin didn’t get the same treatment from Dan? He only predicated his wishes from the outset, let him cut a 1st round draft pick (Richardson). Top it off, canned the GM over keeping the HC, even though Cowher was coming off back to back losing seasons. Yeah, Art2 is pretty lazy and complacent, only he’s been president of the team since 2003 making all the organization and business decisions since 2004 when Dan was pushed up by Goodell to several NFL committees (Rooney Rule was most famous) in addition to having to completely re-address the franchise’s ownership percentages because of the new gambling inter-relationship rule that was enforced. After buying out his brothers stakes, he and Art2 were majority owners. Then the President tapped Dan as Ambassador to Ireland, which left all football operations de facto to Art2, including league matters. The only organization issues Dan were involved include hiring Tomlin and AGREEING with Art2 that the OC either had to change the offensive philosophy to protect the QB or find another OC. Dan was letting Art2 handle pretty much everything so Dan could enjoy his Emeritus status. But, sure feel free to post your passive/aggressive dislike for Tomlin as the HC. Does Art2 have decisions to make? Oh yeah, unless this offense suddenly explodes and average 30/ game, Canada will not be retained like Arians wasn’t. There will be OC search, etc….

*I said what I said.
“I wouldn’t care AS LONG AS they could bring a championship” So, otherwise you would care?

People who refuse to be critical of Tomlin and see him as a GREAT coach, must CARE about something other than his coaching accomplishments. Obviously.

It's telling that media pundits never mention how great of a coach he is, or how many SB's he's won, or anything like that...
It's always ' he's never had a losing season'.
That's like not telling a girl she's pretty, just telling her she's not ugly.

Wow, some revisionist theories being floated about Rooney. So Chin didn’t get the same treatment from Dan? He only predicated his wishes from the outset, let him cut a 1st round draft pick (Richardson). Top it off, canned the GM over keeping the HC, even though Cowher was coming off back to back losing seasons. Yeah, Art2 is pretty lazy and complacent, only he’s been president of the team since 2003 making all the organization and business decisions since 2004 when Dan was pushed up by Goodell to several NFL committees (Rooney Rule was most famous) in addition to having to completely re-address the franchise’s ownership percentages because of the new gambling inter-relationship rule that was enforced. After buying out his brothers stakes, he and Art2 were majority owners. Then the President tapped Dan as Ambassador to Ireland, which left all football operations de facto to Art2, including league matters. The only organization issues Dan were involved include hiring Tomlin and AGREEING with Art2 that the OC either had to change the offensive philosophy to protect the QB or find another OC. Dan was letting Art2 handle pretty much everything so Dan could enjoy his Emeritus status. But, sure feel free to post your passive/aggressive dislike for Tomlin as the HC. Does Art2 have decisions to make? Oh yeah, unless this offense suddenly explodes and average 30/ game, Canada will not be retained like Arians wasn’t. There will be OC search, etc….
Art may have been president in 2003 but Dan was still there and his presence and influence was major. You could see the change in the expectations as Dan aged and took a lesser role with team and the team became Art’s exclusively.
Wasn’t trying to compare the two coaches but since you brought it up, I’ll take Cowher over cool shades every day. Losing seasons and all. Would have been interesting to see how Cowher would have done with a franchise QB his entire coaching tenure with the team like someone else we know the last 15 years.

It's all about the song below and has been like that for many, many years. And, it will keep happening. I looked at Robert Kraft in a camera shot of our last game and thought to myself - "What's it like to be THAT wealthy?"

Well it's like this....................

You could get busted for "happy endings" and still beat the rap.!!! MONEY entitlement.!

Salute the nation

Wait a minute. Who, outside of Pittsburgh, knew anything about James Harrison until Tomlin got to Pittsburgh? The most people knew about him was he was the guy who threw down that fan in Cleveland. It might not be too much of a stretch to say Harrison owes what his career became to Tomlin. I'd say he is being a little ungrateful.

This is also the same guy who most of you wouldn't have pissed on if he was on fire after he signed with the Patriots. I remember the board. You guys are like politicians...you hope most people forget.

Damn, you guys hate Tomlin so much you will grasp on to anything. It's almost pathological.

Art may have been president in 2003 but Dan was still there and his presence and influence was major. You could see the change in the expectations as Dan aged and took a lesser role with team and the team became Art’s exclusively.
Wasn’t trying to compare the two coaches but since you brought it up, I’ll take Cowher over cool shades every day. Losing seasons and all. Would have been interesting to see how Cowher would have done with a franchise QB his entire coaching tenure with the team like someone else we know the last 15 years.
Of course Dan was still there, he was technically still a face of the organization. But he was 70 years old and Art2 had been taking more and more duties until in 2003 when Dan ceded full day to day operations to him. At which time Dan did what his father did, met with players, coaches, staff, and all the personnel to enjoy the relationships he has made with the people there and assist his son when he asked. When Dan crashed his plane at Latrobe airport during the 2002 Training Camp, it is told that his wife gave him a earful that it’s time to start enjoying themselves with their grandchildren. Bouchette or Pruista even said Patricia had a frying pan in her hand when Dan arrived back from his crash (he was fine) to show how serious she was and for the scare he gave her. That is probably when the decision was put in motion.

As for how Cowher would have done with a franchise QB, this has been argued ad nauseam. Cowher’s never wanted a franchise QB, he had his QB with NOD, but unfortunately he took the money with the NYJ. Had he stayed, I’d contend Cowher probably would have made it back to the AFCC and have a better chance in a second SB. Cowher‘s offensive philosophy was the Perkins/Schottenheimer scheme of ball control rushing attack, with play action passing, win the game with defense. Since NOD left, Cowher had ample opportunities to get better than the Tomczak/Miller/Graham show before having some modicum of success with Kordell, until Cowher’s selection of OCs (Sherman, Gilbride) destroyed any hope with him being more than he was. He did later select Mularkey and then Whiz who used a insurance salesman/former journeyman to turn the offense into an aerial showcase first, then rushing attack to close out games. Then came Ben, who by the way, Cowher was not interested in selecting at first (Stacey Andrews was they player he wanted). It wasn’t until Dan who still sat in the War Room kept directing the discussion between Colbert and Cowher back to Ben, and passing up a QB (like he did with Marino haunted him) at such a high level pick may not be a smart decision for the future. The rest is history. Hell, even when Maddox got hurt and Ben started, Whiz kept him on a short leash - strict orders from Cowher so as to not deviate from the game plan. But he kept making great throws and had superb improv skills, that the leash had more slack by the time they were in the playoffs. So Cowher, was different, but had the same success as Tomlin has. Tomlin having Ben, makes no difference, because Chin didn’t think he needed a franchise QB. He DID think he needed a franchise RB and OL, and he routinely did get those players (Dawson, Bettis, Faneca, etc..) to facilitate his preferred offensive philosophy.