• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Documentary "White People" being shown to my 8th Grader

Buying in to education being the ticket out of poverty is crucial. It's also a hard sell because it's not easy, the fear of failure, lack of support and so many other things. Reaching the urban communities on this issue is paramount in my opinion to successfully solving this problem.

I hear you. Minority communities need to demand more of both their schools and their children though instead of putting down those who aspire to success as "acting white" or being a "sellout". When your culture demeans education and success then most of its members will remain stupid and poor. Oddly, if the Racist President Trump manages to get school choice through the Dept. of Education that will be the best thing that ever happened to these folks.

His choice to head up the Dept. of Education is very pro-school choice. It's making the teachers' and the unions' heads explode.

His choice to head up the Dept. of Education is very pro-school choice. It's making the teachers' and the unions' heads explode.

I don't know why. Most online charter schools make even below average school districts look like Harvard by comparison. Almost all of them are in it to make money and provide little service. Their clientele are 90% deadbeat parents who are running from Truancy charges because they can't make their kids attend school or the kid can't get along with anyone. The other 10% of charter school parents are sending their kids to a charter school hoping for an enriching educational experience. They are almost always disappointed. I cannot tell you how many kids have come running back to the public school after a year in a Charter school because their credits are in a complete shambles and they are no longer on track to graduate. The graduation rates of some of these schools is mind blowing. EDIT: Just looked it up....the average Graduation rate of online schools nation wide = 40%

Last edited:
I know a few people who teach in the Pittsburgh Public Schools. They are very dedicated and capable. They never complain about lack of resources, What they do complain about is the non-involvement by a considerable amount of parents in their kids education. School is nothing more than a babysitting location.

I know a few people who teach in the Pittsburgh Public Schools. They are very dedicated and capable. They never complain about lack of resources, What they do complain about is the non-involvement by a considerable amount of parents in their kids education. School is nothing more than a babysitting location.
I don't recall much parental involvement when I was in school. I don't buy that argument unless they are saying the kids are disrespectful and behave badly. It's not the parents job to make them good teachers, or do stupid projects that add no educative value, or do stupid parent homework. It is the parents job to make sure the kids do homework and help if they can.

I don't recall much parental involvement when I was in school. I don't buy that argument unless they are saying the kids are disrespectful and behave badly. It's not the parents job to make them good teachers, or do stupid projects that add no educative value, or do stupid parent homework. It is the parents job to make sure the kids do homework and help if they can.

I have a 10 year old, and he has homework every night. My wife ,or I, check it every night, and make sure he understands when he makes mistakes. We review his tests, and prepare him for tests. A parent of one of my kid's classmates teaches in a city school. She took her son's 3rd grade math test, and gave it to her 8th graders. Only two out of twenty passed. If my kid was in that school, I would make it my personal responsibilty to make sure he was able to pass his tests.That is what I mean by parental involvement,

I have a 10 year old, and he has homework every night. My wife ,or I, check it every night, and make sure he understands when he makes mistakes. We review his tests, and prepare him for tests. A parent of one of my kid's classmates teaches in a city school. She took her son's 3rd grade math test, and gave it to her 8th graders. Only two out of twenty passed. If my kid was in that school, I would make it my personal responsibilty to make sure he was able to pass his tests.That is what I mean by parental involvement,
Sounds like you would be a good teacher. The solution is better teaching/teachers, not having the parents do the teaching.

Sounds like you would be a good teacher. The solution is better teaching/teachers, not having the parents do the teaching.

I am very happy with my kid's school and teachers. I do not have the patience that his teachers have. Mu job is to stay on his ***.

He's talking about things like parents making their kids attend school on a regular basis, complete work on a regular basis and put forth effort on a regular basis. You'd be shocked at the amount of parents who have zero interest in any of those things. And then we are shocked when these same kids don't give **** one about doing anything in school.

This is the reason you have kids missing 35 days of school every year....because coming every day is not a priority at home and kids with 90% of their assignments not turned in....because it's not a priority at home.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my kid's school and teachers. I do not have the patience that his teachers have. Mu job is to stay on his ***.

I tell Lady Ironcity my job is to be in her......

The lack of parental involvement in my school is staggering. D's are the new A's.

The lack of parental involvement in my school is staggering. D's are the new A's.

It's the same here. It's so frustrating. A whole lot of people have no involvement and then want to complain about the things they don't agree with or like. Lazy and entitled is how I see those kind of parents.

It's the same here. It's so frustrating. A whole lot of people have no involvement and then want to complain about the things they don't agree with or like. Lazy and entitled is how I see those kind of parents.

Oooh same here too. And then at that. Parents don't give a ****. I kid you not. Our neighbor is never involved in her kid's life. She goes out every thursday, friday with her girls. Says she misses her baby but constantly drops him off at our house cause we are good neighbors like that. Just found out that she doesn't help her boy out with homework, nothing. Her sister baby sits the other days of the week and the sister doesn't even do nothing. I feel so bad for him. But that type of culture/mentality is common amongst lower class society

It's almost like society doesn't value traditional family values anymore. It's like, you know, the decline of a civilization, like what's happened over and over again when a society abandons a moral baseline. If only we could point back to all of the examples of that happening in the past, or just ******* read the writings of the Founders.

Sorry. I'm so sick of trying to argue first principles against everyday symptoms. **** all those parents you are talking about; and all the parents who don't feel any kind of basic responsibility as a citizen of this country, let alone as a person, which would lead them to be good parents. I don't get it, and I'm just ******* tired of hearing about it.

Sorry. I'm so sick of trying to argue first principles against everyday symptoms. **** all those parents you are talking about; and all the parents who don't feel any kind of basic responsibility as a citizen of this country, let alone as a person, which would lead them to be good parents. I don't get it, and I'm just ******* tired of hearing about it.

I always felt responsible but didn't know how to be involved and help. I didn't have many examples growing up to model myself after. One day I just decided to be a part of the solution rather than of the problem. The problem of being uninvolved in their school. Volunteering has bridged the gap and made me better person too.

I always felt responsible but didn't know how to be involved and help. I didn't have many examples growing up to model myself after. One day I just decided to be a part of the solution rather than of the problem. The problem of being uninvolved in their school. Volunteering has bridged the gap and made me better person too.
Props. Thanks.

Props. Thanks.

You're welcome and thank you. My youngest is a senior in high school. I am already thinking of ways to continue volunteering with kids. The people who made me feel smart and that I could achieve my goals were often school staff or volunteers. Even adults who are not family can make a kid see hope. That can be the spark that changes their life. "It takes a village" was sullied by Madame Clinton. The premise of community involvement was a good one. Her stamp on it wasn't good though. It became a trite meme of her legacy.

You're welcome and thank you. My youngest is a senior in high school. I am already thinking of ways to continue volunteering with kids. The people who made me feel smart and that I could achieve my goals were often school staff or volunteers. Even adults who are not family can make a kid see hope. That can be the spark that changes their life. "It takes a village" was sullied by Madame Clinton. The premise of community involvement was a good one. Her stamp on it wasn't good though. It became a trite meme of her legacy.
That is awesome. Have you thought about what creates a society that is so dependent on "the village", and why more families can't be like yours?

The men don't know, but the little girls understand. :) love me some Doors.

The Doors must haves loved them some Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf.

That is awesome. Have you thought about what creates a society that is so dependent on "the village", and why more families can't be like yours?
The increase in unwed motherhood is the main culprit. Irresponsible parenting by those not prepared to take on the responsibility, and the lack of positive role models. It is not an indictment of all single moms, but it is huge.

It's almost like society doesn't value traditional family values anymore. It's like, you know, the decline of a civilization, like what's happened over and over again when a society abandons a moral baseline. If only we could point back to all of the examples of that happening in the past, or just ******* read the writings of the Founders.

Trouble is, the schools don't teach the Founding Fathers anymore. And when they DO, it's incorrect. When I was in the elementary school here, (4th grade), the kids were taught that Life, Liberty, PROPERTY, and the Pursuit of Happiness were in the Constitution. And that was the ONE TIME a week they had Social Studies. So if the schools don't teach it, or if they teach an incorrect lesson, and the parents either don't know or don't care, how do we fix it?

The increase in unwed motherhood is the main culprit. Irresponsible parenting by those not prepared to take on the responsibility, and the lack of positive role models. It is not an indictment of all single moms, but it is huge.

They replaced fathers with a welfare check. Amazing how when you finance sloth and failure you get more of it isn't it?