• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Donnie Shell: From a “long shot” to the Hall of Fame

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What the Pittsburgh Steelers accomplished as a single draft group in 1974 is unprecedented and may never be repeated in the NFL. Since the inception of the NFL Draft in 1936, it remains the only draft class to attain 4 Hall of Fame players – and finally with the inclusion of rookie free agent Donnie Shell making it 5 –it’s unlikely this record will be broken.

Discovering Donnie Shell

The irony was that when Bill Nunn and Art Rooney Jr. (VP and head of Scouting at the time) made a stop at a South Carolina State Bulldogs game to scout another player. Even after being approached by Bulldogs coach Willie Jefferies to recommend Shell, Rooney wasn’t very interested in a linebacker who stood only 5’8”. However, Nunn was saw something special in the undersized LB that made him believe in his ability to eventually become a great safety.

When Shell’s name was not called after all 17 rounds had passed, he was discouraged. But the next day, Nunn called to offer Shell a contract. While the Denver Broncos and Houston Oilers also inquired, Shell followed the advice of Jefferies to go with Pittsburgh.

When Nunn informed Rooney Jr. that he signed Shell, Rooney Jr. at first didn’t even remember who he was. Nunn was insistent that he was extremely smart with a great attitude who would fit in great on special teams while he learned to transition to safety. Rooney Jr. would later say “Well, I wasn’t going to question Bill, he was doing so good.”

A local reporter did question Shell, who recalled the exchange: “Mr. Shell, are you aware that you’re a long shot to make this team?” Shell replied with a smile and said: “You must not be used to the South Carolina State tenacity.”

The tenacity showed with his strategy to earn a roster spot by doing everything in his control to be the best conditioned and well-prepared rookie. It paid off when Shell made the final roster.

A Discouraging Start

Shell was always a starter throughout his career as a high school and college athlete. He never had to sit on the bench. So, when he was relegated to limited duties, it began to frustrate him. As a rookie, Shell recalled his biggest issue transitioning to safety was his hands as he couldn’t make an interception. Shell recalled: “When I first came into the league, I couldn’t catch a cold, man. Things hit me in the hands, hit me in the helmet.” But he stayed after practice to work with John Stallworth and Lynn Swann to improve. However, it would be another Steelers legend who lifted him up the most when he needed it.

Let’s go out to lunch

Mel Blount had become the preeminent cornerback in the NFL by 1974 and took note of Shell. Blount recalled that “He never saw a guy play the special teams like him. I’ll never forget that he was getting a little down on himself on defense because he wanted to start.” Blount knew he had to had to talk to him not only because he knew what he meant to the team then but given time how good he would be.

Donnie Shell, per Ron Lippock – Steelers Takeaways: Player Memories Through The Decades:

I was becoming frustrated because I was not a starter. Mel Blount took me to dinner and let me know the team goal was to go to the Super Bowl and everyone had to do their job to accomplish this goal. He encouraged me that I was doing a great job and that my time would come to be a starter at my position. He made me recognize that no one individual was more important than the team and this advice came at a critical time in my career and gave me the right perspective.

Shell exceeded Blount’s expectations

Glen Edwards was a key component to the Steel Curtain defenses and Super Bowl Championships. He was voted team MVP in 1974, earned Pro Bowl honors in 1975 and 1976, 1st team All Pro in 1976 and established his place in Steelers lore with two key plays in the Super Bowl. The first was in Super Bowl IX and came in the form of the ferocious hit on Minnesota Vikings WR John Gilliam that resulted in the ball getting knocked into the air and into the awaiting arms of Blount for an interception on the Vikings only threatening drive of the game. The second occurred in Super Bowl X vs. the Dallas Cowboys, when his interception of a Roger Staubach “Hail Mary” ended the game and sealed back-to-back Super Bowl wins.

After a season of fractiousness and distraction of the 1977, Chuck Noll decided to make a change at the safety position that featured Edwards, Shell, and Mike Wagner.

Michael MacCambridge – Chuck Noll His Life’s Work:

Chuck made the decision to trade Glen Edwards—Donnie Shell was overdue for a starting job anyway, and he could be moved to strong safety. The discussion between Chuck and Edwards was typically short, with Chuck informing Edwards he’d been traded to the Chargers, thanking him for his hard work, and wishing him good luck in the future. (“He put his head down, and couldn’t look me in the eyes,” said Edwards).

The Hit

Wagner shifted to FS and Shell was inserted as the starting SS on the 1978 team, the greatest team in Steelers and NFL history. He was an instant hit, with 3 INTs, 5 fumble recoveries and a game winning TD. Pun intended; it was a hit that was the defining play of his career.

The Steelers were facing the Houston Oilers in a rematch that could clinch the AFC Central Division. The Oilers handed the Steelers their first loss of the season in week 8 and with rookie sensation Earl Campbell delivered a 3 TD whipping on the Steelers defense. Shell saw to it there was no repeat performance. On Campbell’s 7th carry of the game, facing a 2nd and 4, bounced to the outside, eluding L.C. Greenwood. Thanks to a crushing block on Jack Ham, Campbell got the yardage for the first down. Wagner made a desperate dive for Campbell’s legs and got just enough to disrupt his balance, but it put him in the crosshairs of Donnie Shell. Shell delivered a devastating textbook legal hit to Campbell’s midsection, resulting in a fumble and recovery by teammate Ron Johnson. Amid a chorus of booing from the Astrodome, Campbell laid helpless with injuries to his ribs that would impact the rest of the Oilers season. The Steelers went on to clinch the division and manhandled the Oilers in a third rematch for the AFC Championship and through Super Bowl XIII.

There was a reason that Dwight White nicknamed Shell “The Torpedo.”

A Long Wait Ends​

Donnie Shell was one of the last members of the Steelers dynasty when he retired in 1987. The “long shot” who couldn’t catch ended his career with 51 career interceptions. He turned out far better than the 65 DBs who got a call on during the 1974 NFL draft and his wait to get the call for Canton was long overdue. He now becomes the 5th member of the Steel Curtain defense to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. It was well worth the wait for a man who chose to believe in himself against the odds.

Thoughts or comments? Leave one below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Shell was always a favorite of mine. Love guys who go undrafted and work their ***** off to get the starting spot

His hit on Earl was ******* awesome

Had to rewatch that after seeing him tonight. And I don't know if people (well, outside of SN) realize the guy was less than 200 lbs in his heyday.

L.C. needs to join his shoes in Canton.

Had to rewatch that after seeing him tonight. And I don't know if people (well, outside of SN) realize the guy was less than 200 lbs in his heyday.

Compact explosive power going all out.

The reward of hitting the hardest.