• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

early mock 3 rounds based on our biggest needs

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Biggest needs RT, C, QB, ILB, DT

this is based on a PFF mock draft and uses the best rankings Walter Football. rankings
18 RT JC Lathem Chuks cut big cap savings and you get a big physical RT, that allows you to flip Jones back to LT
46 JJ Mcarthy very smart kid, a tremendous leader, has great arm strength, and is a true playmaker with 4.4 speed. With a new OC, you have a perfect guy if Kenny is not the answer you have a great prospect and solid insurance. Let's say Kenny has a great year you have solid trade bait.
if you draft him with a new scheme and the weapons we have you will see him optimize them to the max esp Pickens and DJ, in his 2 years starting for UM has never had elite starters at WR but more so at TE.
82 G/C Zinter, is a true leader in the locker room and a dominant run blocker, I would if he falls this much from the broken len Tibula snatches him and convert him from RG to C ASAP like Hartings.
If drafted he could bring the stability at C that Hartings and Pounce

Biggest needs RT, C, QB, ILB, DT

this is based on a PFF mock draft and uses the best rankings Walter Football. rankings
18 RT JC Lathem Chuks cut big cap savings and you get a big physical RT, that allows you to flip Jones back to LT
46 JJ Mcarthy very smart kid, a tremendous leader, has great arm strength, and is a true playmaker with 4.4 speed. With a new OC, you have a perfect guy if Kenny is not the answer you have a great prospect and solid insurance. Let's say Kenny has a great year you have solid trade bait.
if you draft him with a new scheme and the weapons we have you will see him optimize them to the max esp Pickens and DJ, in his 2 years starting for UM has never had elite starters at WR but more so at TE.
82 G/C Zinter, is a true leader in the locker room and a dominant run blocker, I would if he falls this much from the broken len Tibula snatches him and convert him from RG to C ASAP like Hartings.
If drafted he could bring the stability at C that Hartings and Pounce
I like picks 18 and 82 But I don't think McCarthy will be there at 46, I also think we will be picking higher than 18.

I love attacking tge OL. I hope we trade some dead wood for more picks and try to reset the culture, but I really doubt that is going to happen

They will take a QB, but it will be late. He will never amount to squat, but homers will call for him to start day 1.

They will take a QB, but it will be late. He will never amount to squat, but homers will call for him to start day 1.
Exactly. I don't see QB being anywhere in their thought process early unless one of the top prospects falls for some reason and even then, I don't think they go QB any earlier than the 5th round and probably later than that. The only real QB "need" is for backups. I still think KP is without a doubt QB1 next year. If he stinks it up for half a season, they may look to trade for someone or let one of the backups play but KP is QB1 next year.

Exactly. I don't see QB being anywhere in their thought process early unless one of the top prospects falls for some reason and even then, I don't think they go QB any earlier than the 5th round and probably later than that. The only real QB "need" is for backups. I still think KP is without a doubt QB1 next year. If he stinks it up for half a season, they may look to trade for someone or let one of the backups play but KP is QB1 next year.
:puking2::puking2::puking2:

Art II will not throw the towel in on Kenny after just two seasons. No way Jose!
I could see them trying to move Mitch for a late round pick and not re signing Mason either.
I think they will sign a veteran in FA to push Kenny and eventually be his backup and no it won’t be Cousins.
Then I think they draft a QB fourth round maybe or a bit later.
Organization needs to shed some cap dollars with guys like Mitch, Larry O, Chuks, and trading DJ.

This is a very deep QB draft. If there’s a QB there with the first round pick that they like as much, or more than they liked Pickett, they should absolutely draft him. If they can draft a LB in the first round 5 out of 7 years including 3 consecutive years, they can draft 2 QBs in 3 years.

Round 1: A dominant center. Preferably one who also has at least half a brain and can make the last second blocking calls. Sedrick Van Pran or Zach Frazier would do nicely.

Overall, heavy on the IOL, IDL, DB, and ILB.

this was after the loss on PFF draft similator I think we beat colts and Bengals lose to Seattle if /geno plays and lose to Lamar unless tj and Highsmith go off.
9-8 I see that as 10-13
If that is number one, Lets go with I am currently on pff and am using the at 10.
so rnd 1
BPA 10 CB Kool Aid- Mckinstry
42 QB Mccarty
74 RT Puni
Fills major voids as you have 2 elite CBs that are long and fast and can cover the island
Get a future franchise QB who in some ways reminds me of Brees, accurate quick but taller and stronger arm, with the right qb coach and OC he could look like Brees out there at worst you have a better Bayker MayField who from day 1 has zero baggage and leadership traits who wants to be the best 6"2 220 4.3

Let's say we pick 15-18 barrings some inside locker rumblings with some talk that Art may be 50/50 to let Tomlin go or let him play out his deal with no Extension which means he has to earn it next year, min AFC North a playoff win and a stable O. The rumblings would be Minkah, Cam, TJ let guys have it that have been half-assing or bitching, minkah referred to guys that just think drafted makes you a steeler and they have acted like they do not have to earn that Stripe on the helmet.
That Pickens, DJ maybe Harris can say from lack of play time Leal throws in Chukes as well.
18 RT Lataham Bama Mountian of a man that will immediately be better than Chukes was ever as at RT and allow you to have Jones at LT.
50 C Van Pran Georgia, perfect size 6"4 310 would give you the type long long-term starter like Pouncey or Hartings a decade is nasty, feisty and comes from winning tradition
100 BPA ILB Junior Colson needs youth here, Solid 3 down ILB can play both the run and pass well with 1 starter next year coming back from a broken leg, and your main starter Edwards mid 30 needs some youth, and say we get Kwon back and maybe camp invite Walker who I think sucks but camp body can't hurt, your final 4 ILB
Edwards Holcomb Alexander Colson
QB I would trow our 4th and future 6 for Fields for competition, and Fields has all the tools to be good, needs a proper OC and with the style of play the OC let's say Byron can make a playbook built around both their strengths agility, once you a stable C and LT then either qb would have time to move around in the pocket and get back to slants inside posts and deep inside crosses.
If no trade Millroe or Rattler and Poach a smart young mind to develop a qb like one of these guys Ken Dorsey or Josh McCown (who worked with great coaches ) or if Kliff wants to eventually be an HC again start here make something of the late rnd qb. or if AZ wants to start fresh and there is some loophole that can trade for Murray with Az retaining the majority of his deal another option as the market is going to be dry. Our QB coaches did jack squat with late-round picks and took their jobs for granted as there was Ben and all just stood and said this kid will never beat him out.
Those wasted picks could have been decent backups with the potential to play like every other team has thrown in in the past 2 years but we can't do squat when we send in the backup.
Dennis Dixon rnd 5 could of least have been used as a gadget QB
Landry Jones can say with Haley they tried he just didn't have the iq
Josh Dobbs made no effort to do anything with him.
Mason Rudolph Still think better than Trib can he with his average mobility be worse than a 40-year-old Flacco by asking him to just spread it out?

It is sickening how many crap QB back up are playing and giving the team a chance Minshew White Flacco DRT, Dobbs

, as far as I am concerned anytime you are absolutely convinced a true franchise guy is out there you jump at him.. even if you already have a guy… because you can always deal a good qb for better returns… but most first round qbs are busts and many are late bloomers… so unless you get a system like SF or Houston has and unless we fix tge oline, it’s probably better to throw draft capital there and add the QB in the future…

The Rooneys are 100% going to give pickett year 3 to make a decision on his fifth year contract and he probably goes into year four at worse in the mix as a potential starter… this team doesn’t cut first round guys early…

Hell how many years did Heyward sit behind Hood while hoods contract ran out?

Its just people itching for new blood as if that is going to change anything if the staff stays stagnant…

I thought that was Mitch's job to begin with, but he just stinks too bad.
No, they were hoping that he would revive his career and be a bridge QB until they could get one in the draft. Turns out he couldn’t do either, so will be expendable.

If it's me, I go OL in the first 3 rounds - OT, G, and a C. Sure up the offensive line as this will help the O be a bit more successful (Must have a good OC hire). In turn, this will help keep the D off the field and rested (Must have a good DC hire)

I would be happy with those three guys at those spots. Here's a different look.

RD1- Terrion Arnold CB Alabama
Has been tested a lot with playing opposite of Kool-Aid but has risen to the challenge. Has only allowed 432 yards and a 52.5 passer rating. Also, has 5 picks and 11 passes defended.
RD2- Maason Smith DL LSU
The former 5 star recruit was supposed to be a top 5 pick but after his ACL injury he has not played the same. I roll the dice with a 6-6 310lb ball of clay and hope his down season was due to the recovery of his knee. 2023 could be Heywards last year but if he stays for 2024 I cannot think of a better mentor for Smith.
RD3- Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon
Watching the tape Powers-Johnson physicality jumps off the screen. He regularly pancakes his man and even though not the quickest lineman I have ever seen he understands his assignment and executes flawlessly when pulling.
RD4a- Kran Amegadjie OT Yale
Has only played on the left side in college but when I watch the tape he has road grading RT written all over him. He regularly is in the second level or setting the edge for the back. He is listed at 6-5 318lbs but he plays like he is 6-8 375lbs. Doesn't just block but tries to bury his man in the ground. Love the aggressiveness.
RD4b- Payton Wilson ILB NC State
We should have Cole and ROberts coming back but this gives us a long term solution at ILB. Wilson is a A+ athlete at 6-4 235lbs and runs a 4.5 with a 36+ inch vert.
RD7a- Gabe Hall DL Baylor
Another physical freak to go along with Smith. 6-6 290lbs is a little too light for a traditional DT and too slow for a DE. He has a great first step and has the ability to split defenders and wreak havoc in the backfield.
RD7b- Tory Taylor P Iowa
If I see one more shank from our punter I am going to throw my remote through the tv. Taylor has a big leg, good hang time, and can pin the opposing team inside the 20. And at 6-4 231lbs he can help cover as well.

Last edited:
latest two-round on Walter Football (Cooch's most favoritester site everester)

23. Chop Robinson, OLB/DE Penn State (@Tim Steelersfan would pull the head off)
54. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State

My mock it:
23. Graham Barton, OT/G/C Dule
hard to pass on another pass rusher, but we've seen with every snap that we need a definite upgrade at C. I'd not pass on Barton... I don't believe. ***Edit*** I never want to see @Tim Steelersfan happy, so that would be my main reason to pass on Chop.

54. Chris Braswell, OLB, Bama.
@bermudasteel would pull it out by the root, and it'd be worth it. Getting a very good pass rusher to come in for Watt/Highsmith and team up that rotation with Herbig would be a nice get.

Walter Football had short run of some pretty accurate mock drafts ( not sure about recent years), but the site is so outdated.

1.23. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Excellent size and speed, has potential to be a true WR1.

2.54 Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Final piece for the interior offensive line.

23. Chop Robinson, OLB/DE Penn State (@Tim Steelersfan would pull the head off)

You sir are correct. Given Chop is a friend of my son, spent the night in my home numerous times and played AAU basketball with my son for years.

To have someone I know play for us yinzers?

I'd die a happy man.

I never want to see @Tim Steelersfan happy, so that would be my main reason to pass on Chop.

iu

Last edited:
This is a very deep QB draft. If there’s a QB there with the first round pick that they like as much, or more than they liked Pickett, they should absolutely draft him. If they can draft a LB in the first round 5 out of 7 years including 3 consecutive years, they can draft 2 QBs in 3 years.
They had a 1st round grade on Rudy....so ummmm. Yeah. OK.

1.23. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Excellent size and speed, has potential to be a true WR1.

2.54 Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Final piece for the interior offensive line.
Well, with the emergence (lack of) CJ and Pickens and their maturity issues, it looks like we have to go WR regardless who is throwing the rock. And no one is questioning if we need a C upgrade. Next two spots up for an upgrade: DL/NT (who Tomlin has NEVER understood the importance of in a 3-4 system for whatever reason) and CB (who it seems JPJ is a keeper but the 2nd CB is bare cupboard). I'd also add a later RB pick for depth and the deletion of Najee by 2025. Oh, how can I forget the ILB spot.

Well, with the emergence (lack of) CJ and Pickens and their maturity issues, it looks like we have to go WR regardless who is throwing the rock. And no one is questioning if we need a C upgrade. Next two spots up for an upgrade: DL/NT (who Tomlin has NEVER understood the importance of in a 3-4 system for whatever reason) and CB (who it seems JPJ is a keeper but the 2nd CB is bare cupboard). I'd also add a later RB pick for depth and the deletion of Najee by 2025. Oh, how can I forget the ILB spot.
I was hoping the Steelers would've been going into the draft with more confidence on offense because a CB1/2 in the first was my primary target. There should also be a few really good players available. However, the receivers have proven to be overrated and yes, the offensive line is important, but so is surrounding young QBs with weapons (see Hurts, Tua, Stroud, etc.). In this particular draft, there was no question to go with Odunze. He is a top-10 talent in this draft.

I was hoping the Steelers would've been going into the draft with more confidence on offense because a CB1/2 in the first was my primary target. There should also be a few really good players available. However, the receivers have proven to be overrated and yes, the offensive line is important, but so is surrounding young QBs with weapons (see Hurts, Tua, Stroud, etc.). In this particular draft, there was no question to go with Odunze. He is a top-10 talent in this draft.
It's just a tough call with our needs. Who do you prioritise with the need of WR QB, C, CB, ILB, DL ALL being so high. And that's not even the real needs at RB, TE and OT being considered. And with the OL, it's hard to tell what positions are a real need with our coaching as bad as it is. Dotson is playing like a top 5 OG in LA yet was so bad here we traded out of here. Who can tell what's what with this horrid coaching situation?