• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Eagles making changes

One thing about the Philadelphia Eagles. There ain’t no bs with that organization. They will make changes at any signs of trouble unlike the Steelers who continue to keep things the same expecting different results. Steelers call that stability but I call that being stupid and stubborn.

Funny with the Beagles. Their O was fantastic last year. This year, not so much. What changed? One off year and they can their OC. The Steelers gave Canaduh 2.5 years of crap before they fired him. At least the Beagle OC got their O firing on all cylinders last year and for half of this year.

Funny with the Beagles. Their O was fantastic last year. This year, not so much. What changed? One off year and they can their OC. The Steelers gave Canaduh 2.5 years of crap before they fired him. At least the Beagle OC got their O firing on all cylinders last year and for half of this year.
Seems Hurts contributed....15 picks.

One thing about the Philadelphia Eagles. There ain’t no bs with that organization. They will make changes at any signs of trouble unlike the Steelers who continue to keep things the same expecting different results. Steelers call that stability but I call that being stupid and stubborn.
But outside of the fact that the Eagles won the SB more recently (2017), what has been their success that is so much greater than the Steelers to show that approach is better? It is about winning championships, right?

Brian Johnson was a close friend of Hurts for 20 years. Maybe that’s why he got the gig after Steichen left for the Colts HC job. He seemed to be in over his head. A lot of the RPO gimmicks did not work as well this year as defenses adjusted and he didn’t appear to know what else to do. Eagles had a top OL and great weapons and that offense went down the tubes.

If the Eagles had all these championships I could understand, but they don't. As a matter of fact, outside of a few years in the last 30 or so, since Lurie has been there, they have largely disappointed. I don't see their approach being better. I am NOT supporting the Steelers approach of keeping a coach indefinitely. I just don't like the assertion that the Eagle way is better.

But outside of the fact that the Eagles won the SB more recently (2017), what has been their success that is so much greater than the Steelers to show that approach is better? It is about winning championships, right?
Yes it’s about winning championships but the Eagles at least are in contention every year for the SB. We’re not! That’s been replaced it seems with non losing seasons.

Yes it’s about winning championships but the Eagles at least are in contention every year for the SB. We’re not! That’s been replaced it seems with non losing seasons.
Whoa. 2014-2017 for example the Steelers were strongly in contention. That wasn't good enough. You cannot change the goalposts to make your point.

Whoa. 2014-2017 for example the Steelers were strongly in contention. That wasn't good enough. You cannot change the goalposts to make your point.
The Steelers with the talent they had from 2011 to 2019 was good enough to make multiple SB runs. There was one constant in all of this though. The HC.
They had talent everywhere and a franchise QB but could only make it to one AFCCG. Not good! That window was open and the HC Tomlin ******* couldn’t deliver.
The Eagles in that position would have been moving on from a Tomlin.

The Steelers with the talent they had from 2011 to 2019 was good enough to make multiple SB runs. There was one constant in all of this though. The HC.
They had talent everywhere and a franchise QB but could only make it to one AFCCG. Not good! That window was open and the HC Tomlin ******* couldn’t deliver.
The Eagles in that position would have been moving on from a Tomlin.
Fine. I agree about Tomlin. But the Eagles haven't had much more overall success than the Steelers over the years the way they do it. They have had some real good talent too. I just take issue with the contention that their way is so much better. If they had a lot more success, sure. They haven't, os the jury is out.

Fine. I agree about Tomlin. But the Eagles haven't had much more overall success than the Steelers over the years the way they do it. They have had some real good talent too. I just take issue with the contention that their way is so much better. If they had a lot more success, sure. They haven't, os the jury is out.
Yes but the Eagles have been very competitive for a long time.
They’re always in the conversation about SB contenders and after they won their last one they didn’t waste time dumping Doug Pederson after a couple so so seasons. That tells me they don’t want to rest on their laurels and are always trying to get better.
I’m not saying they have the magic formula but I give them lots of credit for not sitting on their hands like Art II.

Big market team… with big market media and loud mouth fans..
You can throw that organization and fan base into the deepest part of the Delaware for all I care…
Thank you and please

Brian Johnson was a close friend of Hurts for 20 years. Maybe that’s why he got the gig after Steichen left for the Colts HC job. He seemed to be in over his head. A lot of the RPO gimmicks did not work as well this year as defenses adjusted and he didn’t appear to know what else to do. Eagles had a top OL and great weapons and that offense went down the tubes.
Definitely the defensives of the league adjusted to Hurt. I think nagging injuries also contributed.

Yes but the Eagles have been very competitive for a long time.
They’re always in the conversation about SB contenders and after they won their last one they didn’t waste time dumping Doug Pederson after a couple so so seasons. That tells me they don’t want to rest on their laurels and are always trying to get better.
I’m not saying they have the magic formula but I give them lots of credit for not sitting on their hands like Art II.
I'm really not trying to argumentative...I just have to ask the next question. Was dumping Pederson the right move? They didn't screw around with Pederson, they made a move! I live in Eagles country. The mood over here now is most of them want to dump Sirianni. Is it good to dump coaches every few years? At this point the dumping of Pederson got them a good year with a Super Bowl loss. But now it is a damn mess. Did they do the right thing?

Look, I agree the problem with the Steelers way is you hold onto a coach too long. That has happened here. However, I don't think the 3-5 year model is conducive to success either, or the success we expect. I don't think we should laud the "they don't mess around" idea unless there is real success.

Woah there. That’s a pretty big “outside of the fact”😉😉
Is it? So you are saying if hypothetically Tomlin coached the Steelers to the championship in 2017 you'd be fine with his or the teams results now?

Is it? So you are saying if hypothetically Tomlin coached the Steelers to the championship in 2017 you'd be fine with his or the teams results now?
Are you serious? I’d be a hell of a lot finer with his results if we one the SB in 2017. I can’t believe you would even ask that. It would mean he had rebuilt the team into his own and won the big one. I know that you can remember the last SB we won. It was a hell of a lot before 2017. Seriously.

Fine. I agree about Tomlin. But the Eagles haven't had much more overall success than the Steelers over the years the way they do it. They have had some real good talent too. I just take issue with the contention that their way is so much better. If they had a lot more success, sure. They haven't, is the jury is out.
They won a SB not long ago and we’re in last years SB.
They are much,much closer to going back to the SB next year than we are. We’re not even in the same stratosphere of SB contenders.

Are you serious? I’d be a hell of a lot finer with his results if we one the SB in 2017. I can’t believe you would even ask that. It would mean he had rebuilt the team into his own and won the big one. I know that you can remember the last SB we won. It was a hell of a lot before 2017. Seriously.
I've been on this board a long time. I do remember the last time. I also remember they went two years later. I also remember that when they lost that game people were calling for him to be fired. I have read a number of times on here people saying they were done with Tomlin after that SB loss. So to review, some people were ready to be done with Tomlin after 4 years, 2 SB appearances and 1 championship. Sorry if I am not buying what you are selling about being a lot finer with his results if he had won in 2017.

But that is really in the weeds. What I am objecting to is the idea that the Eagles don't mess around...they see a problem and they fix it. The contention being the Steelers don't. And hell, I agree the Steelers don't. But I don't know that the Eagles way is all that more successful. Their fans want to run Sirianni. Why weren't they satisfied with Pederson when they ran him? Why do they want Sirianni gone? Should they be a lot finer since they won it in 2017? Man, there has to be some logical middle ground between keeping a coach forever like the Steelers do and running one after a few years.