• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

ESPN’s Jeff Darlington on if Browns Cut Baker Mayfield: “I think he signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers the very next day”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We’ve been hearing ongoing speculation for weeks now on whether or not the unlikely chance of Cleveland Browns quarterback, Baker Mayfield could ever find himself competing for the QB1 job in Pittsburgh since the Browns signed Deshaun Watson. Steeler Nation has been mostly disgusted with the thought of seeing Mayfield in black and gold, but one ESPN reporter thinks, albeit small, there’s definitely a chance that could very well happen.

Like @JeffDarlington says, it’s VERY unlikely that the Browns straight up cut Baker Mayfield.

But if they did, the ultimate heel turn would be to sign in Pittsburgh. Steelers have a recent history of bringing former first-round QBs into the fold. Mayfield would be a good fit. https://t.co/iae82ieuEM

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) April 20, 2022

“If for some reason the Browns, and I don’t expect this to happen, were to cut Baker Mayfield, I think he signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers the very next day. Again, teams do still covet Baker Mayfield, they just don’t think that they need to give up as much as the Cleveland Browns are asking right now. This will trigger at some point, and teams will be interested. That day is just not today. ” – Jeff Darlington, ESPN Sports Reporter

We know that Steelers general manager, Kevin Colbert has been vocal about wanting at least four quarterbacks heading into training camp. Would another veteran presence like Mayfield, along with drafting a quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft make the most sense in Pittsburgh? Fans in the Steel City may not like it, but it’s definitely a possibility.

What are the actual odds Baker Mayfield ends up with the Steelers?​

Ever since the Browns secured Watson, the NFL world has wanted to know where Mayfield may end up. Early speculation had a move to the Indianapolis Colts, but with them off the table, oddsmakers have flip-flopped between the Seattle Seahawks as mentioned by Darlington, and the Carolina Panthers. With eight days before the NFL Draft, they seem to finally be throwing their weight behind Carolina.

Oddsmakers are now giving the Panthers +300 odds, or an implied 25% chance to land Mayfield. Their biggest competition is still expected to be the Seahawks at +450, or an implied 18.2% chance. Those aren’t the only teams in the mix though.

The Detroit Lions are given +600 odds, or an implied 14.3% chance to make a shock move for the Browns. Meanwhile, the Steelers are given +1000 odds, or an implied 9.1% chance to figure out a deal with their division rival.

Baker Mayfield Steelers

Photo via Sportskeeda

Quote from OddsChecker spokesman Kyle Newman,

“Reports leading up to the draft seem to indicate that if Baker is going to be moved, it’s going to be to Carolina. Yet, Baker himself has said he believes if he’s traded, it’ll be to Seattle. Who’s right? Oddsmakers are backing the word of reporters rather than Baker. Only time will tell if they got this one right, but oddsmakers haven’t gotten it right on Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson this off-season. So, don’t be shocked if there’s at least one more shock turn of events this off-season.”

Baker Mayfield next team odds:

TeamOddsImplied chance
Carolina Panthers+30025%
Seattle Seahawks+45018.2%
Detroit Lions+60014.3%
Pittsburgh Steelers+10009.1%

For more details on OddsChecker odds, click here.

Where do yinz see Mayfield landing? Would Pittsburgh actually make the most sense? How would yinz feel about that? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

espn is full of idiots

You ******* nailed it Coolie. I despise that god damn company. The commercials used to be funny but the whole schtick making the anchors out to be as big of stars as the athletes got old quick. Add in their force fed political views and it’s an absolute joke. The only thing they’re good to me for is MNF and I do enjoy the 30 for 30 documentaries. But their “insiders” like Schefter are asshats.

If they went into camp with Mayfield, Mason, and Mitch, it wouldn't surprise me whoever turned out to be QB #1

If it meant cutting Mason- ok.
Absolutely not… of the two, which would more likely handle being a backup without devicive self serving nonsense…. People bitched about brown and juju with the spotlight grabbing nonsense they pulled and it’s nothing on the level Baker does… he is a diva through and through…

All this nonsense is meant to keep his name in the public eye….

If they were stupid enough to eat that money, they are trading him out of the conference, not letting him pick his team… at this point they probably need him anyhow… if he refuses to play they probably can void his contract

It is 4/20 today after all.

kXWYn8Z.gif

Isn't Jeff Darlington AB's personal interview/PR guy when he was trashing the Steelers? No respect for that guy.

If it meant cutting Mason- ok.
That's the thing. If we hadn't signed Trubisky I'd say okay. Mayfield makes a lot against the cap and I don't know that cutting Rudolph would give them enough room.
I'm thinking we'll go with Trubisky, Rudolph, and a late round pick or UDFA for our third stringer.