• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Eagles players will not go to White House

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...anning-to-go-to-the-white-house/#152c22665d28

With the Philadelphia Eagles upsetting the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII, one of the questions that have surfaced has been whether there might be any players protesting a visit to the White House. As has been the case for more than one administration, not surprisingly players—like the rest of the country—have differing views about the state of whoever is the president of the U.S. at any given time.

With many African-American players using the national anthem protests as a way to bring what they see as justice inequality to people's attention and President Trump jumping more than once into the fray, visiting the White House has become a polarizing topic. Already, the Golden State Warriors had several players and coach Steve Kerr make critical comments about Trump that resulted in many saying they would not make a trip to the White House, which caused the president to say the team wasn’t invited.

Back to the Eagles: Thus far, receiver Torrey Smith, safety Malcolm Jenkins, running back LeGarrette Blount, and defensive end Chris Long have said they will not be making the trip to visit the White House.

Long’s decision seemed a foregone conclusion given he skipped the visit last year when he was with the Patriots. When he was asked about attending with the Eagles, Long said, “Are you kidding me?” The outspoken defensive end donated all his 2017 earnings to charity, with his first six paychecks going to fund scholarships in Charlottesville, his hometown and the location of violent protests with white nationalists that had James Fields Jr. kill Heather D. Heyer when he drove his car into counter-protesters.

Malcolm Jenkins, speaking on CNN, said he did not anticipate attending any team visit to the White House.

“I don’t have a message for the president. My message has been clear all year. I’m about creating positive change in the communities that I come from … I want to see changes in our criminal justice system.

“I want to see us push for economical and educational advancement in communities of color and low-income communities, and I want to see our relationships between our communities and our law enforcement be advanced.

“That’s what myself and my peers have been pushing for for the last two years, and that’s what I’ll continue to do.”

Trump is not the only president to see players not attend the traditional meeting of championship teams to the White House.

Philadelphia Eagles star Malcolm Jenkins says he intends to skip the team's upcoming visit to the White House to commemorate their Super Bowl victory https://t.co/l0GhR7jev7 pic.twitter.com/mIDgaCuPtt

— CNN (@CNN) February 5, 2018

Smith addressed whether he would attend prior to the Super Bowl.

"We read the news just like everyone else," Smith said on Wednesday. "You see Donald Trump tweet something ... We have those conversations in the locker room, just like everyone else does in the workplace. We're very informed about what goes on, and we're trying to continue to educate ourselves. It's pretty special to have a group like that of folks that aren't just socially conscious, but folks who genuinely care about people and care about learning more.

"I'm not saying we're right about everything, but we're willing to figure out what is right. We're willing to work with people to find the best way to move forward, because there are problems and we're not shy about speaking up about them."

Blount said on the Rich Eisen show prior to the game, “I will not be going to the White House. I don't feel welcome in that house. I'll leave it at that."

Trump congratulated the Super Bowl LII champs on Monday morning. He has not yet made comment about those not attending.

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles on a great Super Bowl victory!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 5, 2018

Last year, Blount, Long, safety Devin McCourty, defensive tackle Alan Branch, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, safety Devin McCourty, wide receiver Danny Amendola, and quarterback Tom Brady were part of more than two dozen players from the Patriots that did not attend the White House visit with Trump. Brady had initially said he would attend but later backed out.

Trump is not the only president to see players not attend the traditional meeting of championship teams to the White House.

Brady also skipped attending the White House visit when Obama was president in 2015. Former Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk did not go in 2012 when Obama was in the White House citing the then president’s support of Planned Parenthood. Tim Thomas, who was on the 2011 Stanley Cup winning Boston Bruins did not attend with Obama at the helm saying, “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.” In 1984, Hall of Fame NBA player Larry Bird did not go to the Reagan White House saying of the president, "If the president wants to see me, he knows where to find me." And Mark Chmura of the ’96 Super Bowl winning Green Bay Packers refused to visit the White House when Clinton was in office after the Monica Lewinsky scandal saying, "It doesn't really say much for society and the morals [Clinton] sets forth for our children."

my question for these overpaid man-children:

if you're working for social justice, in your communities, in prisons, etc, what other venue could you possibly have where you can meet the head of the country, the man essentially in charge, and have a "woke" conversation? Why not take your agenda to him? Present it to him with as much goddamned eloquence as you can muster and attempt to make huge strides in the change you seek, instead of being whiny ******* and focusing on minimal gain with maximum effort?

It's their choice and their right not to. I didn't care when athletes chose not to visit with Obama and I didn't care when athletes chose not to visit with President Bush. It's just more proof of how divided The country is that no one can sit down and be civil and put aside partisanship long enough to to even accecpt congratulations from someone who they disagree with politically.

don't misunderstand... I couldn't possibly care any less about their bullshit.

but when we are constantly bombarded with the message of "we need to have a conversation about ____" or "It's time we discuss ____" and "we need to be woke" ... then the ******* decide to NOT meet with the very man who CAN make all of that happen...

hippo crates

Fine. Just make sure you give your tax cut back.

Lowest rated championship game in 8 years, and viewership down nearly 10% all year. I don't give a flip if they go to Wash, DC, disneyland, or mecca. Just leave the politics out of it.

Who cares. If I was a player I would not have gone to a Clinton or Obama White House. This was funny though -
“I want to see us push for economical and educational advancement in communities of color and low-income communities, and I want to see our relationships between our communities and our law enforcement be advanced.
Hey dumdum, black unemployment is down and wages are up - exactly the opposite of what Obama managed to accomplish. Trump is for school choice, which will benefit inner cities way more than throwing more money at the useless education dept which keeps failing the inner cities. As far as police relations go, maybe you can actually help if you go in there and promote law abiding behavior.

I think I would be fired if I tried to protest or push an agenda that doesn't fit my company. I do not understand how it is a players right to not go when they are representing their team. I felt this way when they wouldn't see Bush, Obama etc

This thread is a whole lotta Phuck. How Phun.

The Revolutionary War Patriot and the symbol of America- the Bald Eagle.

In the wake of the National Anthem kneeling controversy, its funny how it has never been mentioned that the two SB teams historic cities Boston and Philadelphia played important roles in the founding of this country....and to congratulate the a-hole players who wear those symbols to have found it within themselves to stand for the Anthem.
Didn't know you had it in ya.

Last edited:
How entitled are they to turn down a visit to the White House! Most of us could only dream of such an opportunity. Spoiled, entitled brats.

Chris Long is the poster child for white guilt. Constantly apologizing for growing up with the money his dad worked hard to earn.

Malcolm Jenkins gave super bowl tickets to a convicted murderer. His big goal is prison reform, meaning he wants criminal to have lighter sentences. Yep, don't do the hard work of asking WHY so many in poor communities commit crimes, just take the easy road of trying to get lighter sentences. Like a teacher changing grades instead of making sure the kids learn.

What exactly does "get woke" mean? How can ANYONE take people seriously when they talk like this?

What exactly does "get woke" mean? How can ANYONE take people seriously when they talk like this?

You'd think they'd "get woke" after a Colts player was just killed by an illegal immigrant.

That tiny, minuscule, almost non existent, sliver of respect I had for them after winning the Super Bowl just disappeared.

Not surprised.

so. basically it's: we want change and dialog, but will not represent our team with the most powerful man in the country? It's a stupid protest that looks silly. You are the champions of the world and when it comes down to it, not going does nothing, but makes you look silly and immature. A WH visit is not political. It's a celebration to be with your team and brothers one last time. I would be proud to go, no matter who is in office.

You'd think they'd "get woke" after a Colts player was just killed by an illegal immigrant.

I hope Malcolm Jenkins puts his money where his mouth is and hires the best attorney available to ensure that the illegal immigrant who killed Edwin Jackson is given the lightest sentence allowable, in a prison where he can be taught and given tools to succeed in our society, and upon his release, Jenkins gives him a job paying twice the minimum wage at one of his businesses which does not have walls since walls are raysiss.

and that run-on sentence just made me cringe.

Lowest rated championship game in 8 years, and viewership down nearly 10% all year. I don't give a flip if they go to Wash, DC, disneyland, or mecca. Just leave the politics out of it.

Right who cares if 4 of say 70 people invited do not show up.

That tiny, minuscule, almost non existent, sliver of respect I had for them after winning the Super Bowl just disappeared.

Not surprised.

I lost it 2 min after the game ended. They did one thing good their whole friggen lives, then became nothing to me.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't care either way. Politicizing your invitation to the White House is the 'new hotness' -- but it will die away when they realize that no one really cares.