• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Day 2.

I love it. We need a returner its something we've lacked forever. Steelers timed him in the sub 4.2's. We cant have AB back returning anymore as hes our all pro receiver. I love our draft so far.

Didn't they draft Le'Veon Bell to be an every down back? They raved about what a great pass catcher he is and how he'll stay in there on 3rd downs.

Then they sign Blunt as a short yardage guy and Archer as a scat back. So much for every down Bell.

Blount is not just a short yardage guy, he's a guy you could live with if Bell got hurt. Jones and Dwyer, not so much.

I don't think we use him as a pound the rock back. I think he's a Sproles or McCluster guy you find ways to get the ball into his hands. Can't teach speed and I think his return ability alone is worth the pick and if you get more it's icing on the cake. I hope he returns kicks and punts and gets 5-10 other touches a game.

They did not pound the rock with Rainey either. In fact, they tried to sweep him. They tried a variety of things. The only effective thing was fumbling.

And, he is not a punt returner, was horrible at it in college, so much so they took it away from him. His career average on kickoffs was 6 yards better than the JAGs we used last season. Woohooo.

This kid could can play in the slot and excel i think. Good hands. Caught the ball naturally effortlessly..didnt look uncomfortable at all.

What DBs are he going to beat at 5'7 173? Besides, slot guys get hit more than just about any player on the field. Archer had an injury history at Kent State. I doubt the NFL will take it easier.

He'll play until the first good hit. After that he will be on injured reserve. He looks great in college cause of slower smaller players. He is still fast but if a safety gets a shot on him he is likely done for the day. Maybe he can return. he sure won't be able to block on third downs deon sanders retired and other than him I can't think of any one he can block.

Maybe the defenseless receiver rule will come into play , this guy looks defenseless even if he sees it coming.

They did not pound the rock with Rainey either. In fact, they tried to sweep him. They tried a variety of things. The only effective thing was fumbling.

And, he is not a punt returner, was horrible at it in college, so much so they took it away from him. His career average on kickoffs was 6 yards better than the JAGs we used last season. Woohooo.

That was a Rainey problem though. I can't remember the amount of times he fell while trying to cut up the field untouched. He also had a surprisingly slow first step and couldn't catch to save his life.

Day 2 in the books.

Last edited:

He's not Rainey. It's like saying because Limas Sweed was a bust we should be pissed when we draft a receiver. I like the pick and I hope he has a long and great career!

He's not Rainey. It's like saying because Limas Sweed was a bust we should be pissed when we draft a receiver. I like the pick and I hope he has a long and great career!

That's not the same because WRs like Sweed excel all the time in the NFL. Nobody with Archer's frame, lack of polish, and durability issues succeeds. Even shrimps like Sproles and DeSean Jackson are bigger and actually have roles on their offenses.

Tavon Austin went 8 overall. I think Archer has that type of talent but we got him 97 overall!

The former Kent State standout ran a blazing 4.26-second 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine, threatening Chris Johnson’s all-time Indianapolis record of 4.24 seconds.

Archer covered the 40 yards with a record-low 18 steps (tying Calvin Johnson). One scout hand-timed Archer’s Combine run at 4.18 seconds.

Archer can contribute in the return game, as a slot receiver, and as a third-down running back.

DraftNasty.com, run by former NFL safety Corey Chavous, sees Archer as “even more naturally explosive and elusive than . . . Tavon Austin.”

If Archer is merely as explosive and elusive as Austin, the Steelers have found a guy who can help the team gain yards and score points.

Name ONE RB in the last 12 years or so that has made it in the NFL that weighted under 180 pounds. Just one.

I can name dozens of WRs Sweed's size that made it. Again, if you were going to invest in the stock market, would you invest in a stock that had a 0.0000000% success rate because you thought this company had the chance to be the one after so many have failed? We just did.

Tavon Austin went 8 overall. I think Archer has that type of talent but we got him 97 overall!

Tavon Austin is a wide receiver, a pure wide receiver. Archer has tiny hands. Archer is not a great route runner. Archer does not have a great catch radius. There are many differences between the WR Austin and the RB Archer. The only similarity is body type and speed. You just made a comment about not drafting a WR because Sweed failed and then want to turn around and state this was a good pick because Austin was a good pick and they are similar.

So, if a WR fails you correlate that to other WRs failing and if a tiny WR is successful, all tiny WRs are? ******* really?

if Archer has such a small catch radius, good thing Ben puts in all that extra time to throw pinpoint accurate passes.

/ scathing sarcasm

If that DE was Tuitt. Maybe it was Aaron Donald. Hard to see the names. Not saying it was Tuitt, but can't be really sure. Although, Dobs makes good guesstimates.

There's a b/w photo in that gallery. Judging by the placards removed from the board, the picture was taken right before they took Shazier. The DE remains, but it appears the DT is gone. I say appears because the photo washes out a bit there from the overhead can lighting. But filtering/adjusting it, it really looks gone to me. If so, there's no other DT that can be than Aaron Donald. The DE has to be Tuitt. Just way too many players to get thru to get to their next DE on their board for that guy to be Tuitt. Tho I'm posting not so much to belabor Tuitt's rating on their board, rather I found it very interesting that Donald was on their board. As a DT/NT.

Tavon Austin is an accomplished WR who can play every down. This kid isn't near his class as a football player. Be real already.

There's a b/w photo in that gallery. Judging by the placards removed from the board, the picture was taken right before they took Shazier. The DE remains, but it appears the DT is gone. I say appears because the photo washes out a bit there from the overhead can lighting. But filtering/adjusting it, it really looks gone to me. If so, there's no other DT that can be than Aaron Donald. The DE has to be Tuitt. Just way too many players to get thru to get to their next DE on their board for that guy to be Tuitt. Tho I'm posting not so much to belabor Tuitt's rating on their board, rather I found it very interesting that Donald was on their board. As a DT/NT.

Fair enough. How do you feel about the 3rd round pick? Just curious....you can PM me if you do not want it out there.....

Wouldn't mind the Archer pick so much if not for their present forest of shrubs. And that he's a luxury pick for a team lacking bare essentials. Like John the Baptist buying a waffle iron.

Shelf life of hot mayonaisse. Baby hands, fumble machine. Big play potential is there..... for both teams. Can't ride in the front seat of cars. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Can't ride in the front seat of cars.

Everyone in the room is wondering why I am laughing out loud. Great line. Will you be here all week? I ordered the veal.

Hell, beginning to think the pick was worth the joke.